• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Oh it will be multiplatform lol
We had the same discussions last year.
The only question is how long the timeframe is this time. Hopefully not a year but i doubt thats the case
tenor.gif

It's a year

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda interested in this, but then I was interested in Crash but kinda got turned off given how frustrating it looked. I know nothing about these games. Are they like super hard like Crash or what?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it will be multiplatform lol
We had the same discussions last year.
The only question is how long the timeframe is this time. Hopefully not a year but i doubt thats the case
At this point we don't know anything - it's likely an exclusive but not guaranteed. If only PS4 is mentioned during the reveal, then it's absolutely a [timed] exclusive. All I'm saying here is that it's unlikely Activision has coordinated closely with Sony or they would not have selected this release date.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the boxart looks fine. Spyro is basically in the pose from the PS1 original. It's a nice clean cover.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Even then I see nothing in their output to indicate that they couldn't handle a graphic overhaul and tweaking of old games that have already been made.

Their more recent output is comprised of competently made platformer games, even if none of them are particularly great.

I've personally not played Skylanders due to a lack of interest in the series (I enjoyed Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions) so I'm really just basing this off posts about Bobs for Toys lack of quality from posts I've seen over time on NeoGAF and even here on ResetERA. For example, this does not give me hope:
I guess most of you haven't played the Skylanders games. But they were developed by Vicarious Visions and Toys for Bob, alternatingly. Toys for Bob created the series with the first game, and Giants, and then alternated with Vicarious making Swap Force and Super Chargers, and Toys for Bob making Trap Team and Imaginators. .

In general, I got the impression that Vicarious were a much more talented team. The Skylanders games that they produced were considerably better designed, and far less heavy handed with how they communicated to the player. For instance, it feels like Trap Team stops you every 30 seconds to pan the camera or something, while Swap Force avoids taking control from the player, and is a better game as a result. Not to mention that Vicarious tended to produce Skylanders games that looked a lot better than the ones produced by Toys for Bob. The step up from Giants to Swap Force is incredible, and that was driven by Vicarious Visions. While Toys for Bob's later entries in the series do come close (like Imaginators) you still get the impression that their not as technically capable, and their games don't look quite as nice as those produced by Vicarious.

As a result, I'd be interested to see how this remake turns out. I never got the impression that Toys for Bob had a firm understanding of what made games, and particularly platformers fun (Skylanders itself, played like 3rd rate Diablo until Vicarious Visions added a jump button in Swap Force). I wonder if they will put emphasis on the correct mechanics in the remaster, I wonder if the game will feel quite right, and i wonder if their studio has the technical ability to produce a remake at the same quality as Vicarious Visions' Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.

TL:DR, as someone that has played all of the Skylanders games, the Toys for Bob logo is not a mark that I associate with quality, and it makes me nervous about this remake.

With BfT's technical capabilities being lower than VV, VV being the pioneers in advancing the series with additional controls such as a jump button and having the player be in control instead of cutting away every 30 seconds, it doesn't give me hope that BfT's could make a good remaster. The image quality is the biggest offender here, for me, as Spyro is a game that should look beautiful but it doesn't give me good confidence if there's the possibility that it will look worse than a game that released last June.

Believe it or not you can also fuck up a remaster.
Right!? Kingdom Hearts' remasters had a bunch of problems due to the transition to 60fps, and it took them months to work out a bug when saving the game.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
At this point we don't know anything - it's likely an exclusive but not guaranteed. If only PS4 is mentioned during the reveal, then it's absolutely a [timed] exclusive. All I'm saying here is that it's unlikely Activision has coordinated closely with Sony or they would not have selected this release date.
Dude we just saw what happened with Crash and there's no exclusive tag on box art as well.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda nice with some of these remasters...my 5 year old son will love this game.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Announce it already.

Also, September is looking packed:

September 4th - Dragon Quest XI
September 7th - Spider-Man
September 14th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
September 21th - Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Looks like a nice little lineup. If anyone can hold out until Black Friday, just wait for the discounts.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When they only announce a PS4 version, i guarantee you that neither Sony or Activision will clear that situation up until they announce this for other platforms. We will maybe get some tweets, hints and leaks until the multiplatform announcement. Until then Sony will spread around BS that its PS4 exclusive, fanboys will deny that its coming to other platforms with statements like "its weird playing Spyro on Switch or Xbox" etc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with TfB so I don't know how likely it would be for them to muck up a remaster of these three games.

