• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Final Fantasy world would you like to see return? (2 votes allowed)

• "World of Balance" - Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • "Earth" - Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Gaia - Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 54 23.5%
  • Spira - Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2

Votes: 62 27.0%
  • Vana'diel - Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • Eos - Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Not Ivalice - FFXII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Revenant Wings, FFXIV...

Votes: 59 25.7%

• Total voters
Announcement: Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
51270555055_fc1e43ba92_o.png

Thanks JB2448

Announcement: Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate
Update (finally): Babylon’s Fall
Announcement: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin [+ Team Ninja section]
Announcement: Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Has anything been said about what's up with Tokyo RPG Factory? They've been quiet since Oninaki and I keep hoping that they'll come into their own with another title or two under their belts.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
First the NieR XIV raids, then Reincarnation, then the Remaster, now the Card game, Yoko Taro is out there trying all sort of stuff.

Feels like he just wants to jump from project to project without having to manage his next big game hahaha.

Oct 25, 2017
The card game looks nifty, and the surprise release of Actraiser yesterday brings Square Enix's 2021 Remix/Remaster count to... 9 or 10?

- Nier
- SaGa Frontier
- Legend of Mana
- FF1
- FF2
- FF3
- FF4
- Actraiser
- FF5

I'm assuming FF6 will slip into next year, while means next year's slate, that we know so far, is likely

- FF6 - Pixel Remaster
- FF9 Remake (likely updating the pre-rendered backgrounds from scratch, or doing something Bravely style) (The GeForce leak listed this and Actraiser from SE, so, uh, yeah)
- Chrono Cross - Remaster (likely similar to SaGa Frontier 1's?
- FF Tactics - Remaster - Probably the Retina HD version of the game shoved into Unreal or something
- Dragon Quest X Single Player
- Dragon Quest III HD

I also suspect there will be another wildcard from the 16-bit era. Not sure if another SaGa remaster will make it out next year. There was only a year and a half between RS3 and SF1's remasters. I think Ogre Battle will get treatment like Actraiser, as the mix pre-rendered models and polygonal backgrounds is already what Ogre Battle 64 used. Chrono Trigger is likely to get a Pixel Remaster, but I don't know how/when.

I'm really positive about Square Enix's treatment of their old catalogue. I wrote up a thread with a full list of their current upcoming updates and the like 30 or 40 on current hardware, but I didn't want to deal with the absolute vitriol that these things seem to incite among Era users.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Live A Live is supposedly getting "something". SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited seem highly likely along with the rest of the Mana series at this point.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I finally got myself back to Chrono Trigger and I'm really loving it. The PC port is super good now.

At first I thought the battle system was really basic, but it seems to be basically entirely focused on positionals? Its an interesting approach. Another thing FFXIII could have done if it had slowed the battle system down a bit.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I feel like I must have this just because they are immortilizing one of the greatest covers ever made.

Oct 25, 2017
Time to update this, I guess?

So a summary of the "known" upcoming remakes and remasters, including leaks:

1. FF7R-2
  2. Dragon Quest 3 - Likely late this year or early next year (35th anniversary is early February, which is significant as the first DQ3 was the first major videogame launch as far as I know)
  3. Live-a-Live
  4. Front Mission 1
  5. Front Mission 2
  6. Tactics Ogre Reborn - supposedly a "remake" like the PRs were?)
  7. Final Fantasy Tactics (Remaster? Or like Reborn?)
  8. FF9R
  9. Vaklyrie Profile Lenneth -- Lenneth copyright leaked
  10. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song - Minstrel song copyright leaked
  11. *****Front Mission 2089 ---- We have no idea whether the new FM2089 product is based on the previous two FM2089 releases, or if this is a totally new thing.
Unless Actraiser flopped I imagine they will do an A2 remake with city building. SaGa Frontier 2 is a lock for a remaster. Ogre Battle 1 is almost certainly a lock for a remake based on all of criteria they seem to be following. Ports of the Pixel Remasters and the Mobile DQ 4/5/6/7 are extremely likely to start happening.

Ryotsu

Jun 11, 2021
Looking at the studios sold (SE):

- Crystal Dynamics (released games since 2010):
Tomb Raider (2013)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)
Marvel's Avengers (2020)

- Eidos (released games since 2010):
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
Thief (2014)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2021)

- SE Montreal (mobile games only):
Hitman Go (2014)
Hitman Sniper (2015)
Lara Croft Go (2015)
Deus Ex Go (2016)
Hitman Sniper: The Shadows (2021)

Besides the Tomb Raider games, I think almost all of them were flops.
They were barely profitable (190M revenue, less than 8M profit) and had 1100 workers.

