• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018
It was orginally targeted for 2020 Q2 (of course "originally" it has been announced for 2016 I think?) and now they once again delayed it by another 3 months. I have been a strong supporter of star citizen (i never backed sq42) but this year they did so much crappy stuff like wanting money for customizing your ship or paying real money to have a coffee machine in your ship.

so much gameplay stuff from the roadmap last year has disappeared and the new roadmap is so light. the funny thing is they said at the beginning of the year:
"we're revamping the roadmap to only show items we're 100% confident we can accomplish"to "actually we need more time to give you the best experience possible really trust us this time" in less than a year.
Also adding the classic "when we got things we already have made working we'll have more gameplay than anything out there already"

i have been hearing this for years....

source:

You will of course notice that our target Beta date for Squadron 42 has moved back by 12 weeks in today's Roadmap update, but this is a necessary step as a result of changing the overall development cadence, which we expect will create positive results in the overall delivery and experience of Squadron 42.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Squadron 42 is the only part of this game that holds any interest for me, but speaking as a non-backer... my hopes for its actual release remain very low.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throwback to the previous threads where fans were claiming the game is fine and it's on course to hit beta soon.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
To no one's surprise

Expect the beta in late 2021 at the earliest and the « final » 1.0 release in early 2023 at best

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
The salaries of a dozen Hollywood A-listers don't get paid by themselves so they can be on the first third of your Kickstarted videogame SP campaign. Besides, you can't beat the immersion that provides paying with real money for your own coffee machine, the spaceship you'll install it in (plus insurance) and the plot of lunar land you'll set it on.

But to be serious, this is starting to sound like sitcom-level management.

Oct 28, 2017
I installed the live alpha 3.6.x yesterday as people were positive about the game being on track and etc.

The performance seems a bit better than the alpha I tried long ago (I don't even remember the version), so that's a plus I guess. But the flight system with a controller felt bad, I asked in-game chat about how to launch the ship and was replied with "Who plays with controller" or something, which turned out to be true as flying with the keyboard/mouse was indeed better.

After flying around for some time, I just outright uninstalled the RSI client from my system and shift deleted the RSI folder.

Don't feel very excited about the beta and I am not even sure that I will ever play Squadron 42 even if it ever comes out, feel bad for making the purchase/pledge!? (what ever) long time ago.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People who like the game will say the discussion around it is toxic, and it can be sometimes. But it's getting to a point of absurdity with how often they are moving stuff back so often and missing their own self-imposed deadlines. Game development is hard, but sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade. They are just failing to deliver in any sort of reasonable timeframe.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care, just make it great.

It's been too long since a good Wing Commander-like game.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am only in for SQ42, as long as the game is good when it's released i'll be satisfied.
I was among the first backers of the thing, so tiny tweeny, having invested... err.. cannot remember, the amount for my BMW-grade ship $50 ? :P

I wonder if like the original plans we will still get to run the verse locally with our custom rules though. That's how i was supposed to try out the huge capital ships. I bet that's been scrapped considering how complex the whole thing has become.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Roberts hasn`t finished a game in a looong time.

He was booted off Freelancer and external help had to be brought in to make the game shippable.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
People who like the game will say the discussion around it is toxic, and it can be sometimes. But it's getting to a point of absurdity with how often they are moving stuff back so often and missing their own self-imposed deadlines. Game development is hard, but sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade. They are just failing to deliver in any sort of reasonable timeframe.

When was the Kickstarter? 2012? If you had told people back then that they'd be delaying the beta of the campaign in 2020, I think most would have said that's too long a wait.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I installed the live alpha 3.6.x yesterday as people were positive about the game being on track and etc.

The performance seems a bit better than the alpha I tried long ago (I don't even remember the version), so that's a plus I guess. But the flight system with a controller felt bad, I asked in-game chat about how to launch the ship and was replied with "Who plays with controller" or something, which turned out to be true as flying with the keyboard/mouse was indeed better.

After flying around for some time, I just outright uninstalled the RSI client from my system and shift deleted the RSI folder.

Don't feel very excited about the beta and I am not even sure that I will ever play Squadron 42 even if it ever comes out, feel bad for making the purchase/pledge!? (what ever) long time ago.

That's bullshit. I hope the final Squadron 21 game has controller flight options.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Pretends to be shocked

I spent like a dollar to get this "game" and I even feel ripped off. A couple of my friends have spent far, far more than I did and are still supportive of the game.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So what are we thinking, 2025 until something not in Alpha/Beta actually gets released?

Maybe that's optimistic.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Why actually produce an actual game when people will just keep giving you money with nothing more than trailers and blind faith?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also, isn't Squadron 42 supposed to be like the FFVII Remake, split into multiple parts? And this is the beta of the first part.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care when it comes as long as it does come and is good (Squadron 42). Do not care about MMO stuff.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Surprise surprise.

e7QmSRY.jpg

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Funny I was actually discussing the game with a friend a few days ago ( backed the game at the same time, kind of stopped following things at the same time ), and told him I doubted we would see a SQ42 release in 2021.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
"actually we need more time to give you the best experience possible"

This is the most classic excuse used whenever a game is delayed. Such an empty promise.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

That's just defensive bullshit. It's a space sim. If I remember correctly, old wing commander games required joystick.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Scam Citizen. I hope this shit show gets put down before they grift much more cash out of people.