• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
FFVII is definitely not releasing in the next FY.
Avengers could though.
Lol. Avengers has barely been in development for two years. If anything is a PS5 generation title, it's Avengers. Though probably a cross generation release more likely. FFVII Remake is the next big thing SQEX focuses on (internally). It could very well be released in the next year or so if it's advancing as smoothly as they claim.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least they were honest with the quality of their games being the reason for the low sales

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My guess for the restructuring:

- BD1-3 being reshuffled into two divisions for their internally developed flagship games.
- Producer-lead projects like Asano's stuff, DQ, and Nier into third division.
- Mobile in fourth division.

Up until Asano was given his own division those projects were all from BD6 anyway.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
Is Luminous Productions still considered to be BD2 or is it a separate thing like Tokyo RPG Factory?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
So did Shadow do well? I know the games have their haters but I thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy (and the old series. Yes, you can like both!) and I hope that they'll continue the series rather than shelving it.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy VII's time to shine is coming now that Kingdom Hearts III is out (to critical acclaim and strong sales).

It is Nomura's time to shine once more.

giphy.gif

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath was a great success, I guess one of these New divisions will be centered around mid sized games.

Though I can totally see Square saying "Octopath is a huge success but let's not follow that up and put all of our money and resources on next gen gamble". I can see them direct their 100% focus on next gen and completely ignore Switch while doing that. This consolidation process could mean bad news for Nintendo, as next gen platforms require even more resources, we might be seeing less mid-size stuff like DQ Builders or Octopath.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
4 divisions instead of 11 should be kinda good, no? Basically have a KH/FF Team, A DQ and other projects team, a 3rd smaller Bravely Default/Tokyo RPG Factory Team, and then a mobile crap team.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Though I can totally see Square saying "Octopath is a huge success but let's not follow that up and put all of our money and resources on next gen gamble". I can see them direct their 100% focus on next gen and completely ignore Switch while doing that. This consolidation process could mean bad news for Nintendo, as next gen platforms require even more resources, we might be seeing less mid-size stuff like DQ Builders or Octopath.
I think the opposite will happen actually. More mid sized games, and less AAA while the AAA that is there will be high quality efforts with live service elements.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what happened with other 3rd parties like Capcom, they made a lot of new 3DS games and then... nothing? At least people get what they want for AAA.
So I would not be surprised if it's what SE want to do.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Two disappointing games with disappointing sales. Make good games, get good sales. Hopefully the next Tomb Raider and Lost Cause aren't downgrades from the previous games.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know why but from reading this news I just imagined that Yoshi-P will spearhead all HD titles at Square Japan.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
4 divisions instead of 11 should be kinda good, no? Basically have a KH/FF Team, A DQ and other projects team, a 3rd smaller Bravely Default/Tokyo RPG Factory Team, and then a mobile crap team.
DQ's development is pretty much 100% outsourced/externally produced, they don't really fall under any divisions.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
FFVII slated for this year, and last year they said "pre-production is going smooth"? Yikes. Good luck producing a AAA version of VII without cutting out essential stuff in two years.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Have they previously discussed how DQXI did in the west? I fell in love with that game late last year and managed to get 3 or 4 of my other friends to pick it up and start playthroughs.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
for 100m+ budget game those numbers on SOTR are really low, considering it got price discount very quickly too.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see FFVII Remake being released in December-2019/March-2020, its the only big title i can think of to make such a spike in sales.

I expected SoTTR to sell less, 4.12kk its not bad(Nier Automata is a big sucess for them selling 3.5kk in 2 years), but i think they wanted it to sell at least 6kk.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully SE doesn't kill Tomb Raider like they did Deus Ex. Though at this point I don't know who there is to develop a new entry, with Crystal doing Avengers and Eidos Montreal likely working on Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII slated for this year, and last year they said "pre-production is going smooth"? Yikes. Good luck producing a AAA version of VII without cutting out essential stuff in two years.

VII-Remake was obviously in pre-production way before it was announced in 2015.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I had Just Cause 4 in my Amazon wish list and would occasionally check on it and it dropped in price pretty fast. This news doesn't seem too surprising when I think about that.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Since Final Fantasy series and its older games are currently releasing on all significant platforms, does anyone believe FFVIIr is NOT going to be multiplatform?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My guess for the restructuring:

- BD1-3 being reshuffled into two divisions for their internally developed flagship games.
- Producer-lead projects like Asano's stuff, DQ, and Nier into third division.
- Mobile in fourth division.
What about their most profitable division (BD5)? I can't see the MMO team being folded into 1-3? Maybe they'll go with the Enix group since they make DQ Builders and helped with DQX?

edit: posted too soon, just saw your later post. 😓

So maybe something like this?

Business Unit 1: Former BD1 (FFVII, Type-0) and what's left of BD2 (FFXV) after everyone left for Luminous Studio
Business Unit 2: Former BD3 (KH, SaGa, FF remasters) and BD4? (outsourced FF spinoffs)
Business Unit 3: Former BD5 (FFXIV, DQB), BD6 (DQ, Nier), BD7 (Drakengard, Star Ocean) and BD11 (Bravely, Octopath)
Business Unit 4: Former BD8, BD9 and BD10 (mobile and browser teams)

Then externally they still have Luminous Studio, Tokyo RPG Factory, Studio Istolia, Extreme Edges and Taito? Or maybe some of them get folded in too?

Last edited:

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
They've been in pre-production for a lot longer than that. All they've said is Development is going as normal and the next news release is after KH3.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
You never know about SE. They finally have some successful moments and it still feels a little gloomy and uneasy, and they are once again making drastic changes.

But I'm still hopeful for FF VII RE in 2020 (that's my guess). I think they could do FF VIIR this E3 and even just show new content even if they don't announce any release dates and it would be cool.