• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
However, the lack of information we've received and the time between announcements is starting to suggest that things aren't all going rosy. Now, there are reports that the Final Fantasy 7 Remake development has been troubled. Maybe even involving a complete abandonment of all work at one point.

The issues with Final Fantasy 7 Remake's development are apparently due to Square Enix abandoning all work completed by CyberConnect 2 and restarting from scratch.

Tsuka also claims that CyberConnect 2's work on Final Fantasy 7 Remake was "unusable."

When has a company taking work away from another company ever been a positive sign of things? I know CyberConnect's work was unusable, I've worked with them before, i know their level.

And I know they outsourced to hell and back in order to get things to the point we saw them publicly, and it still wasn't enough to save them.

When questioned about his knowledge of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake development cycle and whether he was simply speculating, Tsuka said;

I'm not speculating though. I've worked with these people and know people working still at both Square and CC2, I'm explaining what happened from what I know.

https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/26/final-fantasy-7-remake-development-delays/

Feb 22, 2018
/sigh

sounds like this is gonna be a PS5 game at this point. Square-enix at least has managed to put out some games this generation, but they're still fucked when it comes to managing the FF series.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
So 2019 -2020 at the absolute earliest, realistically. And I'm uncertain just how realistic that actually is

Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, I think most assumed this is what happened when development went in-house to SE. FFVIIR is going to be another near decade long debacle for SE.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Would not be surprised if this never came out. That's now what my expectations are and I'll be pleasantly surprised if that actually changes. Sony shouldn't have shown this at a press conference.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have announced this game so early. Now the game won't meet peoples' expectations considering they're taking way too long making this game.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already tired of hearing about the FF7 remake and it's not even out yet.

final-fantasy-vii-screenshot-42-barret-train.jpg

They shouldn't have announced this game so early. Now the game won't meet peoples' expectations considering they're taking way too long making this game.

Between nostalgia and the radical changes in structure and combat that they announced from the get-go, this was never going to happen.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Would not be surprised if this never came out. That's now what my expectations are and I'll be pleasantly surprised if that actually changes. Sony shouldn't have shown this at a press conference.
It's coming. Did square abandon ff14?

No. They apologized and rebirthed it.

Did they abandon versus 13? No. They changed leadership and rushed it out the door and patched it up afterwards and pushed it heavily with a ton of cross marketing promotions.

7 is coming and it will be out before GRRM finishes Game of Thrones.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I have zero nostalgia for this game, meaning I'm just patiently waiting for the remake instead of spending every waking second hating on it like half of y'all seem to do, christ almighty

That dude was right: ERA really does hate this series more than anything in the world

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
"We like to announce that we decided on which office chairs we'll be sitting on during the development of Final Fantasy 7 Remake! Please be excited.
"Please stayed tuned when we announce the countdown of when we'll announce the date of when we'll start making the game in a month from now."

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's really just pathetic, I mean like "dictionary definition" pathetic - sad, inadequate, etc.

This is easily one of their most (if not the most) anticipated releases, with the highest potential, and they can't even decide who the hell is going to work on it, let alone what the final product will even vaguely look like. On top of that, it's a remake -- meaning that huge amounts of foundational work are done in terms of story, characters, art direction, and general event planning. By no means am I saying it's easy to just remake one of the most beloved games in history, but Jesus Christ, it shouldn't be causing this many problems - much more ambitious projects have come and gone through other studios in the time they've spent announcing and teasing this thing.

The whole Japanese end of SE just seems so chronically mismanaged and fraught with identity and direction issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.