• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
The real sad part is people buying these ships actually believe other players will be on them like in those trailers having a blast. At most it will happen in big role playing spender orgs that will take turns playing captain.

Every other scenario they will sit alone in their 300 meter yachts with no one in them except maybe some AI.

No one wants to party on your boat Gatsby.

My thoughts exactly.
If this game will ever release will be very soon populated only by those who spent a huge amount of money.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ships have very little to do with the slow ass dev speed.
Tech is and always as been their biggest problem. They can pump out ships and fancy trailers all year long if they want because that what artist are for(and it brings them money obviously). They however can't just throw every single employees at their many programming roadblock because that's not how management works.
I'm positive they're clueless about management regardless of what roadblocks they are facing

Especially with someone like Roberts and his close family helming everything

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My thoughts exactly.
If this game will ever release will be very soon populated only by those who spent a huge amount of money.
I think if this ever comes out as promised it will be quite successful like EVE Online.
Not quite to that degree but SC seems to have attracted enough crowd that it will survive. EVE also has players I reckon who had spend quote a lot there.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Maybe I'm biased because I haven't spent any money on it, but I don't care how much time or funding this game burns through. I'm just glad that there's a studio out there trying to do something insanely ambitious. Feels like there hasn't been a true tour de force PC exclusive since Crysis back in 2007.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can kinda see both sides, This is crazy how much it's delayed and what should have been out by now

BUT

A game of this scale and scope has never been done before not even close. There are going to be some unexpected roadblocks
There's a reason a game of this "scale and scope" has never been done before and it's not because Chris Roberts is some auteur.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
I'm positive they're clueless about management regardless of what roadblocks they are facing

Especially with someone like Roberts and his close family helming everything

Might be. Then again they are trying to a lot of things that no one else as tried before so problems are to be expected. One could argue that good management/producer would have cut down on the numbers of insane features but SC fan don't care how long it takes so why should they

Last edited:

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Milking whales as long as possible.

If they finally need to step up and present something beyond a tech demo (that's even not impressive anymore) even some of the most dedicated people will finally get worried.

Jul 17, 2018
I think it is bit unnecessary to be labelled a fan boy when I have given plenty of negatives in Chris Roberts and Star Citizen also in order to create new viewpoints.

This is you earlier in the thread:

The Paying the monthly wages of those talented artisans is nice given how they are super effective. Lie, cheat or steal to have them continue their great work which slowly began in the years 2014-2015.

You should stop posting outright lies and stop defending shady practices.

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018
If working on a dream benefits from hype created and various forms of excitement provided I cheer that nice, young, modest Englishman Chris to carry on.

Of course looking back now in time Star Citizen was not found on anything but quite unstable foundation and I wouldn't recommend myself to buy into it in 2013.

Yet Squadron 42 appears to have shaped out be quite thorough take on space war campaign in terms of the previously unseen seamless big ship experience.

We cannot let the tragedy of Vega happen again but if Squadron 42 releases bearing adequote quality standards I would say fair play for everyone no matter what disasters might loom ahead. All for one and one for all.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'm now at a point where I think Tulipinaruusu is just trolling

The Vega tragedy?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Maybe I'm biased because I haven't spent any money on it, but I don't care how much time or funding this game burns through. I'm just glad that there's a studio out there trying to do something insanely ambitious. Feels like there hasn't been a true tour de force PC exclusive since Crysis back in 2007.
The problem is not the ambition, it is the lack of milestone.
Is it really that ambitious with EVE Online and Elite already there? (honest question).

Tulipunaruusu

Oct 13, 2018

FondReliableHartebeest-size_restricted.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that ambitious with EVE Online and Elite already there? (honest question).

Yes, the scope on paper is something we have never had before.

We had "fights" on Neogaf 2-3 years ago whether the game is going to deliver, and since the Gamescom? presentation two years ago, the game is revving in the same ditch. The path forward isn't more ships,more NPCs or more worlds, it is the mythical server technology and stability. End of 2020 is when they will have the server technology to actually support the game, and until then, it has the gameplay loop of the crappy indie early-access survival game with expensive assets.

