• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Ew, using the vocals of the theme before Aerith supposedly hears them takes away alot of the impact.

The intro was already perfect, this is just doing too much.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
? it says 10.04.2020 for me

Huh? you don't see this?

lxwCbmt.jpg

Weird then, maybe i'm seeing a cached version from the last time I visited the site then.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Ew, using the vocals of the theme before Aerith supposedly hears them takes away alot of the impact.

The intro was already perfect, this is just doing too much.
Agree.

I mean, it is good in isolation, but I really prefer the original one. It felt more whimsical (and I really don't like the Watchers of Fate or Sephiroth being as prominent as he seems to be here from the get go).

The new CG cutscene is cool, but, again, I would have rather they took that away and inserted in somewhere else. Although this is definitely a nostalgia-fueled opinion, as it's really nice to see life in the upper plate. It just feels doing too much from the very beginning when it's not truly needed.

Release the demo!!! :(

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, my god, it's so awkward knowing Cloud is just crouched atop the train the entire time while Jesse and co. are kicking Shinra butt. Like, holy shit... is he just posing there the whole time?? I mean, on one hand, I love seeing more of the trio and Avalance in general, on the other... Cloud should've just leapt first. Then have Jesse and Biggs ambush the Shinra troops as they react to Cloud. Simple.
its the same as the original, and people would complain if the scene would be changed

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Also, my god, it's so awkward knowing Cloud is just crouched atop the train the entire time while Jesse and co. are kicking Shinra butt. Like, holy shit... is he just posing there the whole time?? I mean, on one hand, I love seeing more of the trio and Avalance in general, on the other... Cloud should've just leapt first. Then have Jesse and Biggs ambush the Shinra troops as they react to Cloud. Simple.
Not jumping off until after that when Barret cued him to was how it went in the original too, though.

EDIT: I see I wasn't the only one who remembered.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Actually really like the opening shots, getting across the environmentalist point right in the beginning and also setting up the mood of the city

Of course its unnecessary but it does not subtract from the rest. I could say there's a bit of a sudden break but I think its good context for new players

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my conclusion about the new part of the intro, the message square wants to say with that segment, is that we are going towards progress/development and ignoring the environment that is dying.
also thats why i think they wanted to make midgar closer to the real world to make the paralel and the enviromnent critic more on point with our world, than the original. Even though i like more the aesthetic of the original midgar.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This looks almost too good to be true, can't wait!

Also this is a remake, not a remaster. The story won't be a 1:1 retelling even when all parts have released. Big story beats will be similar, but everything in between can change. People losing too much sleep over every change. I hope once this game releases people will realize this is a new continuity.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Big wide opening shots at the start that set the scene and people in YT comments still convincing themselves that the slide scene is set in the slums. You can't help some people.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

Hopefully there really is a demo coming, because I'm not sold on this yet.
Cloud is cool you take back your filthy words

Deleted member 41651

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It was nice to see what machine was used that'd require the giant robot hand seen in the original before the train graveyard or whatever.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You people don't deserve this remake. I don't deserve this. How can this be real what and why where am I

Absolutely perfect mix between old and new

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Big wide opening shots at the start that set the scene and people in YT comments still convincing themselves that the slide scene is set in the slums. You can't help some people.
Isn't the slide scene a part of a town that's about to get covered by the plate under construction. That's how it looked to me

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
You people don't deserve this remake. I don't deserve this. How can this be real what and why where am I

Absolutely perfect mix between old and new

Yeah, I agree. I'm completely COMPLETELY blown away by how well they have done it.

I just hope Midgar will be huge like this trailer. Remember that FFXV hyped up Altissia and it was really small....

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, I agree. I'm completely COMPLETELY blown away by how well they have done it.

I just hope Midgar will be huge like this trailer. Remember that FFXV hyped up Altissia and it was really small....
The whole game is going to take place in Midgar, so I would expect the scale of the city to be decent. I wouldn't expect it to be open world or anything like that, though.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
So the people that are avoiding spoilers-- did you not play the original and want to go into this one fresh, or is "spoiler" now referring to every aspect of the game and not just plot events?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the slide scene a part of a town that's about to get covered by the plate under construction. That's how it looked to me
In the original isn't that park with the slide just outside the walls where the plate fell one sector over? I don't think the plate falling destroyed it IIRC, because you still need to bang a right there and head up to wall market to get to HQ.

So I'm assuming there was a plate over the original park, but it might have been in-between or close to the edge of one.

Edit: nvm saw the above. It's inclusion and not being the same one is a bit unnecessarily confusing though.

Last edited:

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Love the contextualization w/ Aerith praying to her ancestors and having living flowers, with the shots of the Mako reactor blowing her ancestors in the air and the dead flowers.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all the new stuff here sucks, is unnecessary and is probably indicative of the rest of the game.

and as always, the new musical arrangements are weaker than the originals

Gotta say the new part kind of kills the flow and removes the big reveal of a massive city from the OG opening (for people completely new at least) but man Midgar does looks superbly realized in it.
"Kills the flow" is a phrase i expect will apply to most of the "fleshed out" content in this game.

every new video makes me more apprehensive

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went from totally skipping this until full game release to pre-order the first chapter.
This shit will be EPIC!!!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
lol, people complaining about Loveless even though it was in the original.

Square probably released this today because it's My Bloody Valentines Day.

I guess that first 2 minutes is meant to be more of an establishing time lapse of the building of Midgar and the Shinra's rise to power?

Bit of an odd choice honestly seeing just how iconic the original intro was without any context.
No, it's just a bird flying into a fog bank surrounding Midgar. There's nothing to do with a time-lapse of the building of Midgar other than Midgar is perpetually still under construction.

It's just a set of scenes to show that the people that live in Midgar are normal people not worthy of being killed by terrorists. It shows how the land around Midgar is devoid of life and how the people us mako to live but the city is dirty and cluttered and still devoid of vegetation.

Then it juxtaposes to Aerith, who is holding flowers next to a mako vent, showing that it isn't harmful to life and implies the opposite.

-------------------

I think the original was a bit better at establishing different themes than this does.

The original starts out with what appears to be drifting aimlessly through space with voices talking and then it reveals it was the lifestream. It foreshadows the extraterestrial threat of the game. Here it cuts from mako particles coming out of a reactor to mako particles coming out of a vent.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
beautiful CGI for sure.

the added day light bit is kinda unnecessary. the OG one is "focus-scale-focus": from one key character to showing the city to starting the game. The added bird flying to reveal the city bit breaks this structure. looks like two different openings stitched together.
I think it's good to
Went from totally skipping this until full game release to pre-order the first chapter.
This shit will be EPIC!!!
It is a full game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII has always had my favorite opening cutscene of any game, I can't even believe what I'm looking at.

The first two minutes of new stuff before it goes into the traditional FF7 opening are great at setting up Midgar. Mixing a bit of One-Winged Angel in there is good.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
all the new stuff here sucks, is unnecessary and is probably indicative of the rest of the game.

"Kills the flow" is a phrase i expect will apply to most of the "fleshed out" content in this game.

Yeah, I just hate that everyone is forcing you to play it! Oh wait...?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Sooo uuh... day 1?