• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 8, 2018
Is this serious? I really can't tell anymore. The publishers are greedy but you want the devs to be even more greedy and sell more ship designs?

I have no clue either... It's kind of sad we are at the point were we actually don't know if the last ones defending this game are actually trolling or not since they basically say the same thing now...

Guys Boss is sarcastic

Thx for the insight I seriously can't tell anymore.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's amazing they haven't yet ran out of money.
Their funding is low and their burnrate high. There's a reason they had to find private funding.

I'm not expecting this to ever be finished and this should be a cautionary tale to everyone. There's a reason why no one in the industry wanted to make a game with Roberts

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
I have talked with a lot of people defending and trying to shine a bright light on SC and Chris Roberts. Never have I encountered a person that does that and at the same time confess that he believes that Chris Roberts actually lies and literally, by the definition of the word, scam people out of their money.

How the actual fuck can you defend and praise him and this project while also believing he is an actual scam artist and it's build on people getting fraud? How???

Take a long look in the mirror about what kind of a person you really are if you are serious with everything you said before you try and defend the with your own words scam artist Chris Roberts is.

I am more interested in the end product than in overplaying the occasional lapse in judgment as end of the world. Given the highs of the last recent years when demos shown have turned into alphas with exciting features if nothing else.

Assessing people and games using fair perception and more humane characterization I also find more beneficial than painting CIG or Chris Roberts as purely X.

'CR' might ever more prefer micromanagement where most goes through his acceptance and be furiously tempered to work under but he is also charming and willing to share his mind and utopias with a greater whole.

What is the price of a game? 32 euros in crowdfunding or perhaps even more. I feel like I've got quite a lot from the whole ordeal already. The game I am most waiting for is Squadron 42. The vertical slice demo was great and so were the cast interviews and behind the scenes views.

So I am not upset of a business which is fueled by milking whales. Whales of Star Citizen enjoy space ships as a hobby and surely they have got a fair deal in return in ships like the Reclaimer or 890 Jump which are monumental and already playable along the 80 other finished. For everyone who comes across one of those huge ships it is surely a spectacle.

The thing I miss is those informal shows and streams like Wingman's Hangar of the early years. They were replaced by the ever more aggressive ship sale marketing.

But I am not demonizing money either when the 233 million dollars brought in brought also in expansion to Europe with its masters of Cryengine whom CIG have increasingly employed from 2014-2015 onwards. Paying the monthly wages of those talented artisans is nice given how they are super effective. Lie, cheat or steal to have them continue their great work which slowly began in the years 2014-2015.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018
I am more interested in the end product than in overplaying the occasional lapse in judgment as end of the world. Given the highs of the last recent years when demos shown have turned into alphas with exciting features if nothing else.

Assessing people and games using fair perception and more humane characterization I also find more beneficial than painting CIG or Chris Roberts as purely X.

'CR' might ever more prefer micromanagement where most goes through his acceptance and be furiously tempered to work under but he is also charming and willing to share his mind and utopias with a greater whole.

What is the price of a game? 32 euros in crowdfunding or perhaps even more. I feel like I've got quite a lot from the whole ordeal already. The game I am most waiting for is Squadron 42. The vertical slice demo was great and so were the cast interviews and behind the scenes views.

So I am not upset of a business which is fueled by milking whales. Whales of Star Citizen enjoy space ships as a hobby and surely they have got a fair deal in return in ships like the Reclaimer or 890 Jump which are monumental and already playable along the 80 other finished. For everyone who comes across one of those huge ships it is surely a spectacle.

The thing I miss is those informal shows and streams like Wingman's Hangar of the early years. They were replaced by the ever more aggressive ship sale marketing.

But I am not demonizing money either when the 233 million dollars brought in brought also in expansion to Europe with its masters of Cryengine whom CIG have increasingly employed from 2014-2015 onwards. Paying the monthly wages of those talented artisans is nice given how they are super effective. Lie, cheat or steal to have them continue their great work which slowly began in the years 2014-2015.

So uh, using fair perception is saying basically that you have no problem with 'lying, cheating or stealing to have them continue their great work'?? How is that a fair in any way shape or form?

CR is ok because he's 'charming'? You're not demonising the money because there's been so much of it collected?

Also, it's been pointed out to you itt numerous times that the production did not start in 2014. There was even a video proving that. 2014 was the first date given for S42.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Man you sound just like Chris sharing his "utopias" (you understand what an Utopia is, right? A non attainable state).

Stockholme syndrome and all that

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I paid entry level a long time ago and it still kills me how pent up some people are. I haven't played the game and I am waiting for the game to be done and I really couldn't care less how long it takes. Who cares if the game takes longer to make?

Dec 8, 2018
User Warned: personal attacks

So you are fine with not only whales but regular people that might not have large amount of fund to spend on games that actually believe Chris Roberts fund your spiritual successor.

Thank god you might one day play the game who cares about all the people who feel lied to betrayed etc just so they can fund some developers you like. At least you got what you wanted fuck everyone else.

Fuck off and I was about to call you garbage but that would be an insult to garbage itself.

Oct 27, 2017
I paid entry level a long time ago and it still kills me how pent up some people are. I haven't played the game and I am waiting for the game to be done and I really couldn't care less how long it takes. Who cares if the game takes longer to make?

Is this a rhetorical question, or are you really out of ideas why some people might want the item now? Some ideas:
• Heavily invested
• Tired of waiting
• Don't want to play other games but SC
• Want it ASAP
• Playing the game, but the technical state is not enjoyable
• Want to invite friends, but don't feel like they will like the current state
• See themselves not having enough time for video games in the future
• See themselves in no position to play video games in the future
• Might actually die waiting for the game

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018

So you are fine with not only whales but regular people that might not have large amount of fund to spend on games that actually believe Chris Roberts fund your spiritual successor.

Thank god you might one day play the game who cares about all the people who feel lied to betrayed etc just so they can fund some developers you like. At least you got what you wanted fuck everyone else.

Refunds were handed out till 3.X in early 2018. So everyone had a trial period of up to five years to ponder upon with the lowest entry price being around 25 dollars.

I think the risk being was more in how the project was established on clay foot at the very beginning. On Cryengine in Northern America where most of the work force is far more adjusted to using Unreal engine professionally.

Yet that beginning turned out to be a stroke of luck when Crytek's financial troubles hit all the time low and Cloud Imperium Games allowed unpaid employees of Crytek's headquarters to team up and form a new studio in Frankfurt near their homes.

Without the money gathered and aggressive expansion that resulted from using those resources no one might have anything cooking in the year 2019 relating to this crowdfunded project.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a rhetorical question, or are you really out of ideas why some people might want the item now? Some ideas:
• Heavily invested
• Tired of waiting
• Don't want to play other games but SC
• Want it ASAP
• Playing the game, but the technical state is not enjoyable
• Want to invite friends, but don't feel like they will like the current state
• See themselves not having enough time for video games in the future
• See themselves in no position to play video games in the future
• Might actually die waiting for the game

Ultimately, people who back this game are serving as the publisher. You as a developer can't keep telling a EA or an Activision or a Rockstar that you keep needing more time. Eventually they are going to pull the plug or force you to ship. In this case people keep handing them money knowing that things are the way they are. It is as if the publisher keeps saying things are ok so keep working.

Jul 17, 2018
Ultimately, people who back this game are serving as the publisher. You as a developer can't keep telling a EA or an Activision or a Rockstar that you keep needing more time. Eventually they are going to pull the plug or force you to ship. In this case people keep handing them money knowing that things are the way they are. It is as if the publisher keeps saying things are ok so keep working.

No, a publisher shares profits from sales and has direct say in the game's production (schedules, milestones, etc.). The backers can't do either of those things.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
No, a publisher shares profits from sales and has direct say in the game's production (schedules, milestones, etc.). The backers can't do either of those things.

Well yes, but they are also the funders of the game which is what the audience is serving as. If they stop buying things then things are going to have to be locked down pretty quick. The tap isn't stopping which shows that there is an audience that wants this to continue.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Just take your time and get it right. Have an unlimited supply of amazing games to play till then.

Jul 17, 2018
Well yes, but they are also the funders of the game which is what the audience is serving as. If they stop buying things then things are going to have to be locked down pretty quick. The tap isn't stopping which shows that there is an audience that wants this to continue.

You might wanna rethink your definition of crowdfunding.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
You might wanna rethink your definition of crowdfunding.
Why? People give them money to make a game. The people are still giving them money. They are pretty active in talking with the community. They gave refunds to those who were not comfortable with the project and how it is going. Like what is so horrible about this?

sandweed

May 8, 2018
I'll be honest, I enjoy Star Citizen, not the buggy alpha, or the terrible flight model or the toxic community. But watching people shoveling piles of money down a bottomless pit and then expecting to get some intangible reward for it 10 years down the line is very funny to me. Much like I love reading about the things that happen in EVE online from afar I enjoy watching Star Citizen backers propping up this project and I hope they keep it up for as long as they can.

