• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Announce it already.

Also, September is looking packed:

September 4th - Dragon Quest XI
September 7th - Spider-Man
September 14th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
September 21th - Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Yeah im starting to get really annoyed that almost every game j wanted this year is launching in september meanwhile the first half of the year is dry as fuck for me.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Any of the Skylanders games are better than any of the original Spyro ps1 games. But I agree that the redesign was terrible even if I don't think the original is exactly sacred.
aw8r598.gif

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I like Treasure Trilogy.

But yay this is exciting, never played these games so looking forward to picking this up.

After Spider-Man.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
That's insanely worrying, honestly. VV has also made so noteworthy (to an extent) games prior to Skylanders titles. Nothing outstanding, but you can tell their a fairly competent team that just rarely gets the time and resources they need thanks to Activision being a terrible publisher. TfB doesn't have any games of note outside of the Skylanders games and I'd never call those "good". They're extremely half-baked, cookie-cutter titles with few ideas and even worse implementation in most cases.
Toys for Bob made Star Control 2. Also, the Skylanders games have some very creative and original game design on a mechanical level - much more than the Spro trilogy. Not that it's strictly relevant to a remake.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's insanely worrying, honestly. VV has also made so noteworthy (to an extent) games prior to Skylanders titles. Nothing outstanding, but you can tell their a fairly competent team that just rarely gets the time and resources they need thanks to Activision being a terrible publisher. TfB doesn't have any games of note outside of the Skylanders games and I'd never call those "good". They're extremely half-baked, cookie-cutter titles with few ideas and even worse implementation in most cases.

I am concerned being involved, But I think it will be fine as they really just need to remake assets and follow the original games as a template.
The concern I have really is how faithfully they will recreate the assets compared to the original.
Again, TfB made the skylanders spyro design which was and still is hideous and just shown me they don't understand spyro.
So if they were making a new game, I'd be mega worried, with a remake, a lot less so, but as I say, depends on their art style really.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
You're right, this is Activision, the pinniacle of publisher ethics

Please. Nintendo is just as guilty, if not worse due to their anticonsumer practices with price gauging and overpriced ports and various other antics that I'm not going to get into right now. Not worth my time and not really interested in dealing with the way this fanbase is on here.

Point was, in terms of remasters/remakes, they overcharge and charge full price for ports of shit that shouldn't be, It was just a basic example. Of course Activision is just as bad, but I'm not here to derail anything so I'm going to stop talking about this further.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to be in the minority, but I'm in FULL confidence of Toys For Bob. The Skylanders series to me is very well done. So they weren't what Spyro fans wanted, that doesn't take away how good their production values and fun factor were. They were very well animated too so they have the stuff to do Spyro justice if they wanted/are told to.
You're not totally alone.

I think Toys for Bob can do a fine job here. Skylanders had some great gameplay in there, but sometimes the toys to life stuff just got in the way.

The games ran very well on current gen systems too which should translate again to decent performance for this trilogy.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably placeholder art but I already like that Spyro's design is respected well.

Hoping Toys for Bob won't disappoint after Vicarious made an excellent remake.

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everything coming out in September ? If Crash's sales are anything to go by this should sell pretty well but Crash also came out at a fairly quiet time.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Imo, it doesn't look like they've made many good games. Some movie tie-ins and whatnot

DaAIx99UQAAtHAb.jpg
"Doesn't look like they've made good games"
*Show off a list with Star Control*
Star Control remains highly ranked on many other "best of" lists. In 1996, Computer Gaming World ranked it as the 29th best PC game of all time, calling it "a stunning mix of adventure, action, and humor."[18] IGN named Star Control II the 17th best game of all time in 2005.[19] In 2013, Kotaku crowd sourced a list of "Best PC Games of All Time", with Star Control 2 emerging as the most popular choice among their audience.[2] GameSpot also named it as one of the greatest games of all time.[20] In addition, it was also given eighth place in GameSpot's list of the best gameworlds by reader's choice,[21] as well as the third place in the best endings.[22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control_II#Reception

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
"Doesn't look like they've made good games"
*Show off a list with Star Control*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control_II#Reception
I said "many" good games. That means I acknowledge that they have made good games, as people have raved about that Star Control II game in this thread. Don't change what I said to fit your narrative.

That game is also almost 20 years old now. Surely BfT has evolved since then, especially since their output from 2000 onwards has been a bit uninspired.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
BTW I don't know if anyone pointed this out but it seems that the background is from Magic Crafters.

The third hub from Spyro 1.

Feb 22, 2018
Looks like no one wants to release near or after Red Dead.

This is the real reason. RDR2 will be a monster. Rockstar in general, is a monster.

