• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Final Fantasy world would you like to see return? (2 votes allowed)

• "World of Balance" - Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 60 26.1%
  • "Earth" - Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Gaia - Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 54 23.5%
  • Spira - Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2

Votes: 62 27.0%
  • Vana'diel - Final Fantasy XI

Votes: 38 16.5%
  • Eos - Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Not Ivalice - FFXII, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Revenant Wings, FFXIV...

Votes: 59 25.7%

• Total voters

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Changed my vote for FF VII remake to 2021. Latest developments about Tabata, Luminous Production focus, and Nomura as usual being vague don't give me confidence at all in Square Enix ability to deliver it within 2020.

Tabata and Luminous has nothing to do with FF7R's development though. And everything is being focused on KH3 now, that's why we aren't going to hear about FF7R until after.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Changed my vote for FF VII remake to 2021. Latest developments about Tabata, Luminous Production focus, and Nomura as usual being vague don't give me confidence at all in Square Enix ability to deliver it within 2020.
I don't think so. I remember Square Enix said after FFXV their business strategy is to release a big title every year. 2019 is KH3. 2020 is... ??? Has to be FF Versus XIII.
FWIW, their financial reports hint at something big dropping between April 2019 and April 2020:

In last year's financial report SE showed it as part of the games that were supposed to be released in the next three years or so:
This slide shows our release lineup for FY2017/3 as well as for FY2018/3 and beyond. We plan to launch each of these upcoming titles in the next three years or so.

R3OEXRy.png

In this year's report they showed that they're expecting a huge spike in income between April 2019 and April 2020, which I imagine can only be FFVIIR and/or Avengers:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Maybe Nomura is partly at fault for probably being too inexperienced with this type/scale of outsourcing but he didn't necessarily have much say in going with that approach and couldn't have predicted they'd run into whatever issues they ran into with that, so laying all the blame on him isn't necessarily right either.

I don't lay all the blame on him at all, and generally speaking I've enjoyed many of the games he's worked on. S-E is a large organization so it's impossible for one person to be the root cause of repeated production problems. I think he deserves a break from being the whipping boy of fans which was what I was trying to say. Let him make something of the size and scope of TWEWY next.

OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Obviously the OP will soon be updated with the latest news, however grim they may be.
God Ishiro it never ceases to amaze me the solid work you put into this thread.

Out of interest, are BDs generally shown in the credits to games? Can we see who's World of FF Maxima was done by?
You get your ass back in Discord, you monster.
I thought BD3 was behind the game.
It's most probably the case but, just like Jack said, I'll wait until the ending credits are available to move Maxima to BD3.
There are none for now, but I found a few playthroughs so it shouldn't take long.
Trying to help with the Square Enix Collective section (Ishiro):
mW29WF5.png

Info: "Essentially, we're trying to help small teams build awareness of their ideas, and ultimately self-publish."
Head of Indie Development: Phil Elliott
Launch: 2014
Projects: Circa. 167 publicly archived projects
Website

Notable SE published games that used SE Collective:
  • Forgotten Anne (2018)
  • The Turing Test (2016)
  • TBC
Notable games that used SE Collective:
  • Moonlighter (2018)
  • Ultimate Chicken Horse (2017)
  • TBC
Thanks a lot! I will gladly use your banner, although for consistency's sake I will have to tweak the informative part a bit. Thanks again.
Ishiro will remember this

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Avengers is the 2020 big release
That one might be further away, but I haven't personally followed its development much. See Nirolak's recent posts:
They seemed to reboot the game at some point, so it might be a while.
So to give more context here, basically the following timeline happened:
  • In January 2017, Crystal Dynamics announced they were working on a new Avengers game, and made some statements implying they have been working on it for a year or more.
  • The job postings around then described the game as a third person cover shooter.
  • Eventually, they really started talking up how it would be a game you play for years, started hiring a whole bunch of senior positions, and changed all references to third person cover shooting to instead be for action-adventure games in general
  • They also notably increased references to having a whole bunch of different things in the game, and having both postings for things like "producer for singleplayer campaign" while also having "make super ambitious online games with many modes and campaigns that take into account the implications of shared gameplay".
  • They also started added positions about overseeing external game designers. Now, this could just be for Eidos Montreal, but that seems somewhat implausible given Eidos Montreal had been on the project from the beginning and they had worked together for years on Tomb Raider. I'm guess they might have additional partner studios in the mix.
  • Crystal Dynamics also opened up a new studio in Washington State so they could hire a bunch more people because hiring in the Bay Area is prohibitively expensive.
  • Crystal Dynamics has also, in the last 4-12 months, hired people ranging from one of the lead combat designers of God of War 2018 and the game director of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to fill very senior positions on the team like Lead Combat Designer and Creative Director, which are odd positions to hire 3+ years into a project.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel Games' Senior Producer, Eric Monacelli, seemingly teased something Marvel Games related yesterday. Lot of people are thinking Avengers Project.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Why would KH be shelved after 3?

Not shelved, just...allowed to rest for a bit. KH has actually been a big deal this gen not only because of 3, but because they re-released all the other games onto PS4. KH has been a major part of Square's plans this gen, and 3's the end of the first big saga. So you give it a while, maybe let that division work on something else for a bit, then come back to it.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
That one might be further away, but I haven't personally followed its development much. See Nirolak's recent posts:
Marvel Games' Senior Producer, Eric Monacelli, seemingly teased something Marvel Games related yesterday. Lot of people are thinking Avengers Project.

To be clear, they do keep insisting they're making "lots of progress" on the game every time they make a major hiring announcement (which is kind of an odd assertion to keep making, so I do wonder if the dev community has the same impression I do, haha), and if they're not actually changing that much despite these big role hirings, it's possible they're not actually that far out.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, they do keep insisting they're making "lots of progress" on the game every time they make a major hiring announcement (which is kind of an odd assertion to keep making, so I do wonder if the dev community has the same impression I do, haha), and if they're not actually changing that much despite these big role hirings, it's possible they're not actually that far out.
You think that big income spike for SE's next fiscal year could be Avengers and/or FFVIIR-1?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
You think that big income spike for SE's next fiscal year could be Avengers and/or FFVIIR-1?
Well, assuming the spike still exists, I think it's much more likely to be Avengers than FF7R.

Avengers seems slated to be a heavy service game, so if they have to delay anything about it, it's much easier to ship that extra stuff with Avengers post launch than it is to do that with FF7R, which I suspect will be one of their last big AAA games without a notable service component.

For example, maybe they decide they changed enough that they can't get PvP out at launch. Well, that's okay, it can come later a la Ghost Recon. I'm not sure FF7 has things like that to cut from the scope.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Well, assuming it still exists, I think it's much more likely to be Avengers than FF7R.

Avengers also seems slated to be a heavy service game, so if they have to delay anything about it, it's much easier to ship that extra stuff with Avengers post launch than it is to do that with FF7R, which I suspect will be one of their last big AAA games without a notable service component.

For example, maybe they decide they changed enough that they can't get PvP out at launch. Well, that's okay, it can come later a la Ghost Recon. I'm not sure FF7 has things like that to cut from the scope.
Hm, I see. Well, I personally hope it's FFVIIR - don't care for Avengers. I would've thought late 2019/early 2020 should be realistic for FFVIIR's first part.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I see. Well, I personally hope it's FFVIIR - don't care for Avengers. I would've thought late 2019/early 2020 should be realistic for FFVIIR's first part.
I feel the other major hang-up is that they noted they needed to do a whole bunch of hiring for BD1 in order to be able to make FF7 after they took over the project from CC2, and it's not clear how much of CC2's work they kept.

Comparatively, Crystal Dynamics has always had all their staff available for this, plus lots of outsourcing partners, and even 50 staff from Eidos Montreal that were helping. They even just got the option to take over most of the Tomb Raider team to help as well, given Square Enix has been signaling that we're probably not seeing another one of those anytime soon.

Now, that's not to say it's impossible, but I am a bit skeptical.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the intense amount of work , research and coordination that went into this thread. Thanks OP/contributors!
Neat to see how it's all broken down.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Lol I wish, but it's probably too late for that. The Game Awards do look likely though.
It'll be interesting to see who ends up with the marketing deal for Avengers. On the one hand, Crystal Dynamics only develops for Xbox and all the ports to other systems are done by Nixxes. On the other, Sony has a very strong relationship with Disney Interactive, and Marvel Games in particular, which has scored them the Spider-Man license and the marketing deals for Battlefront, Battlefront 2 and Disney Infinity.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see who ends up with the marketing deal for Avengers. On the one hand, Crystal Dynamics only develops for Xbox and all the ports to other systems are done by Nixxes. On the other, Sony has a very strong relationship with Disney Interactive, and Marvel Games in particular, which has scored them the Spider-Man license and the marketing deals for Battlefront, Battlefront 2 and Disney Infinity.
Xbox definitely needs something like Avengers. Not as an exclusive, but for marketing.

I don't think Marvel wants to be only associated with Sony, so they will probably lean towards Microsoft.

Announcement - Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
New expansion added to BD5's section:

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
PAvZMQ2.png

For those that missed it, here are a few other updates. Some of them will be added to the OP:

1-
KH3 updates:
KINGDOM HEARTS III – Winnie the Pooh Trailer
Kingdom Hearts III - Actors from Big Hero 6 reprise their roles!

2-
Just Cause 4 updates:
9 New Things In Just Cause 4 - IGN First
Just Cause 4 - Deep Dive Trailer

3-
Left Alive update:
Left Alive – The Survivors | PS4

4-
Final Fantasy X's Yuna coming to Dissidia FF NT & new stage announced

5-
FFXIII trilogy arrives on XB1 BC 11/13 (X enhanced in 4K)

You can also check LukarWuff's excellent OT here:
Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy (Xbox One BC) |OT| She Was Not Forgotten

Finally, the next post will be made to archive WoFF Maxima (the upgrade turned out to cost $15 by the way, LiquidSolid), so sorry in advance for double posting.

Last edited:
Archiving - World of Final Fantasy: Maxima
OP
OP
Ishiro

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. Does Square pop up at Jump Festa with more KH stuff, or will they start looking at some of their other titles?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah. But I still think Sony dropping outta E3 affects FF7R and other games being shown as a lock. Now its a MAYBE if FF7R will be at like Tokyo Game Show or something

It's almost a guarantee that Sony will hold some kind of event next year even if it isn't E3 specifically. Square can also show off the game themselves since it's their own IP.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's almost a guarantee that Sony will hold some kind of event next year even if it isn't E3 specifically. Square can also show off the game themselves since it's their own IP.

This exactly. It's ridiculous to think that Square isn't going to market their next big flagship title that is slated to be released (Avengers aside).

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Hmm I forgot to put this in my watched threads and I completely forgot about it. Sorry Ishiro. I know you put a lot of work into this. orz

The last time when Square's games was magical . They have lost touch with it and I've no faith that they can reproduce the magic anymore .

Absolutely astounding to me that someone can look over all the interesting new and upcoming content in the OP and think "yeah, this all sucks."

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Yeah. But I still think Sony dropping outta E3 affects FF7R and other games being shown as a lock. Now its a MAYBE if FF7R will be at like Tokyo Game Show or something

I'm wondering if FF7R skips PS4/XO or becomes a cross-gen title. We've seen this song and dance before with XV/VS13 and KH3. However, Sony not being at E3 doesn't bar S-E from attending, and given that FF is currently a bigger franchise outside of Japan it would be weird if they intentionally held off showing anything until TGS.

Absolutely astounding to me that someone can look over all the interesting new and upcoming content in the OP and think "yeah, this all sucks."

Not to mention the great titles they had on DS and 3DS

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's quite difficult for FFVIIR to be a cross-gen title, do you really think it'll be out by 2020? I personally think it won't.

Unless there's a screw up on the level we saw with FFvsXIII, they're not going to discard 3 years of work on a game that's supposedly having a steady development, to suddenly shift everything to next gen only. It's absolutely going to come out on current gen consoles.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

Every time they've shown the game it's been under Sony first, Square second. Even at E3 Sony got the first showing. So it's safe to assume the next you're seeing VII:R is at a Sony event.

I'm wondering if FF7R skips PS4/XO or becomes a cross-gen title. We've seen this song and dance before with XV/VS13 and KH3. However, Sony not being at E3 doesn't bar S-E from attending, and given that FF is currently a bigger franchise outside of Japan it would be weird if they intentionally held off showing anything until TGS.

Not to mention the great titles they had on DS and 3DS

FFVII:R isn't even announced or confirmed for X1. It's just PS4. But it's probably PS4\PS5.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Every time they've shown the game it's been under Sony first, Square second. Even at E3 Sony got the first showing. So it's safe to assume the next you're seeing VII:R is at a Sony event.

They've showed the game twice in the same year at a Sony event cause most people associate FF7 with Sony and both times were good opportunities to show the game off. This game has been shown off at other events non related to Sony such as the Magic event in FEB not in terms of video but actual screenshots from the game. This game will guaranteed be a multi platform game and have similar marketing/pr strategy as KH3 which means it will be shown off everywhere. There is no evidence or proof that Sony has some kind of exclusive rights on marketing for this game. When it's time to market this game, you will see it everywhere.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
They've showed the game twice in the same year at a Sony event cause most people associate FF7 with Sony and both times were good opportunities to show the game off. This game has been shown off at other events non related to Sony such as the Magic event in FEB not in terms of video but actual screenshots from the game. This game will guaranteed be a multi platform game and have similar marketing/pr strategy as KH3 which means it will be shown off everywhere. There is no evidence or proof that Sony has some kind of exclusive rights that FF7 can only be shown off at their event. When it's time to market this game, you will see it everywhere.

Everything you just said is all assumption and conjecture from you. Nothing is factual and the game isn't guaranteed in anything you said. There is absolutely evidence and proof with facts stating otherwise to your assumptions. Sony has shown the game at their event each time whenever they've had an event. Whenever there's been new substantial information, it's been shown at a Sony event. Even back at E3 when they revealed it at their conference first despite Square having a conference. Not to mention the game is "First on PS4" They clearly have exclusive rights and Sony is heavily involved with marketing and promotion and who knows what else, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Everything you said is all assumption and conjecture from you. Nothing is factual and the game isn't guaranteed anything you said. There is absolutely evidence and actual proof and facts. Sony has shown the game at their event each time whenever they've had an event. Whenever there's been new substantial information, it's been shown at a Sony event. Even E3 when they showed it at their E3 first despite Square having a conference. Has nothing to do with FFVII and Sony, which is obvious that's part of it, but it's clear they have control over it. Adam Boys mentioned how Square came to them that they were remaking the game and they started planning the whole E3 reveal since then. Not to mention the game is "First on PS4" They clearly have exclusive rights and Sony is heavily involved with marketing and promotion and who knows what else, so I don't know what you're talking about.

You are ignoring the fact that the game was shown off at a non Sony related event.

EDIT: I have read all the information you have edited and already know that. That information also heavily implies that Square is going to publish the game themselves since they were the ones reaching out to Sony. I don't get why you would think it will be impossible for Square to show off the game by themselves.

Last edited:

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
You are ignoring the fact that the game was shown off at a non Sony related event.

https://kotaku.com/keeping-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-and-shenmue-iii-se-1712587923

Adam Boyes, head of third-party developer relations at PlayStation, told me at E3 that he's known about Square's Final Fantasy VII remake for a year. It was a fun secret to keep.

"Our publishers take us through their slates," he said, recalling a meeting with Square from earlier last year. "When he said 'FFVII remake', I said, 'uhhh excuse me'? At first, I assumed it was the PC one, the PC one wasn't a remake.

"They said: 'We're doing the full one.'

"I was like: 'Uh that's going to melt people's brains. I can't wait for that moment and we had it on Monday.'"

Sony officials knew about the forthcoming remake for about a year, well before the notorious December announcement of the port of the PC port of the original FFVII to PS4. What was supposed to be a fun announcement about the polished PC version of the '97 PSOne classic coming to PS4 became a moment of dashed expectations. Final Fantasy producer Shinji Hashimoto at appeared on stage at the big PlayStation Experience fan event, started introducing something FFVII-related to suddenly-shocked fans... only to then reveal that he was just talking about a PC port, not the long-demanded remake. Fans in the audience seemed bummed. Teased, maybe. Trolled, perhaps. It was unintentional, Boyes said. "You learn with these things."

Boyes describes the FFVII remake project as a "partnership" with Square. He's not saying if they are helping fund it or really what the partnership entails, just that the game is that it is making its console debut on PlayStation 4 first.

---

FFVII:R is a partnership with Sony and Square, which Boyes clearly states. So it's not surprising that whenever it's been shown in a substantial way or with a trailer, it's always been at a Sony event.