• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Final Fantasy world would you like to see return? (2 votes allowed)

• "World of Balance" - Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • "Earth" - Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Gaia - Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 54 23.5%
  • Spira - Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2

Votes: 62 27.0%
  • Vana'diel - Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • Eos - Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Not Ivalice - FFXII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Revenant Wings, FFXIV...

Votes: 59 25.7%

• Total voters

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if Dragon Quest 1 is going to be unlockable in the western release of Dragon Quest XI like it was in Japan?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent idea and OT. There should be an OT for all the major top tier third parties. Shit would be awesome.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Fantastic thread, subscribed!
People like to shit on SE, but they are always one of the most exciting developer.

I mean look at this list:
-Dragon Quest XI (&Switch port later)
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider
-The World Ends With You Remix
-Kingdom Hearts III
-Left Alive
-Final Fantasy VII Remake
-Final Fantasy XV DLCs
-Luminous Studio's New IP
-The Avengers Project
-Guardians of the Galaxy Project
-People Can Fly FPS
-Ni3R
-Babylon's Fall
-Final Fantasy XIV Expansion
-Final Fantasy XVI (supposedly)
-Other Switch dedicated projects

This list alone can compete with 1st party offerings.

Advice for OP:
-Add a list of all the rumored games at the end
-You forgot Yoko Taro's Nier 3.
I just noticed something. That list is pretty crazy but it's even crazier when you realize that Just Cause 4, DQB2 and LiS2 have been left out.

CvEu9PIUIAA5zOW.png

Do we know if Dragon Quest 1 is going to be unlockable in the western release of Dragon Quest XI like it was in Japan?
Couldn't find any news on this but I'm guessing if it's something that gets unlocked with the true ending then it should normally be there?
The fact that in the JP version you got a code after the credits might make this a little tricky though, since we're now dealing with many more online stores and also a new platform.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed something. That list is pretty crazy but it's even crazier when you realize that Just Cause 4, DQB2 and LiS2 have been left out.

CvEu9PIUIAA5zOW.png

Yep, i remembered it after as well but was too lazy to add them lol.

Also, there's the Bravely series team, as well.

Plus SE talked a lot about how they want to make new instalments in older series, especially for the Switch, so who knows how many of those we'll see.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Still don't know what to think of this game, but this is probably the first good trailer it received:

Also big reveal in 3 days:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
SE Montréal section added to OP:

lJ7ZG9H.png
Head: Patrick Naud
Number of Employees: 40 (2016)

Notable released games:

Hitman Go (2014)
Hitman Sniper (2015)
Lara Croft Go (2015)
Deus Ex Go (2016)
Currently working on:

Untitled Mobile game (Existing Square Enix IP)
VMa93jp.png

Last edited:

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is a pretty nifty thread. The next few years of SQX titles will be fairly interesting indeed.

I voted 2020 for FF7e1 because I feel they really want to have it out just before new consoles launch. Depending what angle they take with releasing the remake I feel like the first episode will be the easiest to develop (this is my own assumption that it won't do anything outside of the midgar portion of the game). 2019 seems like a stop gap year for the franchise as a whole, the higher ups decided to spend another few million on more FFXV DLC which will pepper out through the entire year AND given that FFXIV has managed a major update every 2 years , I don't see next year being different. Probably late in the year we'll end up with the third expansion for FFXIV. By 2021 I expect PS5/XB4.0 to be out. Should the FFXVI rumors that have the faithful quite hopeful be true - this is also the earliest I'd see that game releasing. This is only IF half the FFXIV team was indeed working on it in radio silence for a couple years. No idea what form that game would take either. I'm assuming it's a next gen title at this point. Episode 2 of FF7 I feel will be next gen only and won't be out until 2022 at some point. As well, somewhere that year I'd expect the 4th expansion of FFXIV, probably spring. The last part of FF7 (assuming 3 episodes) will come out by 2024. FFXVI may well end up with a DLC /sequel thing within 2 years of it's own launch as well. Finally the Luminous studios game is probably 5 years off as of right now, best case scenario : 2023 -2025 is when I'd expect that one. Not sure if /when we'll get a Dragon Quest XII but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the switch port of XI gets shitcanned in favor of a new exclusive sequel. As well, keeping in tune with the 2 years per FFXIV expansion thing , I'd hazard a guess that the last one (expansion 5) will be 2024. A third FFonline game will probably come out by 2026 just as we switch another hardware generation... that is IF FFXVI isn't just FFonline 3.

I'm just rambling out my own speculation over here. The only really big game I can think of not mention in my first paragraph is probably that Avengers title and I honestly don't know what's going on with that. I get the feeling it's a troubled project that's years off still.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

This and the LiS2 reveal make today a busy day for SE. Here are the timers on case someone wants to make a new thread:

JC4 gameplay world premiere:
t1534777200z4.png

LiS2 reveal:
t1534795200z4.png

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just throwing my 2 cents in terms of expectatons:

Left Alive Summer
FF 7 Re 1 Fall

Babylon's Fall Winter
Ni3R (last-gen) Spring
Dragon Quest XII (follow-up to XI, reused assets) JP Summer
PCF FPS (cross-gen) Fall
FF XVI (cross-gen) Fall

Tabata's New IP (next-gen) Spring
Marvel's Avengers (next-gen) Summer
FF 7 Re 2 (last-gen) Fall

For the Switch i expect the following from here to 2020
Older FF ports
Bravely Default I&II HD
Bravely Third / BD Spritual successor
TWEWY 2
New Mana mainline title
FF Crystal Chronicles

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I just want SE Montreal to get those Tomb Raider and Avengers games out so that they can focus on their real mission, which is Deus Ex.

Reveal - Life is Strange 2
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
DONTNOD section updated

dyyOjEL.png

Previous collaborations:
Life Is Strange (2015)
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (2018)

Currently working on:

Life Is Strange 2
OAPL3Vf.png

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I just want SE Montreal to get those Tomb Raider and Avengers games out so that they can focus on their real mission, which is Deus Ex.
You're blaming the wrong games (and studio, SE Montreal and Eidos Montreal are different studios). Avengers is Crystal Dynamics, with Eidos Montreal providing support (like they did on TR 2013 and RotTR), and Shadow of the Tomb Raider is being made by a different team at Eidos Montreal (presumably mostly made up of the Thief team). Based on what we've heard, the Deus Ex team is meant to be working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game next.

Personally, I hope they give Deus Ex to a different developer. Hearing that Deus Ex was originally meant to be continued by Obsidian after HR before plans changed was heartbreaking.

Jan 11, 2018
Great overview of all the business divisions! Great for showing people who jump to illogical conclusions about how the company working on a specific project is a waste of resources because they assume it's at the expense of another game they're more interested in.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I voted 2020 for FF7e1 because I feel they really want to have it out just before new consoles launch. Depending what angle they take with releasing the remake I feel like the first episode will be the easiest to develop (this is my own assumption that it won't do anything outside of the midgar portion of the game).

I'm going with Spring 2021 as a cross-gen launch game for the PS5.

Don't forget Twin Mirror. They're working on both.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely incredible thread and great resource for people wondering who is working on what within Square-Enix. Thanks for this. Really puts in perspective how much they're working on.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I wonder when we'll see something from this

Thanks for this. It's a way better artwork than the one I was using for the game's banner, so I changed it. It reminds me a bit of some the Shroud zones in FFXIV which I fricking love.
Also updated the news section with that job posting article. It's rather new.

SE seem to have adopted a hush hush approach for any project that's not releasing in the current fiscal year.
Hoping they'll pull a Capcom and reveal this one a few months before release.

Edit:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Square Enix Announce PAX West 2018 Line-Up

Square Enix announced the line-up they have planned for PAX West. Fans can look forward to playable games, giveaways, developer panels and events at PAX West.

Playable demos at Square Enix:

• Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  • Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
  • Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Life is Strange 2
  • Mobius Final Fantasy
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Star Ocean: Anamnesis
  • The Quiet Man
  • Check out members of the talented FINAL FANTASY® XV modding community as they create mods for FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION live on the show floor
EXPANDING THE LIFE IS STRANGE UNIVERSE
Friday, August 31, 12:00 PM, Wyvern Theater
Join writer Christian Divine and key figures from the LIFE IS STRANGE 2development team as they take you behind the scenes of their most ambitious game in the series to date. Discover how they apply the core concepts of the LIFE IS STRANGE franchise to bring the relatable characters and realistic environments in the LIFE IS STRANGE Universe to life. Learn how they tackle the challenges of telling a branching story of education and brotherhood within an evolving episodic narrative adventure.

LIFE IS STRANGE 2 FAN MEET UP PARTY with What's Good Games
Friday, August 31 from 6:00 – 9:00 PM at Unicorn 1118 E. Pike Street
Relax at PAX with the team from What's Good Games and developers from DONTNOD Entertainment to celebrate the upcoming launch of the first episode of LIFE IS STRANGE 2. Share your favorite moments from the series, enjoy refreshments and a chance to win games, SQUARE ENIX prizes and custom What's Good Games items. For additional information about the event visit: https://www.facebook.com/WhatsGoodGames/.

JUST CAUSE 4 SHOWCASE
Saturday, September 1, 11:30 AM, Hydra Theater
Join key members of the JUST CAUSE 4™ development team – Avalanche Studios – as they talk exclusively about the next game in the hugely popular, multi-million selling JUST CAUSE series. Set in the fictional South American world of Solis, JUST CAUSE 4 takes the incredible destruction and unique physics the series is known for to a whole new level with the introduction of fully simulated tornadoes and other Extreme Weather events. Rico Rodriguez returns in JUST CAUSE 4 with his trademark parachute, wingsuit and, of course his grappling hook, now enhanced with new functionality and fully customisable, making it the most powerful and creative tool the player has ever had.

SHADOW OF THE TOMB RAIDER – Uncovering the Hidden City of Paititi
Saturday, September 1, 4;30 PM, Wyvern Theater
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is filled with many surprises and secrets. Perhaps the biggest discovery Lara Croft® will make is the hidden city of Paititi, a civilization untouched by modern culture and the largest hub ever created in a Tomb Raider® game. Moderated by Andrea Rene, join the team behind Lara Croft's defining moment as she becomes the Tomb Raider. The panel will feature Dan Chayer-Bisson (Game Director), Mario Chabtini (Senior Producer), and Rich Briggs (Senior Brand Director).

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to what BD11 will do!

Thank you for making this thread. Although I knew the numbering of their divisions I just realized how big SE's development muscle is.

And I have to say, wow, those banners are beautiful. Loving how classy the black/white frames look with the pieces of artwork you used.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the Square Enix lineup on TGS will be and if they'll announce something there.

Also, I believe that The World Ends with you is BD3.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Don't know if they will announce anything. I think they want to get closer of the release date for their games before telling something. And it's a good idea.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh do we know what will happen to BD2 after the release of FFXV DLCs? Because it seems a large chunk of the team is in Luminous Studio now.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh do we know what will happen to BD2 after the release of FFXV DLCs? Because it seems a large chunk of the team is in Luminous Studio now.
Still no official word on that. Maybe they're gonna fill up BD2 with a new team or maybe not everybody moved to Luminous Productions and those who stayed will continue as BD2?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have confirmation that BD2 still exists? I took the Luminous announcement to mean that BD2 has been renamed to luminous.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any chance Babylon's Fall shows up at TGS this year? My expectations are through the roof for this game, I need some gameplay, dammit!

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even have confirmation that BD2 still exists? I took the Luminous announcement to mean that BD2 has been renamed to luminous.
Not just renamed - on paper Luminous Productions is its own company, but still owned by SE. We don't know what happens with BD2. Could just be refilled or merged with other BDs (like BD8 was merged with BD9 into BD8 and BD11 with BD12 into the new BD9 last year).

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is it possible BD2 create a new team with the DLCs directors and develop a new game with the Luminous Engine? But as you said Koozek, they could merge with an another team. We will have some news after the end of DLCs production I think.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Do people honestly expect FFVIIR in 2020?

I may be getting my hopes up but haven't they always said they want to get KH3 out before fully showing FF7? I think Fall/Winter 2019 release isn't out the picture just yet. It been worked on for years and it is still episodic.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible BD2 create a new team with the DLCs directors and develop a new game with the Luminous Engine? But as you said Koozek, they could merge with an another team. We will have some news after the end of DLCs production I think.
The problem is that they only have enough devs for 1 AAA game at a time. Recruiting HD devs is becoming increasingly more difficult, especially in Japan.
Yeah, they were already struggling with finding enough hires for FFVIIR.
Tetsuya Nomura: I believe that many of us developers share the same feeling that Final Fantasy VII is a special title.

Twenty years have gone by and the number of generations that aren't familiar with Final Fantasy VII is increasing, so we must remake the game using today's technology and systems in order to make it into a title that can last several more decades.

Reproducing the world of Final Fantasy VII in high-definition requires an extraordinary amount of time and resources, so we'll need all the help we can get to shorten that.

As those of you concerned with the industry may already know, the number of domestic staff is significantly lower compared to that of foreign high-definition developers. Therefore, in order to further strengthen the development of this title, we must urgently recruit as much staff as possible.

Source.

Who knows, maybe the few remaining BD2 staff members who didn't join Luminous (if there are any) will merge with BD1 to help out on FFVIIR?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Do people honestly expect FFVIIR in 2020?

I may be getting my hopes up but haven't they always said they want to get KH3 out before fully showing FF7? I think Fall/Winter 2019 release isn't out the picture just yet. It been worked on for years and it is still episodic.
Late 2019/Early 2020 seems realistic to me. In the recent financial report they were expecting a huge spike in income for the fiscal year from April 2019 to April 2020, which I assume is either because of FFVIIR and/or Avengers:

elXm4sP.png

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Late 2019/Early 2020 seems realistic to me. In the recent financial report they were expecting a huge spike in income for the fiscal year from April 2019 to April 2020, which I assume is either because of FFVIIR and/or Avengers:

elXm4sP.png
Yeah late 2019 is my guess. They know fans have waited long enough. Square knows they take the piss with releases and development times and they've said they'll fix it. I'm hoping they keep their word.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably Avengers.
If theyre still planning on revealing it this year we might see it at TGA.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's possible that BD2 becomes a mid-budget tier in the meantime while they shore up staff. it would make them the first mid-budget console team internally at SE