• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
there is a fucking poster for loveless in the opening

EQuooTkUcAE4ojU.png

god damn Gackt

Well, yeah, it was in the original. One of the team was a My Bloody Valentine fan, so this is named after their second album.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've seen this 100 times already, nice to finally see it officially. Edit: actually there's a ton of new stuff at the start. Nice!

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

Hopefully there really is a demo coming, because I'm not sold on this yet.
I mean, if you played the original you should know it's extremely appropriate that Cloud would "try to look cool."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Can't hate on the intro even if I wanted too. Better than the original opening movie imo.
Not really, they got it right the first time beginning with space (connecting to the Cosmo Canyon telescope) with Aeris' face close up and
ending it the same way
That was beautiful and cosmical. I'm not a purest but if you change things, they should make it better not worse. I want to see my favourite moments recreated from the original.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not really, they got it right the first time beginning with space (connecting to the Cosmo Canyon telescope) with Aeris' face close up and
ending it the same way
That was beautiful and cosmical. I'm not a purest but if you change things, they should make it better not worse. I want to see my favourite moments recreated from the original.
I think connecting it to the Cosmo Canyon telescope is more your idea than what's actually going on in the original opening.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Well another poster points out that you can hear the cries of the planet in the OG opening, which I had never thought of before tbh. So it's like locating a lost child in space (Cid's line) and bringing it down to earth where Aerith is seeing a 'wound' in the form of a mako leak.

New one is sort of the same idea, focusing on the progress made by Shinra but at the cost to the natural world. They are doing this to set it up in contrast to the 500 years later scene I suppose. I prefer the more 'cosmic' original but this isn't bad either, just a little too long and the OWA bits are not a good addition. But overall it's a nice re-working of the opening.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
With how little I expect there to be in the game, I have to avoid it.

The only thing still bothering me about all this is how the boxart for the game has no mention of the fact that it's only Part 1. Maybe you can get away with that elsewhere but it shouldn't be the case in EU.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think connecting it to the Cosmo Canyon telescope is more your idea than what's actually going on in the original opening.
Not really, it's foreshadowing the story is about the universe, not just Gaia and the same music plays in the telescope scene.
Bugenhagen shows that,. My guess is the developers of the remake just thought of the zoom out shot, let's make it bigger and cooler but didn't think of the point of the orginal scene. It's like giving Red XIII a cool and wise voice, he may look bad arse, but he's more like a reckless teenager. I worry they have a superficial understanding of the original.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not really, it's foreshadowing the story is about the universe, not just Gaia. Bugenhagen shows that,. My guess is the developers of the remake just thought of the zoom out shot, let's make it bigger and cooler but didn't think of the point of the orginal scene. It's like giving Red XIII a cool and wise voice, he may look bad arse, but he's more like a reckless teenager. I worry they have a superficial understanding of the original.
Uhh, Most of the original team who worked on the original is on this remake. Also regarding Red XII, the whole point is that he's putting on a different face in front of everyone because they don't know he's only a pup. He talks in his sleep all the time, crying for his grandfather. That's like a big part of his character. He breaks that facade after Cosmo Canyon.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is a cool thing that people not only learns that "Loveless" was already in the original, but also they learn about My Bloody Valentine.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, Most of the original team who worked on the original is on this remake. Also regarding Red XII, the whole point is that he's putting on a different face in front of everyone because they don't know he's only a pup. He talks in his sleep all the time, crying for his grandfather. That's like a big part of his character. He breaks that facade after Cosmo Canyon.
Looks like they went too far, Red XIII is not Aslan. Whether some of the same developers worked on it or not, doesn't mean they can't miss the point.

Oct 28, 2017
Works for me. Establishes up front "hey, this is going to be a little different than what you remember", and then goes underground for the "real" nostalgic start.

I'm all for seeing a bit of upper-Midgar. Gives some context to those living on top of the pizza. They're not all the upper crust. They're working class folks that are one step away from being cast into the slums themselves. Makes the whole thing feel more fleshed out.

Also the new shots help with one of my few tiny criticisms from the demo intro, which was that it felt like it didn't 'ease' into Aerith elegantly enough. In the og FF7 you swirl around with the mako flecks for a while, establishing a mood, before you see her. The demo intro just kind of went to her ASAP. Establishing the city helps the pacing, and makes it feel more special when you finally get to her.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really start the remake with an Advent Children easter egg lmaooooo

Looks amazing though. Can't wait. I honestly really like the look of Midgar in the first two minutes.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh the opening is actually different from the demo version. I hope this means that they intend to release the demo before the final game launches then.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Lol ok. He literally talks like that in the original version but yeah they went too far
Red XIII was quite childish, there's a scene
where he sneaks in Junon in a human disguise and he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. Same with freaking out over Aeris in the chamber.
He's quite insecure even earlier on and not very cool and calm, despite how he may look at times. Giving him the most coolmaccool voice, misses the point. The whole "he pretends to be cool" is an excuse because even then the insecurities still shine through.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I wasn't going to watch it.... but I was weak. That didn't disappoint at all, let's hope the rest of the game lives up to that!

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
where he sneaks in Junon in a human disguise and he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. Same with freaking out over Aeris in the chamber.
He's quite insecure even earlier on and not very cool and calm, despite how he may look at times. Giving him the most coolmaccool voice, misses the point. The whole "he pretends to be cool" is an excuse because even then the insecurities still shine through.
You all are freaking out over nothing. He can have a cool voice and this will make the inscurities show off even more when they do show off, which fits the character pretty well.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If you have the ability play in Japanese, if not watch Tim Rogers series on it. Explains it well there. They aren't missing the point with his character

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of the new bits like the parts during the day and some rando stepping on Aerith's flower feel so pointless.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
All of the new bits like the parts during the day and some rando stepping on Aerith's flower feel so pointless.
Why is it pointless? Its a reimagining of FFVII set in a new continuity. I like the contrast shown between the slums and the upper plates.

Some world building is always appreciated.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
have to say, it is a really odd trend to show beginning cinematics long before the game is released or the famous"the first 10 minutes"...

back in the days it was the best to experience this personally, nowadays the beginning is already spoiled because marketing reasons...the magic is completely gone from a new game this way

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As awesome as the trailer looks, I tend to always roll my eyes when games go for that "the city is so rough and raw that this person just stepped on Aeris' flower with NO regard for her" feel. Like I live in Chicago. If somebody dropped their shit on the ground and was on their hands and knees collecting it, nobody is gonna come through and drag their boots haha

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
wait, the slums are on top of the plate now? or is that a different playground that just looks the same?

To me, it looks like that's supposed to be a historical shot of the sector 5 reactor firing up for the first time before the plate for that sector has been built. Like everything before it cuts to Aeris is actually in the past

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me, it looks like that's supposed to be a historical shot of the sector 5 reactor firing up for the first time before the plate for that sector has been built. Like everything before it cuts to Aeris is actually in the past

I didn't get that at all from what I saw, but in that context it makes sense. But the way this is edited makes it so sloppy.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know , it's the one where they shrunk the chin.

Mind you, I'm not really care much but I remember japanese fanbase complaining about Aerith looking ugly too long chin and shit like that.

Yeah. This change is probably because the japanese base shat their pants because Aerith face was too long and western looking...

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
have to say, it is a really odd trend to show beginning cinematics long before the game is released or the famous"the first 10 minutes"...

back in the days it was the best to experience this personally, nowadays the beginning is already spoiled because marketing reasons...the magic is completely gone from a new game this way
Yes, Valve's approach with HL Alyx is so refreshing in comparison. Imagine if we got a big cutscene showing us the G-Man's intro or something like that shown before release

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
This was my interpretation of it as well, that it was showing a quick history of Shin-ra and Midgar's rise through building and expansion all the way up until the city that we all recognise.

edit: I have now watched the opening for the second time, this time on my 65" 4K tv instead of my iphone and I was mistaken, I didn't see Midgar all the way in the distance when the show was still of the wasteland. The opening absolutely is not showing the city being build aha.

Last edited: