• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sarcasm aside, is BD8 an actual studio ? It seems every entry they've made (mostly mobile) were outsourced to another studio. They also have Romancing SaGa 3 remaster lined up for PS4 and Switch.

I wouldn't be excited for this though, they also made FF6 remaster and Secret of Mana remake.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize they have inhouse development in that division now.

I suspect it's a Brave Exvius spin-off.

Edit:

Oh, they do Mana too, right. It's probably that.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Did they do the Seiken Densetsu collection? They should localise SD3 and release that internationally.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is nice to hear, they don't have enough action RPG in their repertoire.
The Baba headed team is presumably making an ARPG (I assume this isn't recruitment for that). Looking at what BD 8 is responsible for, and keeping in mind that BD 9 was folded into them last year...

TNC3MRM.jpg

They could be working on Tokita's Switch project, since they're the division responsible for FF Dimensions 2.

It would be super nice if this was an original project by Matrix Software. While they're responsible for the crummy mobile ports of FF games, back during the DS era they were the ones who did FF3, FF4, Nostalgia, Four Heroes of Light and Avalon Code, along with the PS2 version of DQ5.

They also did Alundra back on PS1.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see what it could be but nothing from the division interested me in their past releases but we'll see

This is nice to hear, they don't have enough action RPG in their repertoire.

Well, they also don't have enough turn-based rpg but here we are with Octopath Traveller. XD

Sarcasm aside, is BD8 an actual studio ? It seems every entry they've made (mostly mobile) were outsourced to another studio. They also have Romancing SaGa 3 remaster lined up for PS4 and Switch.

I wouldn't be excited for this though, they also made FF6 remaster and Secret of Mana remake.

It's not a studio in our normal sense but one of the parts of their internal division of development like Nintendo EPD, Capcom or Sega internal divisions.

And pretty much all groups of Square do external development too but those happens with their guidelines either way from the producers and such.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The Baba headed team is presumably making an ARPG (I assume this isn't recruitment for that). Looking at what BD 8 is responsible for, and keeping in mind that BD 9 was folded into them last year...

TNC3MRM.jpg

They could be working on Tokita's Switch project, since they're the division responsible for FF Dimensions 2.

It would be super nice if this was an original project by Matrix Software. While they're responsible for the crummy mobile ports of FF games, back during the DS era they were the ones who did FF3, FF4, Nostalgia and Avalon Code, along with the PS2 version of DQ5.

I thought Tokita handled BD7 but apparently not anymore.

It's probably Tokita's project. Maybe a Parasite Eve or Musashi revival if it's not a new IP ?

Deleted member 31277

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's my fault guys!
I wrote in the recent SQUEX Survey that they should definitely bring an AA Mana game on the Switch.

:D

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be super nice if this was an original project by Matrix Software. While they're responsible for the crummy mobile ports of FF games, back during the DS era they were the ones who did FF3, FF4, Nostalgia, Four Heroes of Light and Avalon Code, along with the PS2 version of DQ5.

They also did Alundra back on PS1.
Matrix. Sigh...

Omega_Labyrinth_boxart.png

Just why.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, pulling devs away from mobile.

BD8 wasn't a development division until now with this new information so all those mobile games were made by BD8 producing, not developing since they leave that to external developers. Either way, they'll still do that since they need to update their mobile games and will make new ones in the future.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must have missed this. Do we have any further information or a source? I maintain a spreadsheet for Square Enix's corporate structure, so it would be nice to have it updated with current info.

His source is this site:
https://squarebd1.wordpress.com/all-of-square-enixs-business-divisions-detailed/

It's said there: "In April 2017 Business Division 9 was folded into Business Division 8 while Business Divisions 11 and 12 merged to become the new Business Division 9."

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I must have missed this. Do we have any further information or a source? I maintain a spreadsheet for Square Enix's corporate structure, so it would be nice to have it updated with current info.
I can't find a primary source, just a bunch of pages that mention them merging 9 into 8 in April, 2017, along with 11 and 12 becoming the new 9 :/

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Finally Square somewhat supporting the Switch instead of developing paid exclusives. Hopefully they localize that themselves instead of forcing Nintendo paying the bill like they always do.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are they the ones that did the recent Secret of Mana remake? If so, seiken 3 next please

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find a primary source, just a bunch of pages that mention them merging 9 into 8 in April, 2017, along with 11 and 12 becoming the new 9 :/

His source is this site:
https://squarebd1.wordpress.com/all-of-square-enixs-business-divisions-detailed/

It's said there: "In April 2017 Business Division 9 was folded into Business Division 8 while Business Divisions 11 and 12 merged to become the new Business Division 9."

Hmm... I'll see if I can dig anything up through their Japanese IR site. I'd like an official source before I go making changes in my sheet. Thanks!

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully SE learns from their mediocre SoM remake and can put out something worthy of the Mana name.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Seiken Densetsu 3 remake. Hope the art style is better this time around

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure it's gonna be a Seiken 3 remake. I thought the other remake was pretty good, though online co-op would be a rad addition, I seriously doubt that'll happen. I do hope they pick people who aren't terrible at arranging music this time, because FUCK was Secret of Mana Remake's arranged music bad.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be my guess as well given their history. Which unfortunately is probably how we'd finally get an English localization.
last time they mentioned it, they said they'd try to get the Mana collection over. don't know how that would even work given SD3

Hopefully sword of mana remake
unfortunately, Adventure of Mana exists. best we can hope for is a port of the game onto the switch (or a gameboy classic)