• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I get what they're doing in the first half, but it feels incredibly heavy handed and fanservicey. Especially the repeated inclusion of
Estuans Interius
throughout.

The second half is great though.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Genuinely seems an odd thing to release 6 weeks out in context of everything, but looks great

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
People holding out on watching this shouldn't feel that they need to. It's like 3-4 minutes of panning establishing shots and then 60 seconds of pretty much shot-for-shot remake of the original. There's no new information here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man, I lapsed on my FFVII appreciation over all these years but this impending release is really bringing the hype back and I'm seriously being swept into a huge current of nostalgia I didn't even think I was still capable of. Like, what deep recess of my mind was all of this hiding in???

Damn I'm so hyped.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I knew something was different the moment I saw Aerith. They got rid of the cat lips and they shrunk her chin.
aerithcomparison.jpg
much better. The cat lip was one thing that was bothering me with her CG..

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Makes me insanely nostalgic and I don't even have that big of an emotional connection to the original.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Opening that way is eminently inferior to the iconic opening shot of the original game. The rest I had already seen in the leaked demo so it's whatevz.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
That opening looks exactly like I wanted and imagined. I can't wait for 2 more months :(

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The the whole thing, specially the music, put me right back to the first time I played this. They nailed it

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
The transition to Aerith looked like 2 different scenes stitched together.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I hate that they did this cause I won't be able to hold out, I'll have to watch it. Should have just released a demo. Is there a Japanese language version with subtitles at least?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
That's a neat opening but I do prefer the original as this is kind of a weirdly constructed establishing scene. Even so I think it's right and correct to make these sorts of changes. Also that's the upper plate CG some of saw in GC.

I don't really like the music choice though.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that the daytime sections of the upper plate look like the slums? Or like Advent Children Midgar? I feel like that's a huge misstep in atmosphere, because we rarely saw the upper plate and here it just looks so brown and grey.

Also missed opportunity to have the cries of the planet like in the original before showing Aeris' face. I loved that long pan with the stars before they faded to her face.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

Hopefully there really is a demo coming, because I'm not sold on this yet.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just noticed Aeris and Sephiroth have the same eye shape and colour. I suppose it makes sense when you consider the story but never noticed it till now.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

Hopefully there really is a demo coming, because I'm not sold on this yet.

You answered your own criticism, Cloud does it on purpose because he thinks it looks cool. Same thing when he flamboyantly spins his sword after battles.