With this server tech barrier, the game cannot progress towards the MMO state, so any kind of balance, economy, persistance or role-playing is impossible.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I have actually backed the game and I'm in much the same boat. I backed it because I'm interested in the possibility of something like this actually coming to fruition. If it doesn't work out then fair play, that's how kickstarter and EA can shake up and it wont be the first project I've backed or bought into EA of only to find it never meets its goals or never even gets a finalized build.

I love space sims but non of them tick all the boxes for me yet. SC is trying to so that's enough for me. I'll always have Elite: Dangerous as a backup, but that's another project that has endlessly difficulty meetings its targets too. I just think this genre is a bitch to do everything you want to with in general.

Eve is quite a different type of game considering the vast majority of it plays like a spreadsheet. Other than being an space MMO I wouldn't say it has much at all in common with Elite or SC. Elite is definitely a better example but it's also far from there. Everything that was planned for the roadmap has been repeatedly shifted back, planned future features sold as expansion packs instead, and we're endlessly waiting on the next major feature only to be met with a delay more often than not.

It also took like 2 years to even get the thargoids in didn't it? I was a very active member of cannon and was one of the first to the barnacle sights original discovery and one of the first to trade them. Even as an active member a lot of people got sick of waiting for something actually come of it all.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018

'They thought up the greatest space sim ever made' lol. You're supposed to be awed by the sheer ambition, even if the product fails.

I have actually backed the game and I'm in much the same boat. I backed it because I'm interested in the possibility of something like this actually coming to fruition. If it doesn't work out then fair play, that's how kickstarter and EA can shake up and it wont be the first project I've backed or bought into EA of only to find it never meets its goals or never even gets a finalized build.

I love space sims but non of them tick all the boxes for me yet. SC is trying to so that's enough for me. I'll always have Elite: Dangerous as a backup, but that's another project that has endlessly difficulty meetings its targets too. I just think this genre is a bitch to do everything you want to with in general.

Eve is quite a different type of game considering the vast majority of it plays like a spreadsheet. Other than being an space MMO I wouldn't say it has much at all in common with Elite or SC. Elite is definitely a better example but it's also far from there. Everything that was planned for the roadmap has been repeatedly shifted back, planned future features sold as expansion packs instead, and we're endlessly waiting on the next major feature only to be met with a delay more often than not.

It also took like 2 years to even get the thargoids in didn't it? I was a very active member of cannon and was one of the first to the barnacle sights original discovery and one of the first to trade them. Even as an active member a lot of people got sick of waiting for something actually come of it all.

Elite is released and in a way, way better state than SC. Why is SC constantly compared to released games?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Players: Hey the game lags and stutters like crazy when we are more than 20 people on the same server at a time.. can you please fix it?
Star Citizen Devs: hmmmm.... I have no idea what to say... but here, now you can buy a space ship (for less than $1.000) where you can party with 40+ people at one time online.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
'They thought up the greatest space sim ever made' lol. You're supposed to be awed by the sheer ambition, even if the product fails.

Elite is released and in a way, way better state than SC. Why is SC constantly compared to released games?

Released sure but it's also bare bones and I'm saying this as a long time player who's been with it since the first day of Alpha. It's being compared because it IS comparable as was clearly stated in my last post. Both projects are repeatedly missing goals and moving at an absolutely glacial pace. Because one prioritized the bare minimum to hit release while struggling with all its other targets for years on end and having serious issues with player retention there's some actual discussion to be had about while both have taken different approaches to release both have fumbled it rather heavily.

Let's just look at how when NMS, Elite and SC were all in the early stages each was touted as the next big thing from some groups and yet none had more than moderate or troubled success. What I was speaking to, was that as a genre none of these releases have been without issue or avoided facing ongoing difficulties after release.

Jul 17, 2018
Released sure but it's also bare bones and I'm saying this as a long time player who's been with it since the first day of Alpha. It's being compared because it IS comparable as was clearly stated in my last post. Both projects are repeatedly missing goals and moving at an absolutely glacial pace. Because one prioritized the bare minimum to hit release while struggling with all its other targets for years on end and having serious issues with player retention there's some actual discussion to be had about while both have taken different approaches to release both have fumbled it rather heavily.

Let's just look at how when NMS, Elite and SC were all in the early stages each was touted as the next big thing from some groups and yet none had more than moderate or troubled success. What I was speaking to, was that as a genre none of these releases have been without issue or avoided facing ongoing difficulties after release.

