• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Memes, basically. We've had a KH release moved a single time, right (2.8 moved back a couple of weeks when FFXV was)?
I believe there have so far been three delays across the plethora of games. KH 2 (at least the US release? I think it was originally schedule for 2005), 358/2 Days (a few months) and 2.8 (a month to accommodate for FFXV's delay).

If they're going to say KH3 will "definitely" be delayed, then they need actual proof rather than memes or "Square's last FF game was delayed therefore every single one of their upcoming games will be too" :P

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zero announcements, news, even screenshots for years

people hinging desperately to every little shred of info they can get

sigh....this really is FFXIII Versus all over again.....

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I believe there have so far been three delays across the plethora of games. KH 2 (at least the US release? I think it was originally schedule for 2005), 358/2 Days (a few months) and 2.8 (a month to accommodate for FFXV's delay).

If they're going to say KH3 will "definitely" be delayed, then they need actual proof rather than memes or "Square's last FF game was delayed therefore every single one of their upcoming games will be too" :P
Huh, had no idea 358/2 suffered such a significant delay. Also, this:
358/2 Days was announced alongside Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts coded at the Tokyo Game Show
Reminded me of the legendary simultaneous announcement of FF9, 10 and 11 (though obviously at a much smaller scale).

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
With so much to play and more games every month, I can easily wait for this comfortably. Really excited about it though. Hope their current and expanded team does the game justice. Have high hopes that they will.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, had no idea 358/2 suffered such a significant delay. Also, this:

Reminded of the legendary simultaneous announcement of FF9, 10 and 11 (though obviously at a much smaller scale).
Yeah, I'm not sure what caused its delay though. And that's a neat little tidbit!

But so far, I believe only one of the Osaka Teams KH games has been delayed and it was a management decision because of FFXV, not because the game was in a poor or broken state.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
With so much to play and more games every month, I can easily wait for this comfortably. Really excited about it though. Hope their current and expanded team does the game justice. Have high hopes that they will.

Pretty much where I am at.

I think early 2020 personally but as long as the game is good then I don't care. Plus KH3 this year.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hindsight is 20/20

But at this point, I really think they should have just paused the game instead of switching it to Unreal 4.

This isn't an indication that the game is struggling at all, but I sort of feel like it only would have helped at this point for them to have an internal source of support for all of the development woes they're coming up on, because i doubt FF7R will have anything conceptually that FFXV doesn't already have a framework for.

Especially with the recent release of XVPC, which scales pretty wonderfully. I mean it's obvious that the gameplay trailer for Remake was built using FFXV's framework anyway

DoomGaze

Nov 16, 2017
Did anyone think this would NOT happen?

I said it to myself the second I realized the trailer was for a FFVII remake. I said it.

"This will never come out on PS4. It won't come out on PS5."

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, yes i am uninformed about game development. Better say it instead of trying to make useless comparisons (imo) with other titles of the same company and try to pass it like i know better.

With that said though, i searched around the net after the news hit to find an opinion from someone that actually works in the software development industry and thankfully i found one.

https://thelifestream.net/forums/showpost.php?p=779111&postcount=3

This is basically what i asked for, when people jumped on me. Instead what i got was (non) opinions based on non facts and comparisons between other games. Not that they were necessarily wrong but i never pretended knowing more then them and i only shared my opinion.
Oh, I wasn't talking about you since you don't do drive-bys and I know you were looking at it in the context of other information you felt made it look worrisome and not just on its own. You're always interested and curious too. I mean, I don't know everything either, but I try to inform myself about as many aspects of game development as possible. Who I'm talking about are the ones that seem to be perfectly happy with staying ignorant, don't reply when they were corrected, and will probably post the same knee-jerk reaction in the next thread :shrug:

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Yei! Dev Hell. They just announced the remake just to shut up all whining fans and that's all. That's just not how to do business .