It really seems like they are getting ready for being acquired.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Besides the Tomb Raider games, I think almost all of them were flops.
They were barely profitable (190M revenue, less than 8M profit) and had 1100 workers.

It really seems like they are getting ready for being acquired.
Sad but true. The only I'm shocked by is that it went for so little and there really didn't seem to be much interest. All the talk of SE using their western studios as scapegoats is so fucking dumb, especially when people refer to their Japanese flops like Balan Wonderworld and Babylon's Fall as if they're remotely similar in terms of budget. I do think they were mismanaged and their games marketing often sucked buuuut as far as I'm aware, Eidos' management is part of the sale so unless Embracer does a cleanout, nothing's going to change in that regard.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Square Enix Europe from here, I presume it'll go back to being a much smaller localisation office.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
While trying to update myself on which division handles which projects, I came to realize that this thread actually hasn't been updated in a while despite a bunch of projects having been announced and released since the last time anyone replied in this thread. Everything alright, Ishiro?

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
While trying to update myself on which division handles which projects, I came to realize that this thread actually hasn't been updated in a while despite a bunch of projects having been announced and released since the last time anyone replied in this thread. Everything alright, Ishiro?
Really cool of you to ask and I'm doing great! Just had very limited free time for a long while and this was just not a priority.
Things are looking up though, and I'm hoping I can start making updates in the coming weeks. Like a whole ass section that will have to be (reluctantly) removed. Second post's gonna feel so empty without the western divisions.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Did a big breakdown of SE console games by CBUs this year in IB, thought it might be useful here. No SE Europe or Taito obviously.

Creative Business Unit I (Square)
  • 02.10.22 Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix Cloud Version (NSW) Ubitus
  • 02.10.22 Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue Cloud Version (NSW) Ubitus
  • 02.10.22 Kingdom Hearts III + Re: Mind Cloud Version (NSW) Ubitus
  • 03.15.22 Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (PS4, PS5, Win, XBO, XBS) Team Ninja
  • 04.07.22 Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition (NSW, PS4, Win, XBO) D4 Enterprise
  • 09.29.22 Valkyrie Elysium (PS4, PS5, Win) Soliel
  • 09.29.22 Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PS4, PS5) SIEJA
  • 10.27.22 Star Ocean: The Divine Force (PS4, PS5, Win, XBO, XBS) tri-Ace
  • 11.04.22 Harvestella (NSW, Win) Live Wire
  • 11.11.22 Tactics Ogre: Reborn (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win) Algebra Factory, Zereo
  • 12.01.22 Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song Remastered (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win)
  • 12.13.22 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win, XBO, XBS)
Creative Business Unit II (Enix)
  • 02.17.22 Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden (NSW, PS4, Win) Alim
  • 02.28.22 Babylon's Fall (PS4, PS5, Win) PlatinumGames
  • 03.04.22 Triangle Strategy (NSW) ArtDink, Netchubiyori
  • 05.11.22 The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win) h.a.n.d.
  • 07.22.22 Live A Live (NSW) historia
  • 09.12.22 Voice of Cards: The Beasts of Burden (NSW, PS4, Win) Alim
  • 09.13.22 Various Daylife (NSW, OS4, Win) Doki Doki Groove Works
  • 09.15.22 Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win) B.B. Studio
  • 09.22.22 The DioField Chronicle (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win, XBO, XBS) Lancarse
  • 10.06.22 NieR Automata: The End of YoRHa Edition (NSW) PlatinumGames, Virtuos
  • 10.13.22 Triangle Strategy (Win) ArtDink, Netchubiyori
  • 12.09.22 Dragon Quest Treasures (NSW) Tose Software
Creative Business Unit III (MMO)
  • n/a
Creative Business Unit IV (mobile)
  • 02.23.22 Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster (Win) Tose Software
  • 03.10.22 Chocobo GP (NSW) Arika

Also, while it's a separate dev group, apparently Luminous Productions is organized under CBU3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Did a big breakdown of SE console games by CBUs this year in IB, thought it might be useful here. No SE Europe or Taito obviously.

