• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
State of Play (May 2019)
EQu6xZvU8AAh2zu

E3 (June 2019)
EQu6xZvUwAAQ95O

Opening (Feb 2020)
EQu6xZ3UwAANJZP

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People commenting on how Aeris' face is now 5% more rounded or whatever are people I never want to be alone in a room with. phrenology, not even once

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Not gonna watch. Is the opening completely CG? Or is there any segment with real time graphics ?

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
From the beginning to when the smokes clears is FMVs for sure. No way in heck that is all in-engine before the smoke clears is in-engine.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As awesome as the trailer looks, I tend to always roll my eyes when games go for that "the city is so rough and raw that this person just stepped on Aeris' flower with NO regard for her" feel. Like I live in Chicago. If somebody dropped their shit on the ground and was on their hands and knees collecting it, nobody is gonna come through and drag their boots haha
The guy that steps on it didn't see it. He's carrying a bunch of boxes.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I believe the prevailing opinion is that it's almost all CG but the end is in real time. There's a moment at the end where smoke fills the screen and that's likely when the transition occurs.
Aa... I think I know that scene. It's when cloud riding on top of the train, steam smokes fill the screen, train stopped and cloud jumped on to the floor with his buster sword right? Is there any never-before-seen footages on the opening intro?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Aa... I think I know that scene. It's when cloud riding on top of the train, steam smokes fill the screen, train stopped and cloud jumped on to the floor with his buster sword right? Is there any never-before-seen footages on the opening intro?
Yup! And there's a lot of never before seen stuff at the beginning.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not really, it's foreshadowing the story is about the universe, not just Gaia and the same music plays in the telescope scene.
Bugenhagen shows that,. My guess is the developers of the remake just thought of the zoom out shot, let's make it bigger and cooler but didn't think of the point of the orginal scene. It's like giving Red XIII a cool and wise voice, he may look bad arse, but he's more like a reckless teenager. I worry they have a superficial understanding of the original.
"I know more about Final Fantasy VII than the people who made it, baka!"

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

Other than swinging his sword, he does that exact same flip off the train in the original. It's completely intentional, and a core part of Cloud's persona to "look cool" (for a spoiler reason explained later in the game).

Also, fucking loved that opening. They even incorporated parts of the original announcement trailer into it, like the kids playing and the girl looking up to the sky, shots of the Midgar, etc.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The intro was interesting, not sure if I like it more or less than the original's intro, but it was definitely interesting. I do think the One Winged Angel choir is a little heavy handed though.

That being said, people are extremely nitpicky with this game and I've noticed that a lot the past few days. It feels weird to just be excited for it and not think too hard, lol

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I'm not freaking out, that's misrepresentation, sorry to say this just think some of you guys might not want other opinions.
Errrrr nope. It's not misrepresentation. The party gets surprised when they learn Red is a teenager when they get to Cosmo Canyon and he pretty much barely shows his weakness before that, hell, he barely speaks. So, yeah, he being calm and cool fits the character perfectly.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna watch. Is the opening completely CG? Or is there any segment with real time graphics ?
It starts off with complete CG and then transitions into in-game cutscenes, similar to the original FF7 intro.

That being said, with in-game graphics that look *this* good, it's genuinely difficult to tell what's what.

Windforce

Dec 8, 2017
Wow, I'm shocked, this is stunning... it captures the feels, when the logo showed up I nearly cried.

Tried watching the original intro, then this, it's so much more detail.

Can't wait to play it.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew something was different the moment I saw Aerith. They got rid of the cat lips and they shrunk her chin.
aerithcomparison.jpg
happy they got rid of the cat lips. The rest of the changes don't really phase me. I like the lighting of the newer model. Idk if they changed it bc they wanted to give in to the japanese fans who said she was too white, or for unrelated reasons, but either way I like it. The muted dark green lighting on the left matches what I always imagined the mako-infused lighting to look like.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"I know more about Final Fantasy VII than the people who made it, baka!"
Eh, if the game makes bad changes, I'm not going to say otherwise because I didn't work on it. That sounds like a fallacy. Like it wasn't "freaking out", because they didn't see it that way. That's also just another way trying to shut down criticism as people whining.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Errrrr nope. It's not misrepresentation. The party gets surprised when they learn Red is a teenager when they get to Cosmo Canyon and he pretty much barely shows his weakness before that, hell, he barely speaks. So, yeah, he being calm and cool fits the character perfectly.

