• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Really frustrating thread to read >.> Like, they definitely announced this too early, yada yada, but what a non-issue to freak out about, especially on a project that'll have at least two dozen level planners (designers).
Well to be fair, the last trailer we got was 3 years ago. That doesn't exactly scream confidence in it releasing anytime soon.

So far, it's a lot like Versus where it was announced in 2006 and then basically nothing except for a random short trailer a few years later.

I guess ppl do have a right to be a little upset/ skeptical at this point.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on guys let's stop with all the doom and gloom. You guys don't know how games development works, stop this. Hiring more planners means development have ramping up nicely. I mean they just changed Cloud's design recently, let's stay positive alright!

Nov 15, 2017
【現在のプロジェクトの進行状況】
FF VII REMAKEは一通りの機能とコンテンツが実装されたプログラムを開発チーム内において随時検証しているのですが、原作をハイクオリティなグラフィクスで再現すると言う意味では満足のいく水準になっている一方で、ファンの期待に応えられる品質にはもう一段高みを目指すべきだという結論に達しました。

そこで私たちはFF VII REMAKEの制作に、既存のメンバーも含め、レベルプランナー、バトルプランナー、デザイナー、エンジニアなど様々な職種のコアメンバーを設けて、このビッグタイトルの制作に取り組みます。
今回応募いただく方には、このコアメンバーとしての活躍を期待しています。

Basically it seems like they're saying "we've looked over what we've done already and while it's kind of cool I guess, we need to aim for something better to please the fans so we're hiring a variety of new employees into core positions(including level planners, battle planers, designers, and engineers) to help out and improve the product"

Not so much "hasn't started" but more like "unsatisfied with what has been done"

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not pray for Meteor just yet people. Aerith will only bring Holy to those who remain faithful.

Oct 30, 2017
The only reason why this is news worthy is because we are so starved for information.

Everyone on here saying this is a normal part of development is right. Go look st all the game companies releasing a game in the next year and see how many positions they have open. This is nothing new. There would be hundreds of threads if one got created for every position that opened for every unreleased game lol.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Some of you guys are really chomping at the bit to whine about this game, aren't you?

What an embarrassing thread.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not too fussed on how long this takes now. It's obviously not coming any sooner than 2019. And maybe even later. Since PS5 is likely to be here by 2020 at the latest, they should just take their time and make sure to have a PS5 version ready because I'll just play it on that. No need to rush. I'm sure it'd make a good launch title.

Basically it seems like they're saying "we've looked over what we've done already and while it's kind of cool I guess, we need to aim for something better to please the fans so we're hiring a variety of new employees into core positions(including level planners, battle planers, designers, and engineers) to help out and improve the product"

Not so much "hasn't started" but more like "unsatisfied with what has been done"
Some quality leadership on display by Nomura and Kitase. I'm sure they're the ones who wanted to work with CyberConnect2 so good job. Put one of your flagship titles in the hands of developers who haven't shown themselves to be worth that kind of risk. Then suffer a setback and take more time.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Couldn't this just as well be for future FFVII-R titles as the first episode? I'm not saying it's not going through some sort of development issues, but this doesn't necessarily have to be read as "they haven't finished planning out the first release." Not to mention all the fact that it doesn't mean they don't already have multiple people working in such a role.

ゲーム内の様々なレベルにおいて、魅力あるキャラクターたちに「こんなことをさせたい」という自らのアイディアを持ち込んでいただける方に期待しています。

I wonder if this is another way of saying "we want someone to come up with exciting set pieces."

Last edited:

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the thread title sure sounded like it.

Don't blame the title for people's inability to read the thread. Or their complete and total lack of understanding of game developement. Or their stupid hateboner for Square Enix built on many popular misconceptions and myths that leads to poorly thought out kneejerk reactions in these threads.

Last edited:

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys are really chomping at the bit to whine about this game, aren't you?

