• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix said:
Q: It seems sales of "DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY NT" are currently below target, but will you be able to make a profit on the title?

A: Initial sales have not reached the level we had first expected, but since this is a game geared toward multiplayer gaming experience, post-launch initiatives are key. We expect that repeat sales will grow by our hosting events and other initiatives going forward.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q3outline.pdf

Meanwhile, Dissidia mobile has managed to remain in Square Enix's list of successful mobile games, for those curious about that:

mobiledissidiat4ssr.png

Nov 23, 2017
This isn't a surprise to me. The marketing for Dissidia NT could be better and the word of mouth wasn't that great. I played it on and off and it just doesn't hook me. I'm really disappointed in the story mode.

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised feel like it just came and went. What's wrong with it for fans of the series tho? Anybody know did they change something

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I've put like 3x as much time into the mobile game than into NT. It's a top-tier mobile game, and for franchise fans its a given.

NT released in a competitive timeframe and had lukewarm hype due to the fundamental changes to the Dissidia formula. The fact that it came out the gate below expectations doesn't surprise me.

Not surprised feel like it just came and went. What's wrong with it for fans of the series tho? Anybody know did they change something
The new emphasis on 3x3 combat is divisive. Also the story mode is pretty barebones compared to the earlier entries.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't release it right next to Dragon Ball FighterZ and a big Street Fighter update. Game was buried.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Gee, I wonder why.

Maybe Opera Omnia should've been a full fledged console release.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I personally got bored very quickly of both of them, but I am in no way surprised the mobile game is doing well and the regular game is not. The mobile game is at least a good game, it's just super repetitive.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprising considering the timing of its release, rather poor / disjointed story mode (a growing necessity for consoles), and a lack of anything substantial for existing console Dissidia fans to gravitate toward. They have some work cut out for them and the story mode should be their first goal. There needs to be some initiative to keep playing.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Their focus on "post-launch initiatives" is pretty laughable considering the things currently missing (move lists) are nowhere to be seen, and the only meaningful thing they're adding is a tiny stage at the end of March. We also still have no idea who the DLC characters are. Their strategy thus far is to keep players in the dark and launch surprise patches, apparently.

SP content was weak right?

Heard that the storyline mode is just cutscenes :/

No, some nodes have standard battles attached to them and some have Summon battles attached, which are janky but different. Progressing in SP unlocks certain offline gauntlet modes and battles, and progressing there boosts your (extra stupid) CPU partner AI and stats for story mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Square. You finally made the console Dissidia I wanted since the PSP one was announced... Only to rip out all of the single player and RPG elements that made me love the game.

Don't worry though, I'll pick it up when it's down to a fitting price of $20.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not too surprising. The game wasn't marketed very well and it was a step down from the previous entries in terms of single player content. Even with the sparse amount of SP content they did have like the Story Mode it is gated behind leveling up making it a grind just to experience it. Personally I enjoy the core game so I can see them improving it with more content down the road.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
As a huge fan of the PSP Dissidia games i was really turned off by Dissidia NT

Everything great about PSP Dissidia's isn't too present in Dissidia NT

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Releasing the same week as dbfz and mhw also meant nobody was talking about it at launch either

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Main reasons I didn't pick it up.

1) Monster Hunter and Dragonball Z came out near it and I ended up getting both of those over Dissidia.
2) Focus on 3 vs 3 online play was a mistake. Beta made me wish it was just 1 on 1.
3) Seemingly completely gimped the story and RPG elements which is why I enjoyed the PSP games. I put over a hundred hours just leveling up and grinding characters in that game.
4) Didn't seem to play as well as the PSP games either.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Still mean to go back to Dissidia but yeah sadly not surprised.
Competed with MH World and DB FighterZ at the time which quite dominated and in terms of the game itself, feel it would have been much better not forcing people into MP to enjoy the story, even the gameplay didn't fully grab me, which is a bit strange as the first 2 PSP ones really did.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watch Square learn the wrong lessons from this. There going to be like console multiplayer isnt where its at and focus more on mobile titles when we really just want a dissidia with a fleshed out single player and local play.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not surprised.

Very unapproachable game to new comers, bad single player content, and came out within a week of Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
As someone who loves the PSP games and considers them some of my favorite games ever. I skipped the initial release because of the focus on competitive 3v3 and barebones single player.

