• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

"The Transaction will assist the Company in adapting to the changes underway in the global business environment by establishing a more efficient allocation of resources, which will enhance corporate value by accelerating growth in the Company's core businesses in the digital entertainment domain. In addition, the Transaction enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud. The move is based on the policy of business structure optimization that the Company set forth under the medium-term business strategy unveiled on May 13, 2021.

The Transaction will also provide an opportunity to better align our overseas publishing function with our organization in Tokyo, revisit the current governance structure and associated reporting lines, and advance integrated group management with the goal of maximizing the worldwide revenue generated from future titles launched by the group's studios in Japan and abroad.

Going forward, the Company's development function will comprise its studios in Japan, Square Enix External Studios, and Square Enix Collective. The Company's overseas studios will continue to publish franchises such as JUST CAUSE, OUTRIDERS, and Life is Strange."

Lot of investor speak in there, but...
  • New investment in blockchain, AI and the cloud. This matches what their CEO was talking about last year unfortunately.
  • Maximize revenue. It's well known SE threw the above studios under a bus whenever sales reports came up.
  • Double down on its Japanese studios, though Square-Enix Limited (Europe) will be retained.
Financial reports for both companies are also included. Eidos didn't seem to be doing well over the last 2 years based on a collapse in Net Income from 2019 to 2021 and CD seems to have high operating expenses.

Last edited:

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Investment into block chain

200.gif

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
They really are continuing that Blockchain and NFT BS FFS, SE's management is becoming ruinous rather quickly the last few months

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think selling them isn't surprising. It's just the price that has everyone shocked.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
They really are continuing that Blockchain and NFT BS FFS, SE's management is becoming ruinous rather quickly the last few months
It's the death throes of a company that has mismanaged itself and isn't running on new ip and releases like they used too

Covid disrupted the flow of games and a lot of these pubs seem to have been planning on just living release to release and now have fallen on their faces

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So... zero clue on what to do with the Eidos branch.
Props for somehow completely fucking up with IP such as Avengers, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, I guess.
Good luck with those NFTs!

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you SE for freeing Deus Ex from the depths of hell. Best of luck with your…blockchain games.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll acting like Square gonna run themselves into the ground. If the NFT and blockchain stuff doesn't work out they'll pivot away from it and refocus elsewhere. People have been singing the SE is doomed song for I don't know long now

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
This new guy managing Square-Enix seems to be doing a great job. Next, please.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
The moment they push NFTs and blockhain into FFXIV I'm out.
At least Yoshida has already said a hard no to this ever happening.

Not that they couldn't eventually force him to if they really really wanted, but Yoshida has a lot of stroke within SE to do what he wants after all but saving the company.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Square definitely hasn't been managing their western studios well. They also in general seem to be struggling with risk and reward from huge AAA game budgets these days. Every western game didn't seem to meet their expectations despite selling millions of copies. Marvel games/IP will likely not be part of the deal, they must be licensed out. Also interesting to see SQ keeping Life is Strange, Just Cause and Outriders. It feels they mainly want to make multiplayer-focused games going forward or games that are not as costly to produce in the west.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Final Fantasy has been ass for 15 years and counting outside of FFXIV, fuck off Square.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I guess that Square actually had to pay their developers in the west and treat them well compared to their Japanese studios.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
They also in general seem to be struggling with risk and reward from huge AAA game budgets these days. Marvel games/IP will be part of the deal, they must be licensed out. Also interesting to see SQ keeping Life is Strange, Just Cause and Outriders. It feels they mainly want to make multiplayer-focused games going forward or games that are not as costly to produce in the west.

Read their 2021 report. They explicitly mention they're making more money from their back catalog and their catalog has a longer tail than they expected.
I see more ports coming in the future:

Whereas the download sales we disclosed previously only included titles launched in the past two years, we now include all sales made during the relevant fiscal year, regardless of when a title may have been released. This change was prompted primarily by the fact that we are making many more sales from our back catalog than we had in the past

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost hoping they get bought out and someone takes over, because that governance looks like a shitshow.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to see who square will blame next when this inevitably backfires

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
So basicall, streamlining their business and investing in the new hot stuff investors like.

I think its the right move but this came so sudden and cheap that I am kinda baffled by it.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
complete mismanagement by SE really. I hope they (Eidos, CD,etc) make them regret selling them. They can definitely make great games.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I swear to fucking god if these assholes ruin XIV with their blockchain, metaverse, nft chasing bullshit I will lose it.

Jul 24, 2018
At least Yoshida has already said a hard no to this ever happening.

Not that they couldn't eventually force him to if they really really wanted, but Yoshida has a lot of stroke within SE to do what he wants after all but saving the company.
Yoshida didn't disagree about NFTs being a bad thing, however, whether he said that to please his NFT happy bosses or not is uncertain.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like shoving NFTs into Final Fantasy would be a fast way to end Final Fantasy for good.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
bye

doubling down on japanese studios might bring more left alive, babylon's fall and balan wonderland lol
All of them had dubious elements attached to them (sorry Platinum fans).FF7R, TWEWY NEO, Dungeon Encounters, Triangle Strategy are really good games.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bye

doubling down on japanese studios might bring more left alive, babylon's fall and balan wonderland lol

Lmao what a load of shit this is. FFXIV? FF7 Remake? Dragon Quest XI? Triangle Strategy? Then you have upcoming games like XVI, 7R part 2, DQ3 remake etc. Not every game they've put out has been perfect but let's just cut the bullshit now that SE JPN are incapable of making great games lately.