• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
wow paying money to have an in-game coffee machine on the ship? Are people seriously willing to do that?

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Pushing a release a quarter for QA isn't uncommon in the industry, but S42 is a real mess at this point.

I'm buying it when it comes out, as long as the reviews are not dire, but I do feel bad for the devs stuck in their death march up in Manchester.

When you look at their roadmap, it reads like they are mostly still in level construction, and it's pretty stunning that they've not got a single chunk of the game to near-final yet.

I can only assume their tooling is abysmal.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I like the idea of star citizen but it has been quite ridiculous and is getting even more ridiculous with all of the delays. I bet they delay it even further to add RT or something.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throwback to the previous threads where fans were claiming the game is fine and it's on course to hit beta soon.
In terms of content, Roberts said that all of the game's chapters and gameplay are at the "grey-box" level, which means that development is nearly complete, but the last set of assets aren't included yet, and the developers want to give it a final polish.
  • October 2016
That will be 4 years ago once the beta presumably launches (it will be delayed again though, so even longer). Beta.

We're going from long tough development territory to "are they just delivering the bare minimum thats believable to string people along perpetually and get shit tons of money"

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

Space coffee is a luxury
source.gif

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I backed mainly for S42, and I'll play it when it comes out, but I'm not checking out every release any more. There are plenty of other games to play, and my interest petered out years ago.

Oct 26, 2017
That roadmap is mind boggling
robertsspaceindustries.com

Star Citizen Roadmap - RSI

The Roberts Space Industries Star Citizen and Squadron 42 roadmaps.

In Q2 2020, just before beta they're planning to add things like
Basic functionalities to allow NPCs to use grenades and incorporate them into the flow of their combat behavior
Implement behaviors for melee-ranged fight, using fists, weapons or knives
AI Behaviors for friendly and enemy NPCs to work together and/or with you

Yet most of the stages are meant to be entering gameplay balancing like right now!

Dec 23, 2018
Just 3 months? Their internal tracker already has a bunch of of the games chapters down at least a quarter and they even haven't hit the heaviest portion of development, full production. You know the place where you find out shit has gone horribly wrong and you need to allocate more time to fix it in polishing.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely don't want devs to crunch, I also don't want them to scam people, however.
Based on posts I've seen from you on this topic, I take you at your word. I have zero confidence in that "90%+ of Resetera posters favor developers over crunch" that we saw in that poll though. In any case, do you really think the game is a scam. It's microtransactioned to about 50% of a 2k Sports game, but the roadmap and updates they provide point strongly to an actual game being built.

To my earlier point, there are several of these threads every week complaining about game delays. We have dozens of others complaining about the level of content in a game. If a game isn't ready, and a game delay is cause for a heart attack, then how do you avoid crunch? Magic? A DBZ hyperbolic time chamber?

Can you imagine if No Man's Sky had delayed until August 2019 so that they could deliver the game they did in the latest update? We'd see the exact same posts that are in this thread. The conclusion is that most Resetera posters want a game that takes 5 years to be released in 1-2. Afterwards, they want a biweekly update cycle. Anything short of that is cause for endless hand-waving that exposes how ppl here really feel.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Just 3 months? Their internal tracker already has a bunch of of the games chapters down at least a quarter and they even haven't hit the heaviest portion of development, full production. You know the place where you find out shit has gone horribly wrong and you need to allocate more time to fix it in polishing.

It's probably looks nicer to continually give it small delays rather than one large one. Plus it keeps people on the hook which they want so they continue giving them money.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this is how long a games takes to make when the developers get to go home at night?

More like this is how long a game takes to make when they've had ~70 positions to fill for months and nobody with any experience willing to take them so most of the team is basically kids right out of school who are almost certainly not equipped to make something even half as ambitious as what CIG is claiming to be making.

I mean how long has that "crouch too much and your heart explodes" bug been in there? And people think they're going to get living AI bartenders and fully crewed cap ships in this thing? Come on.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on posts I've seen from you on this topic, I take you at your word. I have zero confidence in that "90%+ of Resetera posters favor developers over crunch" that we saw in that poll though. In any case, do you really think the game is a scam. It's microtransactioned to about 50% of a 2k Sports game, but the roadmap and updates they provide point strongly to an actual game being built.