What do you mean Red barely speaks?

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Eh, if the game makes bad changes, I'm not going to say otherwise because I didn't work on it. That sounds like a fallacy. Like it wasn't "freaking out", because they didn't see it that way. That's also just another way trying to shut down criticism as people whining.
No you're projecting your assumptions onto the original intent that the people who made the game (and most of the people in this thread) don't share with you and saying that since it doesn't fit YOUR vision of the game, it's because they didn't understand it.

It's a childish argument that implies you think you're more intelligent and insightful, rather than just a matter of preference between your interpretation and this one.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Expecting a lot of expanded cutscenes in the game. Wouldn't be surprised to see many hours of it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No you're projecting your assumptions onto the original intent that the people who made the game (and most of the people in this thread) don't share with you and saying that since it doesn't fit YOUR vision of the game, it's because they didn't understand it.
It's a childish argument.
It's like a famous example, Lucas changes the climax of ROTJ and getting rid of the subtley of Vader not saying anything and then he saves Luke, but we see what he's thinking, it was moving... and he ruined why that scene he worked on in the first place and added "NO! NO!" in the special edition. Sometimes things can be lost in updates or remakes and we should be free to say when we believe the point of scenes has been lost, without personal insults, like different posts being called childish.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
That really got me quite emotional, and I haven't really been following the lead up to release that closely. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Even though I didn't like the combat in ffxv I think nostalgia is going to make me buy this now. It looks too good, and that music...banderas.gif

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Think the music was a bit better handled in certain sections in the original. I'll echo a bit of confusion as the distinction between "above the plate" and "below the plate" doesn't seem as clear, but there were plenty of trashy places above the plate in the original too I guess. Aeris's changes are so minor I didn't notice until seeing them here.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Looks amazing. The scale of Midgar is impressive, hope it will be mostly/totally open to explore. Kinda has to be to justify this being part 1.

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
I just may be old, but I like the original opening better. Shorter, more to the point, gets to gameplay faster.

I also feel like the new opening is hammering the 'Earth is dying' theme way too hard, super early. Might be a Kojima level of beating people over the head with its messaging.

Still going to buy it, tho.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I just may be old, but I like the original opening better. Shorter, more to the point, gets to gameplay faster.

I also feel like the new opening is hammering the 'Earth is dying' theme way too hard, super early. Might be a Kojima level of beating people over the head with its messaging.

Still going to buy it, tho.
I guess you haven't heard that Cloud has been renamed to Hero Swordman and that Tifa has been renamed to Punch Kickwoman.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got legit chills when the trailer transitioned to Aerith's face. Meanwhile the whole time I'm watching it I'm thinking to myself, "why am I watching this?"

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

The voice direction in the japanese version seems to be a lot better. You don't hear the weird ass grunts(biggs, wedge and jesse) in this version when the train sequence starts.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It was really amazing, this is the first time after like 5 playthougth of the original that the flower mean much more then Aeris been only a flower seller for me... didn't make tha big connection before, wow. I feel stupid lol

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Other than swinging his sword, he does that exact same flip off the train in the original. It's completely intentional, and a core part of Cloud's persona to "look cool" (for a spoiler reason explained later in the game).

Also, fucking loved that opening. They even incorporated parts of the original announcement trailer into it, like the kids playing and the girl looking up to the sky, shots of the Midgar, etc.

Im nostalgic as hell for this.

But is THIS what we are getting? I don't think so :(

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
That really got me quite emotional, and I haven't really been following the lead up to release that closely. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Even though I didn't like the combat in ffxv I think nostalgia is going to make me buy this now. It looks too good, and that music...banderas.gif
I won't go into too much detail unless you ask, but the combat looks significantly better than XV's so far, and has gotten very good previews. Still action based, but very different.