• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
"We are very proud to welcome Square Enix, a company that's genre defining franchises continue to win over generations of gamers. It's decision to invest in Blacknut is a real endorsement of our vision, technology and market approach. Square Enix understands the potential of cloud gaming, as players continue to transition away from physical formats, finding new ways to deliver disruptive gaming experiences from the cloud. Said Olivier Avaro, CEO at Blacknut."

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
First Shinra for their cloud technology and now Blacknut.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if S-E really doesnt get the market.

First Crypto (now Crypto crash), now more Cloud stuff (while Stadia even bigger than S-E) failed....

Having a foot in the cloud and investing there is not a bad move at all. Stadia failed because Google took their usual approach, then quickly backed out. They've had a lot of good ideas that they totally Google'd.

XBox Game Pass Cloud and GeForce Now appear to be doing great for people. It's not for me, but there is going to be a segment of the market that this appeals to. Not to mention possible cloud processing potential in the future, if that's ever proven to work.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

First Crypto (now Crypto crash), now more Cloud stuff (while Stadia even bigger than S-E) failed....
Cloud gaming != streaming per se.

Cloud gaming can be games running parts of its logic off in a server, like MS tried with Crackdown 3 and the rumored new Kojima/Xbox game.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Hmm, looks like this company offers cloud as a B2B service so it makes sense to outsource the infrastructure/systems stuff to another company. Looking at their site it looks like they do work with several other companies like Microsoft, Google, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

You are ignoring the other cloud gaming services that are growing.

www.sportsunfold.com

Xbox Cloud Gaming users are revealed, now 10 million happy players

Microsoft's Satya Nadella has officially confirmed how many players are using Xbox Cloud gaming. The number of players is not low at all, but much higher.

www.techwarrant.com

Number of Nvidia GeForce NOW subscribers doubles in year to 14 million - TechWarrant

Nvidia's GeForce NOW game streaming service now has 14 million subscribers, more than doubling from the past year. The company does not report how many

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
hehe nut

More seriously, I've never heard of this company. Browsing their site doesn't give me a solid idea of their product either.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
You are ignoring the other cloud gaming services that are growing.

www.sportsunfold.com

Xbox Cloud Gaming users are revealed, now 10 million happy players

Microsoft's Satya Nadella has officially confirmed how many players are using Xbox Cloud gaming. The number of players is not low at all, but much higher.

www.techwarrant.com

Number of Nvidia GeForce NOW subscribers doubles in year to 14 million - TechWarrant

Nvidia's GeForce NOW game streaming service now has 14 million subscribers, more than doubling from the past year. The company does not report how many

It is hard to gauge the market from these numbers because XBox Cloud is bundled with Game Pass and Nvidia does not disclose how many of its users are on the free tier. To understand the future prospects, you'd really like to know more about how much people are willing to pay for cloud gaming services and what the profit margins are.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It is hard to gauge the market from these numbers because XBox Cloud is bundled with Game Pass and Nvidia does not disclose how many of its users are on the free tier. To understand the future prospects, you'd really like to know more about how much people are willing to pay for cloud gaming services and what the profit margins are.

In this case, Microsoft is specifically talking about the number of people that are using Xbox cloud. The fact that Nvidia can offer a free tier for their cloud gaming service is a big advantage that you cannot have with consoles. The larger the number of people that access the free service, will also mean that a % of that will start paying for the other GFN subscriptions.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SE should have never got rid of Shinra, then. SE really knows how to waste money then go back and spend money on the same thing they had invested in all over again.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SE should have never got rid of Shinra, then. SE really knows how to waste money then go back and spend money on the same thing they had invested in all over again.
they're offloading the building up hardware to someone else, so this would ultimately be a cheaper endeavor than hosting everything yourself

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I did think the experience of Resident Evil 8 - going from tweet to playing the game very quickly - was pretty cool. Be interesting to see what SE are pitching here. I think a cloud FFXIV might be an option.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Is this cloud as in streaming or cloud as in offloading calculations to a server? The latter hasn't really been explored much yet, so it'd make sense from that angle.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I did think the experience of Resident Evil 8 - going from tweet to playing the game very quickly - was pretty cool. Be interesting to see what SE are pitching here. I think a cloud FFXIV might be an option.
These are some of the best moments in cloud gaming. Pressing buy on a game and it instantly shows you a play button. Closing it on one device and being able to pick up right where you left off on another one. If I didn't fear Google shutting down Stadia, I would so be cool with buying more stuff on there.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Is this cloud as in streaming or cloud as in offloading calculations to a server? The latter hasn't really been explored much yet, so it'd make sense from that angle.

This sounds like running games in the cloud. Pretty sure this is also related to Square-Enix previous comments on making cloud native games.

"The arrival of streaming as a new distribution platform will not only further accelerate the transition from the traditional disk-based sales model to digital sales, but could also drive significant change in business models themselves via the adoption of subscription models, for example. We are especially hopeful about the major potential cloud streaming services possess to expand markets in growing regions such as India and South America, where there has not been significant adoption of traditional game consoles. As telecommunications infrastructure improves, cloud streaming will directly provide customers in such markets with playing environments that eliminate the need for traditional consoles or PCs. From a game development perspective as well, we will strive to create gaming experiences only possible in the cloud, meaning developing cloud-native or cloud-centric games.

For cloud streaming to enjoy mass adoption, there will need to be innovation not only in terms of distribution, but also in terms of gaming experiences. We believe that new gaming experiences that would have been impossible on traditional game consoles will be a major driver of cloud gaming adoption. Our efforts to develop cloud-native or cloud-centric titles are already underway, and we will strive to create new gaming experiences. We naturally face a mountain of challenges, including technological hurdles that must be overcome and issues with telecommunications costs. However, we have no doubt that cloud gaming will represent a major trend over the next five years as we enter the age of 5G and that our strategies for flexibly responding to that trend will be key. We intend to stay on top of new developments and leverage cloud gaming to drive new growth."

Apr 21, 2018
These are some of the best moments in cloud gaming. Pressing buy on a game and it instantly shows you a play button. Closing it on one device and being able to pick up right where you left off on another one.
Playing Cyberpunk without spending 500 bucks for a next gen console (or playing it at 21 FPS on Xbox One between two crashes 😅)

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Going forward, I bet working in the cloud space is going to be pretty lucrative.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Playing Cyberpunk without spending 500 bucks for a next gen console (or playing it at 21 FPS on Xbox One between two crashes 😅)
Yep of course. I do think Stadia is done for but if it didn't suffer its fate you would probably have gotten new hardware by the time you paid $500 worth of Pro subscription (4 years). It really is a great concept, just wish Google would've executed it better.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud stuff is absolutely the future though

I'm not so sure. Cloud gaming is just a repeat of the terminal / mainframe model of computing, which was previously made obsolete by the PC.

The PC took over from the mainframe because of rapid silicon advancements making localized computing more attractive. These days slowing advancements, supply shortages, and a shift toward mobile devices have made a return to the terminal model more attractive, but there is no guarantee those forces will not reverse again. If mobile chips advance to the point where people are happy with the games they can play, then cloud gaming makes less sense.