What an embarrassing thread.

Agreed.

"Harhar we haven't seen anything in 3 years about the game, we're not gonna see it in 10 years harhar, typical Square Enix blah blah blah ain't I clever?"

It's getting tiresome.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Guys, they're working on it. Obviously we don't know how it looks like and everything but they're working on it. Let's stop with the constant 10 years joke.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my god the over dramatic reactions and overused jokes.... seriously chill guys :/

Hiring more planners durning the development could simply means they are trying to speed up the process... how could some make this a very negative evil deed that the game is in development hell and it will come out after 10 years or so?

Stop the negativity this is getting silly :/

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Why are some here soo defensive about a game that was announced almost 3 years ago with not much infos and sight of a release date? this is a bad thing from SE and of course you will expect some negative reactions.

next time Square should not announce games soo damn early so they won't this kind of negativity.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
Why are some here soo defensive about a game that was announced almost 3 years ago with not much infos and sight of a release date? this is a bad thing from SE and of course you will expect some negative reactions.

next time Square should not announce games soo damn early so they won't this kind of negativity.
Except this isn't a bad thing and is a normal part of game development.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Sony need to stop letting SE do this at their conferences.

But I guess it gets people to buy their stuff.

We never learn.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
don't know what all this outrage is about? I mean, knowing Square they are probably doing this in the least orthodox way possible. I don't think it means much. Except that we're not seeing it this E3 lol

Oct 28, 2017

Exactly. Everyone reacts differently.

But the simple fact is we haven't seen anything new from this game since Obama was in office.

I think some slight negativity isn't exactly unwarranted here.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Exactly. Everyone reacts differently.

But the simple fact is we haven't seen anything new from this game since Obama was in office.

I think some slight negativity isn't exactly unwarranted here.

Well, there were screenshots in January 2017, and Nomura claimed he had a trailer ready but wasn't allowed to show it. I think the move in-house slowed things down a little, but nothing catastrophic. If you believe certain rumors then the development has been going fine since September. For all we know the game is in a fit enough state to show off right now, but they aren't doing it because they want to focus on KH3 this year.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
in my opinion it is a very bad thing and not a normal part of game development, announcing a game that hasn't even started much of the development.
EDIT: Actually nevermind, I realize that I read the first post wrong. But in any case, the negativity to this specific thing is overblown because it in no way shows that they haven't done much development like some people in this thread suggest.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Guys, level planning is an iterative process that happens throughout most of development.

The worst possible way to design anything in games is to draw up a plan and treat it as being immutable. Design is always a moving target.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
How does this job listing tell you that they haven't done much development?

I wasn't talking specifically about this job listing, I'm just talking about the negative reactions they are getting these days in general including from this thread.

If they didn't announce the game way too early you wouldn't see these kind of reactions.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Nobody is pushing pressure on Square Enix. Monolith Soft? Fails every time.

We will keep seeing this BS from Square Enix until someone shows them how to announce JRPG with 2 E3's in advance and then release it.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
EDIT: Actually nevermind, I realize that I read the first post wrong. But in any case, the negativity to this specific thing is overblown because it in no way shows that they haven't done much development like some people in this thread suggest.

maybe you are right about this one kinda overblown, including my reaction lol but i don't blame the fans for all of this tho.

i hope we see it in a good shape this e3 and we get at least some kind of release date infos, if not.. oh boy.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody is pushing pressure on Square Enix. Monolith Soft? Fails every time.
We will keep seeing this BS from Square Enix until someone shows them how to announce JRPG with 2 E3's in advance and then release it.
As long as you know they are still working on it, why is there some type of hypothetical deadline? What is with the gaming community and the inability to wait for things.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd be more surprised if we got news and threads about this development which stated things were going well tbh.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure someone on the development team is out there right now, taking pictures of rocks as research for FFVII-R.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
As long as you know they are still working on it, why is there some type of hypothetical deadline? What is with the gaming community and the inability to wait for things.
It's not only about the waiting they have pulled this stuff on us since pre-PS3 era. We got burned by that and hard to trust Square Enix's development cycle if they announce 6-7 years in advance.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure someone on the development team is out there right now, taking pictures of rocks as research for FFVII-R.
Dwayne Johnson will mocap for Barret?

It's not only about the waiting they have pulled this stuff on us since pre-PS3 era. We got burned by that and hard to trust Square Enix's development cycle if they announce 6-7 years in advance.
But what exactly is the burn here, especially if everyone is used to these long dev cycles? The only thing I can think of is if they announce they are working on a game, you assume it will be released on a current gen console, buy said console specifically for that, and then a decade later the game comes out on a next gen console. Otherwise, it's just typical SE at this point.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Dwayne Johnson will mocap for Barret?

But what exactly is the burn here, especially if everyone is used to these long dev cycles? The only thing I can think of is if they announce they are working on a game, you assume it will be released on a current gen console, buy said console specifically for that, and then a decade later the game comes out on a next gen console. Otherwise, it's just typical SE at this point.
Best scenario:

Let it cook in development behind the scenes and nobody knows about it until it's ready for reveal.

I can wait 8 or even 9+ years to hear nothing about this project until it's officially announced. Nobody will complain and marketing is much more active. Not like FFXV terrible active time report showing same stuff at every single event and try some German beer is more important than the game.

Oct 28, 2017
2018120103349_1.jpg

FinalFantasyVIIRemake-2-620x250.jpg

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Square Enix has shit tier project management and technical supervisors. After the exodus of Sakaguchi, Matsuno and others the company became unable to hit deadlines. I'm guessing the issue is management, probably why so many directors bailed.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Just out of perspective, Final Fantasy 15's Level Planning team had about 30 people.

It could be as simple as they're hiring more or some people got moved around/left.
People need to stop reading into this more than they should...
FF fans will find anything to bitch about. Any little thing. The brand is on such a high pedestal that everything related to it must be perfect and pure and 'true to the name' or it is trash and the IP is failing. This is how the fandom feeds itself.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Best scenario:

Let it cook in development behind the scenes and nobody knows about it until it's ready for reveal.

I can wait 8 or even 9+ years to hear nothing about this project until it's officially announced. Nobody will complain and marketing is much more active. Not like FFXV terrible active time report showing same stuff at every single event and try some German beer is more important than the game.
But if stuff is actually taking this many years, isn't it likely something would just leak anyway? In addition, considering this thread is about a job posting mentioning the title by name, it would be a lot harder to put up some descriptions if they were totally secret during the majority of development.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
But if stuff is actually taking this many years, isn't it likely something would just leak anyway? In addition, considering this thread is about a job posting mentioning the title by name, it would be a lot harder to put up some descriptions if they were totally secret during the majority of development.
Not really.

Big example:
LocoRoco team at JAPAN Studio hasn't released a new game in 9+ years since LocoRoco 2. The creative director is now coming out of the hole since last year and confirm 2018 announcement for the world.

Amazing how this hasn't been leaked yet? Especially announcement aimed at worldwide when most of that gets leaked in the west. Look at Monster Hunter World, they kept quiet about it behind the scenes for 4+ years until its announcement.

You can keep leaks being locked out. It doesn't have to necessary be leaked.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Not really.

Big example:
LocoRoco team at JAPAN Studio hasn't released a new game in 9+ years since LocoRoco 2. The creative director is now coming out of the hole since last year and confirm 2018 announcement for the world.

Amazing how this hasn't been leaked yet? Especially announcement aimed at worldwide when most of that gets leaked in the west. Look at Monster Hunter World, they kept quiet about it behind the scenes for 4+ years until its announcement.

You can keep leaks being locked out. It doesn't have to necessary be leaked.
Wait, there's a new LocoRoco game? =O