Remember kids, Star Citizen can not fail, but you can fail Star Citizen.

Jul 17, 2018
Why? People give them money to make a game. The people are still giving them money. They are pretty active in talking with the community. They gave refunds to those who were not comfortable with the project and how it is going. Like what is so horrible about this?

The constant missed deadlines? Selling in-game items for thousands of dollars before the game even hit alpha? The feature creep? The persisting technical problems (clipping through stuff, the servers), all the stuff in the Forbes and Kotaku articles?

Also, you're lying about the refunds, you know full well there were lots of problems with getting them. People had to drag CI through courts to get their money back.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I enjoy Star Citizen, not the buggy alpha, or the terrible flight model or the toxic community. But watching people shoveling piles of money down a bottomless pit and then expecting to get some intangible reward for it 10 years down the line is very funny to me. Much like I love reading about the things that happen in EVE online from afar I enjoy watching Star Citizen backers propping up this project and I hope they keep it up for as long as they can.

Remember kids, Star Citizen can not fail, but you can fail Star Citizen.

I enjoy watching The Curse of Oak Island for similar reasons

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Cant wait to see this exact same post in 2032
I hope that does happen, because then you'll have the opportunity to realize that videogame development delays are perhaps the least important issues facing most humans. Alternatively, you might spend the next decade waiting to drop a real good zinger on an internet message board, because a toy wasn't that fun to play with.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hope that does happen, because then you'll have the opportunity to realize that videogame development delays are perhaps the least important issues facing most humans. Alternatively, you might spend the next decade waiting to drop a real good zinger on an internet message board, because a toy wasn't that fun to play with.
kind of a weird take on a dedicated gaming forum, while also being incredibly reductive.

we're talking about a crowd-funded project that has been delayed so many times the Duke Nukem development crew is blushing. Retorting with something akin to, "but look at global warming" is like...okay?

Dec 8, 2018
Refunds were handed out till 3.X in early 2018. So everyone had a trial period of up to five years to ponder upon with the lowest entry price being around 25 dollars.

I think the risk being was more in how the project was established on clay foot at the very beginning. On Cryengine in Northern America where most of the work force is far more adjusted to using Unreal engine professionally.

Yet that beginning turned out to be a stroke of luck when Crytek's financial troubles hit all the time low and Cloud Imperium Games allowed unpaid employees of Crytek's headquarters to team up and form a new studio in Frankfurt near their homes.

Without the money gathered and aggressive expansion that resulted from using those resources no one might have anything cooking in the year 2019 relating to this crowdfunded project.

Yeah was really easy getting the refunds right only took a few court cases before that started to happen. And again fuck those stupid sheep that did not understand Chris Roberts lies to them right? Serves them right for believing the man they given money too to not live up to his promises. They had a few years to figure it out right?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

And I bet those developers if they are talented could have found work for other companies but now they are working on a game that in your own words are build by scamming people of their money and with years of well documented disastrous development and a end product that have a high chance of not even being realized completely or even close to what was promised. That will surely look good on your next work application. There is a reason they have a REALLY hard time finding experienced people for their job listings.

Once again you perfectly show what an awful person you are and I understand why you gravitate to always defending Chris Roberts because if he is what you says he and you are the same and can't give too shit about the people who you successfully scam as long as it pays the rent.

Oct 27, 2017

They aren't giving refunds for years now.
They sold part of the company to the private investor.
They continue to pressure the community into spending more money.

We live in capitalism, there is nothing horrible in extracting money from the people. People give them money because they love the idea of SC: the Space Sim MMO, which even with all the Alphas and progress, is still in the realm of fantasy. The battle to get the economy, stability, balance and polish has not even started yet. For some, even the attempt at this game is enough to donate.

SC's only competition is time. Can it showcase enough progress to drive the perpetual monetization for the goods that require faith. If they lose, I doubt there will be a publisher taking over the project that was incomplete after 8+ years and $250m.

The SC discussion never goes anywhere. It is always about BELIEVING that SC will deliver on the promises.
I have no horse in the race, if they deliver, I get the product. If they fail, it wasn't my wallet which attempted the most expensive and elaborate game ever.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that this delay is for the health and wellbeing of the workforce is laughable.
This is the new line of defense for SC fans. "But I thought you didn't want devs to crunch????"

