• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I thought Elite: Dangerous flirted with the idea of space legs between 2013-2014 in their vague marketing. Which hasn't happened although there were rumours last year.

Given how central the whole first person seamless experience is to Star Citizen/Squadron 42 there isn't really that much competition in that space. No Man's Sky's approach appeared cumbersome. So I would't reward other games with Star Citizen Alpha's achievements based on that they might reach one day years into their own production.

Elite's space legs almost certainly will not be as seamless as SC's. But the again, I don't think it'll be falling apart at the seams either.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
You haven't experienced the full SC experience till you are trapped in a nighmarish Higurashi/Groundhog day scenario trying to leave the station

Thats not even the worst case Ive seen of constant death I've seen in a youtube.

This one is probably more insane
Yeah, this is similar to the experience that I had with the free flight weekend end of last Year. It ended with me having a negative abount of credits and I was stranded at Hurston, suffocating in shops, because for some reason they had no air in them... and glitching out of the level to actually see what the city is really like.

Honestly, I don't think they will make it. Even without bugs and the general feel of everything being held together by duct tape, there wasn't really much of a (fun/engaging) game underneath. Maybe this will come together in 5-6 Years or so, if the money keeps flowing. Maybe the money will finally dry up and the game will release in a broken state, or maybe EA decides to buy them so they can release it and use the "cloud imperium" name for some streaming service or something.

I'm very curious what they will present this Year on Citizencon and if they manage it without stuff breaking during the live presentation. And what kind of new monetization they will introduce. Maybe expensive virtual designer clothes. Or spacecars as a second thing to get around the citys.

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
Brief reminder: Boredgamer is a probably the biggest shill for SC (unpaid at that, which makes it even sadder) and his whole youtube career is based on spinning all the CIG content in the most positive way possible.

I don't know about the particular youtuber but why should not there be various interpretations around of what will staggered development mean for Star Citizen and Squadron 42? Which then could be contested and argued. Of course it ain't great if there is only polar opposites. But I wouldn't say Boredgamer is that different from any of the other game specific youtubers.

There has been tendency to define this particular crowdfunded project with magic words such as sunk cost fallacy or Fyre Festival which is a newer one to be rather lazily thrown around. Surely a Blood, Sweat and Pixels (which I haven't read but I would assume it to be bit more well-rounded and fair in assessing both good and bad) approach would be more interesting than to be locked in conflict between imagined tribes.

Personally I find it nice the spirit of Citizencon 2948 in that they are supposedly working towards larger technological goals in hopes to lockdown whatever Star Citizen 1.0 means by then. Even though the server meshing seemed quite utopistic when the player number estimations began to took form X instead of the elder 50 or 100. Well, they were able to do planets, city planets and seamless transitions before so maybe this one also given the talented development staff. The decision to change things up with the staggered development I would take as a positive sign, with CIG being flexible and perhaps finding a better way to manage time of the teams.

Of course I trust my believe in the talented development teams making this game and the all others they have made from Alien: Isolation to Crysises and Ryse. There has been attempts to paint Erin Roberts as nepotistic choice given he is brother of Chris Roberts and current global development director. But also former studio director of Traveller's Tales Lego games and potentially the only person in the world who can reign in the lunacy of Chris Roberts. Former Diablo III and Reaper of Souls producer Alex Mayberry was originally brought into the position but he wouldn't last a year as counterbalance to Chris Roberts and seemingly made no effect. While Erin Roberts seemingly now again made an attempt at course correction. His previous touch was reworking the various teams into more united packs. Of course a more humane approach to people and their works also accounts mistrikes.

The original road map, even after alterations wasn't perhaps the best form of working on the game while having the live releases necessary for funding the monthly salaries. Who knows of staggered development but I wouldn't say Cloud Imperium Games is adrift or even lost in their odysseia. The good work built on from the huge change between 2014-2016, transforming CIG into two talented European-based studios leaning business endures.

Jul 17, 2018
I don't know about the particular youtuber but why should not there be various interpretations around of what will staggered development mean for Star Citizen and Squadron 42? Which then could be contested and argued. Of course it ain't great if there is only polar opposites. But I wouldn't say Boredgamer is that different from any of the other game specific youtubers.