I'm sure most competitive players are jumping onto Dragonball, leaving Dissidia NT to have a pretty small appeal.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Watch Square learn the wrong lessons from this. There going to be like console multiplayer isnt where its at and focus more on mobile titles when we really just want a dissidia with a fleshed out single player and local play.
Yep all we wanted was another great game like the PSP Dissidia's on current consoles but instead they went way off

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Thats what happens when you take out all the RPG elements and game modes and try to sell it as a fighting game. People played dissidia to play as their favorite characters, level up, gain new abilities and equipment, and enjoy the tons of content the games had to offer. Doesn't help it came out when the huge time sink Monster Hunter came out and the actually great Fighting game DBF came out. Still kinda bothered by what NT is. I put hundreds of hours into the original 2 and then they put out this shit? Talk about missing the mark.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me as a fan of the other dissidia games it and not so much this one. The reason I was lukewarm on the game was because of it's shift from single player to multiplayer and how it from playing solely as one fighter (1vs1) to a team fighter (3vs3).

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
It seems that fans of the psp games hated it, hmmm, i hated the psp games and could not get to them at all, will i like it?
Can someone explain to me the story mode and how it works?

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I played 20-30h of it (NT) and I am loving it. I am trying to obtain the very hard platinum.

But yes, they should have worked more on the game. The SP content is "ok" if you play the multiplayer (you have to unlock stuff by playing it), but the 3x3 fights are really a letdown with random people. They should have done a 1x1 option at least.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that fans of the psp games hated it, hmmm, i hated the psp games and could not get to them at all, will i like it?
Can someone explain to me the story mode and how it works?

why did you hate the psp games? If it's gameplay, then this plays worse than the psp games.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad. Duodecim is like top 25 favorite games for me, but Dissidia had a lot of things that bugged me. Lacking roster additions, meager single player content, and focus on the three party system were all bummers. Almost seems crazy that this was once one of my most anticipated games on the console, but so many weird changes made it unattractive to me.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
They should've just made a game more in the vein of the previous Dissidia games. NT was just a waste. I'm very disappointed in that game.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
- Complex and confusing battle system
- No demo, beta wasn't great
- AAA retail price
- Weak story mode
- Releasing near two big Multiplayer focused games

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
People keep bashing this game for not being a RPG hybrid but the gameplay is faaaaaaar superior to the PSP titles. It's an unbelievably fun game and it could be something really special, but the online is so Fckd right now. P2P screwed this game over. While it probably won't get dedicated servers, they need to work on implementing QOL features to make the online more bearable else there's no hope that this game will have any sort of legs. The matchmaking NEEDS to be fixed or tweaked, badly...it's so frustating because when the online works this game is pure magic.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah exactly what I fear when seeing things like this. Similar feelings with KHUX. If that does really well, (which it probably does), I'd despair if their focus shifted solely to that, instead of "proper" KH games, and/or also to put elements of KHUX into console KHs, which I think I would start considering it dead at that point as KH feels like one of the few complete games that are still regularly sold.
Not entirely sure how they measure success for mobile games Though, even In dissidia mobiles case. Is it down to profit or amount of users who installed the game/active users(?) I imagine both are higher anyway as I imagine it's relatively cheap to make compared to a console game and that it's free to download.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The game isn't that great to begin with, but coming out the same week as Monster Hunter and DBZ was basically the kiss of death.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Overpriced and of subpar quality than the previous games. Not surprising at all. Game would have been more successful if it were F2P

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
All they needed to do was make Something exactly like the PSP games but for consoles and they could have reeled me, and apparently some others, in.

It makes me so mad that they took the console game in such a different direction, especially considering Duodecim is my favourite PSP game ever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Overpriced and of subpar quality than the previous games. Not surprising at all. Game would have been more successful if it were F2P

Or if they had just kitted it out like an actual game instead of expecting their paltry multiplayer offering to be enough. I will never understand devs charging $60 for a multiplayer mode alone.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Put a little over 20 hours into NT and enjoyed what I played. They need to hurry up with the post-launch content though.

Oct 31, 2017
Nah it feels like a clunky mess compared to how fast paced and fluid the psp games are at high level

This. I played Duodecim after playing the beta and it's like night and day. Duodecim feels much faster and more fluid.

Like yeah it's not balanced because you have shit like equipment and levels but tbh who cares?

The original Dissidia's main story content was a chore but I really enjoyed Duodecim's. Main story was a good length (12-15 hours), really liked the world map, and the optional content was great (although the last 2 reports were way too difficult, never finished them).

I'm really hoping they retool this and release a proper console Dissidia 2-3 years down the line.