• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Outline of Financial Results Briefing by SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS held on May 13, 2019 : https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/19q4_Outline.pdf

At E3, we plan to unveil the details of our major new HD games for FY2020/3, but due to the progress of our development efforts and out of consideration of competitor release schedules, our major launches will take place after midyear of FY2020/3. As such, the FY2020/3 earnings contribution will be limited. We had initially anticipated to grow up and to the right between FY2019/3 and FY2020/3, but we now look to trend flat given that we will be "rewinding" one year in our earnings trajectory. In light of our forthcoming lineup of titles, we believe that it is FY2021/3 and beyond when we can expect major growth and think we have the potential to generate operating income of ¥40-50 billion.
When you see the lineup we will be unveiling at E3, I believe that you will understand why we now expect a sharp growth curve between FY2020/3 and FY2021/3 rather than the gradual curve that we had originally anticipated. In addition to our major titles, we also have FY2020/3 releases planned for some unique and promising games, including some for smartphones. As such, we hope that our earnings will overshoot our initial targets for sales of ¥270 billion and operating income of ¥24 billion.

Edit: For better clarity,
  • FY2020/3 = April 2019 to March 2020 so midyear FY2020/3 is October 2019 to March 2020
  • FY2021/3 = April 2020 to March 2021

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
So they're not releasing any major games this year.

Surprised that they're not aiming for a Xmas release of Avengers.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
At E3, we plan to unveil the details of our major new HD games for FY2020/3, but due to the progress of our development efforts and out of consideration of competitor release schedules, our major launches will take place after midyear of FY2020/3

i'm dumb

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
First Capcom, now Square Enix.

First half of 2020 will be nuts, gotta start saving money ASAP.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
So they're not releasing any major games this year.

Surprised that they're not aiming for a Xmas release of Avengers.
Not that I believe FFVIIR or Avengers come in 2019, but technically it doesn't say "no major games this year". FY2020/3 means April 2019-March 2020. So mid-year of this FY is from October 2019-March 2020.

TLOU2 and Cyberpunk has them spooked I guess.
Yep and it doesn't help that the brand has dipped in quality.
When do you think Cyberpunk and TLOU2 release?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I missed the FY, my bad lol

It's cool, and nonetheless, it is clear that something seems to be getting delayed though. They've pushed their spike in earning back from FY2020 to FY2021. And if the spike was attributed to either/both of FF7 and Avengers, one of either (or both) is getting pushed past march 2020.

Edit: But the flat trend seems to suggest at least one major KH3-level release by march 2020.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Carmelozi You should probably just add to the OP that FY2020/3 means April 2019-March 2020 and not Q3 of calendar year 2020 which some might assume.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So unless they delay it (which could honestly happen) we can expect FF VIIR to most likely release early 2020. Most people were expecting this to begin with (and they themselves already stated it in a previous briefing), but it's further confirmation that they are expecting games to come out and the end of this year/early part of next year.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've pushed their spike in earning back from FY2020 to FY2021. And if the spike was attributed to either/both of FF7 and Avengers, one of either (or both) is getting pushed past march 2020.
Reading what is posted here I would not rule out a AAA release in FY2020/4 ie Jan - March 2020. A lot of this is them ruling out growth upto and during FY2020/3. A major release in March 2020 would contribute to major growth in FY2021/1
See above. You are likely correct but I wouldn't rule out a late Q1 release.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Reading what is posted here I would not rule out a AAA release in FY2020/4 ie Jan - March 2020. A lot of this is them ruling out growth upto and during FY2020/3. A major release in March 2020 would contribute to major growth in FY2021/1

Yeah you're right, flat trend seems to suggest at least one major KH3-level release by march 2020.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
More Q2 than Q1.

So where are the games for this year? Star Ocean First Departure R and more ports?
They expect to roughly do what they did last FY, which was KH3, Just Cause 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, DQB2 (in Japan), Octopath Traveler, etc.

I can see FFVIIR, Babylon's Fall, DQB2 (in the West), Shadowbringers and Oninaki matching that. VIIR obviously expected to put the team on its back.

... There's also a possibility the People Can Fly game or something releases this FY, since it has been in development for a pretty decent amount of time. Maybe the promise of TWEWY's port is fulfilled and that's announced O.O

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the mobile games they released last year, were they counting on Toji no Miko to make bank? lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
so its safe to say that avengers and ff7r will be in next fiscal year right?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They expect to roughly do what they did last FY, which was KH3, Just Cause 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, DQB2 (in Japan), Octopath Traveler, etc.

I can see FFVIIR, Babylon's Fall, DQB2 (in the West), Shadowbringers and Oninaki matching that. VIIR obviously expected to put the team on its back.

... There's also a possibility the People Can Fly game or something releases this FY, since it has been in development for a pretty decent amount of time. Maybe the promise of TWEWY's port is fulfilled and that's announced O.O
You forgot DQXI

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't 2001 anymore. You got other games that gardner more attention more than anything FF.
My reply was about the posts saying they moved the releases because they're shook by TLOU2 and Cyberpunk, which makes no sense as SE says here they're releasing in October '19-March '20, so around/before the rumored releases of those two games. I assume the posters misunderstood the FY2020/3 term as 3rd quarter of calendar year 2020.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
My reply was about the posts saying they moved the releases because they're shook by TLOU2 and Cyberpunk, which makes no sense as SE says here they're releasing in October '19-March '20, so around/before the rumored releases of those two games. I assume the posters misunderstood the FY2020/3 term as 3rd quarter of calendar year 2020.

They have to release it earlier than that man or later because man ol' man.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
"our major new HD games for FY2020/3 "

They still refer to games as "HD" these days. Geeze Square Enix.

Still though, I expect hype teasers. Though I'm feeling pretty "mhmm I told ya'll" about the FF7 stuff for some people. When the last trailer dropped some on here were swearing up and down that game was dropping in winter.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still though, I expect hype teasers. Though I'm feeling pretty "mhmm I told ya'll" about the FF7 stuff for some people. When the last trailer dropped some on here were swearing up and down that game was dropping in winter.

To be fair, the briefing still hasn't eliminated that possibility.

Oct 30, 2017
Japan

HD towns are hard!

Gotta hold on to that.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Considering the dev times it seems like they still haven't fully adjusted to HD even after all these years.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
so its safe to say that avengers and ff7r will be in next fiscal year right?
They're saying here they're releasing their next major titles after this fiscal year's mid-year, so October '19-March '20 and that's either means just FFVIIR or also Avengers. The huge spike in their operating income will show itself in the following FY though because the games release in the later part of this FY and generally the operating income will not be as high in the FY they release in because of the associated dev and marketing costs, as far as I understood it.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
With FF7 (part 1?) coming out next year will this the the biggest gap between numbered final fantasy's ever ? Are we looking at 6-7 years between games ?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
With FF7 (part 1?) coming out next year will this the the biggest gap between numbered final fantasy's ever ? Are we looking at 6-7 years between games ?
Hm? If FFVIIR drops in late 2019/early 2020 it will be ~3 years just like it's been pretty much since 2006. FFXII released in 2006, FFXIII in 2009, FFXIV 1.0 in 2010, FFXIV: ARR in 2013 (if you count that as a new FF), FFXV in 2016. I could see FFXVI come in 2021/2022 depending on FFVIIR's second game.

Or do you mean new mainline FFs and not FFVIIR?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Oh right i forgot about all these games, there is also DQ XI S (published by SE in Japan).