• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we have to accept that a lot of the tnings we loved about old games might have been from developers adjusting to technical limitations and overcoming them. The more subtle intro of the original might have been just a matter of CG cost/budget than an intentional more subtle introduction of the lifeforce.

I felt the original, more restrained intro is 'better' in that sense. At least, I'm glad that it seems the environmentalism theme is as important on this than the original game.
Remember that
the "real" Cloud is a quiet boy that is prone to motion sickness, all his flashy showing-off and tryhard cool in the early hours of the game is taken from Zack's personality. The real Cloud is the one that doesn't know anything better to say in the moment of triumph than "Let's mosey". That line is iconic for showing, with just 2 words, how far Cloud has come from the Bombing Mission to the end of the game.

.....and then Advent Children happens.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's not.
It's just a portion of the full game.
Square Enix is developing this as a full game. It's a portion of the overall Final Fantasy VII narrative, but that portion is planned to be expanded and built into its own arc (which it already really was, just with lightning fast pacing in the original), and a game is more than just its narrative. It even seems to have a full character progression path within it. This isn't a TellTale-esque "episode".

It's going to be a full game. Might be good, might be bad, and it may not be what you wanted either way. But saying it's not a full game is misinformation. Square is treating this singular release as it's next, big AAA release.
Looks great, I'm pretty excited.

Also if you read the description of the video it says exactly where the first episode is going to end (
says when you escape from Midgar
)... I think that is the first time they have officially said that?
I believe one of the creative leads pretty explicitly said it a while back

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
tumblr_pxo91tbSC21vgzd4so5_r1_500.gifv

They're gonna make a lot of people fall in love (fall back in love) with this character....

... It's going to be a rough ride.

There was an episode of This American Life that devoted a segment to Aerith and why exactly what happens to her hits so hard with so many people. Kotaku's Mike Fahey was on, and he said basically, let's face it, she's the cute girl all boys dream of protecting.

... FF7Remake is going to lean HARD into this.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think we have to accept that a lot of the tnings we loved about old games might have been from developers adjusting to technical limitations and overcoming them. The more subtle intro of the original might have been just a matter of CG cost/budget than an intentional more subtle introduction of the lifeforce.

Well also some great art is made because of said limitations.

I always think of Mulholland Dr and how beautiful that film is even though it's 'incomplete'. Versus Twin Peaks season 3 which is incoherent garbage imo but it's Lynch's unadulterated vision or whatever.

With limitless resources you can just throw every idea that comes into your head. I think the original opening is a lot better but I don't hate the new one. Then again I've come around to no longer seeing this as the FFVII remake and more like a new way of seeing FFVII, if that makes any sense.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

I always think of Mulholland Dr and how beautiful that film is even though it's 'incomplete'. Versus Twin Peaks season 3 which is incoherent garbage imo but it's Lynch's unadulterated vision or whatever.

With limitless resources you can just throw every idea that comes into your head. I think the original opening is a lot better but I don't hate the new one. Then again I've come around to no longer seeing this as the FFVII remake and more like a new way of seeing FFVII, if that makes any sense.
This is a good way to look at it, I think.

I'm personally trying to approach this with the viewpoint of "This is the next Final Fantasy game, it's just built on the skeleton of an old one." I've found approaching it that way has helped me keep an open mind about any changes that I may have a kneejerk negative reaction to otherwise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix is developing this as a full game. It's a portion of the overall Final Fantasy VII narrative, but that portion is planned to be expanded and built into its own arc (which it already really was, just with lightning fast pacing in the original), and a game is more than just its narrative. It even seems to have a full character progression path within it. This isn't a TellTale-esque "episode".

It's going to be a full game. Might be good, might be bad, and it may not be what you wanted either way. But saying it's not a full game is misinformation. Square is treating this singular release as it's next, big AAA release.

I think the thing that bugs me the most about the way they set it up is that Midgar is always the part I rush the hell through to get out of as quickly as possible because outside of Wall Market and Shinra Tower it's just...not very interesting. Nothing happens aside from Cloud meeting Aeris. Taking the weakest part of the game and making it into a full game is kinda like spending an entire season of a TV show focusing on the least interesting member of the main cast.

Like if Game of Thrones did an entire season of just Theon episodes.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I sometimes think of how Lucas had unlimited budget and ppl for the prequels, but somehow it missed the magic that was accomplished in the originals and how much it was due to overcoming budget issues.

I wish this was just old FF7 with modern graphics, but that's not going to happen, it was never going to happen. In the end the original is a product of it's time, of the tech of that era and the design philosophy from a bygone era. This remake will be it's own thing, for better or worse. At this point I just want to keep the themes of the original intact.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think the thing that bugs me the most about the way they set it up is that Midgar is always the part I rush the hell through to get out of as quickly as possible because outside of Wall Market and Shinra Tower it's just...not very interesting. Nothing happens aside from Cloud meeting Aeris. Taking the weakest part of the game and making it into a full game is kinda like spending an entire season of a TV show focusing on the least interesting member of the main cast.

