• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While i am not one to doom and gloom with these particular news...

Game was announced in 2015 and apparently was in development for some time even before the announcement. Asking for a level planner 3 years after is just not great news for the development progress of the game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some people will take any excuse to shit on SE. It's embarrassing. This forum has just turned into shit post central.

This doesn't actually mean much. A level planner isn't one guy you know? Someone could of left the team and they are replacing them. Simple as.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Everyone reacts differently.

But the simple fact is we haven't seen anything new from this game since Obama was in office.

I think some slight negativity isn't exactly unwarranted here.
I get being pessimistic on the progress, but as others have pointed out, level planner hiring doesn't indicate how far along the development has come. Maybe if it was say new director changes, then yeah, time to riot.

Oct 28, 2017
I get being pessimistic on the progress, but as others have pointed out, level planner hiring doesn't indicate how far along the development has come. Maybe if it was say new director changes, then yeah, time to riot.
I think it's pretty funny Nomura made the comment a year or two ago he didn't even know he was the director for the game lol

Tells you a little about management at square.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, let's hope PS5 lauch window at least.

Jokes aside, at this point i seriously doubt the ''exclusivity'' of the game, even for the first part. We have already see it with other games that went off the radar after the announcement and the next time these games appeared were multiplatform. I don't know what kind of deal Sony had with SE, but i doubt they are happy with how things are turning out. Personally, i don't care either way but i am seeing many comments like ''this is coming to PS5 etc.'' but i really believe the game will be multiplatform when it releases (as in coming to non-Sony systems too).

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Game was announced in 2015 and apparently was in development for some time even before the announcement. Asking for a level planner 3 years after is just not great news for the development progress of the game.
Despite the fact that the level planning team probably consists of dozens of people and that hiring in the middle of development is common practice for any game of this scope? It seems like this news isn't indicative of the progress of the game one way or the other, if you read the thread.

Oct 28, 2017
Jokes aside, at this point i seriously doubt the ''exclusivity'' of the game, even for the first part. We have already see it with other games that went off the radar after the announcement and the next time these games appeared were multiplatform. I don't know what kind of deal Sony had with SE, but i doubt they are happy with how things are turning out. Personally, i don't care either way but i am seeing many comments like ''this is coming to PS5 etc.'' but i really believe the game will be multiplatform when it releases (as in coming to non-Sony systems too).
I could see a release on Steam/Switch. Maybe Xbox if Phil pays square a visit this year.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

You don't know the reasons why they're looking for one. It might be that a previous developer had to leave for whichever reason. Or they simply want to speed up development.

DKHF

Oct 28, 2017
FFVIIR has been hiring for "level planner" (along with others positions) since May 2017 (when they announced switching to a primarily internal development structure) on their main recruitment site, so this is nothing new (this is just them posting a page for that job offer on another general Japanese recruitment site). Not an indication they have done nothing. I don't check this site besides some sales threads much anymore (in a large part cos of threads like this) but I want to point out Kingdom Hearts 3 was actively hiring for all the following positions (see here) (more than FFVIIR is hiring for currently) in late 2017 a year before its scheduled release date:

Battle Planner

Real-time direction planner

Game programmer

Motion designer

Menu designer

Facial motion designer

Character model designer

Effect designer

Real time animator

Cut scene animator

Technical animator

3DCG Designer (BG)

Cut scene designer

Only just recently in late February (month they showed the D23 Japan trailers) they stopped hiring for KHIII specific positions (now they're hiring for Left Alive and other non KH projects), until then they were still hiring heavily for KHIII. So this recruitment is fine for FFVIIR.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIIR has been hiring for "level planner" (along with others positions) since May 2017 (when they announced switching to a primarily internal development structure) on their main recruitment site, so this is nothing new (this is just them posting a page for that job offer on another general Japanese recruitment site). Not an indication they have done nothing. I don't check this site besides some sales threads much anymore (in a large part cos of threads like this) but I want to point out Kingdom Hearts 3 was actively hiring for all the following positions (see here) (more than FFVIIR is hiring for currently) in late 2017 a year before its scheduled release date:

Battle Planner

Game programmer

Motion designer

Menu designer

Facial motion designer

Character model designer

Effect designer

Real time animator

Cut scene animator

Technical animator

3DCG Designer (BG)

Cut scene designer

Only just recently in late February (month they showed the D23 Japan trailers) they stopped hiring for KHIII specific positions (now they're hiring for Left Alive and other non KH projects), until then they were still hiring heavily for KHIII. So this recruitment is fine for FFVIIR.
Wish you came around here more often, this is a great post.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You don't know the reasons either. I was just speculating (in case i wasn't clear).

I was referring to:

"Asking for a level planner 3 years after is just not great news for the development progress of the game."

