• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
:3333333333333

listen, my vintage Cross Colors hockey jersey is the freshest thing anyone in The Bubble has. Cost me a million credits.

and who doesn't have boxes of J's in tbqh
You know what, I would buy DLC version of a vintage 90s Hurricanes Starter jacket, 15 bucks sight unseen

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The thing is, and I'll say this as my opinion, is that SC is in a state that I find has enough things to do as it is to make it viable compared to the other games. I found myself at times bored and confused in Elite Dangerous. Like all I did was go from port to port (which all looked the same) getting the same missions doing the same things. I couldn't even tell the ships apart and at times was not even sure if there were even other ship designs than the one you start with..
Yikes. It sounds like you didn't even play Elite Dangerous enough to even get out of the starter systems and starter ships.

Unlike SC, you can't pay your way into better, different ships. You have to play and actually earn them. Yes at the beginning options to make money are limited but that's to keep the game fairly straight forward (and even then you were admittedly confused). After you reach a certain level (rank, understanding), then profession options those open up. Sounds like you missed out on quite a bit of the game.

You could have been mining (which is actually pretty cool these days), trading, bounty hunting pirates, pirating scrubs, faction warring, building access to new alien weapons and technology through a horde of missions, fighting aliens on the frontier, raiding planetary installations for special materials, aligning with various military groups and gaining access to special ships and weapons, working with engineers to enhance every part of your ship collection, and so on. Hell, if you wanted to you could have been driving a tour bus. And next to none of those are missions on bounty boards, which it reads like the only things you were doing and I can certainly understand how would have been boring if you were doing nothing but bounty board work for the entirety of your experience.

That's too bad. The game can be a slow burn and even slower if you don't realize you can be doing whatever you want to do to generate income. Playing ED when you know what you're doing in VR is a come-to-jesus moment.

You know what, I would buy DLC version of a vintage 90s Hurricanes Starter jacket, 15 bucks sight unseen
I'll never forget how bad I wanted a 90s Wu-Wear hockey jersey. I'd probably frame one if I got one. Try to get it signed.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Yikes. It sounds like you didn't even play Elite Dangerous enough to even get out of the starter systems and starter ships.

Unlike SC, you can't pay your way into better, different ships. You have to play and actually earn them. Yes at the beginning options to make money are limited but that's to keep the game fairly straight forward (and even then you were admittedly confused). After you reach a certain level (rank, understanding), then profession options those open up. Sounds like you missed out on quite a bit of the game.

You could have been mining (which is actually pretty cool these days), trading, bounty hunting pirates, pirating scrubs, faction warring, building access to new alien weapons and technology through a horde of missions, fighting aliens on the frontier, raiding planetary installations for special materials, aligning with various military groups and gaining access to special ships and weapons, working with engineers to enhance every part of your ship collection, and so on. Hell, if you wanted to you could have been driving a tour bus. And next to none of those are missions on bounty boards, which it reads like the only things you were doing and I can certainly understand how would have been boring if you were doing nothing but bounty board work for the entirety of your experience.

That's too bad. The game can be a slow burn and even slower if you don't realize you can be doing whatever you want to do to generate income. Playing ED when you know what you're doing in VR is a come-to-jesus moment.

I'll never forget how bad I wanted a 90s Wu-Wear hockey jersey. I'd probably frame one if I got one. Try to get it signed.

Yeah, it's partially my fault for not being able to get in deep with ED just due to my play style. Though while I did play, I never felt like I got the idea there was more to the game. I did the tutorials, watched youtube videos, and (checks steam) only played for 23 hours. And checking NMS I only got 13 hours in it. They just didn't really grab me I guess. Now you talking about ED though got me wanting to try again.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017

Honestly I'm sometimes overwhelmed with how much there is to do in Elite nowadays. I ranked up with the Empire to get a Cutter which I then used to ferry refugees out of a burning station and also to finally get to trade Elite which gave me enough cash to kit out an exploration Krait Phantom which I then engineered and even explored alien ruins to get the right materials for upgrades and set out to finally get to the center of the galaxy for the first time, still in awe at the neutron star jets and now I'm halfway back to the Bubble and I just discovered this game has SPACE CRYSTALS and SPACE JELLYFISH?!

The game doesn't hold your hand and it doesn't give you a direction, and I get that that's not for everyone, but that is not the game's weakness that is its strength.

Much more than a mile wide, and at least several inches deep.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I genuinely find this argument to be offensive.

CIG absolutely has crunch, and the dev time of this project has absolutely nothing to do with safeguarding the health and wellbeing of their employees. To say otherwise is both patently false, and a gross corruption of the actual issue of crunch within the industry.
To say that ppl on Resetera whine about crunch, but then complain about delays and want games released yesterday is false? What message board do you moderate?

What is the actual issue of crunch? Do you think it's not related to unrealistic fan demand paired with unsympathetic management? Did we not have countless articles about how Apex Legends wasn't doing enough to keep players as compared to the Fortnite updates?

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
To say that ppl on Resetera whine about crunch, but then complain about delays and want games released yesterday is false? What message board do you moderate?

What is the actual issue of crunch? Do you think it's not related to unrealistic fan demand paired with unsympathetic management? Did we not have countless articles about how Apex Legends wasn't doing enough to keep players as compared to the Fortnite updates?
Do you honestly believe that they were going to legitimately release this game 3 months sooner due to fan demand, but were like "wait, we don't want to put an unnecessary workload on our employees"

Like that's the scenario you're going with in your head?

So you've basically brought two options to the table:

A) You either just heard about SC and are trying to use a situation you have no knowledge about to paint the board as hypocrites to suit your agenda

B) You know exactly what the situation is, but are trying your best mental gymnastics to force the crunch peg into the SC hole in an effort to deflect actual criticism.

Either choice is a pretty bold move.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
How dare people be upset about poor expectation management. Because it's the players fault that those deadlines and release schedules were set up in the first place right? So any disappointment when they aren't met is unjustified because we as players created this problem.

Wait, no, that makes no sense.

Maybe we should indeed be responding as we are at Chris Roberts and his continued failure to either run his operation smoothly, set reasonable, deadlines control the scope of his project or probably all of the above.
You make many fair points about CIG's absolute inability to meet deadlines. I don't really have much to add other than that.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Do you honestly believe that they were going to legitimately release this game 3 months sooner due to fan demand, but were like "wait, we don't want to put an unnecessary workload on our employees"

Like that's the scenario you're going with in your head?

So you've basically brought two options to the table:

A) You either just heard about SC and are trying to use a situation you have no knowledge about to paint the board as hypocrites to suit your agenda

B) You know exactly what the situation is, but are trying your best mental gymnastics to force the crunch peg into the SC hole in an effort to deflect actual criticism.

Either choice is a pretty bold move.
You've got me, very clever internet person. I'm sure you're very concerned about crunch though, so keep up your good fight.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm biased because I haven't spent any money on it, but I don't care how much time or funding this game burns through. I'm just glad that there's a studio out there trying to do something insanely ambitious. Feels like there hasn't been a true tour de force PC exclusive since Crysis back in 2007.

The message you are sending is that PC gamers don't really care about quality, being scammed, or a finished product. If you want to support PC gaming better, support some of the other PC Exclusives.

"No one at Origin had much time to bask in the rapturous reception accorded to Wingleader at the 1990 Summer Consumer Electronics Show. Their end-of-September deadline for shipping the game was now barely three months away, and there remained a daunting amount of work to be done.

At the beginning of July, executive producer Dallas Snell called the troops together to tell them that crunch time was beginning in earnest; everyone would need to work at least 55 hours per week from now on. Most of the people on the project only smiled bemusedly at the alleged news flash. They were already working those kinds of hours, and knew all too well that a 55-hour work week would probably seem like a part-timer's schedule before all was said and done.

At the beginning of August, Snell unceremoniously booted Chris Roberts, the project's founder, from his role as co-producer, leaving him with only the title of director. Manifesting a tendency anyone familiar with his more recent projects will immediately recognize, Roberts had been causing chaos on the team by approving seemingly every suggested addition or enhancement that crossed his desk. Snell, the brutal pragmatist in this company full of dreamers, appointed himself as Warren Spector's new co-producer. His first action was to place a freeze on new features in favor of getting the game that currently existed finished and out the door."

I feel like this should be thread marked.

You've got me, very clever internet person. I'm sure you're very concerned about crunch though, so keep up your good fight.

Well, apparently you don't, since it was reported that CIG also indulged in crunch.