• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
It could just be a shop, but Toys for Bob's recent twitter post looks to show off subtitles finally coming to the game. It would likely be part of a bigger general patch, though I don't think the Switch/PC versions would be announced quite yet (I don't recall when they were for Crash) if they're still happening.

What I mean is, I always believed in you, @SpyroTheDragon!
D1ZuZtzUYAASDCn.jpg:large

Nov 8, 2017
So now that this has been announced for Switch/PC, can we speculate about what differences there will be in each version? I'm really excited for it in Switch but are they going to keep the graphics the same? And hopefully the full game is included on the cart.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
So now that this has been announced for Switch/PC, can we speculate about what differences there will be in each version? I'm really excited for it in Switch but are they going to keep the graphics the same? And hopefully the full game is included on the cart.
From BestBuy "*Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage! and Spyro Year of the Dragon require download via internet."

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any hints of a PS4/Xbox One reissue where you don't have to download most of the game?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gliding in this is the most painful shit ever. I don't remember it being this hard in the originals, idk if the animations are throwing me off or what but I know to hold jump and then jump at the apex of that one but I keep fucking it up on multiple different hard jumps and I'm only in the second world.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gliding in this is the most painful shit ever. I don't remember it being this hard in the originals, idk if the animations are throwing me off or what but I know to hold jump and then jump at the apex of that one but I keep fucking it up on multiple different hard jumps and I'm only in the second world.
Your only supposed to tap jump a second time while jumping to go into a glide, not hold it. I've plat'ed all three games now and I never really had any issues with the jumping, if there's one particular jump your having issues with try doing a running jump (hold down square/X to start charging, then jump for a further jump).

And while I loved Spyro 1 and 2, I felt 3 wasn't quite as good. As with Sly 3, Sonic Adventure 1 (and especially 2) and many other platformer games, adding more playable characters is usually something I hate, and its no different here. It detracts from the core gameplay as they have you playing as shitty friends characters that are just nowhere near as fun to play as. But Spyro 3 doesn't do it too much like Sly 3, so its still a damn solid game.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
100%'d spyro 1 aside from doing the flying missions all in one. Might come back for them, might not.

On 2 now though and why the fuck do level intro cutscenes play multiple times even after you beat a level and why can't you skip them?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Your only supposed to tap jump a second time while jumping to go into a glide, not hold it. I've plat'ed all three games now and I never really had any issues with the jumping, if there's one particular jump your having issues with try doing a running jump (hold down square/X to start charging, then jump for a further jump).

And while I loved Spyro 1 and 2, I felt 3 wasn't quite as good. As with Sly 3, Sonic Adventure 1 (and especially 2) and many other platformer games, adding more playable characters is usually something I hate, and its no different here. It detracts from the core gameplay as they have you playing as shitty friends characters that are just nowhere near as fun to play as. But Spyro 3 doesn't do it too much like Sly 3, so its still a damn solid game.
Spyro 3 Reignited needed a little more time in the oven though. I've had crashes of the game on Xbox one X.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
100%'d spyro 1 aside from doing the flying missions all in one. Might come back for them, might not.

On 2 now though and why the fuck do level intro cutscenes play multiple times even after you beat a level and why can't you skip them?

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating, especially since unlike Spyro 1, you need to revisit levels to complete them at times.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Spyro 3 Reignited needed a little more time in the oven though. I've had crashes of the game on Xbox one X.
I had some crashes as well yeah. One was after the second tank mini game, which was rather annoying (it wasn't super long, but I didn't really like it so completing it, then getting kicked out sucked...)

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating, especially since unlike Spyro 1, you need to revisit levels to complete them at times.
3 does this as well, and in a way I found it more annoying because it separates bits off into their own areas Syro can't explore, made finding all the gems a pain in certain levels (that damn lost fleet level...)

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
I'm finally getting through this and I'm kinda surprised that it seems not many people have played Spyro 3 on PS4.

I think all of the trophies are marked as rare/very rare, I thought I was crazy.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
1 day until the Steam release unlocks. Can't tell you how much I need some simple, relaxing, collectathon fun with a dose of warm nostalgia right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I'm playing on PC and the camera feels way too close to Spyro...is there any fix to that ? Thanks
I was just looking into that, looks like some folks posted tips in the other OT thread:
I believe this wasn´t posted yet:
A 21:9 and fov fix got uploaded to the pc gaming wiki!

Kudos to Rose and killer-m from the wsgf discord.
If you want a bigger fov without the 21:9 fix, here is a way: https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro/comments/d01j12/pc_how_to_change_fov_check_comments/
But it also asks you to install a program, and you have to retype the console command every time you start the game.
Sadly, there isn´t a simple ini fix out there atm.

(You could also go the flawless widescreen route from above, because 16:9 resolutions do still work with it, and you don´t have to retype a console comment upon starting, and you can change the fov via two default hotkeys + and -)
Ahhhh, thank you! That's handy to know in general for UE4 games that resolution scale can be altered via engine.ini, certainly will be doing it here :D

EDIT: Uhh, forgive me...how do you do this exactly? <.< Can't find a line for res scale so I assume it has to be put in manually?

EDIT2: So I found the line "sg.ResolutionQuality=" in GameUserSettings.ini which let me do it. So nice to have the HUD stay at 4k still :D

Use Unreal 4 resolution scale
Navigate to configuration file location.
Open Engine.ini with preferred text editor.
Add the following to the end of the file:
[ConsoleVariables]
r.ScreenPercentage=100
Change 100 to your desired value. 200 means double the dimensions from resolution selected in settings menu.
Save the changes and start the game.
Typing "foliage.ForceLOD 0" into the console extends the draw distance for grass at the cost of some frames.
D4gqT3nL_o.png

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Hello

If I play only one in the trilogy which one should I play ?Which one in the remastered version is the more interesting or fun in term of gameplay, pacing...
I play a lot of games, don't necessaraly finish them, so I'm pretty sure I will not play the 3.

Thanks

Agent Ottsel

Oct 26, 2017
Play the first one! It was already my favorite on the PS1, and even more so in Reignited, where it clearly got the most love and polish by the developers. It has the least distractions in gameplay: Just pure platforming and exploration, with no minigames or other playable characters. It's also the only one that takes place in the Dragon Realms, and easily has the best soundtrack. Just be sure to switch to the original soundtrack on the Pause menu. It sounds way groovier than the "remastered" one.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Play the first one! It was already my favorite on the PS1, and even more so in Reignited, where it clearly got the most love and polish by the developers. It has the least distractions in gameplay: Just pure platforming and exploration, with no minigames or other playable characters. It's also the only one that takes place in the Dragon Realms, and easily has the best soundtrack. Just be sure to switch to the original soundtrack on the Pause menu. It sounds way groovier than the "remastered" one.
Thanks.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'll second Spyro 1. I was never too fond of it on PS1, but on Reignited it's really good (even if I think the levels aside from like 3 or 4 are just average), and there's basically no filler at all. I feel like my patience for gimmick levels in platformers died out, because I've had it for 2 years now and I've still not finished Spyro 2, while Spyro 1 took me like 4 days.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing 2. I had my criticisms of 1 like I thought the levels in general were to short, but 2 makes 1 look like a whole lot better in retrospect. There is no Tree Tops in 2, or anything even close. Levels rarely make you think about how to get to hidden areas like 1 often did. You would think they would up the complexity of enemies or something to make up, but no, it's just the levels got worse. Kind of a bummer because I like the flow of the games and Spyro's abilities.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm new to the franchise since i didn't play the original games but i had a great time playing through the first game (which i just finished). It has a certain simplicity that i like and it's just pure fun. The visuals looks neat though it's a shame the framerate isn't higher (i guess it's 30FPS). It would have been nice if an update was released for current gen consoles (iirc Crash 4 did get an update). And it's a shame Toys For Bob didn't get an opportunity to make a new game as it would probably have been amazing (similar to Crash 4, which i thought was fantastic). But yeah, i'm glad i played it.

I don't know how good Spyro 2 and 3 are compared to Spyro 1 but i'll definately give them a go in the future.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm new to the franchise since i didn't play the original games but i had a great time playing through the first game (which i just finished). It has a certain simplicity that i like and it's just pure fun. The visuals looks neat though it's a shame the framerate isn't higher (i guess it's 30FPS). It would have been nice if an update was released for current gen consoles (iirc Crash 4 did get an update). And it's a shame Toys For Bob didn't get an opportunity to make a new game as it would probably have been amazing (similar to Crash 4, which i thought was fantastic). But yeah, i'm glad i played it.

I don't know how good Spyro 2 and 3 are compared to Spyro 1 but i'll definately give them a go in the future.
Spyro 2 was always considered the best one, but in this collection I'd honestly say Spyro 1 is the best, now they're all polished to the same level. I just looked up and saw that I've posted earlier on this page, but I still stand by my thoughts lol. The simplicity of Spyro 1 is its key strength. Hell, it only has like 2 or 3 levels that I think are really good (Tree Tops and I think it was called Dark Passage are the only two that spring to mind at the moment), but its lack of bloat makes the whole experience much more appealing to me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Id only played Spyro 1-3 via the recent collection and thought 1&2 were excellent games through and through. Didnt have nearly as much fun with 3 though, every time they swapped the focus away from Spyro I felt myself getting bored (just like any platformer which does the same, bar Crash 4 which actually did it better)

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

Spyro 2 has minigames in the different sections of the level, but Spyro 3 has these minigames in their own mini-levels. I liked 2 as they were doing more world ideas with focus with mild bloat.
Spyro 2 was always considered the best one, but in this collection I'd honestly say Spyro 1 is the best, now they're all polished to the same level.
Spyro 3 is the worst in this collection for stability. I just beat it on the switch and the game is only slightly more stable than the Xbox version originally was. The third game is missing that last bit of polish, it doesn't feel completely right but I was glad to beat them.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spyro 2 was always considered the best one, but in this collection I'd honestly say Spyro 1 is the best, now they're all polished to the same level. I just looked up and saw that I've posted earlier on this page, but I still stand by my thoughts lol. The simplicity of Spyro 1 is its key strength. Hell, it only has like 2 or 3 levels that I think are really good (Tree Tops and I think it was called Dark Passage are the only two that spring to mind at the moment), but its lack of bloat makes the whole experience much more appealing to me.
Yeah, as a Spyro fan since the PS1 games I always loved Spyro 2 the most. But in this collection Spyro 1 is the best and after that 2 and last is 3.
Still all three games in this collection are amazing and worth playing, but I often feel that with Spyro 3 they tried to shove in way too much.

Also in the Reignited Trilogy the third game kind of feels the least polished.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the first game so much that i jumped straight into the second one yesterday (i intended to leave a bit of time between games to avoid burn out). I'd say Spyro 2 is a typical sequel game with more of everything, more cutscenes, more dialogue and NPC's, more gameplay mechanics, more to collect, more mini games, ... I think i preferred the simplicity and bare bones approach of the first game but i'm still having a lot of fun so far.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh I think they're all very close in quality. As a kid, 3 was my favorite. But now I think I like them all basically the same.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Spyro 2. I preferred Spyro 1 but still had a lot of fun with the sequel. I think i'll take a break now before starting Spyro 3 :)

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
In the meantime, i started Spyro 3 but i enjoyed it a lot less than the first two games so i decided to drop it. There were too many mini games which i didn't enjoy. I also had the impression it was the least polished game. Also, maybe i felt a bit of fatigue playing the 3 games so close to each other. Still, i had a blast with the first two games so the collection was worth buying.

Let's hope Kao The Kangoroo, which releases soon, is decent. After this collection, i'm in the mood for more 3D platform games.