No, we can't say whether it's not a great news or not. Without additional information, we can't say anything really rather than they're looking for one developer. The only thing we can say is that the game is not shipping in the next few months but this was already known. It might still be out by the end of the year.

Also, FFVII remake will likely ship in parts so the process should be on-going even after the first part is released.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to:

"Asking for a level planner 3 years after is just not great news for the development progress of the game."

No, we can't say whether it's not a great news or not. Without additional information, we can't say anything really rather than they're looking for one developer. The only thing we can say is that the game is not shipping in the next few months but this was already known. It might still be out by the end of the year.

Also, FFVII remake will likely ship in parts so the process should be on-going even after the first part is released.

As long as we don't have official confirmation, everyone is free to believe and say whatever he/she wants. For me it's not great news. We will see in the future if i am right or wrong.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people in this thread have never worked on a game in their life, but off this job position they can guess how many more years we'll be waiting.

Square said once they intend to ship every game we know about within the next three years. So FF 7 is due in 2020.

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the people in this thread have never worked on a game in their life, but off this job position they can guess how many more years we'll be waiting.

Square said once they intend to ship every game we know about within the next three years. So FF 7 is due in 2020.
square-enix-final-fantasy-kingdom-hearts-release-schedule-555x390.png

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
As long as we don't have official confirmation, everyone is free to believe and say whatever he/she wants. For me it's not great news. We will see in the future if i am right or wrong.

Sure, but you can't say "it's not a great news" because we don't have enough information to say that. You can say "it might not be a great news" and then add reasons why you think so.

True.

People are not familiar on how development works. They don't realize developers are hired all the time for a variety of reasons. Especially when development is wrapping up. Also, FFVII is going to be released in parts so development will keep going on even after the first part goes gold.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a huge game with many environments, they will have many level planners. Modern game development isn't plan and design the entire game and then execute actual development. Games are designed to the bare bones framework and all through development are tweaked to suit the current state, it's really hard to design a game of modern standards using the old 'waterfall' method because of the amount of people involved now.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's like people want to get hysterical over absolutely everything.
I feel like this statement is true of society as a whole right now. I don't understand it myself.

That said, i hope this is for episode 2. Honestly, if this goes on for too long, it will be an experiment in how long nostalgia can sell on name alone when the end product is almost assuredly going to be fairly different, if not drastically so from the original and whether or not that appeals to the people who wanted this remake to happen in the first place. It seems like the further they get away from the original release, the more insta-sales lost.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017

Battle Planner

Game programmer

Motion designer

Menu designer

Facial motion designer

Character model designer

Effect designer

Real time animator

Cut scene animator

Technical animator

3DCG Designer (BG)

Cut scene designer

giphy.gif

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Of course i can, except if you have information to say otherwise. Do you?
Numerous people in this thread have posted lots of really sound reasons why this open position means nothing about the actual development status for VII including the excellent post pointing out KHIII had this (and more) positions hiring a year or less before its release. Is that not enough?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Of course i can, except if you have information to say otherwise. Do you?

Ehm... The point is, I'm not saying "it's a good news" or "it's not a good news"---while you're saying that "it's not a great news", period.

I'm saying we can't say whether it is or it isn't. I'm just objecting that we can't say for sure it's not a good news because there are plenty of cases which would make this news a normal business during development process without representing a worrying signal. Of course, it might also mean that are far behind schedule---I'm not excluding any of these. I'm just saying that there are also reasons to believe otherwise.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Numerous people in this thread have posted lots of really sound reasons why this open position means nothing about the actual development status for VII including the excellent post pointing out KHIII had this (and more) positions hiring a year or less before its release. Is that not enough?

This may be true but i don't understand why KH3 should be taken as an example here considering:

- KH3 had a release date (even if it was only 2018) last year when they still were hiring for these positions
- KH3 is a game that after it's announcement, we were getting new trailers, new screens and info every year. We don't have anything significant from FFVIIR since December 2015
- KH3 wasn't mainly outsourced to an other company before returing to in-house development like FFVIIR. It only had a graphics engine change early in it's development, from an engine that was still in development at that time (Luminous) to Unreal 4

Ehm... The point is, I'm not saying "it's a good news" or "it's not a good news"---while you're saying that "it's not a great news", period.

I literally said that it was only my opinion, in case i wasn't clear. I don't know what else you want cosnidering you are continuing with this nipticking.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This may be true but i don't understand why KH3 should be taken as an example here considering:

- KH3 had a release date (even if it was only 2018) last year when they were hiring for these positions
- KH3 is a game that after it's announcement, we were getting new trailers, new screens and info every year. We don't have anything significant from FFVIIR since December 2015
- KH3 wasn't mainly outsourced to an other company before returing to in-house development like FFVIIR. It only had a graphics engine change early in it's development, from an engine that was still in development at that time (Luminous) to Unreal 4
Because it demonstrates perfectly that a game even very late in development still hires for positions such as these. This means that in VII's case, you can't take this to mean development isn't going well. It's common practice even for a game with a set release date with development going smoothly. It means nothing one way or the other.