As if the teams on SC aren't crunching already anyway

The mental gymnastics on display here are fascinating.

Dec 23, 2018
Even if there wasn't crunch we've had ex-developers straight up say that working with Chris Roberts is nightmarish. Personally I would rather crunch than work on something for hours and constantly have it rejected for the dumbest reasons. Or my my supervisor being an idiot that doesn't know what he's doing trying to make me do something in an ass backwards way when I know better.

sandweed

May 8, 2018
Some of the spaceships are on their 3rd or 4th design revision while basic gameplay loops are missing. Of course I don't know anything about game development.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
As mich as I understand the criticism I feel that the game gets a lot of hate from people who haven't paid any money for it and are just following the news from media. It's like it's the cool thing to shit on star citizen. Every time I see a SC thread I know exactly what comments I'm gonna read.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As mich as I understand the criticism I feel that the game gets a lot of hate from people who haven't paid any money for it and are just following the news from media. It's like it's the cool thing to shit on star citizen. Every time I see a SC thread I know exactly what comments I'm gonna read.

It's gotten hate from those that have backed it as well. Some of the criticisms aimed at SC is warranted.

I recognize now that the game has been mismanaged from the beginning. I realized even from the point I backed it in 2014 that the game will never release as was marketed in the kickstarter. Just because it's an overly ambitious game does not excuse the marketing focus on whales, hundreds of dollar dinners, and unreleased promises costing $600 and more. SQ42 is not releasing in 2020 (though I do see something being released in 2021) and some soft boot of SC in 2022 (assuming the project survives that long). SC at this point is not a fun thing to wade through, the SQ42 roadmap is dire, and the game will never meet the expectations for those die hard $1000+ backers. This game is going through the same thing that doomed FFIV and there will be no redeeming it with additional patches or major reboot. I recognize this now.

Despite these views, I feel I've gotten my money's worth ($50) from the technology demonstration and ships themselves. From the Alien themed Reclaimer to the super luxury yacht with a ship hanger and a ringed moon as a background; the scale in the technology demo impresses me. SC meets the rule of cool, if only there were a game being developed.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

So you've spent at least a grand on Star Citizen, I take it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Even if there wasn't crunch we've had ex-developers straight up say that working with Chris Roberts is nightmarish. Personally I would rather crunch than work on something for hours and constantly have it rejected for the dumbest reasons. Or my my supervisor being an idiot that doesn't know what he's doing trying to make me do something in an ass backwards way when I know better.
Can you link to this? I'm interested in seeing more details.

I don't work in game dev but I have worked in software, and I've gotten some of the same poor upper management vibes from CIG. There's a lot of nebulous pie-in-the-sky feel good "we're working on something great" talk from the higherups, while no one seems willing to actually give concrete answers or direction. Or if there is direction, it seems poorly thought out or created in a vacuum.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Backed in 2013. I got a LTE Hornet and then and LTE Super Hornet. I even built a new computer and constructed chair with a HOTAS set up for this game.

Arena Commander was promising, but late. The years roll by and the deadlines kept of getting missed. The scope blew up.

Then I lost faith that CIG were the team to deliver on the promises that they themselves wanted, and that appealed to me.

I got a refund, and still held a sliver of hope that SQ42 would release. To this point CIG has not delivered. The 3.0 patch was a year late and 90% cut back from what they promised. I am sad because I was conned.

I wanted it to succeed.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Backed in 2013. I got a LTE Hornet and then and LTE Super Hornet. I even built a new computer and constructed chair with a HOTAS set up for this game.

Arena Commander was promising, but late. The years roll by and the deadlines kept of getting missed. The scope blew up.

Then I lost faith that CIG were the team to deliver on the promises that they themselves wanted, and that appealed to me.

I got a refund, and still held a sliver of hope that SQ42 would release. To this point CIG has not delivered. The 3.0 patch was a year late and 90% cut back from what they promised. I am sad because I was conned.

I wanted it to succeed.
I'm still a backer and I want it to succeed.

But at this point there is a good to great chance that I won't even be a gamer by the time this game comes out. I did not anticipate a release that could very well be in the 2023-2025 range. I don't think anyone who backed in 2013 did either and wouldn't have if we found out we weren't actually getting a game to play for a decade.

I'm genuinely glad I also bought into Elite: Dangerous at the same time. I was able to put like 1500 hours into that game and it remains my go-to for when I want to be wowed by VR. $3 billion credits still in the bank and ready to buy a Carrier too, even though I haven't played E:D with any purpose in like 6 months.