There has been tendency to define this particular crowdfunded project with magic words such as sunk cost fallacy or Fyre Festival which is a newer one to be rather lazily thrown around. Surely a Blood, Sweat and Pixels (which I haven't read but I would assume it to be bit more well-rounded and fair in assessing both good and bad) approach would be more interesting than to be locked in conflict between imagined tribes.

Personally I find it nice the spirit of Citizencon 2948 in that they are supposedly working towards larger technological goals in hopes to lockdown whatever Star Citizen 1.0 means by then. Even though the server meshing seemed quite utopistic when the player number estimations began to took form X instead of the elder 50 or 100. Well, they were able to do planets, city planets and seamless transitions before so maybe this one also given the talented development staff. The decision to change things up with the staggered development I would take as a positive sign, with CIG being flexible and perhaps finding a better way to manage time of the teams.

Of course I trust my believe in the talented development teams making this game and the all others they have made from Alien: Isolation to Crysises and Ryse. There has been attempts to paint Erin Roberts as nepotistic choice given he is brother of Chris Roberts and current global development director. But also former studio director of Traveller's Tales Lego games and potentially the only person in the world who can reign in the lunacy of Chris Roberts. Former Diablo III and Reaper of Souls producer Alex Mayberry was originally brought into the position but he wouldn't last a year as counterbalance to Chris Roberts and seemingly made no effect. While Erin Roberts seemingly now again made an attempt at course correction. His previous touch was reworking the various teams into more united packs. Of course a more humane approach to people and their works also accounts mistrikes.

The original road map, even after alterations wasn't perhaps the best form of working on the game while having the live releases necessary for funding the monthly salaries. Who knows of staggered development but I wouldn't say Cloud Imperium Games is adrift or even lost in their odysseia. The good work built on from the huge change between 2014-2016, transforming CIG into two talented European-based studios leaning business endures.

Dude, you word for word said you're ok with CIG lying, stealing and cheating in order to make the game. I think you're giving SC backers a really bad rep with your google translate posting itt.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Delays goes hand in hand with new concept ship sales, like the latest 700$ "minelayer " , so it is safe to assume mines - like the star citizens themselves - aint getting laid anytime soon .

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the roadmap slippage is absurd, and it's constant. Every 6 months or so they seem to get 3-6 months or so further behind. Missing this many milestones is indicative of a poorly scoped and managed project

RM-ZGwFWw9Zq-MHLF_rMGiBAzWO5DpMlZMWd1x-oj3o.jpg
Half of 3.7.0 got delayed by 3-6-9 months, and that's par for the course for a SC patch. ( wait for microtech to be delayed or limited because Server Side Object Container Streaming is yet again not ready )
By that metric; SQ42 delay of 3 additional months, is :
- unsurprising
- a small delay
- most likely to see an ( or multiple ) additional delay into 2021

Each year for the past 4-5 (?) years as been the year of "now the studio is now bigger", "now they have x new tool to make it easier/faster". Saying that Star citizen was gonna release in 2020 was being a pessimist naysayer, now you discover that "SSOCS targeted for 3.8 but realistically might be next year. Required for Sq42. Static server meshing due end-2020, but dynamic server meshing looks like a lot later". SQ41 is now realistically at least a 2021 game, likely 2022, Star citizen, arguably 2024 ( thought I could see that simply being the date when the game become a beta which then last ~2 years before "release" ).

Dec 23, 2018
Can you link to this? I'm interested in seeing more details.

I don't work in game dev but I have worked in software, and I've gotten some of the same poor upper management vibes from CIG. There's a lot of nebulous pie-in-the-sky feel good "we're working on something great" talk from the higherups, while no one seems willing to actually give concrete answers or direction. Or if there is direction, it seems poorly thought out or created in a vacuum.

From 2016 but 99% sure most of it still relevant since you cant teach an old dog new tricks and Chris Roberts has always been an idiot

www.kotaku.co.uk

inside the troubled development of star citizen - Kotaku

Gaming Reviews, News, Tips and More.

