• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the original had chibi models.

It would be like expecting Barret and Tifa to merge into Cloud just because that's what the party system was like in the original.
It's an important part of his character, it's not just hardware limitations. That's why he does another flip into the train car after escaping from the Shinra soldiers in the bridge. It's not unnecessary if the story actually plays into it, which it does. It's part of his entire character arc.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It will probably be one of these:
  • Rufus Shinra
  • JENOVA
  • Sephiroth
It would be weird to have Seph or Jenova as the final since they should be long gone from the city at that point. Rufus I could see, but I'm thinking it will be the new soldier guy. Or maybe Rufus on the tower, soldier guy before the motorcycle chase, then Rufus and soldier guy tag team on the highway, Rufus being dropped off by a heli and soldier cycling in.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching it again I LOVE all the subtle changes they made to Midgar, like how there are gaps between the plates where you can see the slums, and how there are a ton of platforms and catwalks and lights added around the central Shinra building, so it looks even more like the huge energy refinery that it supposed to be. Totally faithful but just another layer of detail.

Would you prefer a none flippy version?

Damn it's insane how much better the current version looks

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Neat little GIF showing the difference between E3 2019's version of the intro and this latest one:

uKHp1Q6.gif

(source)

I like the latest version a lot more, though I do prefer the lighting in the E3 version more for the latter two shots.
Aerith's chin definitely got nerfed there.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gonna wait now. Seen enough to know ill buy it. Have completed the original a few times and it's clearly very well made . Saving myself for it

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will add Cloud's flashback in this game rather than waiting for the next one. Is something that can be easily implemented on Midgar and narratively speaking makes sense for new players to better grasp Sephiroth motivations.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if they will add Cloud's flashback in this game rather than waiting for the next one. Is something that can be easily implemented on Midgar and narratively speaking makes sense for new players to better grasp Sephiroth motivations.
They might, but I think it would be a perfect opener for the second part, especially if they try and fit the whole search for Sephiroth arc into the it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be a shame. The flashback would be the perfect intro sequence for the second part.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
The Kalm flashback is too perfect as a cold open to part 2. However I do think that some of the exposition will get split and moved jnto part 1. The down time when your jailed in Shinra tower seems a logical place to touch on Seph a bit.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Kalm flashback is too perfect as a cold open to part 2. However I do think that some of the exposition will get split and moved jnto part 1. The down time when your jailed in Shinra tower seems a logical place to touch on Seph a bit.
You are a genius. Kalm flashback to start part two would be epic

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Going to refrain from watching it until the game actually comes out.

That said for folks who have already witnessed it, is it pre-rendered or "in-engine"?

nofxboy1234

Nov 8, 2017
I've also been wondering if the opening movie is pre-rendered or in UE4. It's beautiful. Is there any info on this out there?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
There was blog post where they very heavily hinted at adding a new final boss.

Link to the blog post
Oh cool, thanks for that! Something to get us excited, huh? Guess it's gonna be Sephiroth based on the trailers and, well, the fact that he's on the box art (well, for the steelbook anyway) and whatnot.
It will probably be one of these:
  • Rufus Shinra
  • JENOVA
  • Sephiroth
Rufus would be an interesting choice and kinda fitting given that this first installment will only cover Midgar, and by extension, Shinra. I can't imagine it being an exciting fight though. The latter two, those make sense.
Oh man, I'd love it if they did a cold open with the Kalm flashback for the next game. More info on Sephiroth for this first installment makes perfect sense, so I could see that happening.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely love the transition from the reactor to aerith and using mako particles instead of stars. Brilliant and it gave me some serious goosebumps. Aerith is gorgeous, the city looks gorgeous, everything looks so damn good.

Are we 100% sure the story is fully contained within Midgar? No chance we get to escape the city for a minute before it ends? Nibelheim ending? Would be one of the biggest surprises in games industry history imo.

May 26, 2018
Aerith's chin definitely got nerfed there.

Her whole lower face got shorter. Which is a shame, I thought the first pass, cat lips aside, was closer to Nomura's concept art. Now she's getting rounded off and losing contrast lol

ah well. I was unhappy about a couple of the changes made to Cloud too, but whatever. It is what it is.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Not entirely sure why people feel this opening has spoilers. There's really nothing about it that spoils things and I watched it just fine. If you played the original it'll make you really happy.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I finally got around to checking this out and it while it does not really show anything new it still looks fantastic. I am excited for it's release on PS4 but I am really looking forward to the inevitable PC release somewhere down the road, this game is really going to be something on PC...