But I think they wanted to flesh out midgar because it's a central pivotal point to the game's story... It's the most iconic and recognizable place from FF 7 and they clearly love that city.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

If the demo is anything to go by they're padding the hell out of the mission structure too. The Bombing Mission goes on foooooreeeeeveeeeeer.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new intro is so pointlessly padded

The simplicity of opening in space and fading into Aerith curiously inspecting the mako leak >>>>>

The cinematography and direction is fantastic though and I do like seeing more of the upper plate...

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Midgar was always my favorite part of the game.

The original touches a lot of interesting themes that could be easily expanded: The grey morality of Avalanche as an eco-terrorist organization, the social class divide, the neoliberal dystopia, etc...

There's definetly potential to expand the game around those themes and it shows how quite dense was the Midgar area beyond just Cloud meeting Aerith.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But I think they wanted to flesh out midgar because it's a central pivotal point to the game's story... It's the most iconic and recognizable place from FF 7 and they clearly love that city.

I think it's really not that pivotal to the main story, though. It's setup. It's Twilight Town, or the Shire. You meet a bunch of characters there, and it introduces the central conflict for sure, but you really only go back once for like 20 minutes near the very end of the game. It's not central to the narrative at all.

Imagine if they did a remake of Fellowship of the Ring where the movie ENDED with them meeting Aragorn.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

See, I love Midgar. I can't agree that nothing happens, or at the very least I can't agree that I don't see anything to be expanded on. We're introduced to a number of our characters, and even in media res we get to see how they relate to one another. We have a built-in conflict in the escalating war between Shinra and AVALANCHE, with themes of environmentalism and extremism. We have a full set of supporting characters fighting for what they think is right, and who lose their lives for it.

There's a *ton* of stuff that happens in Midgar. It's just that none of it in the original is given any time to breathe and, as a result, it tends to lack narrative impact.

Take people's reactions to Jesse in the new game. In the original, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are given a little characterization but not much. And then they're killed off when the plate falls. It's sad but it's sad in that distant way because we never really had time to get to know them. And you really can't. You're in Midgar for five or six hours and 2/3 or more of that is away from AVALANCHE.

Now look at people's reactions from the trailers and demos to Jesse. We see that she's gotten a more bubbly personality, she's flirty as hell with Cloud. She's coming across so far as very likable and charming. And I've seen a ton of reactions from people who have played the original saying "Aw man, the plate fall is gonna hurt." They're anticipating a larger emotional reaction because of her role seemingly being expanded on and fleshed out a bit.

Now, who knows if it'll actually pan out that way, but this is the kind of stuff they *could* do with a fleshed out Midgar plot. Take those existing plot beats, let them breathe and develop a bit, and expand on the gameplay segments in between them. Maybe it'll fall on its face, I dunno, but I can absolutely see the expansion of Midgar being a worthwhile endeavor.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
See, I love Midgar. I can't agree that nothing happens, or at the very least I can't agree that I don't see anything to be expanded on. We're introduced to a number of our characters, and even in media res we get to see how they relate to one another. We have a built-in conflict in the escalating war between Shinra and AVALANCHE, with themes of environmentalism and extremism. We have a full set of supporting characters fighting for what they think is right, and who lose their lives for it.

There's a *ton* of stuff that happens in Midgar. It's just that none of it in the original is given any time to breathe and, as a result, it tends to lack narrative impact.

Take people's reactions to Jesse. In the original, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are given a little characterization but not much. And then they're killed off when the plate falls. It's sad but it's sad in that distant way because we never really had time to get to know them. And you really can't. You're in midgar for five or six hours and 2/3 or more of that is away from AVALANCHE.

Now look at people's reactions from the trailers and demos to Jesse. We see that she's gotten a more bubbly personality, she's flirty as hell with Cloud. She's coming across so far as very likable and charming. And I've seen a ton of reactions from people who have played the original saying "Aw man, the plate fall is gonna hurt." They're anticipating a larger emotional reaction because of her role seemingly being expanded on and fleshed out a bit.

Now, who knows if it'll actually pan out that way, but this is the kind of stuff they *could* do with a fleshed out Midgar plot. Take those existing plot beats, let them breathe and develop a bit. Maybe it'll fall on its face, I dunno, but I can absolutely see the expansion of Midgar being a worthwhile endeavor.

I guess that's the distinction: I don't care about Jessie and Biggs because they die. I don't need to know more about them and I don't need stapled-on melodrama designed to make it hurt more when they get taken out. As far as I'm concerned, they're just casualties of war.

You can call me cavalier if you want and I'd understand that, but I would happily sacrifice those moments if it means I get things like Chocobo racing and Cid and Vincent faster. I want the full battle party.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
People are way off about Advent Children.

Cloud's true personality even in the first game is one of self-doubt. He refused to play with the other kids because he thought he was better than them, but really he was just afraid of getting close to others. He had a crush on Tifa; and after failing to save her from falling to her almost death he blamed himself and decided to join SOLDIER to become someone she could rely on. But he failed to make it into SOLDIER and hid from Tifa out of shame.

Even after regaining his true personality, he continues to blame himself for everything that's happening and apologizes and considers it a personal matter to save the world.

In Advent Children, we find that Cloud failed to save the world. He stopped Sephiroth and Meteor, but a lot of people have developed a terminal illness as a result. Cloud is also dying from this illness, as is his adopted son. Cloud blames himself and tries to find a cure while distancing himself from those he loves out of shame and to keep them from seeing him at a low point and losing hope. Him being depressed in that situation follows FF7 very well.

It feels like people want to conflate KH's edgelord Cloud with Advent Children's portrayal.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It would be cool if they tacked on a preview of the next game at the end.
I wouldn't expect it, but it might be possible. We do know they've already been working on the second installment for a little while now. But I would imagine it would be a very, very small bit, even possible a pre-rendered teaser like the original announcement for the project.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect it, but it might be possible. We do know they've already been working on the second installment for a little while now. But I would imagine it would be a very, very small bit, even possible a pre-rendered teaser like the original announcement for the project.
Maybe a post-credits cutscene like in the Kingdom Hearts games

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
in this new opening, all the zoomed back flying bird stuff prior to the aerith close-up is completely unnecessary, & actually damages the original effect of the zoom back that follows her close-up. the original works so memorably because it starts with simplicity/beauty/warmth & then shifts to complexity/ugliness/coldness...

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
in this new opening, all the zoomed back flying bird stuff prior to the aerith close-up is completely unnecessary, & actually damages the original effect of the zoom back that follows her close-up. the original works so memorably because it starts with simplicity/beauty/warmth & then shifts to complexity/ugliness/coldness...
I think it detracts from the foreshadowing of the cosmic horror angle of the plot.

The game starts with the camera just panning aimlessly around space while ominous music and voices are heard. Then it disolves into Aerith surrounded by lifestream particles.

Oct 30, 2017
In general, this interpretation of Midgar seems to look a little more modern as opposed to the more cyberpunk/retrofuturistic look of the original game. I don't think that's a bad thing altogether though. ANd there are plenty of elements from the original in there like the old timey cars.

Yeah, I don't disagree, its just weird to see two very different looks in the same trailer. But i think it might just be the different camera perspectives. When watching the bird the camera is very close to the buildings within in the city, where as later your seeing the whole city from a really high. It just looked very different from the two perspectives i thought. Felt like two different places.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Is it me, or does the city as portrayed in the day light part of the video look nothing like the Midgar we see later before the title appears? The first part makes it look like a sprawling modern day Tokyo, while later it looks like, well Midgar.

Yeah, I don't disagree, its just weird to see two very different looks in the same trailer. But i think it might just be the different camera perspectives. When watching the bird the camera is very close to the buildings within in the city, where as later your seeing the whole city from a really high. It just looked very different from the two perspectives i thought. Felt like two different places.
Oh yeah, I felt the exact same way. Honestly, I just think this might be a Nomura thing as when they showed the trailer for the first time in 2015, it had a more modern and realistic look. Since then, it's been retrofitted to look more like the original.

Nomura has what it feels like a psychotic desire to see all his ideas through, and nearly every shot of this trailer was in the 2015 trailer in some form.

I dunno, I just think it's weird. I'm also extremely disappointed that while we see so much of Midgar in the CG, we've yet to see any actual exploration of it. It just feels totally hollow. I could care less about the characterization of Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge since they all die anyway. With Midgar, there's so much for them to tap into.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are way off about Advent Children.

Cloud's true personality even in the first game is one of self-doubt. He refused to play with the other kids because he thought he was better than them, but really he was just afraid of getting close to others. He had a crush on Tifa; and after failing to save her from falling to her almost death he blamed himself and decided to join SOLDIER to become someone she could rely on. But he failed to make it into SOLDIER and hid from Tifa out of shame.

Even after regaining his true personality, he continues to blame himself for everything that's happening and apologizes and considers it a personal matter to save the world.

In Advent Children, we find that Cloud failed to save the world. He stopped Sephiroth and Meteor, but a lot of people have developed a terminal illness as a result. Cloud is also dying from this illness, as is his adopted son. Cloud blames himself and tries to find a cure while distancing himself from those he loves out of shame and to keep them from seeing him at a low point and losing hope. Him being depressed in that situation follows FF7 very well.

It feels like people want to conflate KH's edgelord Cloud with Advent Children's portrayal.

Thanks for that write-up. It's not often you find someone that actually understands what's up with AC Cloud. Most are all "muh emo edgelord".

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Long and boring until the last minute or so. I disapprove. Casuals will disapprove and disengage.

Cut it down to 2 min max.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good. Sadly i like the original intro far better... Has a bit more sense of urgency and feels a bit more adventurous.