• 02.10.22 Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue Cloud Version (NSW) Ubitus
  • 03.15.22 Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (PS4, PS5, Win, XBO, XBS) Team Ninja
  • 04.07.22 Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition (NSW, PS4, Win, XBO) D4 Enterprise
  • 11.11.22 Tactics Ogre: Reborn (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win)
  • 12.13.22 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win, XBO, XBS)
  • 09.15.22 Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win) B.B. Studio
  • n/a

Also, while it's a separate dev group, apparently Luminous Productions is organized under CBU3.
Thanks, super useful!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I would have thought that TO Reborn was a CBU3 game, surprised to hear it's actually CBU1.
I was surprised too! It's right there in the credits though, looks same general production staff as the FFX/X-2/XII remasters, Dungeon Encounters and even the PSP TO remaster.

The programming team (Zereo) were founded by old Gamearts staff and did the recent ports of Ikaruga on Switch, PS4 and Android.

Thanks, super useful!
The only thing is the unreleased games are guesses but almost certain based on track record.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Great list!

I think Minstrel Song Remastered is developed by Bullets, who also worked on SaGa Frontier Remaster and CC Reunion is developed by Tose.

Archiving: Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
Archiving: Embracer acquires Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Square Enix Montréal
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Square Enix Studios Managed by SE Europe:

49980529176_1d0ab3fa1b_o.png
Heads: Ron Rosenberg, Scot Amos
Notable staff: Stephen Barry (Ex EA/Visceral Games), Vincent Napoli (Ex Santa Monica Studios)
Number of Employees: 327

Notable released games:
Samurai Shodown (1995)
Pandemonium (1997)
Gex: Enter the Gecko (1998)
Legacy of Cain: Soul Reaver (1999)
Soul Reaver 2 (2001)
Blood Omen 2 (2002)
Tomb Raider (2013)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)
Currently working on:

Marvel's Avengers

50961895076_54c167d060_o.png

Platform(s): PS4, PS5, PC, XBO, XSX, XSS, Stadia
Genre: Action-Adventure
Release Date:

DLC:

Kate Bishop: December 8, 2020
Hawkeye: March 18, 2021
Spider-Man (PS4, PS5): 2021
Black Panther (War For Wakanda): 2021

2021 Roadmap + Details:

roadmap_v17--2uLnX3Cu.png

Our focus moving forward is to deliver new content that is compelling to play and replay again while offering better rewards. We are expanding upon what the Avengers Initiative currently has to offer to provide more choices for players when they hop in game and have completed all the Operations. We do want to mention that this roadmap could potentially change depending on the ever-changing world of game development, but we also feel confident about what we have presented here and hope it also excites you.

As we get closer to each element of the roadmap, we'll provide more detailed information, but for now, we'd like to touch briefly on each section:

Tachyon Anomaly
During this event, Tachyon Rift Missions will appear more often, and will be scaled for Power Levels 1-100 so more players can experience them and have event-specific rewards.

Since launch, we have heard players ask if more than one of the same Hero can be present in a Strike Team. We're happy to announce that during the Temporal Assault event, you'll be able to play multiple of the same hero in the Avengers Initiative. If you've always wanted to see what a team of four Hulks is like, this event is for you!

Red Room Takeover
Enter the Red Room Takeover with new unique HARM Room content and outfits.

Cosmic Cube
It's Monica's time to shine in her very own Villain Sector as the Scientist Supreme, featuring a brand new battle where players must confront the unchecked power of the Cosmic Cube.

Wasteland Patrol
A new Patrol Mode mission type that allows you to explore the largest War Zone area to date, complete quests, and earn rewards without the constraints of a mission. You can explore these areas as long as you want and complete Assignments at your leisure!

War for Wakanda
Black Panther is coming in 2021 along with more Villains like Klaw, a new enemy Faction, the Wakandan Jungle Biome, a new Outpost, a Power Level cap increase, and much more. This will be the biggest content drop since launch. We can't wait to show you everything that is coming with Wakanda.

Ongoing Improvements
We're always working on tuning combat, gear, and matchmaking as you'll continue to see in our upcoming patches, including the ability to use the directional pad in menus.

Additional Content and Features
Omega-Level Threat missions have been the most significant development challenge since we launched the game. The feature works, we have our devs and QA teams playing every day, but we're still tracking down bugs that we need to resolve. We want to make sure we're confident that the quality is rock solid.