I mean the roadmap slippage is absurd, and it's constant. Every 6 months or so they seem to get 3-6 months or so further behind. Missing this many milestones is indicative of a poorly scoped and managed project

RM-ZGwFWw9Zq-MHLF_rMGiBAzWO5DpMlZMWd1x-oj3o.jpg

This doesn't even convey most of the problem. A lot of these things have been mentioned to be just around the corner years ago. Every time they redo their schedule the community basically gives them a fresh start.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Star Citizen is just fascinating. I´m not invested financially or emotionally, but I just can´t stop looking up info on this game from time to time.
It´s like the the big foot of videogames. Almost mythical. I can understand wanting to support a game that´s doing something never done before, pushing the boundaries of videogames, but still, how it´s possible to think that this game is wellmanaged is blowing my mind. The discourse from the developer is undeniably vague, the incredibly bloated roadmap and vision with the constant additions. Like others have mentioned. The documentary on this is going to be good no matter the outcome of the game.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Whale exploitation defense force assemble
Perhaps you think it would be better to create an advisory group to decide when ppl can and cannot make videogame purchases? How much money have you spent on games this year? Let's let the community decide if you've spent too much. No, instead I think you'd rather continue the blatantly hypocritical approach of most here on Resetera of championing the cause of vulnerable whales...as long as it's a game you don't like.

You ppl don't care about whales or crunch microtransactions, you just like using these issues when they suit you as a bludgeon to criticize some games. Otherwise I think we'd see a new thread about Fortnite, a game literally built on all the things everyone professes to hate, every 5 minutes. We don't though, and so please continue the good fight protecting ppl who want to make virtual coffee, land, or cosmetic purchases for ships that don't exist yet. I don't think it's a good idea either, but it's not my money.

Dec 23, 2018
Fortnite exists, runs well without any showstopping bugs, its microtransactions are purely cosmetic and is F2P.

If SC was all of this no one would be shitting on it. Hell if it was 2/4 of these no one would care

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps you think it would be better to create an advisory group to decide when ppl can and cannot make videogame purchases? How much money have you spent on games this year? Let's let the community decide if you've spent too much. No, instead I think you'd rather continue the blatantly hypocritical approach of most here on Resetera of championing the cause of vulnerable whales...as long as it's a game you don't like.

You ppl don't care about whales or crunch microtransactions, you just like using these issues when they suit you as a bludgeon to criticize some games. Otherwise I think we'd see a new thread about Fortnite, a game literally built on all the things everyone professes to hate, every 5 minutes. We don't though, and so please continue the good fight protecting ppl who want to make virtual coffee, land, or cosmetic purchases for ships that don't exist yet. I don't think it's a good idea either, but it's not my money.

This is rich considering in this topic alone we have a couple posters doing what you are complaining about in defense of SC.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Waterfall development projects are fun.

I am only going to be expecting S42 to be coming out once they are demoing the game with the press being able to play indepenently and start writing previews.

At this point I'd bet a lot of money on S42 having an announcment at the start of next year going "we're gonna release the game episodically, folks".

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
Fortnite exists, runs well without any showstopping bugs, its microtransactions are purely cosmetic and is F2P.

If SC was all of this no one would be shitting on it. Hell if it was 2/4 of these no one would care

Squadron 42 type of games do not seem to exist without Cloud Imperium Games. If we look at the years 2013-2019 in example there has been none at least in the AAA space. Star Citizen's microtransactions are also all available to be gained through in game credits if someone needs dozens of ships or the sole ownership in a huge ship. Those hundreds of million of dollars gathered have then been channelled into monthly wages of hundreds of people who work on the game so I doubt many working for Cloud Imperium would be against ship selling model as in terms of funding a crowdfunded game.

Most of the discussion created around this game project isn't exactly the moral example to pursue. The often purposeful way of dividing people into over-simplified imaginary factions I doubt helps anyone with anything. Or posting screenshots of whatever someone wrote on the internet somewhere which I find the most bizarre part of the anti-Star Citizen tribe. As in who cares. Surely there are chances for meaningful and multifaceted criticism, given how the information flow around Star Citizen is rather quick and vast in details if not real-time or showing absurd standards of honesty for a business which is partly in it to make money besides games. Compared to more traditional games at least which do not create new information over the production almost weekly.

But perhaps dividing people is humane, as is Chris Roberts or Erin Roberts which does not always reflect on their internet envisaged personalities.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Waterfall development projects are fun.

I am only going to be expecting S42 to be coming out once they are demoing the game with the press being able to play indepenently and start writing previews.

At this point I'd bet a lot of money on S42 having an announcment at the start of next year going "we're gonna release the game episodically, folks".
They are already launching the game episodically. SQ42 is only the first part of the story.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
3 months isn't anything to criticize. It's the overall management that deserves derision.

Best case scenario Squadton 42 is the next Kingdoms of Amulor in every way.

I have my doubts the game will sell well now even if it was good and if it isn't a break out success I expect Star Citizen to not make it with out a ton of bugs like Mass Effect Andromeda.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
From the original Kickstarter:
  • The conflict never ends
Upon completion of your tour you'll re-enter the persistent Star Citizen universe with some credits in your pocket and Citizenship to help you make your way. But in the universe of Star Citizen when one conflict ends, another is just around the corner. You'll have opportunity to spend more time with your squadron mates as additional Campaigns are released as part of the content update plan.

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
From the original Kickstarter:

That was in end of 2012. So I would say it is rather encouragering if everything is not pre-planned and still following some distant master plan that would have led Star Citizen development avoiding troubles that years have brought at every turn. Given also that game envisioned in 2012 and in 2016 had a very different scale and ambition when in example planetary technology was not supposed to have anything to do with either SQ42 or Star Citizen.

The current plan I believe is stil releasing Squadron 42 as a whole instead of in example of releasing some of the 28 SQ42 chapters at a time.

Whether SQ42 is first part of a trilogy or solitary game or what is then interesting given how much money ship sales bring in. Or how the time line in production has shifted further on. I doubt ship sales will ever disappear, be it in selling ingame credits or only concept ships in the future. It would be ironic if the 233 million dollars brought in partly to resurrect Squadron 42 type of space combat campaign games would encourage to turn focus away from future single player games by the 460 million dollars valued Cloud Imperium Games.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
This is rich considering in this topic alone we have a couple posters doing what you are complaining about in defense of SC.
I have many complaints, lol. 1) The hypocrisy of complaining about crunch, but then gleefully mocking a delay, 2) the inherently paternalistic "you shouldn't be able to buy what I don't subjective value" arguments, or 3) the fact that SC is a referendum on videogame monetization on Resetera bc there are so few ppl to defend it.

Which one of my scruples are other posters using to defend SC?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

From 2016 but 99% sure most of it still relevant since you cant teach an old dog new tricks and Chris Roberts has always been an idiot

www.kotaku.co.uk

inside the troubled development of star citizen - Kotaku

Gaming Reviews, News, Tips and More.
Thanks. Roberts does sound like someone who needs someone else to keep him in check.

He sounds like the sort of guy who would walk to your desk, pitch an idea, and you'd need to drop everything you're doing to do whatever he says. Except he would do that regularly, constantly derailling your direction and progress.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
It would be ironic if the 233 million dollars brought in partly to resurrect Squadron 42 type of space combat campaign games would encourage to turn focus away from future single player games by the 460 million dollars valued Cloud Imperium Games.

I can appreciate that English isn't your first language, it's not mine either, there's nothing wrong with that.
But why do you consistently talk like a press release?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have many complaints, lol. 1) The hypocrisy of complaining about crunch, but then gleefully mocking a delay, 2) the inherently paternalistic "you shouldn't be able to buy what I don't subjective value" arguments, or 3) the fact that SC is a referendum on videogame monetization on Resetera bc there are so few ppl to defend it.

fucking hell. Criticising the delay has absolutely nothing to do with crunch culture.

also dont the devs do crunch? Googling the issue got me this;

Personally I dont see it as much of an issue, but why the narrative that the delay is to avoid crunch? It isn't even stated as a reason why they moved to staggered development.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dude, you word for word said you're ok with CIG lying, stealing and cheating in order to make the game. I think you're giving SC backers a really bad rep with your google translate posting itt.

And there I was trying to figure out why their writing was so difficult to parsed through.

I can appreciate that English isn't your first language, it's not mine either, there's nothing wrong with that.
But why do you consistently talk like a press release?

This too.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder how much longer this will go on before it all comes crumbling down

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Staggered development is very hard to manage on completed software, let alone a boondoggle like this.