Then there's No Man's Sky which I've owned for like a year and STILL haven't gotten to playing, which I'm sure will scratch a lot of itches too.

I would certainly not be shocked if E:D gets ship stealing, atmospheric landings and space legs years before SC launches.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What obligation do they have to finish this? And if funding stops rolling in, can they just call what they have 1.0 and ghost?
They can and their fanbase is probably gonna defend them still, "Their game is ambitious, i'm just glad they tried but we all know that it's gonna be near impossible".

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still a backer and I want it to succeed.

But at this point there is a good to great chance that I won't even be a gamer by the time this game comes out. I did not anticipate a release that could very well be in the 2023-2025 range. I don't think anyone who backed in 2013 did either and wouldn't have if we found out we weren't actually getting a game to play for a decade.

I'm genuinely glad I also bought into Elite: Dangerous at the same time. I was able to put like 1500 hours into that game and it remains my go-to for when I want to be wowed by VR. $3 billion credits still in the bank and ready to buy a Carrier too, even though I haven't played E:D with any purpose in like 6 months.

Then there's No Man's Sky which I've owned for like a year and STILL haven't gotten to playing, which I'm sure will scratch a lot of itches too.

I would certainly not be shocked if E:D gets ship stealing, atmospheric landings and space legs years before SC launches.

Say what you will about the game, E:D developed the game correctly IMHO.

Jul 17, 2018
Can you link to this? I'm interested in seeing more details.

I don't work in game dev but I have worked in software, and I've gotten some of the same poor upper management vibes from CIG. There's a lot of nebulous pie-in-the-sky feel good "we're working on something great" talk from the higherups, while no one seems willing to actually give concrete answers or direction. Or if there is direction, it seems poorly thought out or created in a vacuum.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a Star Citizen backer, I'm not mad about the delays - this is expected to happen in an ambitious game that isn't held down by the shackles of greedy publishers looking to appease stock holders and not the players. This is honestly nothing but amazing news to me. In fact, I hope I don't see this game come out until 2025 at the earliest. Every cake needs time to bake in the oven. The staggered development schedule makes a ton of sense and I want to see more completed features being added to the game.

What makes me mad about this whole thing is the lack of concept sales this year, last year we had concept sale after concept sale with many cool and new interesting ships being added to the game. This year I can only count on one hand the number of concept ships I've actually been interested in. Does this game want us to give them more money so they can continue making this game? Delays, slow progress, missed dates, etc is one thing, that I can accept as it is the nature of development (and I've been there), but not giving us a healthy supply of ship concepts is unacceptable.

I've also been hearing through the grapevine that CIG is one of the "killer-apps" that Google is looking to bring to Stadia CIG worked with Google before but now the issues lays in the fact CIG uses Lumberyard and AWS, we'll see if a deal can be made.

This is a joke post, right?

It has to be.

EDIT: Okay it seems like it is.

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
Say what you will about the game, E:D developed the game correctly IMHO.

I thought Elite: Dangerous flirted with the idea of space legs between 2013-2014 in their vague marketing. Which hasn't happened although there were rumours last year.

Given how central the whole first person seamless experience is to Star Citizen/Squadron 42 there isn't really that much competition in that space. No Man's Sky's approach appeared cumbersome. So I would't reward other games with Star Citizen Alpha's achievements based on that they might reach one day years into their own production.

But then again dividing into factions in order to bash other space games hardly seem to be the lesson that crowdfunded game projects can teach. It has been time of failure, delays and dreams but also excitement and jumps, contempt and marketing. Enjoyable time indeed although as said before no one could have anticipated the time taken, resources gathered or the twists leading into better work force in place.

Given the huge changes that years brought I would be merciful and rather question if there ever was one path available that would have lead to a better place. Instead of potential doom given how it seems rather counterintuitive to build two Cryengine using studios in Northern America in the first place. Yet that fortunately brought huge benefits when acquiring architects from the mighty Crytek by the order of the great Chris Roberts whose dreams at least partially come true.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
They need to refund everyone and just cancel this nightmare. I would be suing at this point for misrepresentation and embezzlement

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean the roadmap slippage is absurd, and it's constant. Every 6 months or so they seem to get 3-6 months or so further behind. Missing this many milestones is indicative of a poorly scoped and managed project

RM-ZGwFWw9Zq-MHLF_rMGiBAzWO5DpMlZMWd1x-oj3o.jpg