• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Spyro 2 has always been my favorite, but my run through Spyro 3 gave me a newfound appreciation for it. I probably played through that one once, and always went back for another run of 2.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Spyro 1 finally and I went through world 1 like it was nothing. The simplicity of the game just makes it so easy to relax to.

Oct 26, 2017
Cliff Town in Spyro 1

I have scoured the whole damn level and yet it says 367/400 crystals. Is this a bug or what am I missing here?

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yep I'm doing that now and Sparx just points at the start of the level now and there's nothing here at all. This is probably a bug. Enabled the map too, nothing on it.

EDIT

Oh wow, they sure are sneaky with some of those. Got em!
Some really fun level design and secrets in the first game. Loved rediscovering this myself, before I even realized the Sparx thing was available.

Oct 26, 2017
So far I've been 100%ing the levels and having a blast doing so. But then I see I also have to 100% those flight levels. Jesus.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hit a game halting bug in Spyro 3, this blasted possum prospector refuses to enter the ship on lost fleet and open the treasure chest, he just eternally gestures towards the now broken hole into the...hull.

Anyway, it turns out that I'm not the only one with this problem but it's also not that widespread, no idea what causes this to occur but since getting the direct path through this stage is necessary to reach the next batch of levels, I'm kinda sunk here until Activision patch this.
Which they seem to show no signs of doing soon at any rate.

A shame really, at least I wasn't going for 100% here, I'd have cried if I forced myself through skateboarding stuff for nothing

Oct 26, 2017
I've now 100%ed every world and level up to Magic crafters World. Feels good!

I have this... urge I guess to fully finish all the levels and current worlds before going to a new one. Loving it.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I gave Spyro (the first one) more of a go after initially writing it off based off of Artisans and its respective levels and I'm glad I did because it does pick up- several of the levels are good and its gameplay is solid throughout albeit it's still easy and simplistic. None of the levels are even great- never mind excellent-which is a shame, but I have to give the devs on this remake a lot of credit because despite the core of the original game being a good PS1 era platformer they have done well to remake it to such an extent that it doesn't really feel like that you know? It's a great remake of an unspectacular game IMO. Looking forward to finishing it and going back to 3 which I feel is better overall and a lot more nostalgic for me.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hit a game halting bug in Spyro 3, this blasted possum prospector refuses to enter the ship on lost fleet and open the treasure chest, he just eternally gestures towards the now broken hole into the...hull.

Anyway, it turns out that I'm not the only one with this problem but it's also not that widespread, no idea what causes this to occur but since getting the direct path through this stage is necessary to reach the next batch of levels, I'm kinda sunk here until Activision patch this.
Which they seem to show no signs of doing soon at any rate.

A shame really, at least I wasn't going for 100% here, I'd have cried if I forced myself through skateboarding stuff for nothing
Did exiting and re-entering the stage fix it? Typically that fixes most bugs I've encountered.

Oct 26, 2017
All this talk about wiped save files are really scaring me. I'm at 55 percentage in total of the first one. Why didn't they just add a way to save your own game? That way I would have had the same save file twice, just to be sure. Or let us just copy the save file to a second slot.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Are you pressing left stick. It will nod you to the direction where the gems are located.

OMG I lost so much time not knowing this.
giphy.webp

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum gotten on Spyro 1 and 2. I'm working through Darksiders 3 and then I'll return to finish off Spyro 3.

Absolutely loving the experience. I only ever finished the original back in the day but these are just wonderfully relaxing to play with just the right amount of challenge in getting 120% on them. The consistency of the visual presentation across the games really makes the whole package feel cohesive as hell. I dug the Crash remake but thee games are just easier to get into.

I look forward to getting the Plat in the third game soon.

Nov 4, 2017
I got the platinum on the first Spyro last week and enjoyed every second of it. But... I'm having a hard time getting into 2. I don't know why. Do the extra characters pay off eventually?

Oct 31, 2017
I got the platinum on the first Spyro last week and enjoyed every second of it. But... I'm having a hard time getting into 2. I don't know why. Do the extra characters pay off eventually?
I'd say no, not really, and that the characters/game design changes of the second and third games are why I personally think each sequel is worse than the one prior. Though I know there are many people who would say the opposite, that the added "depth" to the games make them superior to the original game. I just happen to like the simplicity and atmosphere of that first game the most.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more how the game is structured as compared to the first. Each "world" in the first game generally had a set number of levels which were that main focus. You's free dragons, get the gems, move on. While the hub areas were generally pretty quick to get through. The second game has fewer worlds but they are much bigger hub areas with unlockable areas, secrets, etc. The simplicity that defined the first game feels less defined. It took me awhile to get used to the structure, level variety and how the progression works but it did click with me after a few levels. I think I'll be able to settle into 3 better because I've read it's similar to 2 in a lot of ways but your not wrong in feeling how you do. Give it a little time.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017

I felt this way too, but then it just clicks. Currently half way through Spyro 2 having platinum'd the first.

As described by others, less hub worlds but more complex level design... overall I'd say it's better than the first now!

Nov 4, 2017
I'd say no, not really, and that the characters/game design changes of the second and third games are why I personally think each sequel is worse than the one prior. Though I know there are many people who would say the opposite, that the added "depth" to the games make them superior to the original game. I just happen to like the simplicity and atmosphere of that first game the most.
Damn! The simplicity and atmosphere are what I loved about the first game. Oh well, I'll power through and see if 2/3 grow on me. I don't think I'll plat them though.
I think it's more how the game is structured as compared to the first. Each "world" in the first game generally had a set number of levels which were that main focus. You's free dragons, get the gems, move on. While the hub areas were generally pretty quick to get through. The second game has fewer worlds but they are much bigger hub areas with unlockable areas, secrets, etc. The simplicity that defined the first game feels less defined. It took me awhile to get used to the structure, level variety and how the progression works but it did click with me after a few levels. I think I'll be able to settle into 3 better because I've read it's similar to 2 in a lot of ways but your not wrong in feeling how you do. Give it a little time.

I felt this way too, but then it just clicks. Currently half way through Spyro 2 having platinum'd the first.

As described by others, less hub worlds but more complex level design... overall I'd say it's better than the first now!
Cheers! I'll keep at it and see if they click for me.

Oct 31, 2017
Damn! The simplicity and atmosphere are what I loved about the first game. Oh well, I'll power through and see if 2/3 grow on me. I don't think I'll plat them though.
They are still worth playing and I think they are still enjoyable, especially the second game (although I think the last third of the game is quite a bit weaker). The sequels just have the same problem most mascot platforming games had around that time period: forced gameplay diversification/minigames and new, worse "friends". The third game is especially bad with that, as you play as characters other than Spyro for probably a quarter of the overall game, and I personally don't think any of the alternative gameplay is that fun. Agent 9 in the third game is at least kind of interesting from a "historical" perspective in that his gameplay is sort of the proto-Ratchet & Clank, but I wouldn't really say he's fun to play (nor is really any of the others).

Though I'm also saying these things from mostly the perspective of the original games themselves, and not necessarily this remake as I'm only about halfway through the second game at this point. So far, I'd say these remakes are pretty solid in their faithfulness, while doing their own interpretation in different ways.

Still I'd say to this day: Spyro the Dragon >>> Spyro 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon. Though as mentioned, they are all still good in their own ways.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are still worth playing and I think they are still enjoyable, especially the second game (although I think the last third of the game is quite a bit weaker). The sequels just have the same problem most mascot platforming games had around that time period: forced gameplay diversification/minigames and new, worse "friends". The third game is especially bad with that, as you play as characters other than Spyro for probably a quarter of the overall game, and I personally don't think any of the alternative gameplay is that fun. Agent 9 in the third game is at least kind of interesting from a "historical" perspective in that his gameplay is sort of the proto-Ratchet & Clank, but I wouldn't really say he's fun to play (nor is really any of the others).