To my earlier point, there are several of these threads every week complaining about game delays. We have dozens of others complaining about the level of content in a game. If a game isn't ready, and a game delay is cause for a heart attack, then how do you avoid crunch? Magic? A DBZ hyperbolic time chamber?

Can you imagine if No Man's Sky had delayed until August 2019 so that they could deliver the game they did in the latest update? We'd see the exact same posts that are in this thread. The conclusion is that most Resetera posters want a game that takes 5 years to be released in 1-2. Afterwards, they want a biweekly update cycle. Anything short of that is cause for endless hand-waving that exposes how ppl here really feel.
Bruh it's been 8 years

Dec 23, 2018

When people say that its a scam they dont mean that the director is running with all the money away from the project. Its that they are selling a product that they know that they cant make.

Just because the employees are working hard toward a goal doesn't mean that the managers and executive staff aren't scamming the shit out of people by selling them products that they know will not be feasibly implemented into the game without a massive amount of time of development and the idea that they've got infinite resources to maintain development forever.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
the road map is not a guarantee so all this does is buy them short term good will among backers because they have been "transparent"

fast forward several months from now and i bet they will delay it again. kicking the can down the road.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
When people say that its a scam they dont mean that the director is running with all the money away from the project. Its that they are selling a product that they know that they cant make.

Just because the employees are working hard toward a goal doesn't mean that the managers and executive staff aren't scamming the shit out of people by selling them products that they know will not be feasibly implemented into the game without a massive amount of time of development and the idea that they've got infinite resources to maintain development forever.

Well said

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get, don't they just release everything they have done every month or so? Isn't the game like just any other early acess game?

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Not talking about the actual space combat stuff, but by now some elements like motion captured cutscenes must have been surpassed by other games.

Dec 23, 2018
I don't get, don't they just release everything they have done every month or so? Isn't the game like just any other early acess game?

The excuse not to do that for the single player part of the game was because they didn't want Chris Roberts grand story be spoiled by a half baked game, instead falling back to the whole "It'll release when its done" line. Of course now they want to release a "beta" (Have they even mentioned what a beta even means in this context?) of the game in late 2020. Your guess is a good as mine as to why they are doing this instead of toeing the old line, I'm guessing its because of funding.

Not talking about the actual space combat stuff, but by now some elements like motion captured cutscenes must have been surpassed by other games.
No "must" about it. Senua's sacrifice has better mocap and facial animations than what theyve shown from SQ42 and that was released two fucking years ago by a much smaller team.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think the SC criticism is good because it should fuel them to work hard to accomplish their goals. But on the other side, they really are inventing something that's never been done. Criticising delays for something thats never been done comes across as ignorant and unreasonable to me. Are we critical of NASA for not putting a man on MARS? They have wanted to for years (far longer than SC existence), and are making progress. Basically, as long as the funding happens, eventually it will be accomplished. So we can be snarky about it on internet forums, or just be patient and be happy for those really into it right now regardless of current status and progress. A little criticism is probably good to keep them honest though. SC isn't really a major accomplishment for humanity like a man on Mars would be.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

People who say shit like "Star Citizen is a money laundering operation" should be ignored. However, saying SC is a scam is not inaccurate because Roberts promised the moon when he should know good and well the moon isn't achievable.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The excuse not to do that for the single player part of the game was because they didn't want Chris Roberts grand story be spoiled by a half baked game, instead falling back to the whole "It'll release when its done" line. Of course now they want to release a "beta" (Have they even mentioned what a beta even means in this context?) of the game in late 2020. Your guess is a good as mine as to why they are doing this instead of toeing the old line, I'm guessing its because of funding

But isn't the campaign supposed to be released in chapters? At least that's what I seem to remember, from when I followed it a while back. And does that mean the beta is a sample of chapter 1?