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
At 1:39 there is a shot of the little girl looking up and seeing the reactor 5. How is that possible? The view on reactor 5 from the park (being in the slums of sector 6) would be obstructed by the sector 5 plate, no?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
At 1:39 there is a shot of the little girl looking up and seeing the reactor 5. How is that possible? The view on reactor 5 from the park (being in the slums of sector 6) would be obstructed by the sector 5 plate, no?
There's been some speculation on that. General consensus seems to be that it's not actually the same park, because it looks less run down, and that it's probably an upper plate park using some mass produced playground equipment. It's definitely confusing though.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
There's been some speculation on that. General consensus seems to be that it's not actually the same park, because it looks less run down, and that it's probably an upper plate park using some mass produced playground equipment. It's definitely confusing though.
I know what you mean, the iconic cat-moogle slider being quite the same and then somehow being standard playground equipment would struck me as most confusing.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. It's a different park.
and also
2. This is a reimagining so they can change stuff if they want to. It would not be an inconsistency.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
1. It's a different park.
and also
2. This is a reimagining so they can change stuff if they want to. It would not be an inconsistency.

Random theory: the park equipment is mass produced so several parks have similar looking stuff like the cat / bear head, and the park in the slums uses scrapped equipment formerly used in demolished parks from the surface.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am once again asking for a demo.
I think it will be around the original release date when we see the demo.

The games marketing is starting to pick up now. Got a new trailer 17 days ago, the opening last Friday and we know the media got to play 3 or 4 hours last week.

Hopefully impressions will be out this week.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
This opening movie, if nothing else, confirms that we'll be going to new areas on the plate. They wouldn't include it in the opening movie unless it is relevant to the new story they are telling.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree at all. When he regains his true personality, we see that he becomes more open, more sincere and shows us he's way more goofy that he tried to look. There's a wonderful scene on the highwind with Yuffie in which he talks about how much he gets sick, just like her and is totally opposite of his usual stern look that Nomura likes him to portray him so much in AC. The actual Cloud is way more clumsy, goofy that his fake personality, something that the late game and even sometimes before, shows quite well.

What's more he totally places his trust on his friends to save the world, even if he considers it like his 'mission', he's glad he has his companions with him before entering the crater. Not only he becomes way more open about himself, even about his weaknesses, he learns to become dependant and perfectly understands he's not the perfect soldier he dreamed to become. He learns he needs others to succeed.

Then AC throws all that for the window, there's no sign of his actual personality in the movie, none of his more affective side, none of his more clumsy side, none of his more dependant side, he becomes his glorified super soldier image from the first half of the original game and never goes back. That's not a good character arc, that's shitting on everything that made your character relatable for the 'emo' image people built around him.

KH's Cloud edgelord and AC's Cloud is basically the same character. Everything you wrote about AC Cloud can be, literally, be transcribed to KH's Cloud. Nomura's Gackt era destroyed the character forever.
Cloud 5 years ago was still the guy that was too ashamed to show his face to Tifa and blaming himself for everything. After regaining his true personality he became less cocksure and more open, but he was still driven by his emotions. He would have gone after Sephiroth alone but his friends surprised him and returned. The vibe was "this time I won't be a failure and save everyone!"

Advent Children takes place after Cloud failed once again to save the ones he cares about. That failure confirmed his doubts and made him despair. Not only is he dying, which that alone would drive anyone to depression, his failure has doomed most of if not the whole human race to a slow and painful demise. But he also distances himself from his friends because he doesn't want them to know that he has Geostigma or how dire the situation is. If they saw him depressed and dying they'd lose hope.

KH Cloud is not the same because he has no character development. He just mopes about how he gave in to his inner darkness and Sephiroth is a manifestation of his darkness. He comes across more like Vincent both in character and design with the clawed hand and bandages. Darkness darkness darkness.

It's Sector 5. The Reactor to the left of the park is Reactor 5, meaning the Sector they are in is Sector 5. The Sector 8 sign is probably for the highway or train.
Random theory: the park equipment is mass produced so several parks have similar looking stuff like the cat / bear head, and the park in the slums uses scrapped equipment formerly used in demolished parks from the surface.
Reeve is in charge of urban development, and of course he likes cats. He cares about the people, so the park in the slums is likely a plan by him to develop the slums. The Park is in Sector 6 Slums, so maybe it was also a way to clean up the area after the Sector 6 Plate was destroyed by Zirconiade

Last edited:

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
People are way off about Advent Children.

Cloud's true personality even in the first game is one of self-doubt. He refused to play with the other kids because he thought he was better than them, but really he was just afraid of getting close to others. He had a crush on Tifa; and after failing to save her from falling to her almost death he blamed himself and decided to join SOLDIER to become someone she could rely on. But he failed to make it into SOLDIER and hid from Tifa out of shame.

Even after regaining his true personality, he continues to blame himself for everything that's happening and apologizes and considers it a personal matter to save the world.

In Advent Children, we find that Cloud failed to save the world. He stopped Sephiroth and Meteor, but a lot of people have developed a terminal illness as a result. Cloud is also dying from this illness, as is his adopted son. Cloud blames himself and tries to find a cure while distancing himself from those he loves out of shame and to keep them from seeing him at a low point and losing hope. Him being depressed in that situation follows FF7 very well.

It feels like people want to conflate KH's edgelord Cloud with Advent Children's portrayal.
rewatching advent children with this perspective i think his characterisation is a lot better than i remember. watching it immediately after finishing vii it all feels a lot more coherent