Khilandros

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not surprised at all, knowing their track record of schedules and stuff for releases...can't believe some people didn't see this coming.

Glad I just bought a starter pack ages ago and left it at that, unlike my friends who are pouring thousands into this. I get that people have great hopes and dreams for SC and SQ42, but damn is it getting ridiculous and the amount of expensive ships they keep popping out (them whales just gobbling it up)...wow.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not surprised at all, knowing their track record of schedules and stuff for releases...can't believe some people didn't see this coming.

Glad I just bought a starter pack ages ago and left it at that, unlike my friends who are pouring thousands into this. I get that people have great hopes and dreams for SC and SQ42, but damn is it getting ridiculous and the amount of expensive ships they keep popping out (them whales just gobbling it up)...wow.

I feel for your friends

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Half of 3.7.0 got delayed by 3-6-9 months, and that's par for the course for a SC patch. ( wait for microtech to be delayed or limited because Server Side Object Container Streaming is yet again not ready )
By that metric; SQ42 delay of 3 additional months, is :
- unsurprising
- a small delay
- most likely to see an ( or multiple ) additional delay into 2021

Each year for the past 4-5 (?) years as been the year of "now the studio is now bigger", "now they have x new tool to make it easier/faster". Saying that Star citizen was gonna release in 2020 was being a pessimist naysayer, now you discover that "SSOCS targeted for 3.8 but realistically might be next year. Required for Sq42. Static server meshing due end-2020, but dynamic server meshing looks like a lot later". SQ41 is now realistically at least a 2021 game, likely 2022, Star citizen, arguably 2024 ( thought I could see that simply being the date when the game become a beta which then last ~2 years before "release" ).

Ironically then, Star Citzen development has a Half-Life of about 2 years.

Dec 23, 2018
Staggered development is very hard to manage on completed software, let alone a boondoggle like this.
I think WoW and FFXIV do things like this but over a much larger time frame. I know FFXIV does alternating teams dealing with expansions. So while one team works on an expansion the other handles the patches in between the expansions. When the expansion releases the team that was working on the expansion takes over patches and the other team begins making the content for the next expansion. This is a 1.5 year cycle.

The biggest issue I saw with Star Citizens development is that there were very clear bottlenecks and splitting the development will not improve the output. All non art content seemed to hit a bottle neck that required a particular team of engineers to fix, and since they cant work on a multitude of things at the same time delayed started to happen.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Call me crazy but I'd wait for a company to actually deliver a product before praising them because this type of product wouldn't exist without them.

I normally don't go looking at a poster's history unless I remember their posts from before and want to verify something. Tulipunaruusu has only 58 posts so far and 80 percent or more of it is about defending Star Citizen. I'm beginning to think that they might be a shill but whether they are paid or just a super fan, that's the question.

I think WoW and FFXIV do things like this but over a much larger time frame. I know FFXIV does alternating teams dealing with expansions. So while one team works on an expansion the other handles the patches in between the expansions. When the expansion releases the team that was working on the expansion takes over patches and the other team begins making the content for the next expansion. This is a 1.5 year cycle.

The biggest issue I saw with Star Citizens development is that there were very clear bottlenecks and splitting the development will not improve the output. All non art content seemed to hit a bottle neck that required a particular team of engineers to fix, and since they cant work on a multitude of things at the same time delayed started to happen.

That's the thing with Star Citizen. If they had proper boundaries and prevent feature creep, the game could be out by now, with updates and maybe an expansion or two, getting there slowly while being more confidence inspiring. I don't believe they started the kickstarter with scamming people in mind but it has become a necessity to keep selling digital content that you may or may not be able to play at crazy prices to keep themselves afloat.

It's like they tried to do the whole of Wow and its expansion pack, and more, and waiting to finish before releasing the game

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah, this is similar to the experience that I had with the free flight weekend end of last Year. It ended with me having a negative abount of credits and I was stranded at Hurston, suffocating in shops, because for some reason they had no air in them... and glitching out of the level to actually see what the city is really like.

Honestly, I don't think they will make it. Even without bugs and the general feel of everything being held together by duct tape, there wasn't really much of a (fun/engaging) game underneath. Maybe this will come together in 5-6 Years or so, if the money keeps flowing. Maybe the money will finally dry up and the game will release in a broken state, or maybe EA decides to buy them so they can release it and use the "cloud imperium" name for some streaming service or something.

I'm very curious what they will present this Year on Citizencon and if they manage it without stuff breaking during the live presentation. And what kind of new monetization they will introduce. Maybe expensive virtual designer clothes. Or spacecars as a second thing to get around the citys.
A partnership with Gucci and Fendi for limited-time digital designer coats, shoes, pants, backpacks, suits, and fedoras seems suddenly very likely.

As does a partnership with Tesla for in-game flying city-cars designed by Tesla engineers.

I can see the dough rolling in.

Oct 29, 2017
There's a rumor post in the SA thread that CIG is terrified by the Crytek suit and that it could cause SC to have to discard the current codebase and start fresh with another engine. That would obviously be a disaster and would likely crater the company completely.

Even if said rumor is completely false (likely), I think they're pretty low on funding and would never get to a 2020+ release date anyways, given their current financial trajectory.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A partnership with Gucci and Fendi for limited-time digital designer coats, shoes, pants, backpacks, suits, and fedoras seems suddenly very likely.

As does a partnership with Tesla for in-game flying city-cars designed by Tesla engineers.

I can see the dough rolling in.
Or rather, RSI will create expensive virtual brands and create real clothing 'inspired' by it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a rumor post in the SA thread that CIG is terrified by the Crytek suit and that it could cause SC to have to discard the current codebase and start fresh with another engine. That would obviously be a disaster and would likely crater the company completely.

Even if said rumor is completely false (likely), I think they're pretty low on funding and would never get to a 2020+ release date anyways, given their current financial trajectory.
I thought they are safe funding-wise for at least few years? They could probably pull off more scummy ways to make this whole thing chug along

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone expecting this game to adhere to any kind of timeline is going to drive themself crazy.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

LO-fucking-L at trying to tie this into the crunch debate because you've read some thread titles recently that used the word.

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
I normally don't go looking at a poster's history unless I remember their posts from before and want to verify something. Tulipunaruusu has only 58 posts so far and 80 percent or more of it is about defending Star Citizen. I'm beginning to think that they might be a shill but whether they are paid or just a super fan, that's the question.

You could say my hobby is following and discussing Star Citizen. Mostly in Finnish though on a generalist tech forum since I haven't really found a good outlet in English. Other games I follow and discuss then on Resetera are posted upon so quickly that it really doesn't get the back and forth type of discussion going on which I am looking for. Instead its more like reading out of a wall.

RPG Codex is bit edgy and onesided but propably the highest quality Star Citizen discussion available in English. While Somethingawful has some good insight that gets lost in tribalism where everyone should be totally against the subject.

If defending Star Citizen is forming an interpretation in which Chris Roberts in example is treated as a human with good and bad qualities to his personality and effect on Star Citizen, then I guess I am defending this horrible monster launched upon a world that does not need attempts to make games like Squadron 42.

If work force is what makes a game then I'll be on the team with the former Cryengine architects and Nathan Dearsley of Alien: Isolation fame. If I have to choose a tribe on the internet I would go with these masters of their craft given their already enormous effect in how ships, environments and technical basis of Star Citizen have taken leaps ahead since 2014-2016.

Personally I enjoy reading and discussing multifaceted analysis of character and games where persons or projects are not purely good or evil.

...While waiting for Squadron 42 especially and Citizencon which usually is quite exciting as were the Gamescom streams before. Personal interaction as seen in the 24/7 live stream was also nice. So were Jump Point magazines when they still had dev comments taken out of internal communication platforms. I thought those were really fascinating insights same as the Squadron 42 behind the scenes videos from the performance capture shoot in London. So I guess I am a fan for continuing to enjoy the ride. Even the court battle between Crytek and Cloud Imperium Games has brought entertainment.

I have more recently criticized the way the ever more aggressive ship salesmanship has led CIG video output and communications to take less informal, teleprompter reading stance instead of continuing with their greatest strength in relying on the charisma of the likes of Wingman, Chris Roberts and Disco Lando.

The latest staggered development twist I wish represents the leadership of Erin Roberts in charge of counter-balancing the folly of Chris Roberts micromanagement.But for me Erin Roberts too can fail, as we are all only human.