• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with the mobile versions was that there were pixel scaling issues with the first two, and III was lacking battle animations. Other than that I thought they were surprisingly faithful retro remakes for the platform.

This Switch versions basically look as bad as the FFV and VI mobile ports.

Why SE would bother to "clean up" sprites is beyond me, given the widespread appeal of retro-style games in the indie space. It's killing most of the appeal.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what matters to you. For me, the DQ1 sprite scaling on mobile looked so bad I stopped playing it. And the screenshots of the Switch version look 10x worse. If you look at those images and are fine with it you will probably have a good time.

Guess you have a point about them going a step further than the mobile ports and the Switch versions looking worse than those. I don't really understand why they had to do that, but I do think convenience helps make the decision a lot easier for many people.

I guess I see little reason to get these games on Switch over my phone, but I guess with Switch you don't have to worry about them not running when you upgrade your phone OS every year.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because it's a digital only release?

Stuff like Oninaki is, at least going by the game's listing in the Nintendo web store, published by them. So is iirc the Mana Collection. The latter one does have a retail release, though it's said to be a limited one.

Other DQ games on Switch so far were all retail + digital.
yeah they do release games on switch, even physically (FF10 and 12, collection of mana, tokyo RPG cemetary games, etc), it was just DQ where it looked like they just give up and let nintendo handle it. but i guess this being digital they see no reason to not do it themselves.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
How long are these games ? And I'm guessing 3 is the only one you have to play right

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because it's a digital only release?

Stuff like Oninaki is, at least going by the game's listing in the Nintendo web store, published by them. So is iirc the Mana Collection. The latter one does have a retail release, though it's said to be a limited one.

Other DQ games on Switch so far were all retail + digital.

Yea, most likely digital only. Unless they wanna release a bundle of all three in their SE store.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Based on those screenshots the character sprites in DQ3 look slightly better than 1 and 2. Still going to be missing the enemy animations though.

Is there a company worse at exploiting their back catalog of legendary games than Square-Enix?

They're either buggy, have "improvements" nobody asked for, or (usually) both.

Oddly enough, it's usually just like this for FF and DQ. We've seen amazing remakes for the Mana and SaGa series lately, and they apparently fixed the issues with Chrono Trigger's Steam release. Why they mistreat their flagships and do well with the smaller series is beyond me.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, the DQ trilogy on Switch looks like that time I tried to convert Final Fantasy 4 sprites to RPG Maker 95.

It's embarrassing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well they are evil for me. They look bigger on Switch's big screen and gives me headache after an hour of gameplay. Smaller and smoother they are, easier to my eyes.
Options are fine. It becomes frustrating when one of the options becomes the default, and only option. And the other is literally "just do nothing, and I'll be happy", and yet they often don't include it.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
How long are these games ? And I'm guessing 3 is the only one you have to play right
DQ3 really benefits from being familiar with the first two games. It's considered to be a trilogy of sorts for a reason.

I'd recommend playing DQ1 too. It's really short (easily beatable in less than 10 hours) and an almost refreshing experience in just how simple it is. It's also interesting to see how much of the RPG groundwork was laid with this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think using OG Toriyama monster art for the jump to HD systems is a pretty good idea.

I'm not as down on S-Es mobile versions. The only "please dont'" are Chrono Trigger and Romancing SaGa 2 (soon to be 3, as well). Giant low-res pixels have an artistry to them, but it can be hard to appreciate for audiences that didn't grow up in that era.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I was originally very excited about this and really want to support DQ in the West as much as I can but after seeing the hideous redrawn graphics in the Switch versions I don't think I'll be buying these unless there is an option or an update that lets you toggle to proper looking sprites. Otherwise I'm just going to stick with my GBC copies of 1, 2 and 3 and the Super Famicom remakes on my SNES Classic.

Last edited: