• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Interesting quote in the CG Designer job listing at Square Enix: "At this time, Japanese games make 15% of the market share in the industry in the world. So if we take a look at the world, there is a big market lying. Even though domestic sales still makes up about 50% of Square-Enix game division sales, the company is targeting to increase international sales for the future." Applicants are to work "on CG movies and hi-end movies for game openings, endings and event scenes."
hrmos.co

CG designer | 株式会社スクウェア・エニックス

CG designer(株式会社スクウェア・エニックス)の求人情報です。 | HRMOS

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seens a good move, focusing on the international market is the way to go. Hope they eventually manage with DQ.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yup Japanese I.Ps and Franchises are growing globally and big console games a better pressed in targeting a global market then just Japan where console gaming is on the decline.

Switch is a hybrid so it is the exception, traditional console gaming though is shrinking. For BIG Japanese Franchises with AAA budget that isn't handheld/mobile, targeting future global markets as well as PC is the long term goal here, not just Japan.

I hope DragonQuest one day finds its ground globally like how Capcom did with a reworked Monster Hunter. For the sake of BIG DQ console/PC games.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's all well and good, but why then make FF16 a timed console exclusive if the goal is to have as wide market share internationally as possible.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know I am going to catch crap for this comment but here goes...

If you want better sales in the West then stop signing deals with Sony giving them platform exclusivity for 1-2 years. All that does is hold back your sales potential for short term gain.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, right choice.
The big differenced compared to the PS3/360 era is that Square (and other devs like Capcom) tried to pursue the Western market by making Western-style games or games inspired by Western games foremost and that clearly doesn't work. Now they know that Western fans like Japanese games because of their intrinsic Japanese style and nature and they need to double down on their strenghts. NieR, Kingodm Hearts, FFVIIR, and other series like Persona and such show this plenty.
Now that they know their strenghts better and have their shit much more together than previous gen, I can see the next generation being really good for Square Enix.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guaranteed Money Upfront
and the best performing platform for FF ?

Its not like FF will remain on playstation only permanently
I get the strategy, but it's in direct opposition to the strategy that they're putting forward in the OP. If you want to increase international sales/market share then you release on day 1 on as many platforms as you can, IMO.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Focusing on the international market than the domestic one seems like a smart move for the major big Japanese devs/publishers.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

If you want better sales in the West then stop signing deals with Sony giving them platform exclusivity for 1-2 years. All that does is hold back your sales potential for short term gain.

And if Sony doesn't get their house in order that exclusivity is going to hurt their domestic sales potential too

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I get the strategy, but it's in direct opposition to the strategy that they're putting forward in the OP. If you want to increase international sales/market share then you release on day 1 on as many platforms as you can, IMO.
It will not sell that much on the series x anyway. Maybe it makes more sense to get the added publicity of being a playstation exclusive.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

It about the marketing .
A console maker marketing can really help if they pushing the IP.
With stuff like bundles , exposure on the store etc etc .
SE sales also loop side on console so the free money also helps .

And if Sony doesn't get their house in order that exclusivity is going to hurt their domestic sales potential too

??
That is stock issue that will be work out .
People acting like PS4 had a great first year when the sales were 1.1 million .

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like an odd sentiment from a company that so often takes money to limit their potential reach, but whatever.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sure, I am not disagreeing with you.

There are several factors into making a decision including historical data which we dont have access to.

Eventually while reach is something you look at "growth", Guaranteed Revenue is also a big factor.

There is still growth opportunity for the series within the PS platform in the west

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yup Japanese I.Ps and Franchises are growing globally and big console games a better pressed in targeting a global market then just Japan where console gaming is on the decline.

Switch is a hybrid so it is the exception, traditional console gaming though is shrinking. For BIG Japanese Franchises with AAA budget that isn't handheld/mobile, targeting future global markets as well as PC is the long term goal here, not just Japan.

I hope DragonQuest one day finds its ground globally like how Capcom did with a reworked Monster Hunter. For the sake of BIG DQ console/PC games.

Switch is probably an exception more because of the games Nintendo has released then because it is a hybrid.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square is referring to Japanese games in general and people have reduced it to Playstation timed exclusivity of Final Fantasy, likely one of the few Japanese franchises that helps skew Japanese games performance globally statistically.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
But then they make sure xbox and to some extent pc feel like they are not wanted when they make there games ps exclusive

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ITT: SonyEra claiming that not releasing games on the Switch is not an error. The same people will be surprised if it turns out Bravely Default 2 outsells FF16 globally (which, frankly, I think is going to happen).

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Less Weeb stuff and more Dark Souls/Resident Evil etc... then please. Japanese game designers are so talented but I feel ill looking at any sort of weeby game.

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018

I agree with you, the new FF being a timed exclusive sucks for those not on PS.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: SonyEra claiming that not releasing games on the Switch is not an error. The same people will be surprised if it turns out Bravel Default 2 outsells FF16 globally (which, frankly, I think is going to happen).

It won't even be close and I'm one of the biggest Asano stans on here. BD2 will be lucky to sell 1.5m whilst even a soft performance for FFXVI would put it at 5m+.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

We saw how that work out with FFXV.

It was on sale for the XB1 version before it was even released.

I can understand why SE took the money.

ITT: SonyEra claiming that not releasing games on the Switch is not an error. The same people will be surprised if it turns out Bravely Default 2 outsells FF16 globally (which, frankly, I think is going to happen).

A better comparaison would be with MH Rise and MH World, but it's funny that you expect BD2 to outsell FF16 lol.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

Eh? How? Neither FF16, FF7 Remake or Project Athia are games that are possible on Switch. So how is these gaming being PS exclusive going to hurt any domestic sales?

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IF FF16 is a PS5 exclusive, I can see it being a close race [in some regions, not worldwide]; however, I would be shocked if FF16 is also not on PS4, which would guarantee it sells better.

We saw how that work out with FFXV.

It was on sale for the XB1 version before it was even released.

I can understand hy SE took the money.
I am not just referring to Xbox, these types of deals are also keeping games off of PC day and date.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix just pumping out the JRPGs with wide global appeal instead of wasting money on properties like Avengers would be the right way to go

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Bravely Default 2 won't even get close. Octopath sold over 2 million and BD2 will probably do about the same if it gets a PC port, maybe lower depending on reception. FF16 will sell 5 million at least lifetime, and that's on the pessimistic side. It will do way more than that.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty lame. This likely means even more money pumped into major tentpole releases at the expense of smaller, experimental titles. Further homogenization of gameplay is on the menu as well.

Pretty much. If you want your sales to be similar to those of the big western publishers, then it's probably a good idea to adopt their platform strategy as well. When was the last time a big western third-party publisher made the latest release in their biggest IP even timed exclusive, GTA San Andreas?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that 50% is made up mostly of mobile games, cuz I'm pretty sure the majority of their console content sells much better abroad.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
IF FF16 is a PS5 exclusive, I can see it being a close race [in some regions, not worldwide]; however, I would be shocked if FF16 is also not on PS4, which would guarantee it sells better.

A close race lol
FF will sell 3 to 4 times the amount even on PS5 alone .

Pretty lame. This likely means even more money pumped into major tentpole releases at the expense of smaller, experimental titles. Further homogenization of gameplay is on the menu as well.

Pretty much. If you want your sales to be similar to those of the big western publishers, then it's probably a good idea to adopt their platform strategy as well. When was the last time a big western third-party publisher made the latest release in their biggest IP even timed exclusive, GTA San Andreas?

You don't need to be multiplatform to get grow but of course it can help .
For eg HZD a new IP on PS alone ( before it get to PC ) had out sold every FF game and most multiplatform games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default 2 won't even get close. Octopath sold over 2 million and BD2 will probably do about the same if it gets a PC port, maybe lower depending on reception. FF16 will sell 5 million at least lifetime, and that's on the pessimistic side. It will do way more than that.

I agree with your overall conclusion but the PC version of Octopath seemed to be a relatively small piece of the pie and I assume the same would be true for BD2.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty lame. This likely means even more money pumped into major tentpole releases at the expense of smaller, experimental titles. More homogenization of gameplay is on the menu as well.

I believe Xbox 360 had an exclusive Splinter Cell game.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A close race lol
FF will sell 3 to 4 times the amount even on PS5 alone .
I clarified with "in some regions." As long as Square Enix doesn't knee cap Bravely Defaults 2 success in Japan by under-shipping physical copies (which laughably happens every time they release a game for some reason) then I can see the Japanese numbers looking similar based on install base of both of the consoles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I clarified with "in some regions." As long as Square Enix doesn't knee cap Bravely Defaults 2 success in Japan by under-shipping physical copies (which laughably happens every time they release a game for some reason) then I can see the Japanese numbers looking similar based on install base of both of the consoles.

Nah, that's only possible if Sony completely screws up PS5 shipments for the rest of this year in Japan.