We're also working on post-level-50 progression, outfits inspired by the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and multiplayer Megahives. We can't wait to show you more!

Our team is committed to improving Marvel's Avengers, beginning with these upcoming additions to the game. This is only the start of our future plans and, as stated previously, not everything we're working on. We'll be sharing more details over these coming months, so keep an eye out on our official channels. We hope this roadmap offers you a bit more knowledge into what we're focusing on as we continue development day in and day out in order to make Marvel's Avengers the game we know it can be. Thank you for your continued patience, your support, your feedback, and your unbridled passion!

Trailer(s):
The Avengers Project Announcement Trailer

Marvel's Avengers: A-Day Official Trailer
Digital Foundry: [4K] Marvel's Avengers First Impressions: Brilliant On PC But What About PS4 Pro?
Captain America's Secret Empire Outfit Revealed for Marvel's Avengers
Marvel's Avengers: Game Overview
Marvel's Avengers: Embrace Your Powers Trailer
Marvel's Avengers | Kate Bishop - Taking AIM Trailer
Marvel's Avengers: War Table - Kate Bishop Gameplay Deep Dive

Marvel's Avengers - Next Gen Story Trailer | PS5
Hawkeye Story Trailer | Marvel's Avengers
Marvel's Avengers WAR TABLE Deep Dive - Hawkeye
Marvel's Avengers | Black Panther Reveal Trailer

Latest news:
Marvel's Avengers Project Will Be an Online 3rd-Person Action Adventure
Crystal Dynamics Adds Veterans From Naughty Dog, EA, Monolith, And More For The Avengers Project
The Avengers project (Crystal Dynamics) will be a game players "play for years to come"
Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game might have a singleplayer mode
Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game sounds like it has co-operative campaigns of some sort
Rumored details about Square Enix's Avengers game (co-op but not MMO-ish, characters, more)
Crystal Dynamics (The Avengers) hiring Data Scientist for player acquisition, retention, & ecommerce
Crystal Dynamics expand, open up new Seattle studio (also hire Lead Systems Designer of God of War)

Marvel's Avengers unveiled w/ Trailer + Details Inside (May 15, 2020, Story-Driven, 4 Player Co-Op, GaaS, Eidos x Crystal Dynamics, PS4/X1/PC/Stadia)
Marvel's Avengers Q&A details
Marvel's Avengers (Square-Enix): SDCC panel footage confirms Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), Teases Captain Marvel
Marvel's Avengers: A-Day Prologue Gameplay Footage
Digital Foundry: Marvel's Avengers First Impressions: Brilliant On PC But What About PS4 Pro?
Everything we currently know about Marvel's Avengers
Spider-Man will join Marvel's Avengers roster in early 2021, but only on PlayStation
Marvel's Avengers game DLC: Hawkeye, Spider-Man, Black Panther, and more
Marvel's Avengers - Next Gen Trailer (upgrade coming March 18) - Hawkeye trailer and new deep dive Wartable
Marvel's Avengers | Black Panther Reveal Trailer

49980019783_c593c2bcd8_o.png
Head: David Anfossi
Number of Employees: 500 (2018)

Notable released games:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
Thief (2014)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016)

Archive:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018)

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2021)
Currently working on:

TBA

49980635616_e720eb9ede_o.png
Head: Patrick Naud
Number of Employees: 170 (2021)

Notable released games:
Hitman Go (2014)
Hitman Sniper (2015)
Lara Croft Go (2015)
Deus Ex Go (2016)
Currently working on:

Hitman Sniper: The Shadows

51270765934_9bb38feacc_o.png

Space Invaders
51166182484_ab7e99c64b_o.png

Embracer Group enters into an agreement to acquire Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Square Enix Montréal

Last edited:
Archiving: NEO: The World Ends With You
Archiving: Triangle Strategy
Archiving: Dragon Quest Treasures
Archiving: Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
Archiving: Babylon’s Fall
Archiving: Life Is Strange: True Colors
Archiving: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
Archiving: Forspoken
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

• 11.11.22 Tactics Ogre: Reborn (NSW, PS4, PS5, Win) Algebra Factory, Zereo
  • n/a

OT updated with all this, thanks again!

Only a few more unreleased games to add but other than that I think that should be it.
Ongoing projects seem pretty sparse at the moment. Really feels like the calm before the storm.