• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix is apologing for the shortage of Octopath Traveler in Japan, and ask that the fans to consider buying it digitally or buy a download card at convenience stores instead.

Japan is celebrating Marine Day (a holiday in Japan) in the coming Monday.

Last edited:

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, how many copies do we think Square shipped?

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
In Finland it's also hard to find a physical copy at shelves. Seems like the demand was way underestimated.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Its always with games on Nintendo systems. I remember the original Theatrhythm selling out quickly and S-E was taken aback in regards to demand.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Sucks for the short term, but the game doing better than what SE expected is great. I wonder what they were expecting?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the regions, Japan seemed like the one that I would have expected to have the most ample supply. I guess Nintendo saw something in it that even they couldn't see.
when you sell to 3 territories (NA, EU, Upside Down Land) compared to 1, it makes sense to be just a little over

May 5, 2018
Great sign. Interesting that SE wasn't ready for this game selling out in Japan. Makes me wonder how else it sold in other parts of the world.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
when you sell to 3 territories (NA, EU, Upside Down Land) compared to 1, it makes sense to be just a little over
Mate, I will throw a crocodile and a kangaroo at you. Just you watch out calling us upside down, maybe you are the one upside down ;)

I am actually intrigued to see Australian sales as we are usually pretty big Nintendo supporters.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
to me though, this seems more like a missed opportunity.

rarely see a game missed initial sale (whether due to shortage or not) have a great life time sale in Japan.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I could see a lot of digital sales for this now. Same thing happened with mhw when that sold out

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A good bad sign, hopefully people buy digital copies to compensate. I know Amazon sold out in the US for whatever it's worth.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this was planned so people would buy more digital copies which have bigger profit margins.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Makes 8 different printable cover versions to incentivize buying multiple copies.

Ships a conservative amount of physical copies to drive the desirability up.

Genius.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this means that SE can make more games for Switch!
What'll happen is a multiplat sequel with new elements to appeal in the West, doesn't sell as expected for a multiplat release and the franchise is canned.

Makes 8 different printable cover versions to incentivize buying multiple copies.

Ships a conservative amount of physical copies to drive the desirability up.

Genius.

I thought that offer was only for the US?