Though I'm also saying these things from mostly the perspective of the original games themselves, and not necessarily this remake as I'm only about halfway through the second game at this point. So far, I'd say these remakes are pretty solid in their faithfulness, while doing their own interpretation in different ways.

Still I'd say to this day: Spyro the Dragon >>> Spyro 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon. Though as mentioned, they are all still good in their own ways.
They definitely improved the controls for the extra characters in YotD. Some of their mini games still suck though, like boxing.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I found that if you stand right on the very edge, towards the middle of the circle facing the ledge, that you can just barely make it after gliding at the top of your jump.

Thanks.

In general, I have found that it's really difficult also to determine/time with the top of my jump to. I can't get consistent with it. Guess I should practice.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Took a break after getting the spyro 1 platinum. Just started spyro 2. God the first few worlds look beautiful. Enjoying it more then I remembered too. Only an hour in but looking forward to the adventure ahead.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.

In general, I have found that it's really difficult also to determine/time with the top of my jump to. I can't get consistent with it. Guess I should practice.
I kind of wish they had incorporated Spyro 2's hover ability into Spyro 1, but that also would undermine the difficulty of basically any jump in Spyro 1, lol. They did compensate with a little grab-hop that Spyro occasionally does if you just barely hit the ledge. However, most of the time, he just comes to a dead stop and drops.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish they had incorporated Spyro 2's hover ability into Spyro 1, but that also would undermine the difficulty of basically any jump in Spyro 1, lol. They did compensate with a little grab-hop that Spyro occasionally does if you just barely hit the ledge. However, most of the time, he just comes to a dead stop and drops.

Ya, that grab hop to me just looks like an animation.. I've never seen it have any affect. It just looks like he's about to hop over and then he doesn't lol

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I received a message from Xbox Live with a code to get my own Spyro for my Avatar, he is so cute :D

y4mwV6z0fW5kEXacAMF4_DcBO17Z0XRhe1PZ8wkZ6vEJH61oMiSaqeZRta5uwlPpBx11nM6DOC5PXAr42djcw-8nGXlpg59UnWMKYIyMEmHit-T_NWrYD1jyNdKpf100L4S9qBYZuzeT7CydPkQbKgc_dqwUCaSc7ZOpH1UiaEiBBUvwJ9zj2xIcjGyQA_w3xrvMlLpa0GWFbRi3Q-4neeHCA

Last weekend I finished the first game at 120%, I really enjoyed it, I did not remember everything from my last run when it first came out, I barely remember Spyro 2 that I started right away, never played the third one.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed the first 2 Spyros and started 3.

Wasn't expecting shitty friends syndrome. Sheila isn't terrible at least.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I received a message from Xbox Live with a code to get my own Spyro for my Avatar, he is so cute :D

y4mwV6z0fW5kEXacAMF4_DcBO17Z0XRhe1PZ8wkZ6vEJH61oMiSaqeZRta5uwlPpBx11nM6DOC5PXAr42djcw-8nGXlpg59UnWMKYIyMEmHit-T_NWrYD1jyNdKpf100L4S9qBYZuzeT7CydPkQbKgc_dqwUCaSc7ZOpH1UiaEiBBUvwJ9zj2xIcjGyQA_w3xrvMlLpa0GWFbRi3Q-4neeHCA

Last weekend I finished the first game at 120%, I really enjoyed it, I did not remember everything from my last run when it first came out, I barely remember Spyro 2 that I started right away, never played the third one.
I need this.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Can gems glitch in spyro 3?

It says I have 498/500 in enchanted towers and sparks is doing the we found them all dance.

Edit: never mind. An enemy wasn't dropping a gem they should and quitting the level and restarting twice fixed the problem.

Last edited: