• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What game do you think it'll be?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 483 26.3%
  • Avengers

Votes: 811 44.2%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 26 1.4%
  • Final Fantasy Versus XV

Votes: 79 4.3%
  • The Quiet Man 2

Votes: 437 23.8%

• Total voters

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Basically a spinoff of my other thread about SE's financial report for the last quarter Q3 FY2019/3 (Oct-Dec 2018). Summary by Imran:
Square Enix recently released their financial reports for the last quarter and took questions from investors about how the company is doing business. In one of those questions, the publisher behind games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, and more indicated that there are some big things on the horizon.

While the company refused to go into details, for the upcoming 2020 financial year, Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda asked people to look to the road to E3 later this year for more announcements. On its own, this is a fairly innocuous statement, but it is combined with an expectation of extremely high revenue income in the third quarter, which would be around winter of this calendar year.

When asked about why the company expects such a huge boon in the third quarter, Matsuda wouldn't answer.

Along with Square Enix's self-professed mission to try and shorten the time between announcements and releases, which may be quite relative coming from a company that infamously will announce games five to six years before they hit store shelves, it seems like Matsuda is hoping to reveal something big this year and sell it before the end of the calendar year. Considering Kingdom Hearts III is already out, there's very few options for what could cause a surge in operating income that quarter.

One possibility is Square Enix's announced but thus far secretly veiled Avengers project. With Avengers: Endgamereleasing this year and no further Avengers movies announced, Square Enix likely feels a lot of pressure to get the game out in 2019. Another option is the Final Fantasy VII remake. The original intention was to release the game in parts so as not to cut anything, but after firing the original developer contracted to work on the game, Square Enix brought development into its own studios, and stated they won't be talking about it until Kingdom Hearts III is out. Now would be as good a time as any to show what that game is now that it's been rebooted, if the first part is ready to go.

Source.

The referenced huge spike in expected Operating Income for FY2020/3 (April 2019-March 2020), which was shown last year, would be higher than even in SE's best fiscal year ever in 2017 after FFXV released:
co0nBQ5.png

Also, David Gibson, an investor working in Tokyo who assumedly attended that briefing session on Feb 5 posted this afterwards:

Last edited:

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Imagine SE blowing out the doors for a game and then somehow releasing it within 6 months. It would be really surprising.

They weren't able to do that with any of their massive Japanese games and 6 months is short in general for any game.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
FF8 remake has been secretly in development all these years and is releasing in 2019.

middlegray

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
There's that game that Platinum is developing, Babylon's Fall. We haven't heard anything since Square's E3 presentation and the trailer said it'd be coming out this year.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Avengers seems like the most likely candidate. It was initially planned for a 2018 reveal, but got delayed on a new corporate policy to shorten the time between announcement & release. Would put it on shelves in time for holiday, alongside the Endgame Blu-Ray.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
At this rate I'd believe NieR 3 before either of those, lol.

Maybe that Platinum game, but I dunno how huge they'd expect a new IP to be...

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
I expect it to be something around DS/3DS territory coming to home console. Bravely Default new game(already said they got a game in the works), The Worlds Ends With You 2(I dont think you randomly bring this to Switch of all games without a new game coming out), maybe something Secret of Mana related?

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
There's that game that Platinum is developing, Babylon's Fall. We haven't heard anything since Square's E3 presentation and the trailer said it'd be coming out this year.
I expect it to be something around DS/3DS territory coming to home console. Bravely Default new game(already said they got a game in the works), The Worlds Ends With You 2(I dont think you randomly bring this to Switch of all games without a new game coming out), maybe something Secret of Mana related?
Did you guys read the OP? Those games would surely not result in revenue higher than even in SE's best fiscal year ever in 2017 after FFXV released, lol.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If FFVIIR is coming this year, it almost certainly isn't in its full form. So I hope it ain't that.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of the teaser trailer, Is there any info regarding the Avengers project at all?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's either FF7 or Avengers. I'm thinking it's a new IP by either the Eidos division or SE JP

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I think that the Avengers project will be released within this year, I'd prefer it t be FFVII remake but that game seems like a myth already...

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Square is gonna release a F2P Final Fantasy battle royale this year.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's either FF7 or Avengers. I'm thinking it's a new IP by either the Eidos division or SE JP

Neither of those are near big enough

For perspective how big the title is expected to be, we are talking a MUCH bigger launch than the 5 million copies KH3 shipped at launch

It's either Avengers, FFVII, or both. Nothing else is near big enough to hit their forecast

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
That net sales and operating income graph over time is pretty phenomenal. They aren't a huge company but they are steadily increasing revenue and profit.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to temper everyones expectations and say Dragon Quest XI S. lol
Read the OP. Those games would surely not result in revenue higher than even in SE's best fiscal year ever in 2017 after FFXV released.

Outside of the teaser trailer, Is there any info regarding the Avengers project at all?
Nothing official, but there was this post on ERA last year:
Hey Nirolak,

I was actually contacted by an acquaintance of mine that wants to shed some light on the Avengers Project. Again, I'm disclosing information that I've received from this individual who has given me permission to state the following.

The Avengers Project will have a heavy story/narrative focus and not in any way be a "shallow" online/multiplayer only title. A deep single player experience has been a priority/focus since the project's inception.

I trust this individual by stating the above information. If you require any further proof, I'll just mention "Kamala Khan".

Edit: I only use the term "shallow" since that is the word most frequently used when describing multiplayer/online focused titles with only lite story elements.
Okay, this would actually clear up a lot of the seeming overlap between the two Marvel games from Square Enix, and I was kind of wondering if we might see this split.

The Avengers: Campaign based, relatively traditional (action/adventure) game that can be played co-op or solo, and presumably has some additional online modes for longevity either at launch or later. This is a growingly popular model we've seen with games like Dying Light, Far Cry 5, Ghost Recon, Divinity, and the like, and is usually most to the liking of people who like singleplayer games while still catering very well to the co-op audience.

Guardians of the Galaxy: This one seems to be more of a shooter RPG with co-op and competitive multiplayer, so I'm guessing this is much more in the mold of games like Destiny, The Division, Anthem, Borderlands, etc, but probably with a heavy narrative focus given the studio who is making it.

I think that's actually a very good call on their part. Lead out with the more traditional game first, and save the more very online focused one for next-gen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I'm assuming that Kamala was the one narrating that trailer all those ages ago, haha.

This does actually line up with that old rumor on this note: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...-co-op-but-not-mmo-ish-characters-more.42361/

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Avengers Assemble!!!! I hope so anyways.

Edit: I wouldn't mind the VII remake either Btw. It's just harder for me to get excited for that one. The game is coming in chunks and who knows when they will all be out.

Last edited: