• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix Ltd., today announced its massive line-up of games and activities making their way to gamescom in Cologne, Germany later this month. From the 20th - 24thAugust in Hall 9, visitors can dive in and enjoy playable demos for Marvel's Avengers and FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the critically acclaimed FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online, Trials of Mana™, as well as a playable demo for KINGDOM HEARTS III as seen in the release of the game earlier this year.

In a worldwide first, fans at Gamescom 2019 will play a hands-on demo for MARVEL'S AVENGERS ! Gamers at the Square Enix booth will battle as Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor experiencing the preliminary incident of this original Avengers story, launching on the 15th May 2020simultaneously for thePlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, Stadia, and PC.

For the first time in Europe, visitors will experience the highly anticipated FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, with a hands-on demo showcasing the reimagining of the iconic original game that re-defined the RPG genre. Across 72 stations, show attendees will get their first look at the game before its release for the PlayStation®4 system on 3rd March 2020.

Trials of Mana, the latest title in the revered Mana series and full remake of the RPG classic, will make its global debut at the show with a brand-new playable demo. Entirely rebuilt and revamped with action-RPG battle, levelling and skill systems as well as modern 3D graphics, attendees can check out an early section of the game, playing as just some of the memorable characters that the full game will offer when it launches in early 2020.

Critically-acclaimed MMORPG FINAL FANTASY XIV Online returns to gamescom, with a booth powered by Acer® latest Predator™ gaming hardware to maximise everyone's gaming experience. Intense challenges, great prizes and an exclusive programme of stage shows with the makers of the game including Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida, and Main Scenario Writer and World Lore Creator Banri Oda will be taking place throughout the week, all culminating in a big cosplay competition on Friday 23rdAugust. Finally, the largest FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Fan Gathering to ever take place in Germany is set to shake Cologne on the evening of Friday 23rd August. More information on how to attend can be found here: https://sqex.to/F79nx

The SQUARE ENIX booth will also offer a sneak peek at merchandise prototypes for the upcoming FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, as well as an open demo space for visitors to try out the latest SQUARE ENIX PRODUCTS board games.

Life is Strange™ 2: Episode 4 'Faith' debuts at gamescom 2019. Experience the trailer for the riveting next chapter in the Diaz brothers' journey towards a new life in Mexico, as the story reaches its most thrilling and complex entry yet. The second season of the award-winning franchise from SQUARE ENIX External Studios and the Life is Strange team at DONTNOD Entertainment, continues on August 22nd, 2019.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
damn, avengers went from behind closed doors only to playable public demo in 2 months time lol

I figure it'll be the same demo on the bridge from the beginning of the game. still looking forward to it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Avengers playable? Well that's my first stop when the fair opens on tuesday. That sure will be one with a long ass line even on the press/trade day.

Or maybe FF7R ... that will be long too.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite the characters faces, I think I am going to be quite pleased with the Avengers demo/game. Also can't wait to see what the story is because in game format they can cover more extreme un-earthly experiences from comics, if they wish to, which MCU is ramping up to.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Quite surprised they have Avengers as being publicly playable. I hope that shows confidence in the product (and also that is a different portion of the game rather than that tutorial, but I really doubt it). I'm still wary about quite a few things: weird faces aside, I'm not incredibly confident in the combat and, by default, I don't like the whole GaaS route this is going, but it apparently is a different take than, say, Destiny or Anthem, so it could be interesting. Here's hoping.

I'm assuming they will make VII-R demos as being unrecordable this time around too. You couldn't show footage of them at E3 or HKGF event either.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

I couldn't care less for yet another trailer for that remake. I just wanted to note that GamesCom, from my memory, is bigger than E³ and TGS in both numbers of exhibitors and visitors.

If you talk about importance, that might be another thing. Yet there's still fucking Geoff Keighley doing a live show with nearly all big pubs present.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was meaning in importance. Not fucking attendants.

Gamescom has always gotten new announcements, reveals, trailers and demos. For example, most of the From games since BB had their first gameplay reveal and demo there. Suffice to say, it's next to E3 in terms of coverage and news.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
From behind the doors to playable demo? Kinda quick change of pace.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If they have Demos playable at Gamescom then there is at least a hope we might be getting those demos on the Store before the end of the year.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Gamescom has always gotten new announcements, reveals, trailers and demos. For example, most of the From games since BB had their first gameplay reveal and demo there. Suffice to say, it's next to E3 in terms of coverage and news.

More than E3 and TGS? You can have that, that ain't even what I am mad at.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
The line is going to be horrendous for the Remake demo. Dark Souls 3 was 4 hours long when it was there.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
72 stations for the demo is great to try and speed things up but it'll still be hell.

On the public days, expect that those two games will certainly have 4 hours lines. If SQEX is smart they close them at that or a lower threshold. If not ... well i've seen line with 5+ hours, and those would be the next ones then.

I don't want to imagine those line on saturday.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
On the public days, expect that those two games will certainly have 4 hours lines. If SQEX is smart they close them at that or a lower threshold. If not ... well i've seen line with 5+ hours, and those would be the next ones then.

I don't want to imagine those line on saturday.
Kh3 was a 2-3 hour wait with 24 stations at E3 last year, and after how disastrous that was with the wait + abusive staff they introduced a ticket system that sold out within three minutes of the doors opening.

I'm optimistic about 72 game demo stations alleviate some waiting time but not optimistic enough to believe that it'll actually fix the issue.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
72 demo stations mean surely someone will sneak photos/videos even if they don't allow it lol.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Kh3 was a 2-3 hour wait with 24 stations at E3 last year, and after how disastrous that was with the wait + abusive staff they introduced a ticket system that sold out within three minutes of the doors opening.

I'm optimistic about 72 game demo stations alleviate some waiting time but not optimistic enough to believe that it'll actually fix the issue.

Nothing will ever beat the 8 stations DMC 5 got in the Microsoft booth last year, that was an absolutely amazing shitshow.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Depends on how long they allow visitors to play the demos, if those don't have a built-in timer. Still, if you have hundreds of people rushing to one certain booth, there's no amount of demo stations and no short enough demo to not have the line grow into hours in mere minutes.

72 demo stations mean surely someone will sneak photos/videos even if they don't allow it lol.

I think there has been situations where you had to hand over your phone/camera when entering a booth, though iirc these were for much smaller booths with fewer demo stations.

But i wouldn't put it past SQEX to do that.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully someone records the FFVII demo and posts it online.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both playable? Wow, can't wait for impressions. Not impressed with either at this point.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Avengers playable? Well that's my first stop when the fair opens on tuesday. That sure will be one with a long ass line even on the press/trade day.

Or maybe FF7R ... that will be long too.
Short rant that even on the press/trade day there are already too many people :( At least it was the case two years ago.

Jan 20, 2019
I anticipate that we will definitely see some leaked footage of the FFVIIR demo that we aren't supposed to see.

But, Square Enix will probably be showing more gameplay/new trailer alongside anyways, right? And I assume there will be a good amount of press coverage as well!