• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Didn't see it posted and saw a few people talking about it on Twitter.

In his annual New Years letter, president and representative director Yosuke Matsuda wrote something that sticks out quite a bit:

Against this backdrop of significant change, the current generation of game consoles has entered the late stage, and the next generation of consoles has become a topic of discussion in the digital entertainment industry. Meanwhile, cloud streaming services for gaming have at last begun to show signs of taking off. Streaming is likely to bring a number of new platform operators into the market in addition to the existing console providers, while platform holders are also joining the PC gaming space. These developments produce a growing number of avenues through which game publishers and developers can provide content. In particular, game streaming services will be the ultimate driver of a rapid transition from the sale of games in boxes to digital consumption. Streaming also lends itself to new subscription-based business models, so we believe deciding how to engage with these forthcoming trends will be key to future growth.

Thoughts/opinions?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they gut the Shinra Cloud streaming venture that was put out by the previous CEO ?

Every two years it's the same cycle of self-flagellation.

Oct 25, 2017
If the delay from the servers wasn't already enormous, I could see the FFXIV team trying a thin client if they run into issues getting the game to run properly on the Switch.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong, but until the internet infrastructure steps up in the US, it's not going to be the dominate thing.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not gonna really put too much stock in the guys who let IO Interactive go because they didn't think the Hitman franchise was worth keeping, put out the worst game of 2018 - The Quiet Man - and seem to have no strategy or planning at all when it comes to what they have done in the last 2 years.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's the future like streaming music is today, I'm fine with that. I can still purchase vinyl or cd's if I desire.

Oct 25, 2017
I also think it will be, I just fear for input delay but we'll see.

Plus, we'll probably have the option of keeping it the way it is now for a long time anyways.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Sure. But it's unfortunate for those who have crappy broadband.

The hope is that in the future internet speeds for more and more people get fast enough to make streaming possible.
It worked for going from dial up and ordering movies from blockbuster to streaming/downloading 4k streams on netflix.
No reason time and innovation cant do the same for game streaming.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's the future in parts of Europe and Asia, yes, but certainly not in America.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's certainly smart for companies like this to look forward and watch closely as streaming continues to develop. The tech and particularly network infrastructure are still a ways off from making streaming an alternative without significant compromises, but it's starting to get there.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
If Square thinks it's the future then it surely isn't.

They're like the Micheal Patcher of video game developers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"I believe that forcing consumers into symbiotic relationships that benefit us directly while offering little to no improvement to the customer is the future".

Of course you do.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
déjà vu

Square Enix announced the cloud gaming platform at Tokyo Game Show 2014, calling it a "new ecosystem for the games industry" and a new way to deliver AAA games via streaming cloud-based architecture.

Square Enix shutting down cloud gaming business Shinra Technologies. Company to post 'extraordinary' 2 billion yen loss.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/1/5/10720404/square-enix-shutting-down-shinra-technologies-cloud-gaming

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The hope is that in the future internet speeds for more and more people get fast enough to make streaming possible.
It worked for going from dial up and ordering movies from blockbuster to streaming/downloading 4k streams on netflix.
No reason time and innovation cant do the same for game streaming.
You make excellent points. I was thinking about those in rural areas. The US is still one of most advanced countries with the slowest broadband adoption rates. I believe we have one of the slowest broadband speeds for the money we pay. I could be wrong though.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And like with everyone wants their own client on PC, everyone wants to have their own streaming service that you have to pay for,
After some time you won't be able to play older games (bandwith and such),
They will limit the amount of deviced that you will use (god forbid, that a friend/family memeber could use your account),
And on Launch Day of games like GTA and COD everything will burn down if they don't provide the server farms to handle this load.
And let's not forget DDOSing and Co.

Yeah, sounds awesome to me

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
He's absolutely right. Streaming is absolutely the future of gaming. The biggest companies are investing tons into infrastructure for it.

What I've heard through the grapevine is some bananas cool shit.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What people on resetera sometimes forget that streaming doesn't have to be a replacement for the way we consume interactive entertainment today. It could be complementary.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
He says it's the key for growth not a replacement meaning additional revenue maker like MTX is now. Though SE has been saying about subscription based model for some time now = they are probably preparing something for that (Avengers?).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a future I do not and will never want. It's the end of new games for me.

lolilolailo

Oct 27, 2017
He's absolutely right. Streaming is absolutely the future of gaming. The biggest companies are investing tons into infrastructure for it.

What I've heard through the grapevine is some bananas cool shit.
Of course it is. Connections are faster everyday and video streaming is already the norm. Gaming is next.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not a future I'll be part of. I'll not pay for something I can't own or that will be held hostage by the internet.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great. Not limited by hardware will be amazing.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is absolutely a piece of how games will be delivered in the future.

Streaming is absolutely not a sole solution for AAA game distribution for as long as the primary market for AAA games has such crappy internet access.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Not a future I'll be part of. As it is, I'm not subscribing to every Tom, Dick and Harry corporation streaming platform for television and movies. I'm not subscribing to DC Universe, and not subscribing to Disney +. For me, Netflix and Hulu's enough. And I've stated, when physical gaming dies, my place among fellow gaming fans and desire to see what future games are made will die with them. Oh well...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'll never understand people being more concerned with how a game is delivered (physical/digital/streamed) than the quality of the game itself. If streaming works without issue, I don't care.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Even if they do a streaming service, I think it will be around 2025 with the first game being Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode 1.

Square Enix takes time to do anything.

Last edited:

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Streaming is absolutely a piece of how games will be delivered in the future.

Streaming is absolutely not a sole solution for AAA game distribution for as long as the primary market for AAA games has such crappy internet access.
Yeah, that about covers it I think. Also, if VR continuos to grow, it's going to be interesting to see how latency is gonna affect the streaming market. There is very low tolerance for latency in VR.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think we are ages away from it.

If anything I expect gaming as a service to go the Netflix route of things. People paying for monthly subscriptions to a companies catalog of games. Much like Xbox Gamer Pass.

Streaming say, a high fidelity game, that's something I just can't see until countries can roll out fast internet infrastructure in all parts of the country. PlayStation Now sort of does this, but besides the technical problems, I don't see why someone would want to pay and stream a single game. It just doesn't seem cost effective, not to mention the consistent problems people will have with data caps with cable companies.

The only thing I can see working out are free to play games as a service. Can be played on any device that downloads the program/app. It's free so it doesn't cost anything to the person playing except for their internet.

Just my thoughts right on that. And that's not getting into consumer rights aspect of it all. To me I just don't think I'll ever see the value in this technology compared to our current system. I know it will only cost me more in the end and I won't gain any value from it. No matter how they spin the marketing or verbiage.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
These massive companies will do their fucking hardest to ensure this works out. They don't want people to own the games. They want a service. There is essentially a 0% chance this stuff will be able to run games at the resolutions, bitrates and refresh rates that consoles and PC's are currently at or headed, and by the time they get these services ready they will be knowhere close. The reason they will push for it through and the reason it may win out is the "good enough and cheap enough" factor. Being able to play game on your phone or cheap little box connected to the TV might be appealing to most people. I mean Netflix isn't perfect and you may be without it if your internet goes out but people are okay with it. I am okay with it. I know I wouldn't with games though but maybe other people will.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a future I do not and will never want. It's the end of new games for me.

Likewise - I won't ever "rent" my games in a Netflix streaming format. Not too worried as my interest remains firmly rooted in older games and I have a collection of unplayed titles that will last several lifetimes.