Still excited for this collection nonetheless and I hope it turns out as well as Crash

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
With BfT's technical capabilities being lower than VV, VV being the pioneers in advancing the series with additional controls such as a jump button and having the player be in control instead of cutting away every 30 seconds, it doesn't give me hope that BfT's could make a good remaster. The image quality is the biggest offender here, for me, as Spyro is a game that should look beautiful but it doesn't give me good confidence if there's the possibility that it will look worse than a game that released last June
Your best bet would be to look up their latest Skylanders game and see how it holds up technically.

The other concerns raised by that post are irrelevant, however.. I t doesn't matter if if their Skylander games tend to take away control more often or less, as they won't have such liberties in this case.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Its almost like that was over 2 decades ago on MSDOS and that in the time since they've shown no improvement or even talent in modern game design.

Nearly 3 decade old one hit wonders dont instill confidence
Skylanders aren't total dumbster fires, though. They are pretty adequate child oriented games. Like all the Lego games, they are simple but perfectly functional games that can be enjoyable experiences for people who don't expect them to be highly complex & deep big boy games. Biggest thing "wrong" about them is the whole toys to life thing that kind of limits the games unless you fork out more cash but that's more of a business model chosen by publisher problem, not develepors are total ass and can't design and develop a game if their lives depended on it problem.

I'm sure they are perfectly capable upgrading graphics and tweaking a thing here and there.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
The box art is so ugly, I hope that they kept Spyro's original character design (Insomniac's). Excited to see some gameplay footage.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
No shit, but tell Activision that. The box art says the games have been "remastered" even though everyone knows this and Crash were remade.

Doesn't mean there won't be any issues, and there is a history of remasters with issues.
Not got disagreeing with statement that there could be issues but people calling it a Remastered is killing me.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I think the box art looks real nice. And his facial expression is pretty accurate to how he's always been. Spyro got that 90s 'tude. :)

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Announce it already.

Also, September is looking packed:

September 4th - Dragon Quest XI
September 7th - Spider-Man
September 14th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
September 21th - Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Now throw in the goat racing game Forza Horizon and September is complete,

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
All these comments "Oh no Skylanders developers"...
What do you think Vicarious Visions made before Crash Trilogy?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda interested in this, but then I was interested in Crash but kinda got turned off given how frustrating it looked. I know nothing about these games. Are they like super hard like Crash or what?

I played one of them as a kid and it wasn't hard to beat the game. If I had to compare it to a game I would say it's closer to a 3D Mario game where you have a level filled with mini games, various objectives and things to collect.

Crash was an A to B linear obstacle course.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So, is this going to be the huge hit Crash was? I liked the games as a kid, a lot more than Crash in fact, and a cute purple dragon is way more commercial than a nightmare fueled bandicoot. But is the nostalgia there for Spyro? Or is it even bigger because of Skylanders?

SE need to push Tomb Raider.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Skylanders developers.... Oh boy.
And the problem is? The Skylanders games are decent enough games and if you take issue with their art style, these remasters will obviously skew closer to the original's style than Skylanders, so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus they aren't working on a version for every platform imaginable (at first), so they can probably focus better on technical aspects as well.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is this suffering a bit of a resetera fear mongering? Looking at the dev's last game, it didn't review too badly for a kids game (I know VV did the crash level). I don't know if it's really worth panicking over. Would hope to get some more opinions of the games in here rather than rely too much on one. If they are competent devs that make games that are good for kids but are supposedly not the best at level design, it could easily be fine.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
They will. The media event is a great way to push out a trailer, gameplay videos, and articles from journalists playing it first hand. Soon after that the demo will hit E3, SDCC, and Gamescom before the game launches in September.

GameInformer might also do a cover story on the game with a month of exclusive coverage, or IGN can do one of their exclusive things on them (though I forget if it that's for first round of information about a game as opposed to what GameInformer does where they put out information about a game with information already out there).

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
46128039_001_b

It's a bit weird and inconsistent that this shirt has the classic logo on the tag but this box art has the logo Activision has used to represent the Legend of Spyro series.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
So, is this going to be the huge hit Crash was? I liked the games as a kid, a lot more than Crash in fact, and a cute purple dragon is way more commercial than a nightmare fueled bandicoot. But is the nostalgia there for Spyro? Or is it even bigger because of Skylanders?

I can see it do Crash Remake number but bigger than Skylanders at its peak. Hell no. The franchise was once worth 1 Billion dollars.