It's reading stuff like this that just makes me feel so detached from society, and even the hobby that I spend so much time on. I could give a shit about Red Dead, or anything that Rockstar produces, but I'm in such a minority, that it brings me down. People see some epic game, but all I see is another depressing gritty game, with toxic masculine characters that bore the hell out of me. The fact that this is the kind of game that so many people in gaming, and even more casual gamers would gravitate towards in droves makes me feel so alone, because I don't see the appeal, and in fact I despise it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I like it. Looks good. September, though? What's Sony (I assume it's a timed exclusive as well?) thinking releasing it the same month as Dragon Quest and Spider-Man? Sheesh.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it. Looks good. September, though? What's Sony (I assume it's a timed exclusive as well?) thinking releasing it the same month as Dragon Quest and Spider-Man? Sheesh.
Activision is the publisher, not Sony. And we don't even know whether it's multi-platform yet.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I said "many" good games. That means I acknowledge that they have made good games, as people have raved about that Star Control II game in this thread. Don't change what I said to fit your narrative.

That game is also almost 20 years old now. Surely BfT has evolved since then, especially since their output from 2000 onwards has been a bit uninspired.
The Skylanders games were a lot more creative than the Spyro games on a mechanical level. Though I grant it depends on what figures you get - some are much more interesting than others.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Going to pick it up, assuming the controls are not ever so slightly off like in the Crash Remaster Trilogy.

Get yourself in the mood!

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's reading stuff like this that just makes me feel so detached from society, and even the hobby that I spend so much time on. I could give a shit about Red Dead, or anything that Rockstar produces, but I'm in such a minority, that it brings me down. People see some epic game, but all I see is another depressing gritty game, with toxic masculine characters that bore the hell out of me. The fact that this is the kind of game that so many people in gaming, and even more casual gamers would gravitate towards in droves makes me feel so alone, because I don't see the appeal, and in fact I despise it.
That's a helluva'n opinion

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Even then I see nothing in their output to indicate that they couldn't handle a graphic overhaul and tweaking of old games that have already been made.

Their more recent output is comprised of competently made platformer games, even if none of them are particularly great.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not interested in RDR 2 but why does other people enjoying that game bother you? Seem silly that it makes you sad that you don't want games you don't like to be popular.

CAh5dA4.gif

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown and kingdom hearts 3 could also land in September too. :(
KHIII's time to be a September release has passed, especially since the new Tomb Raider and DQXI are already coming then from SQEX. At this point we are talking about October-December, with every day this is not announced that passes before E3 making it likelier it's late November or early December. September is out of play. October could happen if they'd announce the date at this month's fan event but usually for these bigger games SQEX has about 5-6 months between release date announcement and the actual release (barring any delays after the announcement), so if it's announced at E3, then it's definitely likelier to be November/December.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Its almost like that was over 2 decades ago on MSDOS and that in the time since they've shown no improvement or even talent in modern game design.
The Skylanders games are very well-regarded. They're absolutely at the top of their particular genre. They are more than capable of doing a reskin of a fun but pretty by-the-numbers series of collectathon platformers.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people bitching about toys for Bob when it's just a remaster

Believe it or not you can also fuck up a remaster. People give Vicarious Visions a lot of credit for the Crash trilogy but it's only partially deserved because there is a lot of stuff in the trilogy that is annoying and they still haven't patched it. That's why I am a little bit skeptical about the Spyro remake eventhough it's a different dev this time.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
KHIII's time to be a September release has passed, especially since the new Tomb Raider and DQXI are already coming then from SQEX. At this point we are talking about October-December, with every day this is not announced that passes before E3 making it likelier it's late November or early December. September is out of play. October could happen if they'd announce the date at this month's fan event but usually for these bigger games SQEX has about 5-6 months between release date announcement and the actual release (barring any delays after the announcement), so if it's announced at E3, then it's definitely likelier to be November/December.
Last week in November is my guess just like FFXV but as said definitely not September and doubt October because of RDR2.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Its almost like that was over 2 decades ago on MSDOS and that in the time since they've shown no improvement or even talent in modern game design.

Nearly 3 decade old one hit wonders dont instill confidence
Have they shown enough competence to ship a sound HD remakes of games that have already been made?

If Crash is is any indication it will be nothing but a cosmetic overhaul with minor shit tweaked here and there.

I haven't touched a single Skylander game, but unless they have been technical dumpster fire, I see no reason to believe they can't handle this task. It'd be one thing if they were making a new game or a FFVII style remake, but their game design capabilities hardly even matter here.

The Skylanders games are very well-regarded. They're absolutely at the top of their particular genre. They are more than capable of doing a reskin of a fun but pretty by-the-numbers series of collectathon platformers.
Looking at the metacritic scores of Skylanders games seems to point at decently made games, that are passable at worst.