• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Here is someone that actually knows how to play Spyro trying it out:

He said that the flight level controls feel exactly the same as the originals.

In terms of negatives? He said that the supercharge feels a bit wonky and that they didn't use the same egg thief sound that the originals had.

The machine guns a couple of enemies have has been replaced with paintball guns.

He said that Toys for Bob told him that they are watching peoples reactions online and adjusting things based on that feedback *waves* at Paul Yan and Peter Kavic - keep doing us proud

Interesting that toys for bob matched the originals on a frame by frame basis. If a chest is in a certain place in the originals, it is in exactly the same place in the new version.

Probably explains how they can do this...

(watch Sparx as well)

My inner child is screaming right now, unfortunately i dont have a console right now so i can only hope and wait for a PC version.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Nice that they have acknowledged the speed running community. I posted a great video a few days ago of the original devs watching a speed runner break their game, they found it hilarious

Tim Gettys discusses the game (and Crash) here

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
IGN interview/footage

Glimmer hype! Gateway to Glimmer was my favourite, though Year of the Dragon was a close second

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I guess additional levels/characters/etc. reveal will be done through their social account. I'm counting on it!

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I was just going to post this.

Wtf.

I've been pretty defensive of the changes they've made so far but they turned a pink and yellow level brown and green. All the sandstone tile is now granite cobblestone.

Its just not something that bothers me. As long as the game feels the same and looks good I really dont mind if they use a slightly different type of paving stone

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Its just not something that bothers me. As long as the game feels the same and looks good I really dont mind if they use a slightly different type of paving stone
I would argue that it doesn't feel the same. What we had before was a pristine manicured castle set in a hazy surreal colorscape. What we have now is much dirtier and realistic, missing that ethereal quality.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that it doesn't feel the same. What we had before was a pristine manicured castle set in a hazy surreal colorscape. What we have now is much dirtier and realistic, missing that ethereal quality.

We all seem to see different things.

I see a castle environment at the sun is setting giving a pink hue. Since the PS1 graphics are basic it looks like a pink wall. In the remake you can see its a sunset as the walls look more realistic but still have the pink hue to them.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
My 4 years son cannot wait for it after i showed him the trailer and gameplay.
He loved Crash, adored Ratchet, and addicted to Classic Sonic (1-2-3-K-M)

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
If you dont say anything they wont bother to change it.

Remember how the Crash Trilogy colors and artstyle looked off in the original reveal? That was all changed to be closer to the PS1 game by launch.

The skyboxes were a very important part of Spyro, especially when viewing levels through the portals. They should be preserving that.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
If you dont say anything they wont bother to change it.

Remember how the Crash Trilogy colors and artstyle looked off in the original reveal? That was all changed to be closer to the PS1 game by launch.

The skyboxes were a very important part of Spyro, especially when viewing levels through the portals. They should be preserving that.

Problem is, the game is out in two months. It feels a little too late, especially with how many levels are in these games, and how many we've yet to see.

And the skybox isn't what's bothering me about this latest vid. They've totally overhauled the level's coloration in a way that doesn't capture the original atmosphere at all.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the new look. That yellow/purple hazy looking level is wretched. Glad they didn't just do a quick HD upres.

Oct 25, 2017
New Dragon posted, Bubba.

Once again TfB knocking it out of the park in the character animation dept. When before I couldn't name you a single dragon from the first game, they have managed to instill a metric ton more personality into each Reignited interpretation to create legitimate memorable encounters. I can't wait to see what they do with Spyro 2 and 3.

Concept Art:

Dgy5BBGVAAAosEQ.jpg

A comparison to boot:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's just crazy how far 3D has come, and I remember being really impressed with how the polygons/textures stretched so smoothly on the various models in the original game. Looking forward to this, even though I only ever played and finished Spyro 1.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
N-Sane was far more focused on being faithful to the originals and didn't really take many creative liberties. I thought that was a good approach but it's also really cool how the Spyro remake is reimagining a lot of the character designs

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How long are these games to finish completely?
I have them on PS1, but I never actually played them properly (I played through quite a bit of Spyro 1, but didn't touch the others). I'd like to finish them before the Remastered trilogy.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long are these games to finish completely?
I have them on PS1, but I never actually played them properly (I played through quite a bit of Spyro 1, but didn't touch the others). I'd like to finish them before the Remastered trilogy.
For a basic run you could probably get through 4-5 hours each. It would probably be closer to 7-8 if you went for 100% without using any guides.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Right, thanks.

I did have a Spyro 2 guide in a PS Magazine I had years ago, so I'm sort of familiar with that one at least.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
N-Sane was far more focused on being faithful to the originals and didn't really take many creative liberties. I thought that was a good approach but it's also really cool how the Spyro remake is reimagining a lot of the character designs

Frankly, and this is *not* a slight against the Spyro games... I think there's a far greater need for redesigns and reinterpretations in Spyro. Especially for characters. There was a lot left to imagination in those, thanks to their expert use of the low poly style, whereas in Crash the designs translate more 1:1 to high fidelity art.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

I think the brand new dragon designs are fantastic (still some iffiness about the Gnorcs). My only real beef the big liberties they've taken with the looks of some levels, which to me were the best parts of the originals, along with the music. Sometimes it works, other times it loses all the distinction that set Spyro's worlds apart from more general fantasy.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I'm hoping that you can still use the fan chests to attack enemies, that one of my favorite things to do.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I think you should be able to finish each in 4~5 hours

depends. If you just want to get from the start to end of every level you can burn through it quickly.

If you want to skateboard, play ice hockey, do the optional sidequests, find as many eggs/dragons etc as possible then it will take a lot longer