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they've backtracked from the episodic release and are just gonna release it as one, could explain why it's taking so long
Lol, that's very optimistic. Even with an split structure the first part would've never come out before 2019 and the other parts with 2-year gaps in between probably. And before last year it was even still outsourced to another studio that's known to be quite efficient and is UE4-experienced, so how do you expect SE to magically make the whole thing - like 3 games' worth of content - as just one game on their own internally, unless you want to wait until 2024? :D

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Do people need to be reminded that the last piece of news we got was concept art and some mobius guy taking control? I mean when Cloud and Barrett are the only characters revealed I think it is pretty evident this game was announced too early and probably nowhere near finished. The job posting may be for episode 2 or whatever but I'd like to see episode 1 fully polished before that. If anything, the news about this game all spells dev hell to me. It's exactly like Versus XIII with little pieces of news that don't even frankly matter. Please be excited for 2020 release of episode 1 I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I've just as little confidence in SE's management abilities as most people are given their recent history with mainline projects, but there was nothing about this job listing that immediately stood out to me as a clear sign that the remake is definitely in trouble. For a forum that is supposedly populated with game enthusiasts, this mass of hysteria based on fuck all is nothing short of amusing.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
They're already getting ready to plan levels. This remake is going great! SquareEnix really can make HD games more quickly than they used to.

...is what my snarky and hysterical fanboy side wants to say. But I expect they are just increasing the amount of staff on the project and are already well underway.

That said, we will tackle the production of this big title by establishing core members of various positons such as level planner, battle planner, designer, engineer, etc. including existing members of the development team. Interested applicants are expected to work as a core member.

Oh...

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Quite an embarrassment that this was shown off with actual gameplay in 2015 at PSX. Lol, I remember when some people were thinking it would make FF VII 20th Anniversary cause of that. We can only hope it makes the 25th anniversary

Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be announced with a damn jpeg and release before this game comes out

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Typical Final Fantasy topic on Era, some things from the old forum never change.

Nov 8, 2017
I've led very large development teams. This experience tells me the team is working at capacity, and they need more resources. That's project management 101. The only takeaway from this job posting is that if you're a developer based in Japan and need a job, you should get your CV ready and business formal attire dry cleaned.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I've led very large development teams. This experience tells me the team is working at capacity, and they need more resources. That's project management 101. The only takeaway from this job posting is that if you're a developer based in Japan and need a job, you should get your CV ready and business formal attire dry cleaned.
Always nice to have some actual informative replies. Do you think that this could mean they are maybe ramping things up?

Nov 8, 2017
Always nice to have some actual informative replies. Do you think that this could mean they are maybe ramping things up?

Almost assuredly. The blurb about the current status reads like general recruitment boilerplate. I did find it interesting, though, that one of their bullet points was a flat development hierarchy. While damn near the entire development world has gone Agile, part of me wonders how much BD2's blowing up of their structure impacted the rest of the business units.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Please Square don't announce FF16 unless it's coming out the year after.

Don't show a trailer and announce you started working on it yesterday.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
You know guys, Square Enix will delay the hell out this game. Just look at their M.O. with KH3 and FFXVI. And yeah when a typical team is working at capacity and they need more resources they usually need resources, but that's not just our typical Square Enix way of doing business.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I wasn't talking about you since you don't do drive-bys and I know you were looking at it in the context of other information you felt made it look worrisome and not just on its own. You're always interested and curious too. I mean, I don't know everything either, but I try to inform myself about as many aspects of game development as possible. Who I'm talking about are the ones that seem to be perfectly happy with staying ignorant, don't reply when they were corrected, and will probably post the same knee-jerk reaction in the next thread :shrug:

Yeah, some of the responses do feel repetitive every time there is a new thread. It's not only for FFVIIR but i have noticed the same lately with KH3 with comments like ''lol this is getting delayed'', ''it's a game from nomura so they will delay it'', ''this won't come out in 2018'' etc and some other SE games too.

And btw, i wasn't referring to you in my previous post, in case it wasn't clear. You just happened to be the last person that touched the subject, so i quoted you :D

pqvqs

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
While I always get tired of this meme drive by b*llshit on every SE related game and think it should be looked into moderation (seriously how is this not seen as trolling?), can we really blame Era, Twitter or Facebook when part of the specialized media has takes like this one:

Final Fantasy VII Remake was announced in 2015. Previously, it was being developed at CyberConnect but is now being handled by Square Enix. I look forward to playing it in 2025.

https://kotaku.com/square-enix-is-hiring-core-members-for-final-fantasy-1823692767

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I always get tired of this meme drive by b*llshit on every SE related game and think it should be looked into moderation (seriously how is this not seen as trolling?), can we really blame Era, Twitter or Facebook when part of the specialized media has takes like this one:

https://kotaku.com/square-enix-is-hiring-core-members-for-final-fantasy-1823692767

This is the quality of takes I expect from Kotaku to be honest.

Why would FFVIIR's development depend on KH3? Different teams in different cities.

They said recently that KH3 brought on 100 people from their Tokyo offices to assist on development. Unless they plan on starting up another huge KH console title after KH3 is wrapped I can see them shifting that staff over to FFVII Remake. Not to say that FFVII Remake isn't actively being worked on as we speak, that'd be silly and a bunch of nonsense.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a little of exageration towards Square because of versus, the only problem of this game is that It was announced too early, imagine If Horizon was announced in 2011/12 Just one year in development, people would be mad over It, but everyone was ok because of perception of time, they revealed later and continued to give updates until release, the problem of ff7 isnt time of development its How reveal of the game and marketing Works on Square

DKHF

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa.

Maybe it's an old listing ?

Otherwise wow we're gonna be waiting for a while.
It is technically an old listing since the text in it (about wanting core members, all the roles named and the remake's "current progress update") is from 9 months ago in an interview the producer did for the site this listing is on https://mynavi-creator.jp/blog/article/interview-with-yoshinori-kitase. It was just slightly reworded in some areas from the interview for the job listing. They're just reposting an old job listing that expired without bothering to update the text description.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa.

Maybe it's an old listing ?

Otherwise wow we're gonna be waiting for a while.
Read some of the posts here.

Job postings for this kind of role 1-2 years before release aren't unusual at all. See:
If you want more examples than just KHIII, Insomniac is still hiring for roles like this for Spider-Man https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1155951&d=External&r=5000285373506#/

Naughty Dog was hiring for "single-player game designer who will be "responsible for designing and producing engaging and fun third-person action gameplay and levels" for Uncharted 4 a year before release and other positions here (and I recall other times) https://www./threads/will-uncharted...an-assortment-of-random-job-postings.1005343/.
As I said, I'm not optimistic about FFVIIR either due to several reasons, some of which you named too, but just this job posting news here alone is not any reason to worry technically. Many AAA games hire for the same positions 1-2 years before release too, including FFXV that in early 2015 and also late 2015 had many job postings for game, level, and battle planers, online game planner, and more:

Early 2015:
Square Enix currently has two listings on its Japanese recruitment page for Final Fantasy XV planners. The more prestigious of the two is for a game planner who can handle leading a team. Specifically, the Shinjuku-based software house is looking for someone who can propel the development of the game system, including the battle engine and level design, both by managing a team and directly carrying out development tasks.

Sources:
http://news.2chblog.jp/archives/51817744.html
https://soranews24.com/2015/02/03/s...taff-might-be-planning-to-work-them-to-death/

Late 2015:
Game Designer
Position Summary:

The Game Designer will be responsible for all Game Design related tasks, working collaboratively with team members and creating a game design that will stay in users' hearts for the latest entry in the FINAL FANTASY franchise, FINAL FANTASY XV.

Essential Duties:

<Level>

• Commission the creation of necessary assets for various levels. (Willingness to take on progress management responsibilities is a plus.)
  • Positioning and controlling level structure elements.
  • Coordinate events and create quests triggered within the level.
<Battle>

• Data configuration for battle-related features, and implement character battle data (battle AI implementation).
  • Plan and design specifications for combat abilities.
  • Manage and implement expanded PC actions and abilities to be executed under specified circumstances.
  • Resource control.
<Event>

• Plan and create details of event design.
  • Create and prepare motion data using motion capture.
  • Position cameras and create Layout creation, giving directions for motion adjustments.
  • Implement event data into game builds.
Required Skills & Experience:

• A multifaceted individual who has the flexibility to take on various tasks.
  • Experience in working on tasks for Game Design
Preferred Skills & Experience:

• Experience with level editor tools.
  • Experience with 3D tools such as MAYA.
    Holding basic knowledge regarding DCC tools.
  • Ability to speak English and Japanese. (*Describe language proficiency in detail)
Additional Information:

For timely consideration, ensure that your application meets the following requirements:

・Clearly state the job title you are applying for in the subject line of your email.

・Please submit documents in any of the following formats: doc, xls, ppt, jpeg, jpg, gif, or zip.

・Each file should be no larger than 2MG.

・File name: CV_[your name]

・Be sure to submit all required application documents. Applications with missing documentation will not be considered.

・Be aware that application documents will not be returned.

All applicants will be informed whether they have been accepted or denied a position within approximately four (4) weeks once the application has been received.

Please send all required documents, including a resume complete with a comprehensive list of work experience to [email protected]

Source.

And:
With that said though, i searched around the net after the news hit to find an opinion from someone that actually works in the software development industry and thankfully i found one.

https://thelifestream.net/forums/showpost.php?p=779111&postcount=3
So, while I'm not the go-to person for translating, I'm gonna speculate a bit based on working in the software development industry.

From the posting, it also looks like it's a contract position. In the engineering industry, hiring contractors usually means that their existing staff are solid booked with work already for most of the Sprint Cycles in the foreseeable future, and they're reaching out for additional help with hitting project deadlines and whatnot. That's good because it's an indication that, internally at least, there's some semblance of a schedule that they're trying to meet, so even if there isn't a Release Date announced, this makes it feel likely that they have one in mind, at least at the Project level.

Contractors are also usually one of two things: They're either helping to bolster an existing team with some work in areas where they're bottlenecking a bit, or they're doing some smaller bits of mostly self-contained side-work that are connected to, but usually branched a bit from the main work that the rest of the team is doing. Both are connected to staying on deadlines for development.

I'm gonna speculate a bit more that this is a good indication that they're comfortable with the direction that they're going with the game, and the look of things, and that they're trying to get some additional assistance in making the gameplay flow feel natural and work smoothly, and possibly intentionally bring in talent that's external to their team for a slightly different perspective on what they've been making so far (note that the end indicates that you don't even need to be familiar with FFVII to apply or get the position).

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
As many said in 2015, that Sony E3 was mainly vaporware. 2018 and Shenmue and FFVII still going on.

Just remember that a FF7 tech demo was presented at a Sony E3 conference for PS3. It seems Sony loves to generate Hype with these kind of things. While SQEX is getting the biggest share of criticism it's a safe bet that these kind of reveals are planned with Sonys involvement, simply to generate hype. Days Gone didn't get its nickname Years Gone for nothing just to make a 1st Party example for a change.

Unguided

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else just want a HD remake of the original with maybe some voice acting and not some new system wearing the old game's story?

Why even do this when both options would sell just as well? The only difference is the hype's died down after three years of nothing.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else just want a HD remake of the original with maybe some voice acting and not some new system wearing the old game's story?

Why even do this when both options would sell just as well? The only difference is the hype's died down after three years of nothing.

No, thank you.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

you think that would work?

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

giphy.gif

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, they can take their time on this. I have plenty of other games to hold my attention. I want this remake to be the best it can be.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

The amount of "Nope" responses you're getting just goes to show how high fan expectations are for this remake and when expectations are high, it's going to take a long time to try and meet those expectations. If anyone expected this to come out any time soon was only kidding him/herself.

Not only that, but recruitment for AAA video game development in Japan is much more difficult task than it is in the west and something that Nomura has been vocal about regarding the lack of resources available.

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much to read from this. Somebody probably already pointed this out, but "planner" in Japanese is the equivalent of "designer" in the West. So what they're looking for is a Level Designer.

Honestly all that means is that the first episode of the remake is probably still not going to be ready for 2 years probably.

Good thing SE's mobile games are doing well, they're basically funding the HD games development divisions at this point.

chaos_planes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game doesn't exist. It never did. Sony gave them a bag of cash to announce it at E3, with no expectation of them following through. That's all. It'll be (not so quietly) rolled into FF17 around 2023.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, that's a fair point. I honestly sometimes want that too, especially considering the fact that a whole team at SE is now busy until probably 2023/2024 and could've instead started on FFXVII already alongside FFXVI, which I'm sure has been in development at another team for a while now. I think the years of speculating and dreaming about possibly getting the remake was more exciting than playing the actual games will probably be anyway. But since this is what we're getting for the next 6 years or so, I'd rather them giving it a fresh spin as much as possible.

And right, I meant the core staff (directors and writers).
Even much of the old core staff is missing.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017

I saw this earlier this morning. Was very disappointed with Mr. Ashcraft and Kotaku in general. They should know better.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Zero announcements, news, even screenshots for years

people hinging desperately to every little shred of info they can get

sigh....this really is FFXIII Versus all over again.....

In their defense, they had other games, namely FFXV and now KH3, to promote at the time.

So its a bit different than Versus days in that square is releasing a lot more games now compared to PS3 droughts.