NMS and Elite both have working flight models, both are completely playable at this very moment. You are comparing two post-launch support cases with a game that's in alpha after 7 years of development at $280mil budget. 'Bare bones' is basically SC for those last 7 years.

Also, not NMS nor Elite asks you to pay $155 just to be able to mine stuff.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point if people what to throw away their money then it's their fault, i'll just laugh at them when this eventuallu crashes and burned or buy the game day 1 if it ever releases and probably return it day 1 after learning how fucked the economy of the game is already with a tons of whales. It's a win-win

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
NMS and Elite both have working flight models, both are completely playable at this very moment. You are comparing two post-launch support cases with a game that's in alpha after 7 years of development at $280mil budget. 'Bare bones' is basically SC for those last 7 years.

Qft. People are comparing hopes and dreams to actual playable working games.
SC can promise whatever they want but you don't get credit for just saying it. Noones rating an alpha build

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I've explained the point twice now and it's clearly going over your head here or you're being intentionally obtuse. Yes they released. With Early Access and Kickstarter release is kind of missing all meaning. Elite has 'released' in the sense that you can basically make up stuff to do because there's no real template beyond that. Do menial task for money, rinse and repeat. It's the definition of mile wide, inch deep in gaming. Content on the roadmap from 2013 is still not here. You're gonna need to point me to the bit here Frontier had totally planned to miss targets 6 years later.

NMS 'released' missing most of the features touted throughout game development, some of which were just straight up non existent to begin with. I'm not sure the plan was to 'release' with the shitstorm they did due to their mismananged launch.

So again, what do you think seems to be more a relevant point of discussion here? That all 3 big space games of 2013 have had extremely troubled development, or the semantics of wtf released even means in a market where games now have alpha stage development aspects taking place all the way into beta and beyond release. Feature complete literally doesn't even exist in this genre. Because this point of contention over which has 'released' has literally nothing to do with what I'm talking about yet you keep sticking to it.

sandweed

May 8, 2018

SC is also incredibly bare bones. In terms of content and gameplay it's not even close to ED.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've explained the point twice now and it's clearly going over your head here or you're being intentionally obtuse. Yes they released. With Early Access and Kickstarter release is kind of missing all meaning. Elite has 'released' in the sense that you can basically make up stuff to do because there's no real template beyond that. Do menial task for money, rinse and repeat. It's the definition of mile wide, inch deep in gaming. Content on the roadmap from 2013 is still not here. You're gonna need to point me to the bit here Frontier had totally planned to miss targets 6 years later.

NMS 'released' missing most of the features touted throughout game development, some of which were just straight up non existent to begin with. I'm not sure the plan was to 'release' with the shitstorm they did due to their mismananged launch.

So again, what do you think seems to be more a relevant point of discussion here? That all 3 big space games of 2013 have had extremely troubled development, or the semantics of wtf released even means in a market where games now have alpha stage development aspects taking place all the way into beta and beyond release. Feature complete literally doesn't even exist in this genre. Because this point of contention over which has 'released' has literally nothing to do with what I'm talking about yet you keep sticking to it.
If ED is a mile wide and an inch deep then what is SC? A 1 mm deep knitting dice?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SC is also incredibly bare bones. In terms of content and gameplay it's not even close to ED.

Yeah I know I never said it wasnt which is why I'm confused on the focus on that. My point was all three of the big 3 space games of 2013 released in a bare bones state and one of those is still struggling to grow beyond that. I'm not trying to even prop up any over the other, simply pointing out all of these have faced varied issues. It's not some contest lol, I'm trying to say 2013 was a perfect storm of people itching to play space games and lofty promises that literally none of them have ever delivered on.

If anything what I'm saying is all three have probably made the genre even more volatile to try make a game in than it would have been otherwise

If ED is a mile wide and an inch deep then what is SC? A 1 mm deep knitting dice?

Jfc gaming side. Read my posts and you might actually notice whatever discussion you're trying to have has nothing to do with what I'm saying

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know I never said it wasnt which is why I'm confused on the focus on that. My point was all three of the big 3 space games of 2013 released in a bare bones state and one of those is still struggling to grow beyond that. I'm not trying to even prop up any over the other, simply pointing out all of these have faced varied issues. It's not some contest lol, I'm trying to say 2013 was a perfect storm of people itching to play space games and lofty promises that literally none of them have ever delivered on.

