• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this was covered elsewhere already...

This week's Famitsu has the results of the Octopath Traveler survey that they ran a month or so back, as well as a long interview with the developers. Near the end, they had this to say:

Original said:
Q0LT5rb.png

Translation said:
So, hypothetically speaking, if there were an Octopath Traveler sequel, it would be a ways out?
Producer Asano: I think so. However, we're growing our team, and I'd like it if we could put out something players could enjoy every year.

So might that mean more Bravely games in the future? There was a little secret hidden in the Octopath Traveler 1,000,000 sold illustration, after all.
Producer Asano: I asked Mr. Ikushima to put that in. We're not exactly announcing anything new about the Bravely series right this instant, but we did want to say that both as a team and as a company, the Bravely series isn't a thing of the past.

Producer Takahashi: We're very aware that there were a lot of people who found out about Octopath Traveler through the Bravely series.

Producer Asano: That said, we'd like to take 3-4 years on something the size of a Bravely or Octopath game, so with just those two we won't be able to put something out every year.

The rest of the interview makes it clear that both new IPs and an OT sequel are things they're considering.

I loved OT, so it's good to see the team rolling with its success.

Other tidbits from the survey:
  • The biggest selling point for Japanese players was the aesthetics. For foreign players, the battle system.
  • Cyrus was the most popular protagonist worldwide. #2 was Tressa in Japan and Primrose overseas.
  • The most popular stories were Olberic's in Japan and Primrose's overseas.
  • The top three favorite music tracks were "Boss Battle 2", "Main Theme", and "Battle at Journey's End."
  • Therion's Path Action was the favorite worldwide.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if this was covered elsewhere already...

This week's Famitsu has the results of the Octopath Traveler survey that they ran a month or so back, as well as a long interview with the developers. Near the end, they had this to say:

The rest of the interview makes it clear that both new IPs and an OT sequel are things they're considering.

I loved OT, so it's good to see the team rolling with its success.

Other tidbits from the survey:
  • The biggest selling point for Japanese players was the aesthetics. For foreign players, the battle system.
  • Cyrus was the most popular protagonist worldwide. #2 was Tressa in Japan and Primrose overseas.
  • The most popular stories were Olberic's in Japan and Primrose's overseas.
  • The top three favorite music tracks were "Boss Battle 2", "Main Theme", and "Battle at Journey's End."
  • Therion's Path Action was the favorite worldwide.
well duh..

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me so happy to hear that both Bravely and Octopath will be continuing and that the new entries will get adequate time and love.

We're not exactly announcing anything new about the Bravely series right this instant, but we did want to say that both as a team and as a company, the Bravely series isn't a thing of the past.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me so happy to hear that both Bravely and Octopath will be continuing and that the new entries will get adequate time and love.

To be clear, the interviews don't explicitly confirm sequels. But they all but did for Bravely and they're very clear that an Octopath sequel is under serious consideration.

Tress was #3 overseas as well. Hey, if I'd finished the game by the time the survey went out, I'd have voted for her.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
One of those games a year should be Saga Frontier 3, or something 2 inspired with watercolor sprites.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Awesome. A Square team that actually gets games out in a reasonable amount of time like Octopath is fine by me.

Oct 27, 2017
So... Bravely HD Collection for Switch at the Direct tonight? Please?

I'm being optimistic, let me have this.

Either way, great news

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Well, they did a good job at making an oblivious bore a fun character, so Cyrus' popularity makes sense (that and his encounter-lowering skill + path action + double-hitting spells make him a party staple by default.)

One of those games a year should be Saga Frontier 3, or something 2 inspired with watercolor sprites.
They said they want to focus on their own stuff, or new series in general.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Octopath is a pure gem. One of the best rpgs I have played in years.

Glad to hear its future is bright!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
New IPs would be very nice from them, especially if they keep iterating on the battle system

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, it's pretty funny - the path action results were identical across Japan and overseas.
  1. Steal
  2. Scrutinize
  3. Inquire
  4. Purchase
  5. Challenge
  6. Guide
  7. Allure
  8. Provoke

I'm glad the world realizes that Provoke is easily the worst one by far.

But yea, honestly, being able to steal stuff is like 70% of the reason why I love this game lmao

Provoke in last where it should be.

My man

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they did a good job at making an oblivious bore a fun character, so Cyrus' popularity makes sense (that and his encounter-lowering skill + path action + double-hitting spells make him a party staple by default.)

They said they want to focus on their own stuff, or new series in general.
Well then, I still want something to invoke the style of Saga Frontier 2, or any one of Square's other PS1 era sprite based RPGs.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
It's the reason I bought it. "From the makers of Bravely."

But then, Bravely was miles better than this so. Joke's on me.
Same. Main reason I looked at it (apart from the art-style) was that it was from the Bravely team. And even though I prefer Bravely too, I'd still be day 1 for another Octopath game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The Bravely games felt a bit flawed, so I think they made Octopath happen as a lot of learning happened.

Just on timelines 3-4 years for projects the size of Octopath/Bravely , which I take to mean, building a new franchise from the ground up and not necessarily 3-4 years for a sequel to either.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's the reason I bought it. "From the makers of Bravely."

But then, Bravely was miles better than this so. Joke's on me.

Thats because it really wasnt even from them . kek. either way, more jrpgs is always good news. I didnt particularly like octopath so hope the team improves a lot. And congratulations to them.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
30% of my Octopath playtime must have been stealing. Being able to sneak into higher level towns and dungeons and stealing high powered gear is like the best feeling.

Was bravely second any good? I played it for about 4 hours then I remembered i hate playing on 3DS.
Pretty average. Story stuff is less interesting/serious than the first, but it has better QoL and some fantastic combat additions.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Uh, most of their BD get games in a reasonable amount of time. lol In fact, only the mainline FF have this problem with FFXV

That's not true. Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and it still isn't out. FF7R has had even bigger issues since it was announced and from all of the reports, it basically had to restart development. The Switch version of Dragon Quest XI won't be out for ages going by official statements. It's not as small a problem as you make it out to be.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
...huh

bravely isn't the reason for octopath being popular.
unless I'm missing something.

He just means that a lot of Bravely fans made the jump early to Octopath because it was a similar game from the same team.

The Bravery series was doing well in its own right, so the association definitely helped.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd have them remaster both Bravely games next year, FF6 remake for 2020, then Octopath 2 for 2021.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced in 2013 and it still isn't out. FF7R has had even bigger issues since it was announced and from all of the reports, it basically had to restart development. The Switch version of Dragon Quest XI won't be out for ages going by official statements. It's not as small a problem as you make it out to be.

That's totally true. Even if I accept your three examples, Square Enix in Japan had more than 20 projects at that same time that got out in the same timeframe.

And KH3 is already finished. It was delayed to get a better windows. The Switch version of DQ11 is a port of a game on a different hardware and it's probably coming in 2019 considering that they talked to show it on TGS for more news about it.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't why people like Tressa.

Haven't done her Chapter 4,
but so far....it's like a filler episode of anime.

The best parts of her story are when she's offscreen lol. Like the ship captain.

He just means that a lot of Bravely fans made the jump early to Octopath because it was a similar game from the same team.

The Bravery series was doing well in its own right, so the association definitely helped.
Yeah, I guess.

Personally I'd still put the marketing in directs and demos above everything tbh.
second reviews/impressions.
then after that I guess Bravely association

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my motto for that game was literally "Steal first, talk to NPC second."

Pretty much stole everything.

Except for that spear.

You know the spear. If you stole that you're a monster.
Memorial Spear from old lady in Rippletide? Yeah I stole it. Come at me!

Only things I didn't steal were candies from kids.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah my motto for that game was literally "Steal first, talk to NPC second."

Pretty much stole everything.

Except for that spear.

You know the spear. If you stole that you're a monster.
*hides memorial harpoon behind my back*

Hm? Tell me, for... research purposes.
Scrutinize an old lady in tressa's town and you'll know the spear she holds is the last memento of her dead husband

Personally i felt worse about stealing the guy that got cheated by his partners, he had an empty bag pouch, some old fabric and a rope.

I know what he was going to do with that rope so i guess i did good, but i should have purchased those things so he had some money to eat lol

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Literally everyone but one business divison releases games on a timely manner
one division?
cause 13 was late, 15 late
kh3 late, ff7 late.
At least dqb2 is hitting this year.

But then there's DQ11, which isn't late....but they chose to announce it for a platform and it's not out on it yet, so that's late in one regard.

Their western output has been mostly ok as far as I remember.

anime filler character like I said