Oct 28, 2017
I think the SC criticism is good because it should fuel them to work hard to accomplish their goals. But on the other side, they really are inventing something that's never been done. Criticising delays for something thats never been done comes across as ignorant and unreasonable to me. Are we critical of NASA for not putting a man on MARS? They have wanted to for years (far longer than SC existence), and are making progress. Basically, as long as the funding happens, eventually it will be accomplished. So we can be snarky about it on internet forums, or just be patient and be happy for those really into it right now regardless of current status and progress. A little criticism is probably good to keep them honest though. SC isn't really a major accomplishment for humanity like a man on Mars would be.

Elite Dangerous.

EVE Online.

Dec 23, 2018

The whole "is never been done" and "development is hard" are excuses that the dwindling fanbase keep using. I can get into a space ship right now, lift off from the planet, initiate a warpdrive, jump into another system, fight off a bunch of space pirates, FTL to a station, sell off my cargo, get back into my ship, fly to another planet, land and gather some resources.

In not just one game, in at least 2. Elite Dangerous and No Man Sky. Both of which, took a whole lot more level headed way of developing their game than CIG

Nov 14, 2017
It was orginally targeted for 2020 Q2 (of course "originally" it has been announced for 2016 I think?) and now they once again delayed it by another 3 months. I have been a strong supporter of star citizen (i never backed sq42) but this year they did so much crappy stuff like wanting money for customizing your ship or paying real money to have a coffee machine in your ship.
Original release for SQ42 was supposed to be 2014. SQ42 was the original pitch for SC; the persistent universe that is now the focus was something they pivoted to after they realised it brought in more money.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I like to compare it to space X, their active test program began in late 2012 for reusable rocket started around the same time SC had it's kickstarter.
giphy.gif

And with their current Starhopper test it now feel like we are closer to getting on mars than we are from Star Citizen release.

All the criticism ever done was never enough to prevent incredibly optimistic estimates for everything they ever announced ( but it did finaly got us to see those proper roadmap ). For years Squadron 42 was supposed to be ready "the next year", years later it's hard to think it wasn't lies for the sake of PR.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What obligation do they have to finish this? And if funding stops rolling in, can they just call what they have 1.0 and ghost?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The whole "is never been done" and "development is hard" are excuses that the dwindling fanbase keep using. I can get into a space ship right now, lift off from the planet, initiate a warpdrive, jump into another system, fight off a bunch of space pirates, FTL to a station, sell off my cargo, get back into my ship, fly to another planet, land and gather some resources.

In not just one game, in at least 2. Elite Dangerous and No Man Sky. Both of which, took a whole lot more level headed way of developing their game than CIG
We both know SC is attempting something far more complex, detailed, and rich than what those 2 games do.

Dec 23, 2018
We both know SC is attempting something far more complex, detailed, and rich than what those 2 games do.
Not right now it isn't. "Attempting" is not good enough. Maybe in a future where both of these stop production and SC gets another 10 years of development on top of them.

As for visual quality, let me bring out my favorite FFXIV 1.0 GDC quote

yoshida_slide.jpg

Star citizen's development is 3 for 3 in the cardinal sins of failed MMO development according to the guys that successfully turned around one of the biggest failures in gaming history into one of the most successful MMOs in the market.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I contributed like a moron. Thinking more clearly, even the best studios wouldn't attempt to make a fully featured space sim single-player game AND an MMO with as many 'features' as they've laid out. It's just not feasible and it seems like they're burning through money so fast that they have no choice but to sell ships for thousands of dollars and have $200+ dinners with the 'fans'.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Star Citizen as currently constructed isn't so much a "game" or even "part of a game" as it is a really expensive series of tech demos.

Like they aren't even within a galaxy's breadth of even the hint of anything that can be called a cohesive "product" at this stage of development. The difference between what they have now and what they're roadmapping for is about the difference between a basic generic platformer prototype written in Game Maker in two hours and Ori and the Blind Forest.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If they get anything out as a stable, "full" release, I'd consider it a miracle.

Feature creep and ambition is swallowing this in real time.