• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Would be cool if we eventually got physical releases of most of the mainline games over here.

I think that especially after Dragon Quest XI there will be a lot more demand for these games than Square Enix expects. I hope they come to as many platforms as possible too! I have been especially hopeful that the majority of the mainline titles would eventually hit Steam.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God have mercy on them if they look like the asstacular PS4 versions that were released in Japan.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take the PS4 version over the mobile one any day. Tried playing DQ1 on mobile and it hurt my eyes. Hated the translation too and the touch controls.

Ideally I'd take a remake with DQXI 2D visuals... That would be the dream.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
When and how they are released matters - many of them only happened because Nintendo published them.

Outside of DQV and VI. I didn't know I had to break this down to you. We had DQ games here. I mean they were called Dragon Warrior but it was the same games. Barely anyone like RPGs back then. BARELY.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
After SEGA Ages Phantasy Star I doubt I could go back to barebones obtuse and grindy-as-fuck 8-bit-era RPGs. Square, give M2 a call!

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we get a definitive version of Dragon Quest VIII eventually. Basically, all the QOL from the 3DS version and the orchestral soundtrack with HD graphics.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
there are SE remasters that have some issues, but these games have no version that doesn't either have missing features and content, or look bad.

There are parts of nearly every port post PSP that look kind of bad, from the iOS ports of FFV and FFVI, to the world map in FFVIII. VIII is kind of a special case and it appears that they took the wrong approach to the title (which should have been filtered emulation). In 15 years its probably these subpar ports that will live on, while PS Archives exists only on increasingly older consoles.

It's pretty fucking depressing. I would have bought DQIII for the PS4 when it came out had it been a faithful port of the SFC version. Like, how hard could that be? I guess S-E probably believes the mobile versions are superior to the originals.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
After SEGA Ages Phantasy Star I doubt I could go back to barebones obtuse and grindy-as-fuck 8-bit-era RPGs. Square, give M2 a call!
This right here.

I recently finished Dragon Quest 1 and 2 and had a misirable experience, DQ2 especially. Phantasy Star on the other hand is now my favorite 8bit JRPG because of the improvements M2 added.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Seems odd if it's already done they don't just put it on the all eshops. Still great news but I want to support the correct region so it doesn't look like it's just Asia buying Dragon Quest.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I looked at the ps4 port and it certainly looks fine to me. Ideal? No but certainly the best way to officially play these games. If you'd rather emulate the snes games at least buy these versions to show support for the IP

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone take a good look at the PS4 versions of the 1-3? First impressions tell me that they're nicer looking full screen versions of the mobile ports.

Don't know if 3 has the missing T'nT minigame the mobile version excised but they all use Toriyama's illustrations for the enemy art. A YMMV change up to the classic sprites.

I think the Switch version will be based on these ports.

I'm happy that these are coming to the west, but I'm gonna pass.

I vastly prefer the SNES version of DQ3, it's way more beautiful.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
This right here.

I recently finished Dragon Quest 1 and 2 and had a misirable experience, DQ2 especially. Phantasy Star on the other hand is now my favorite 8bit JRPG because of the improvements M2 added.

What is good with gamers shitting on 3rd gen console JRPGs? That was the Genesis of what you guys starting to get into.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I played DQ3 on GBC. I remember that being the better version. I wonder what we'll see on Switch. Will it be the SFC version, or have the later additions?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
YES! Is a shame that these are not the best versions of those games but is still more DQ that I can have on my Switch which is always a good thing in my book.

Hope this is released physically as well.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I played DQ I and II on mobile and didn't mind them at all, but seeing the monster animations on the snes version of DQ III kinda makes me want to track down a cart

Is it same situation for the other mobile ports too (aka what is the best platform from DQIV and onwards)? IIRC one of them is actually a nice port from DS but i'm not sure

Red

Oct 26, 2017
looks like crappy mobile versions

So awful sprites, no ice cave from GBC, no monster animations from SFC, no Pachisi

That sucks. Man, why are mobile ports so often middling? It's not like the hardware can't handle better. I've been meaning to replay DQ3 for ages, too. I still have my cart, but have no GBC compatible hardware. Guess the search continues.

May 10, 2019
The mobile versions of 1-3 were visually just fine, plus 1 and 2 had the XP rate fixed to make the game pace much better (like the SNES/GBC versions)

What was a pain in the ass was not being able to press buttons and not even being able to use a peripheral controller.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Let's hope the other Dragon Quest games on 3DS follow suit. Older Final Fantasy games, too. I see them releasing their legacy titles rather individually than on NSO.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The 27th too! wow that's soon. This retroactively made the direct even better imo

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Those mobile versions look like straight ass.

In Japan when they've been treating the series right and its just another version of games that have been released millions of times that's fine whatever.

But you fuck up the series for years with no faith in it and horrible marketing or none at all, and then you release shit tier mobile ports, as the first real offering of a return to the classic series (since gameboy) at that point Square Enix can fuck right off.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's cool. Are these games even any good? I think I had DQ1 (Dragon Warrior?) as a small child and hated it, but didn't give it much of a chance.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Hopefully this is part of a push all of DQ on Switch, because I really appreciate the look of DQ8 and I've been hoping to make that my first.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
they don't look too good and have weird pixels
Odd, I didn't feel this way with my time playing them. I absolutely destroyed these games on mobile and it's my preferred way to play them since I can just use one hand :). I plowed through each one during my commute to work. Was a lovely time.

Happy it's coming to switch. Doubt I'll pick them up.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why SE needs to shit on all of their ports of retro games. The games are perfect as is, why do they have to step in and make them look like ass?

80% of the people that would buy one of these ports are used to retro games and probably prefer the pixilated look instead of those ugly ass airbrush sprites.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally just screamed out loud.

ahhhhh

People shitting in the mobile ports are nuts. They are definitive. Only downside is the controls, which the Switch versions will obviously fix.