• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
People are way off about Advent Children.

Cloud's true personality even in the first game is one of self-doubt. He refused to play with the other kids because he thought he was better than them, but really he was just afraid of getting close to others. He had a crush on Tifa; and after failing to save her from falling to her almost death he blamed himself and decided to join SOLDIER to become someone she could rely on. But he failed to make it into SOLDIER and hid from Tifa out of shame.

Even after regaining his true personality, he continues to blame himself for everything that's happening and apologizes and considers it a personal matter to save the world.

In Advent Children, we find that Cloud failed to save the world. He stopped Sephiroth and Meteor, but a lot of people have developed a terminal illness as a result. Cloud is also dying from this illness, as is his adopted son. Cloud blames himself and tries to find a cure while distancing himself from those he loves out of shame and to keep them from seeing him at a low point and losing hope. Him being depressed in that situation follows FF7 very well.

It feels like people want to conflate KH's edgelord Cloud with Advent Children's portrayal.

FINALLY someone else who gets it.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Other than swinging his sword, he does that exact same flip off the train in the original. It's completely intentional, and a core part of Cloud's persona to "look cool" (for a spoiler reason explained later in the game).

Also, fucking loved that opening. They even incorporated parts of the original announcement trailer into it, like the kids playing and the girl looking up to the sky, shots of the Midgar, etc.

With some "complaints" you wonder if people even palyed the original.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Just phenomenal. Goosebumps indeed

Does anyone know when the NDA lifts on the 3 hours the media got to play recently?

I was watching the Laymen Gaming reaction and they mentioned it.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cloud's true personality even in the first game is one of self-doubt. He refused to play with the other kids because he thought he was better than them, but really he was just afraid of getting close to others. He had a crush on Tifa; and after failing to save her from falling to her almost death he blamed himself and decided to join SOLDIER to become someone she could rely on. But he failed to make it into SOLDIER and hid from Tifa out of shame.

Even after regaining his true personality, he continues to blame himself for everything that's happening and apologizes and considers it a personal matter to save the world.

In Advent Children, we find that Cloud failed to save the world. He stopped Sephiroth and Meteor, but a lot of people have developed a terminal illness as a result. Cloud is also dying from this illness, as is his adopted son. Cloud blames himself and tries to find a cure while distancing himself from those he loves out of shame and to keep them from seeing him at a low point and losing hope. Him being depressed in that situation follows FF7 very well.

It feels like people want to conflate KH's edgelord Cloud with Advent Children's portrayal.

I don't agree at all. When he regains his true personality, we see that he becomes more open, more sincere and shows us he's way more goofy that he tried to look. There's a wonderful scene on the highwind with Yuffie in which he talks about how much he gets sick, just like her and is totally opposite of his usual stern look that Nomura likes him to portray him so much in AC. The actual Cloud is way more clumsy, goofy that his fake personality, something that the late game and even sometimes before, shows quite well.

What's more he totally places his trust on his friends to save the world, even if he considers it like his 'mission', he's glad he has his companions with him before entering the crater. Not only he becomes way more open about himself, even about his weaknesses, he learns to become dependant and perfectly understands he's not the perfect soldier he dreamed to become. He learns he needs others to succeed.

Then AC throws all that for the window, there's no sign of his actual personality in the movie, none of his more affective side, none of his more clumsy side, none of his more dependant side, he becomes his glorified super soldier image from the first half of the original game and never goes back. That's not a good character arc, that's shitting on everything that made your character relatable for the 'emo' image people built around him.

KH's Cloud edgelord and AC's Cloud is basically the same character. Everything you wrote about AC Cloud can be, literally, be transcribed to KH's Cloud. Nomura's Gackt era destroyed the character forever.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great, I'm pretty excited.

Also if you read the description of the video it says exactly where the first episode is going to end (
says when you escape from Midgar
)... I think that is the first time they have officially said that?
That's been in the product description on digital and physical marketplaces for months now.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When the title popped up I was already in tears, this games opening is still that powerful.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
its the same as the original, and people would complain if the scene would be changed
Not jumping off until after that when Barret cued him to was how it went in the original too, though.

EDIT: I see I wasn't the only one who remembered.
Huh. Oh yeah... you're right. I guess it didn't seem as awkward to think about it in the original due to the blocky graphics. But ehh, it's a minor thing, no biggie. It is still an ultimately cool moment seeing him jump off and get ready.

I'm really curious how they're gonna handle the ending with this first installment given that it'll only cover Midgar. Did they say already that they're changing the final boss to not be the... flamethrower death machine thing we fought in the original? I feel like I read that somewhere, though maybe that was just speculation. They can't possibly end the game on that boss, so I'm curious how they'll add another one in, if they do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Oh yeah... you're right. I guess it didn't seem as awkward to think about it in the original due to the blocky graphics. But ehh, it's a minor thing, no biggie. It is still an ultimately cool moment seeing him jump off and get ready.

I'm really curious how they're gonna handle the ending with this first installment given that it'll only cover Midgar. Did they say already that they're changing the final boss to not be the... flamethrower death machine thing we fought in the original? I feel like I read that somewhere, though maybe that was just speculation. They can't possibly end the game on that boss, so I'm curious how they'll add another one in, if they do.

They have not said what the final boss is but it would be pretty hilarious if they thought Motor Ball was a worthy final boss so it's almost definitely getting changed.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Has it been confirmed anywhere that this only covers the story up until the party leaves Midgar? Like an actual source? Or are people just assuming this?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I expect the main story to be 15-20 hours long and 30-40 if you do all the side content. Midgar was only about a four or five hour section in the original game. There's only so much bloat and filler they can add.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea there's a lot of bloat in this. Not exactly a good indication of how the rest of the game will go but eh.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Shame they felt a need to tack on all the Sephiroth Latin from ONe Winged Angel in the musical motif, but overall I don't really know how anyone can complain about this.

My big question is for anyone who HASN'T played this game or is confused about the Part system. I'm curious how players will feel with all this build up for Midgar only to never see any of this again until the very end of the story.
For new players part 3 or 4 return to Midgar will feel like MGS4 return to shadow Moses lol

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the main story to be 15-20 hours long and 30-40 if you do all the side content. Midgar was only about a four or five hour section in the original game. There's only so much bloat and filler they can add.

I see it as a full blown FF game. If the last few are any indication I expect 60 to 100 hours to Platinum. The main plot points are sign posts .They are going to add story to the game but will reach the same conclusions.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
They have not said what the final boss is but it would be pretty hilarious if they thought Motor Ball was a worthy final boss so it's almost definitely getting changed.
See, now I kinda wanna see a scenario in which it does turn out to be the final boss and they've added classic FF final boss multiple phases to it and it becomes this mega death machine thing with the most epic orchestral music accompanying it.
Well I'll be.

I'm in two minds about the added content. Too much bloat will be unnecessary, but I also fear that the game will be very short otherwise.

Could you imagine this game comes out and it's only like eight hours long?
Hopefully the execution will be good enough that it won't hurt the original story. I'm somewhat worried about it all too, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited at the thought of exploring more of Midgar and seeing more stories play out of it.

Having very recently finished the Midgar portion of the original, it's pretty cool going through the trailers again now to see what they've added and trying to fit them into the puzzle.
For new players part 3 or 4 return to Midgar will feel like MGS4 return to shadow Moses lol
That would be lovely for the new players, haha. I just hope they won't have to wait too long to feel that way cause I don't wanna have to wait too long to play the rest of the story.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Neat little GIF showing the difference between E3 2019's version of the intro and this latest one:

uKHp1Q6.gif

(source)

I like the latest version a lot more, though I do prefer the lighting in the E3 version more for the latter two shots.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is funny because a few days ago we basically just had "Square Enix releases the ending shot for Final Fantasy VII Remake"

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I tried not to watch it...

As soon as the logo appeared and the music kicked in, I was right back there on PS1 playing it for the first time and got the same chills.

Just as an aside, this was the first Final Fantasy we got in Europe and, as a result, the first one I ever played, so it's a massive nostalgia kick.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just as an aside, this was the first Final Fantasy we got in Europe and, as a result, the first one I ever played, so it's a massive nostalgia kick.

Nitpicking: The first FFs we got were actually Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu (released in Europe as "Mystic Quest") and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (released in Europe as "Mystic Quest Legend") :p

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

There was blog post where they very heavily hinted at adding a new final boss.

Link to the blog post

Tetsuya Nomura said:
With regard to new characters, of whom I said during past interviews that there would be "none" – though they aren't main characters, their numbers ended up growing considerably in the process of creating a rich depiction of Midgar. When you think of Midgar's final boss, you probably think of the M.O.T.O.R., but in this game new bosses will appear and add to the excitement of the story even more.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
As a long time FF7 fan, I will agree that the first part of the intro felt unnecessary, but I guess they just really just wanted to communicate that Midgar is a living, breathing city.

The second half though? Absolute perfection.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It will probably be one of these:
  • Rufus Shinra
  • JENOVA
  • Sephiroth

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

The issue is that Advent Children is a bad film.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
how sad is it that midgar increasingly reminds me of modern-day toronto? and how far ahead of their time were they in regards to climate change? very apropos for 2020. we should've listened then! AVALANCHE are pretty much a bunch of eco-terrorists and i love it.

also, that unnecessary flip that cloud does off the train never fails to crack me up. so cool, but so unnecessary.

anyway, i loved it. i cried. i need this game already

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
how sad is it that midgar increasingly reminds me of modern-day toronto? and how far ahead of their time were they in regards to climate change? very apropos for 2020. we should've listened then! AVALANCHE are pretty much a bunch of eco-terrorists and i love it.

also, that unnecessary flip that cloud does off the train never fails to crack me up. so cool, but so unnecessary.

anyway, i loved it. i cried. i need this game already

Why is him doing the flip is so unnecessary? It was in the original.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Why is him doing the flip is so unnecessary? It was in the original.
no shit, that's why i love it. what are you talking about, it's completely unnecessary, as in him actually flipping like the tryhard dork he was being at that point.

i wasn't talking about its actual inclusion 😓🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
To be fair the original had chibi models.

It would be like expecting Barret and Tifa to merge into Cloud just because that's what the party system was like in the original.

Not even the same comparison. It still looks cool as heck. Maybe I need to play these mainstream games to share the same opinion as some of you regarding the flip.