Basically, you can think VII's development isn't going well, but if you think VII's development isn't going well because of this piece of news you don't really have a logical leg to stand on.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it demonstrates perfectly that a game even very late in development still hires for positions such as these. This means that in VII's case, you can't take this to mean development isn't going well. It's common practice even for a game with a set release date with development going smoothly. It means nothing one way or the other.

The fact that last summer they decided to return to in house development (after 2? years) doesn't mean that the development isn't going well? If that's what you believe, it's fine but allow me to believe otherwise.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that last summer they decided to return to in house development (after 2? years) doesn't mean that the development isn't going well? If that's what you believe, it's fine but allow me to believe otherwise.
No, that's not what I said at all and I make no assumptions about VII's development status. If you read again, I said that if you think development isn't going well because they're hiring for this position, it doesn't make sense. This sort of hiring happens all the time at just about every stage of development. It doesn't indicate development is going poorly, even if you think there are other things that might.

I'm really not sure where you got the rest of your post from, I've emphasized in just about every reply that I'm merely asserting that this news in the OP indicates nothing either positive or negative about the game's current state.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

- KH3 had a release date (even if it was only 2018) last year when they still were hiring for these positions

I literally said that it was only my opinion, in case i wasn't clear. I don't know what else you want cosnidering you are continuing with this nipticking.

Basically, you can think VII's development isn't going well, but if you think VII's development isn't going well because of this piece of news you don't really have a logical leg to stand on.
Btw, FFXV had job postings for similar jobs a year before release too. I'm gonna find sources later, am on mobile.

I don't feel too optimistic about FFVIIR's development either, but this particular news here is nothing to panic over especially with a late 2019 release in mind.

Bahamut

Nov 5, 2017
I love SE, but they shouldn't have announced this game as early as they did. I was naive enough to think Episode 1 would have been released by 2018. It's an episodic release, so when will the whole "series" be available? 2021/22? I'm already nervous about the whole episodic idea in general.

I guess I'll just forget about this game until something actually happens.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, that's not what I said at all and I make no assumptions about VII's development status. If you read again, I said that if you think development isn't going well because they're hiring for this position, it doesn't make sense. This sort of hiring happens all the time at just about every stage of development. It doesn't indicate development is going poorly, even if you think there are other things that might.

I'm really not sure where you got the rest of your post from, I've emphasized in just about every reply that I'm merely asserting that this news in the OP indicates nothing either positive or negative about the game's current state.

My post was in reply to the one you said ''look KH3 was the same''. Since you said this sort of hiring happens all the time in every stage of development, it seems you know about gaming development, can you post some examples (other then KH3 of course) and explain it for the rest of us that decided to quickly jump in conclusions?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, FFXV had job postings for similar jobs a year before release too. I'm gonna find sources later, am on mobile.

I don't feel too optimistic about FFVIIR's development either, but this particular news here is nothing to panic over especially with a late 2019 release in mind.
This is all I'm really saying too. I don't think it's outlandish to not think VII's progress is going great, and in particular I think Koozek's stance is plenty reasonable. It's just that this particular piece of news is common practice in game development, so drawing conclusions based on it isn't necessarily the way the thread should be going.

Let's be real, if you wanna rag on VII:R for being slow or mismanaged, you have plenty of artillery without this.

My post was in reply to the one you said ''look KH3 was the same''. Since you said this sort of hiring happens all the time in every stage of development, it seems you know about gaming development, can you post some examples (other then KH3 of course) and explain it for the rest of us that decided to quickly jump in conclusions?

See above, if Koozek says XV was the same way you can believe him. Dude's kinda the resident expert. I don't know why you're trying to get me in some sort of "gotcha" here though man, this hiring is just bog standard stuff. Don't you have enough to criticize VII for without this?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I love SE, but they shouldn't have announced this game as early as they did. I was naive enough to think Episode 1 would have been released by 2018. It's an episodic release, so when will the whole "series" be available? 2021/22? I'm already nervous about the whole episodic idea in general.

I guess I'll just forget about this game until something actually happens.
I'm expecting 2 years between the games like with the FFXIII or Mass Effect trilogy basically, so if it's 3 parts the full thing will probably be out in 2023 in the best case or maybe a year later if Part 2 takes longer because it might be the first part to include most of the world map.

DKHF

Oct 28, 2017

It's obvious why it should be taken as an example, the fact KHIII had a release year when it was hiring for 14 positions vs FFVIIR hiring for less positions without a release year is only a good sign for FFVIIR, it demonstrates that hiring for a significant amount of people in relatively important positions happens throughout the entire process with big Square Enix games (and most AAA games) even when there is only a year or less (they took down KHIII offers in February) remaining until release. To the second point there was no KHIII trailers or screens released in 2014, a tiny sequence of rough sketches of Young Xehanort and Eraqus attached to the end of the 2.5 E3 trailer showing nothing of the game doesn't count as a KHIII trailer. The engine change was a substantial setback, Nomura made that clear last year at D23, not too dissimilar to how much FFVIIR switching from primarily external to internal development would have set them back it seems.

If you want more examples than just KHIII, Insomniac is still hiring for roles like this for Spider-Man https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1155951&d=External&r=5000285373506#/

Naughty Dog was hiring for "single-player game designer who will be "responsible for designing and producing engaging and fun third-person action gameplay and levels" for Uncharted 4 a year before release and other positions here (and I recall other times) https://www./threads/will-uncharted...an-assortment-of-random-job-postings.1005343/.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious why it should be taken as an example, the fact KHIII had a release year when it was hiring for 14 positions vs FFVIIR hiring for less positions without a release year is only a good sign for FFVIIR, it demonstrates that hiring for a significant amount of people in relatively important positions happens throughout the entire process with big Square Enix games (and most AAA games) even when there is only a year or less (they took down KHIII offers in February) remaining until release. To the second point there was no KHIII trailers or screens released in 2014, a tiny sequence of rough sketches of Young Xehanort and Eraqus attached to the end of the 2.5 E3 trailer showing nothing of the game doesn't count as a KHIII trailer. The engine change was a substantial setback, Nomura made that clear last year at D23, not too dissimilar to how much FFVIIR switching from primarily external to internal development would have set them back it seems.

If you want more examples than just KHIII, Insomniac is still hiring for roles like this for Spider-Man https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1155951&d=External&r=5000285373506#/

Naughty Dog was hiring for "single-player game designer who will be "responsible for designing and producing engaging and fun third-person action gameplay and levels" for Uncharted 4 a year before release and other positions here (and I recall other times) https://www./threads/will-uncharted...an-assortment-of-random-job-postings.1005343/.
Welp, blows anything I could say out of the water. Very informative, thank you.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which facts are backing up your opinion, specifically related to this hiring?

It's an accumulation of many things, 2+ years without new media, stopping the mainly outsourcing development and returning to in house, the fact that the design of the main character only recently got the greenlight that along this hiring (and others since they were hiring for many other positions until recently) leads me to believe this. Unless we know how many level planners the team has or the reason they are hiring for one (is it because someone left? not happy with the existing progress? adding more staff?) we can't say if this is good news but to me (and others as you can read in the previous pages) it isn't for all the reasons i just mentioned.

So when you say we don't have enough information to say that, you are wrong, in the sense that we have all the kind of signals that the development wasn't going well until recently. But you didn't answered my question, do you have infromarion to say otherwise?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's an accumulation of many things, 2+ years without new media, stopping the mainly outsourcing development and returning to in house, the fact that the design of the main character only recently got the greenlight that along this hiring (and others since they were hiring for many other positions until recently) leads me to believe this. Unless we know how many level planners the team has or the reason they are hiring for one (is it because someone left? not happy with the existing progress? adding more staff?) we can't say if this is good news but to me (and others as you can read in the previous pages) it isn't for all the reasons i just mentioned.

So when you say we don't have enough information to say that, you are wrong, in the sense that we have all the kind of signals that the development wasn't going well until recently. But you didn't answered my question, do you have infromarion to say otherwise?

Ok, so you don't have any factors related to this hiring saying that it can't be good news.

Also: "But you didn't answered my question, do you have infromarion to say otherwise?"

It doesn't matter because I'm not saying that can't be a bad news---I thought I was clear on that. I'm just saying it can be either, just we don't have enough information to state it's surely one of the other.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree that the engine change is not too dissimilar to how FFVIIR switched from primarily external to internal. The engine change for KH3 happened only some months after it's announcement so not much work was done at this point as Hashimoto and Nomura said the game was still in early planning stages, while for FFVIIR it happened 2 years after it's announcement. The confirmation for the engine change also happens to be in 2014 in the year you say ''no KH3 trailer or screens released'' which seems normal considering the circumstances, so yeah i was wrong in that part. It wasn't every year, it was every other year except 2014. Still tons better compared to FFVIIR. Also, you can't be sure that they won't hire more people for FFVIIR in the future, so hiring for less positions doesn't really mean anything, especially when there is no release date attached.

Thanks for the other examples you provided though. It means that this hiring postion might not saying much after all but we still we can't be sure unless there will be some media exposure or release date announced in the coming months.