If anything what I'm saying is all three have probably made the genre even more volatile to try make a game in than it would have been otherwise

QUOTE="Fularu, post: 24428515, member: 3024"]
SC has yet to release is the point

Jul 17, 2018

Jfc gaming side. Read my posts and you might actually notice whatever discussion you're trying to have has nothing to do with what I'm saying

Only 2 of the games mentioned actually released. Maybe try to not be misleading?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Oh you're me now? Because no that wasn't the point. The point was clearly stated bit you just missed for the third time now to the point I'm genuinely confused how you're missing it. That point is the point you keep making which has literally nothing to do with what I said. Like please, if you're gonna keep filling my inbox with reply notifications put in the bare minimum to read it first

Only 2 of the games mentioned actually released. Maybe try to not be misleading?

Dear god can you actually read first. Seriously. Not once did I ever say it was released and you guys are the only ones keep going on about. For the last time, underlined in case you miss it.

THE POINT WAS ALL 3 BIG SPACE GAMES OF 2013 HAVE FACED ONGOING DIFFICULTIES AND PERSONALLY I THINK HAS MADE THE GENRE MORE VOLATILE THAN EVER TO DEVELOP IN

Now please if you actually have anything about that say go ahead, I'm done responding to people going on about shit I literally never even addressed till you guys missed the point and decided to try make one up instead

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018
Oh you're me now? Because no that wasn't the point. The point was clearly stated bit you just missed for the third time now to the point I'm genuinely confused how you're missing it. That point is the point you keep making which has literally nothing to do with what I said. Like please, if you're gonna keep filling my inbox with reply notifications put in the bare minimum to read it first

Your 'point' is whataboutism which, aside from being a fallacy, is completely inaccurate because you're comparing two complete games to a perpetual alpha. Maybe this will clarify.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your 'point' is whataboutism which, aside from being a fallacy, is completely inaccurate because you're comparing two complete games to a perpetual alpha. Maybe this will clarify.

4 times now. I've said 4 times and bolded and underlined what my point was. I've clarified plenty. So kindly stop trying to tell me what my point was or you're going on ignore since you're just talking past me with whatever shit you feel like reading into rather than anything I've said

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is there some kind of bet to see which Star Citizen defender can come across as more unhinged?

This entire page is a train wreck.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Your friend might need help in a similar way any gambling addict might need help. It's not healthy.

Not at all the same thing, since he knows what he's buying. While when you gamble you are risking your money in exchange of a promise that you will get more money. Another thing would be that your compulsive purchase of virtual ships put your family's economy in check, then yeah, it would be a problem. But if he can afford to spend all that money in that without a risk... well good for him.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people arguing with Dyno lol.

I disagree with comparing NMS, ED with Star Citizen, but surely you get his point. All these space flight sims are inch deep in terms of gameplay depth. The tech is just not there, in terms of almost everything.

Still at least NMS is 'there', and ED is strolling around with people actually able to play it.

Like someone here posted, the Star Citizen demos are just an alpha vertical slice. I just can't see it even gets close to ED on release when they have spent close to a decade in development and still having trouble on managing an object's state in the game that boxes just clip and fall out of your ship.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still hate it when people say Elite is an inch deep.

Gotta be at least three inches by now.
lol, I guess that's fine.

It really is crazy reading about this whole Star Citizen thing and realising what a clusterfuck it is. I thought it was bad a few months ago on reading about Chris Roberts, actually watching Wing Commander the movie, but never really got into how the game development was like.

When you see that people have been using the same defense from 3-4 years ago, something just isn't right. When you see that it has a ponzi scheme on getting new players and paying with real cash for fuel for ships that you paid for...

...and then you find out that they set it up that it's cheaper if you pay the ship with your card instead of using store credit, you just wonder how bad the blowback would be when they run out of development money. Oh that's coming, especially when there's legit info out there on how much they have spent that they are left with a fraction of that 200++ million dollar crowdfunding money.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
4 times now. I've said 4 times and bolded and underlined what my point was. I've clarified plenty. So kindly stop trying to tell me what my point was or you're going on ignore since you're just talking past me with whatever shit you feel like reading into rather than anything I've said
Yeah, you're 100% accurate in what you said. They've all had rough releases and are still struggling in ways to still fulfill what they promised.

