• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I would like to see her review and what the supposedly incorrect information was.

Edit: She just sent it to me and I'm going through it, won't share because it's under her dead name.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Not the first time they've done this afaik. They blacklisted a Spanish gaming site for giving FFXV a 7.5/10

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
These companies really need to be better than this.

in before "embarrassing"

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I would like to personally thank these publishers for giving even the slightest bit of legitimacy to the gamergate style incel nerds that complain about paid reviews, fake news, and media conspiracies.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
FFS the whole industry needs a cleanup from top to bottom.

Edit: As consumers it would suit us better to wait after till launch for reviews to trickle in. The games shouldn't be donated they should be bought.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not in gaming journalism but "correct paragraphs" is such a common (and disgusting) practice, even over trivial stuff. This is a systemic problem that far extends beyond gaming and everyone should keep that in mind when they have to deal with PR.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Hey, there were a few more journalists mentioning similar things in the ND thread, could we maybe put them in this OP as well?
This practice sucks and deserves to be called out.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not at all surprised to hear that this happened, but I'm happy that it's going to be one of many examples exposing companies of deploying shady tactics like this. The industry needs every bandaid ripped off so we can see the wounds.

Oct 26, 2017
For every honest reviewer that speaks up about this shit I'm sure there are going to be outlets that will just accept this and change their score. It's why I usually don't take reviews too seriously.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's also Bethesda with RAGE in 2010. Yeah, this is an industry-wide issue.

This is why I don't read reviews anymore. If I know that I'll enjoy a game, I'll get it regardless of reviews.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fun part is figuring which reviews were tampered and which isn't

People were swearing blind that this didn't happen at all, but now it's anybody's game

Deleted member 32973

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
well square you know you don't have to bribe that we will keep buying a ff games no matter if it scored 6 or even 5

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Too many developers and publishers have this toxic attitude and expectation that gaming media should act as an extension of their personal PR.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its not that surprising. the industry treats games press like an extension of their marketing department more than anything

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Explains the FFXIII reviews.

Compare the FFXIII reviews to the XIII-2 reviews. That one is WILD.

Virtually all of them say "this game improves on the previous game and corrects most issues" while giving it a lower score overall.

The obvious takeaway is that the pressure to review XIII-2 well just wasn't there as it was for XIII

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Qx1RfQ6_d.webp

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to personally thank these publishers for giving even the slightest bit of legitimacy to the gamergate style incel nerds that complain about paid reviews, fake news, and media conspiracies.
I mean this is hardly the first case of this type of review meddling by publishers, and it's not like gamergate ever actually tried to highlight the actual real known examples of such things (probably because both involved parties in those cases had been men anyways)

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I understand PR departments contacting reviewers and journalists in cases in which the information publised about a game is objectively wrong (say, misinformation about features, unconfirmed rumors, etc) even if it's a review, but not for personal opinions over a game. It seems weird that they would do this for a remaster of a game that was originally released over a decade ago, too.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I'll happily give Nier: Automata a 10/10 for a Yoko Taro print. I wouldn't even be lying. Best game of this generation.

On topic... this isn't a good look for game companies. I've dropped looking at numbered reviews scores all together because it obscures whether or not I'll actually like the game.

Destiny for instance rated something like a 7 and I put 400 hours into it. Killer Instinct was a 6 or a 7 as reviewed at launch but it became such an amazing game over time. The Last of Us 2 might be an amazing game but on a numbered score list but if you're just looking at the score you might miss aspects of the review that would show you "this might not be for you if you thought the last game was just the right length".

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Anyone else remember Jeff Gerstmann being fired from Gamespot because of his Kane & Lynch review?

A review they went and edited and changed the score of after he was fired.

For me personally, GFW Radio being gone was a huge loss in learning about industry BS. They used to talk so openly and candidly about review and publisher PR relations. I remember them reading off the review "guide" for Halo 3 sent by Microsoft. And on numerous occasions, they mentioned being contacted by publishers when they gave unfavorable reviews.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Compare the FFXIII reviews to the XIII-2 reviews. That one is WILD.

Virtually all of them say "this game improves on the previous game and corrects most issues" while giving it a lower score overall.

The obvious takeaway is that the pressure to review XIII-2 well just wasn't there as it was for XIII

Well, I also think that XIII-2 fixes most of XIII issues and still is a worse game than the original.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I once wrote for a site that lost all Square-Enix reviewables because I trashed the PS2 Fullmetal Alchemist. To this day I stand by that being a terrible game. On a scale of 1-5, unskippable long cutscenes in front of a boss is an automatic -10.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Coming from the Hookah community this is the exact same thing there just worse because you got threatend with violence which was the reason we started buying the products ourselves so that we were able to give reviews without having been paid.

Really shameless from videogame publishers to do that. Seriously :/

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's really terrible square Enix did this, but I can't help but find the situation completely hysterical that they fucking did this over a port. Not some big new release (which I'm sure they did as well) , but they really went out of their way to intimidate someone over a decade+ old port. Wow.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds pretty awful if true. I'm not sure I'm familiar with her work. I'd love to see this review, but if it's under her deadname I won't seek it out.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Strange that reviews have two paragraphs of gushing love for the developer. Doesn't seem odd at all.