• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say the new part kind of kills the flow and removes the big reveal of a massive city from the OG opening (for people completely new at least) but man Midgar does looks superbly realized in it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck man. Anyone think this is gonna be one of the greatest remakes of all time.

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
I really didn't expect that extra part at the beginning. I don't know how I feel about it. Of course it's no big deal, being only a few additionnal seconds of CG, but I don't know if it adds anything substantial to the original sequence that began with Aerith. Anyway, can't wait to play the game!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the people saying they arent going to watch it to be spoiled, i assume have never played the original FF7. It's literally the same intro with updated graphics

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Caved and watched it.

They really captured the vibe. It really "felt" like you're watching the intro to FF VII. Also, it has some great cinematic direction. I'm super hyped to play this.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds dumb, but I love that shot of the dead plant near the traffic. It's so simple, but it adds a ton to showing the theme of the game and kind of recontextualizes the symbolism of Aerith selling flowers for me. And it's just a shot of a dead plant.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it just clicked that the reactor fires up stronger because it becomes night time and the lights are coming on at the playground. Missed that the first time.

Reminds me of Tea Time in England!

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Not at all. It's a TV show in parts, a book in parts.
Not anyone of those are feasible as a stand alone release. Just like FF 7, so, no disingenuous at all.

Is Harry Potter a remake of a legendary game that I grew up with in the 90's?

Is Harry Potter a 1 book story that has been split up into multiple installments?

No it's not, so ok stop with the bullshit comparisons and stop attacking me for not liking the way this 'remake' is handled.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Some of the character animation is pretty stiff and the first 90 seconds is kind of underwhelming? The color palate of the greys has this 10-15 year old FMV vibe to it. Kind of strange. Aerith, Cloud and Barrett look awesome though.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Is Harry Potter a remake of a legendary game that I grew up with in the 90's?

Is Harry Potter a 1 book story that has been split up into multiple installments?

No it's not, so ok stop with the bullshit comparisons and stop attacking me for not liking the way this 'remake' is handled.
Not bullshit in any kind of way. It's just not feasible to release the whole story in a stand alone way, there's no budget or manpower to do it.
Oh, but the godfather book was split into two movies and had a third stand alone movie with content not present in the books. So this has been done.
Sometimes things have to be split because they're not feasible as one.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I really didn't expect that extra part at the beginning. I don't know how I feel about it. Of course it's no big deal, being only a few additionnal seconds of CG, but I don't know if it adds anything substantial to the original sequence that began with Aerith. Anyway, can't wait to play the game!

I think it hammers home the environmental message of the game, Midgar was actually a pretty sweet Cyber/Steampunk neighborhood until Shinra came in a fucked everything up. The insertions of One Winged Angel into the score really drives that home.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Not bullshit in any kind of way. It's just not feasible to release the whole story in a stand alone way, there's no budget or manpower to do it.
Oh, but the godfather book was split into two movies and had a third stand alone movie with content not present in the books. So this has been done.
Sometimes things have to be split because they're not feasible as one.
I agree with this, but I would amend that it's not feasible with the production values they've chosen for this.

If they just upressed the graphics of the OG, redid the backgrounds, animations, and CG, it would certainly be feasible. But that's not what this project is.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with this, but I would amend that it's not feasible with the production values they've chosen for this.

If they just upressed the graphics of the OG, redid the backgrounds, animations, and CG, it would certainly be feasible. But that's not what this project is.

I'm happy they didn't do that. That would have been Horrible.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The problem with XV combat is the systems beneath just weren't well integrated with each other. You know you've got an issue when the party limit breaks are most used by players to prevent allies from running into AOE.

FFVIIR almost feels like it's got a closed resource loop with how its ATB feeds into your decision making and I wish more people would look at how that stuff seems to work before dropping the XV comparisons. At a surface level yeah they look kinda similar, but when you take a look at the systems and how they play off each other you're really looking at something that's a reworked XIII. Which imo had a great system, for all the other issues that game had. Then this looks better because you have finer control over your party members, fixing the XV issue immediately and bringing it in line with some aspects of XII

I've written a variant of this comment 25 times probably lol. All the more reason why we need a public demo, I suppose, and I don't even feel like I need the demo that much personally. I just want more people to see how good the combat in this game looks to be.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
We're WC3 up in here with that bird.

