• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
This discussion gained lots of attention in r/Games - currently trending 1st in main and thread kinda on fire - just wanted to bring it to Era, as well:

Words as of the original user "spik'" (can check in the link if anything):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...shes_gaming_site_network_to_publish/?sort=new

TL;DR: Square Enix dictates that only one grade should be used across multiple outlets in an european gaming site network

Longer read: So, Square has made some sort of deal with the danish leadership of Gamereactor, a gaming site network with more than ten different outlets all over Europe, including the nordics, Germany and Italy. The deal states that the same review and grade (written by the norwegian site) will be used on all sites.

The information comes from the swedish editor-in-chiefs blog, translated below.

"We ... Yes ... There will be no Swedish review of Square Enix's Avengers license game, this despite Henke playing it to curse and knowing what he thinks of it. Square wants to see a "pan-European" rating, which we have never agreed to before, but apparently have agreed to arrange this time. So, so it will be. The same grade everywhere and it is a Norwegian text that I will translate into Swedish on Monday. Henke will kindly write another opinion and share his opinions, anyway, but now you know why we do not have a text today and why it will not be Swedish when it comes."

Source:

User "scrndude" explains in detail:

Gamereactor has a network of different language sites of the same publishing outlet, the way that Eurogamer has Eurogamer.net, the UK version, as its primary site, but also other language versions with different staff who write different reviews (Eurogamer.cz, Eurogamer.de, Eurogamer.dk, Eurogamer.es, Eurogamer.it, etc.).

(anecdotally, Eurogamer.it seems to be the non-english one that seems to show up on Metacritic the most often, not sure the reason for that other than they may be the oldest)

Game publishers can choose who they send early review copies to. Because websites want to have a review ready to go for release day because that's when most people will be looking for reviews and the websites will get the most traffic (which means a big opportunity for eyeballs/clicks for advertisements, which means it's a big chance for them to make much more money than they do on a typical day), they're motivated to agree to embargo contracts that the publishers ask for. Game outlets with big financing behind them (Like Giantbomb who had a solid subscription base funding them while they were independent, and how has CBS's money funding them. Or Waypoint, who is funded by Vice and has staff that fights for editorial independence from the business branch.) or a solid business foundation are able to have leverage to negotiate embargoes, or to decline to agree to any embargo language requirements that are atypical or unethical (example: outlets will usually agree to avoid mentioning story elements past X part of the game, or avoid mentioning other specific story elements at the request of the publisher. Outlets typically will not agree to avoid mentioning negative things about the experience).

It seems in this case, one of the higher-ups at gamereactor made an embargo agreement with Squeenix that either their Norway outlet's review score would be the same score for all of their outlets, or that the highest-rated review score of any outlet would be the score for all the outlets and that happened to be the Norwegian outlet's score.

Even if the EIC resigned over this, it wouldn't change the fact that the site has to fulfill the embargo contract of the Nordic review being Gamereactor's "official" score. I'm assuming there will be lots of angry phone calls from the editorial team to the business department saying don't do this behind their back ever again.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I dont wanna know how many pubs wanna do this. That being said I dont see how Square did this because of the "poor" reception? Is that being mentioned anywhere? Am I missing it?

Edit: after reading over it I think that title kinda misrepresents what happens here as this deal likely wasnt made after reviews already hit but before, only that no one from the business department told anyone about it

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That's odd cause I believe there was no embargo of any kind from what I saw of U.S press.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Is it Square or is it Koch Media? Koch Media is handling the EU distribution AFAIK.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Why would the site agree to it? It would not be acceptable for them to accept anything from SE in exchange for this agreement.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The games score keeps dropping on metacritic and opencritic, prob end up in the 60s soon. Shame really I did enjoy the campaign but could have been such a better game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, blog seems to be gone now. Guess I'll check archive.org

It seems in this case, one of the higher-ups at gamereactor made an embargo agreement with Squeenix that either their Norway outlet's review score would be the same score for all of their outlets, or that the highest-rated review score of any outlet would be the score for all the outlets and that happened to be the Norwegian outlet's score.
Man, this seems like a really dumb idea. Like wouldn't people notice?
I think it would make more sense if they copy/pasted the entire review and kept the original author's name on it (as it seems to be happening, weird it's in another language and will just be translated lol), but even then why even have separate reviews for each site?

If it's just the score that's being "unified" that's pretty shitty. Actually I guess the entire thing's shitty, lol.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's a bizarre request and a bit shady, sure, but theoretically, couldn't an outlet give it like a 2/10 and the rest of the affiliated outlets would fall in line and give it a 2/10 too? This isn't really a way to skirt negative review scores, especially since there's no clause encouraging a high score.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Even if Square is not involved in this it's still so shady to do this

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Publishers and Developers being part of the Review process is a problem, regardless of intent. I get that things get muddied when early access is granted or other such benefits which lets them dictate a bit more (ie: Embargo of specific features) but this just straight up sounds like them getting involved where they shouldn't even if it isn't to try to sway things to their advantage

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If SE even attempted to make some sort of "deal" regarding the review - no matter what the score is, and no matter what the parameters of the deal even were - that is gross, and both sides should be embarrassed.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Is Square Enix ever happy about how their games sell?

Feels like every game that comes out (even those that review and sell pretty well) they always come out and say "the game sold below our expectations."

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the world of game reviews from "trusted" publications, especially when it comes to AAA games

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
That's odd cause I believe there was no embargo of any kind from what I saw of U.S press.
That's because there wasn't. When my outlet got access to the game, there was nothing mentioned regarding how to handle our review. Adding to that, we didn't get access to play the game as we had to wait for the servers to go live on September 1st, so we got to play the same time that Deluxe Editions did. Adding, Square Enix didn't give us any crap about delaying our review as I refused to have my outlet rush through the game just to get an early review out.

Interestingly enough, that gamereactor link is now gone. Can anyone that read this tell me what it said?

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
This is wrong. I feel sorry for the reviewers who work at these sites. They have been told that thier individual opinions don't matter.

These outlets are valuable because they provide content to more localized readers in their own languages without using automatic translation methods. Their existance shows that localized content is important. (I sometimes wish we had more medium sized game sites that focused on regional content in America. I would love to keep a focus on the midwest.)

I love reading reviews. The problem is that publishers don't read reviews. They only care about a number that is aggrigated. This has always been the curse of reviews.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'd be more concerned with how the game looks bad. Microsoft secured the greatest exclusive of all. Distance.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Is Square Enix ever happy about how their games sell?

Feels like every game that comes out (even those that review and sell pretty well) they always come out and say "the game sold below our expectations."
They mention Trials of Mana did way better they were expecting, but you got a point.

It seems like this mainly seems to be the case only when it comes to their western developed games, pretty much any time sales of one of the JP developed games comes up it's pretty much always in a positive light (FFXV/KH3/FF7R/ToM).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like this mainly seems to be the case only when it comes to their western developed games, pretty much any time sales of one of the JP developed games comes up it's pretty much always in a positive light (FFXV/KH3/FF7R/ToM).
That is more true usually. I was remembering Tomb Raider and Hitman being specifically mentioned as being below expectations.

Although I though FFVII ended up being a little weaker than they wanted too, but maybe that was just initial sales.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That is more true usually. I was remembering Tomb Raider and Hitman being specifically mentioned as being below expectations.

Although I though FFVII ended up being a little weaker than they wanted too, but maybe that was just initial sales.
7r will get a much needed boost once exclusivity is over next year. With two different sku's most likely (Xbox and PC) and who knows if they'll patch something in time for the ps5 release.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
7r will get a much needed boost once exclusivity is over next year. With two different sku's most likely (Xbox and PC) and who knows if they'll patch something in time for the ps5 release.
Yup, I've been waiting for a PC port personally, or if they do a PS5 improved version before then I may get that version.

Oct 28, 2017
Money over integrity. I hope Gamereactor gets raked over the coals for doing this or this practice becomes the new normal for publishers to persue. You know they can't help themselves if they see a chance to fuck their customers over. Like moths to a lamp.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Publishers are gonna do what they gotta do to get what they feel they deserve but agreeing to their demands is on the network. It's an overstep and by going along with it, they lose all credibility.