• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

Hopefully there really is a demo coming, because I'm not sold on this yet.

Because Cloud is a tryhard edgelord. Did you not play the original game?

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
oooh the attack on junon by weapon is going to look so good probably have to wait for part 3 for it though, plus it was bad enough seeing old polygon model aeris pop it so seeing this new ones going to be worse.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
The first part isn't bad on itself but it feels pretty tacked on. The original opening is iconic for a reason and I don't think the new one works as well.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It was nice overall, but when Cloud does a flip off the train and swings his sword, well that was cheesy. Just jump down like a normal person instead of a tryhard edgelord next time. Square-Enix tries too hard to make characters cool, but it's just silly.
Of course, Cloud was a bit of an edgelord in the original too, but it was cooler when I was a teenager.

hah, what a silly thing to complain about given the original.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Considering in the original, he basically does a flip off the train this makes sense. The sword part is most likely for show (which fits his role as an overconfident/cocky former soldier now mercenary) .
It stays true to the source material and adds a bit more to it

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I mean FFVII to now (Minus IX and XII) are always edgelord. Why do you think people like FF but not DQ? It is really not a criticism.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The first bit seems like foreshadowing to gel with the bit at the end of the game involving Red XIII.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3437aab092b82af635cfe0dc1459f27b9c0cffd6_00.gif

e0d1ea585e5b034594bde4acc70801c32e0dbae0.gifv

We've come a LOOONG way, but what a journey it's been.

Going by how many multiple versions there are of this shot this must have been one of the most contentious ones to achieve, trying to make it absolutely perfect right up until the end.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Watched this at least 3 times and I'm excited and ready for it. Why did it have to be delayed! April is so far away.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It was so good until the foam sword 3 point landing

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that
the "real" Cloud is a quiet boy that is prone to motion sickness, all his flashy showing-off and tryhard cool in the early hours of the game is taken from Zack's personality. The real Cloud is the one that doesn't know anything better to say in the moment of triumph than "Let's mosey". That line is iconic for showing, with just 2 words, how far Cloud has come from the Bombing Mission to the end of the game.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The additions don't really add anything for me, so they're whatever. I don't like or dislike them terribly much. The main thing I don't like are the two cuts in the transition from the wide shot of Midgar to the train. Not the cuts to the train running. Those were in the original. But the jumps in the transition.

Actually, one other thing I really dislike is the choice to have Aerith kneeling and going into a pseudo-prayer pose as the camera pans away. It makes her seem like a more submissive char, when she's anything but. I get that it's probably a reference to the end of disc 1, but it's unnecessary.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

hX0b4GQ.gif

Lol

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a different playground, though. This one is in Sector 5 on the upper plate. The original is in the Sector 6 slums. Reeve probably had them mass produced and put one in the slums as part of an attempt to develop the slums.
Yeah. That is right. The one in the old game was not on the upper plate.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Argh! Stop it! Just release the demo!

^ agreed.

to each his own on whether to watch it or not - not like SE is forcing me to. but still this is kinda baffling. i mean, the opening movie is so iconic to the original game and, considering this is just part 1 set entirely in midgar, i would much rather watch it and let it be fresh when the game releases (or demo, lol).

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Shame they felt a need to tack on all the Sephiroth Latin from ONe Winged Angel in the musical motif, but overall I don't really know how anyone can complain about this.

My big question is for anyone who HASN'T played this game or is confused about the Part system. I'm curious how players will feel with all this build up for Midgar only to never see any of this again until the very end of the story.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
Really, I have forgotten a good chunk of the game, so it will be this weird mix of old and new.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
The music composition and syncing with moments is actually incredible. Almost classic Disney like.

While backstage watching the full Bombing Run demo, the producers kept saying how they want the action, the story and the dialogue to sync to match up to the music, and they spent a lot of time and resources making that happen. It's what makes all the beats of this intro so tear jerking and effective. Also to mention, musical beats to action and story is probably one of my favorite things ever. And for those of you who haven't played it...just get ready for the gameplay portions.

I've seen this thing like 8 times now, and I can't help but feel extremely for Aerith as she looks away in fear of an unknown entity watching her...to then immediately cut to the bombastic pan-out Midgar theme. Shit-is-fucking-perfect.

Oct 30, 2017
Is it me, or does the city as portrayed in the day light part of the video look nothing like the Midgar we see later before the title appears? The first part makes it look like a sprawling modern day Tokyo, while later it looks like, well Midgar.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Is it me, or does the city as portrayed in the day light part of the video look nothing like the Midgar we see later before the title appears? The first part makes it look like a sprawling modern day Tokyo, while later it looks like, well Midgar.
In general, this interpretation of Midgar seems to look a little more modern as opposed to the more cyberpunk/retrofuturistic look of the original game. I don't think that's a bad thing altogether though. ANd there are plenty of elements from the original in there like the old timey cars.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
Looks great, I'm pretty excited.

Also if you read the description of the video it says exactly where the first episode is going to end (
says when you escape from Midgar
)... I think that is the first time they have officially said that?