I disagree with comparing NMS, ED with Star Citizen, but surely you get his point. All these space flight sims are inch deep in terms of gameplay depth. The tech is just not there, in terms of almost everything.

Still at least NMS is 'there', and ED is strolling around with people actually able to play it.

Like someone here posted, the Star Citizen demos are just an alpha vertical slice. I just can't see it even gets close to ED on release when they have spent close to a decade in development and still having trouble on managing an object's state in the game that boxes just clip and fall out of your ship.

The thing is, and I'll say this as my opinion, is that SC is in a state that I find has enough things to do as it is to make it viable compared to the other games. I found myself at times bored and confused in Elite Dangerous. Like all I did was go from port to port (which all looked the same) getting the same missions doing the same things. I couldn't even tell the ships apart and at times was not even sure if there were even other ship designs than the one you start with.. You can do that in SC right now except there are on foot missions as well as in ship. The same can be said for NMS. It's kind of a different beast in terms of game play loop, but honestly, once the fresh car smell went away, it too had a... kind of plain game play loop. Again, from my perspective and I understand if it's different for different people because they all have different mechanics even though they all have flying, mining, trading, etc.

I've had my moments of fun in all three games, and pretty much spent the same amount of hours in each and technically SC isn't even out yet. So I don't think it's really fair to say that Star Citizen is just a vertical slice.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're 100% accurate in what you said. They've all had rough releases and are still struggling in ways to still fulfill what they promised.

The thing is, and I'll say this as my opinion, is that SC is in a state that I find has enough things to do as it is to make it viable compared to the other games. I found myself at times bored and confused in Elite Dangerous. Like all I did was go from port to port (which all looked the same) getting the same missions doing the same things. I couldn't even tell the ships apart and at times was not even sure if there were even other ship designs than the one you start with.. You can do that in SC right now except there are on foot missions as well as in ship. The same can be said for NMS. It's kind of a different beast in terms of game play loop, but honestly, once the fresh car smell went away, it too had a... kind of plain game play loop. Again, from my perspective and I understand if it's different for different people because they all have different mechanics even though they all have flying, mining, trading, etc.

I've had my moments of fun in all three games, and pretty much spent the same amount of hours in each and technically SC isn't even out yet. So I don't think it's really fair to say that Star Citizen is just a vertical slice.
I get it, problem is they still haven't solved basic features that should already be in the game.

The scope that they are going for is close to impossible with the tech we have. I only can see a Star Citizen release happening if they decide to make it more manageable.

Jul 17, 2018

This right there is the difference between genuine criticism and an opinion.

It's an objective fact that SC is a vertical slice right now just from seeing the state of the game, the flight model, the number of systems and missions. That you had fun with it is a completely different thing and that's cool, but it's in no way an argument against calling the game a vertical slice.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

At this point thats compete garbage for NMS.

They had several massive free upgrades that went far beyond what they promise.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also think it's fair to call what Star Citizen is now a vertical slice. Hell, that's being nice about it, since they've declared themselves that 4.0 will be a vertical slice.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. Yeah you guys are getting what I'm saying. I think we're at a point where people want that space sim that can do it all and be everything. I was one and I figured one of these three would actually come close but none have really done it yet. And regardless of those that are released or not the three are still actively in development so as it stand they're my best hope for getting that all in one space sim.

I wish all 3 of them the best and check in on each at least once a year but it does feel like we're short of the actual tech. I mean in the end all I want is to play a really damn good space sim. And I think each has its strengths with what its aiming for, some are closer to that vision than others for sure too (I'd pick NMS as closest right now tbh), but none have everything tied together in a way that's keeping me around for extended periods now the honeymoon phase has worn off.

I was never really intending to compare one to the other as to pit them up against each other rather than highlight how all have had issues actually hitting their targets. And it makes sense, space sims with high quality assets cant be an easy thing do especially if you're going for an MMO approach. I just hope it doesn't deter other studios from trying too, but realistically this was a dead genre for a long time and I do worry we could end up back there again.