Great opening, immediately establishes the themes on the game.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I tried to resist, because I wanted to have the magic of the opening the first time I'm playing the game. Still watched it just now though. It's great! I can't wait.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
As someone who has played the FFVIIR demo, I wish people would stop comparing the combat to XV. ATB charges and Tactical mode make FFVIIR's gameplay much more interesting. Plus you can't just spam the same regular attack button over and over again.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
That's, uhh... shit, I think that's the first thing I dislike about the game. Well, not necessarily dislike but just not so keen on? I've been on the hype train for so long and everything's only made me more and more excited whenever we got new looks and info, until now. Maybe it's because I very recently started playing through FFVII again (after more than a decade!) so the intro and Midgar is fresh on my mind but showing Midgar during the day and what life is like there feels completely unnecessary. I get that they want to expand upon Midgar and show us that it's this whole city with life and people and that's wonderful! I'm all for that. However, for the purposes of the intro, it doesn't help. In my opinion, it would have been much better to save the "reveal" of everyday life in Midgar for after the bombing mission or whenever it is that the story will have the players go through those down times. Don't preface the bombing mission with it, you know?

Also, my god, it's so awkward knowing Cloud is just crouched atop the train the entire time while Jesse and co. are kicking Shinra butt. Like, holy shit... is he just posing there the whole time?? I mean, on one hand, I love seeing more of the trio and Avalance in general, on the other... Cloud should've just leapt first. Then have Jesse and Biggs ambush the Shinra troops as they react to Cloud. Simple.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It hadn't really sunk in what this game means for the hobby at large. Chills!

Still incredibly bizarre that they didn't add a Vol. 1 or something to the title. Still feels just as misleading.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
ffvii-remake.square-enix-games.com

FINAL FANTASY VII Remake

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Out 10.04.2020 for PlayStation 4. A re-imagining of the iconic original with unforgettable characters, a mind-blowing story, and epic battles.

Weird how the link on the video itself still claims the game is coming 3/3/2020

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
beautiful CGI for sure.

the added day light bit is kinda unnecessary. the OG one is "focus-scale-focus": from one key character to showing the city to starting the game. The added bird flying to reveal the city bit breaks this structure. looks like two different openings stitched together.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, that looked really good. Felt like the bird opening was completely unnecessary. This is gonna be a long wait.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The problem with XV combat is the systems beneath just weren't well integrated with each other. You know you've got an issue when the party limit breaks are most used by players to prevent allies from running into AOE.

FFVIIR almost feels like it's got a closed resource loop with how its ATB feeds into your decision making and I wish more people would look at how that stuff seems to work before dropping the XV comparisons. At a surface level yeah they look kinda similar, but when you take a look at the systems and how they play off each other you're really looking at something that's a reworked XIII. Which imo had a great system, for all the other issues that game had.

I've written a variant of this comment 25 times probably lol. All the more reason why we need a public demo, I suppose, and I don't even feel like I need the demo that much personally. I just want more people to see how good the combat in this game looks to be.

I don't think it's even worth it to argue it at this point. Anyone who's read anything other than seen a few clips of it and still thinks it's XV's combat is being intentionally ignorant about it. What they see is "Final Fantasy" and "ARPG" and say, OMG it's XV all over again.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura's on a "follow a bird as it flies around" kick at the moment. First KH3's opening now this.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Also, my god, it's so awkward knowing Cloud is just crouched atop the train the entire time while Jesse and co. are kicking Shinra butt. Like, holy shit... is he just posing there the whole time?? I mean, on one hand, I love seeing more of the trio and Avalance in general, on the other... Cloud should've just leapt first. Then have Jesse and Biggs ambush the Shinra troops as they react to Cloud. Simple.

good point

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Ok I didn't want to watch this until I tracked down a Japanese language version because I refuse to let those English voice actors ruin my experience, but I didn't realize there was only like one line of dialogue in the entire thing.

Just in case you want to see the version I watched, here's the Japanese trailer.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
really not into this weird one winged angel thing they've got going on in the intro music

other than that, looks great

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i liked it, they are making the contrast of environment x machine (enviromnent destruction) way more obvious with many shots

like the eagle that introduces the city, the shots of gas pollution, the shot where they have a closed up in the dead plants/grass vs the city growing, the arid earth vs mako energy, and the older one where the citizen steps on aerith flower and doesnt care