• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Couldn't find a thread on this. Also my first thread, go easy on me.

Was thinking about picking this up, but then I stumbled onto the Steam reviews and found an issue that hasn't been widely reported on yet.

On March 7th, 2019, Square Enix updated Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster to version 1.0.1, its only update since its release in May 2016.
GHp8z3Z.png

Square Enix only mentioned that they added bug fixes. However, they also either introduced a bug when adding Steamworks DRM which prevents offline play, in addition to breaking mods and causing launch issues and crashes for many players.
CbKekHd.png

nu6yjYC.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/b53y5o/psa_dont_buy_ffxx2_hd_on_steam/
No news outlets have reported on this, from what I've seen. The only places talking about it I can find are Steam reviews/discussions and the above reddit post.

There are ways of reverting to version 1.0.0, luckily.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359870/discussions/0/1839063537798763497/#c1850323802570327987
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1086279994

HAHAHAHAHA me if old.

Update:
I'm 99% certain this is a bug.
The question is how long it will take S-E to patch it.

Writing a review based on the product you receive is perfectly fine.
Whether it's a bug or intended DRM doesn't have any bearing on the end result for players who expected to play the game offline.
We are very much discussing a bug. There is zero evidence of "always online DRM" being implemented in the game. Previously, the game would boot without the Steam API dll. It is now hooked into Steam, but they seem to have done it wrong. Hence the game is crashing in offline mode, much like other Japanese/Japanese published games that crashed in offline mode.

The most likely explaination is that SE broke offline capabilities when they tried to add Steamworks DRM to the game (the game is not playable in both Steam's Offline Mode and Online Mode without an internet connection) instead of adding any seperate always online DRM solution. Hanlon's razor in action, folks.

No, not at all like that.

If a game doesn't work without an online connection, then from the consumer perspective it's always online. Whether that is by choice or by accident isn't actually relevant to the capabilities of the product.

Either way, the current version of FFX/X-2 for PC is not currently playable without an internet connection. It remains to be seen if this is intentional or unintentional,. but it's been 3 weeks and SE has yet to acknowledge it or any of the other bugs introduced in the update. This is this game's only update since its release almost three years ago, and given SE's poor track record of fixing its PC ports (see: Nier), I'm not holding my breath for a fix.

Last edited:

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SE has been going downhill in the decision making process. It's like they saw that capcom was doing better, saw it as a bad thing, and decided to take their place.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Square Enix and Konami trying very hard this gen to take EA's most hated game company award away.
Are the konami classic collections having always online drm?

I edited the OP, but I originally forgot to add that there is a method of reverting to version 1.0.0, so PC players aren't completely fucked
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359870/discussions/0/1839063537798763497/#c1850323802570327987
Heh i was gonna search for that myself, thanks for the link.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the game actually have always-online DRM or is this one of those cases where the update broke the game? There have been multiple cases where games stopped working offline due to API oversights. It seems to me people are just leaping to "always online DRM" when the studio screwing up modifications to the save/load system, for example, is equally, perhaps even more likely.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Does Steam's refund policy cover something like this? Surely publishers can't just pull that kind of shit.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why do this for old ass games.

I could have pirated this since 2001 if I wanted to.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
But why? Anyone who was interested in this game on PC would have gotten it by now. Square Enix is only harming loyal customers.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Does the game actually have always-online DRM or is this one of those cases where the update broke the game? There have been multiple cases where games stopped working offline due to API oversights. It seems to me people are just leaping to "always online DRM" when the studio screwing up modifications to the save/load system, for example, is equally, perhaps even more likely.
I only have the handful of Steam reviews/discussions to work of off, due to this not being covered by any news outlets.
People are saying SE has actually added DRM. In a best case scenario, SE only broke offline mode + introduced crashing & launching bugs
Perhaps someone who owns the game can chime in, I was thinking of picking this up on PC (hence how I came across it) but I don't want to support online only DRM + game breaking bugs with no acknowledgement (at worst) or breaking offline mode + game breaking bugs with no acknowledgement (at best)

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Curious if they do this to XII, since the new features added to the Switch/XB1 version make it the definitive release, on Xbox One X in particular.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Can't fix the music looping bug on FFIX and FFVII even as they release those ports on console after console, but can add DRM to a three year old port.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Wow, I fundamentally do not understand this move. They didn't add anything other than DRM, right? I guess it doesn't make sense even if they did... but still. What the heck?

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Wow, I fundamentally do not understand this move. They didn't add anything other than DRM, right? I guess it doesn't make sense even if they did... but still. What the heck?
They actually did add the minor bug fixes they said they did.
They also added DRM + crashing issues + launching issues + broke mods.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
They actually did add the minor bug fixes they said they did.
They also added DRM + crashing issues + launching issues + broke mods.
Sorry, to clarify I meant like, specific DLC or content that would potentially lead to more sales and necessitate sales protection.

I still don't think it would really make much sense even if this were the case, but, yeah.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Sorry, to clarify I meant like, specific DLC or content that would potentially lead to more sales and necessitate sales protection.

I still don't think it would really make much sense even if this were the case, but, yeah.
Yeah, no new added content besides "minor bug fixes"
Did they fix the music bug?
The music bug was fixed in the PS4 version in 2015, many months before the PC version came out
Did they seriously not include that fix in PC v1.0.0?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely the game already has a pirated version out there, though, so what's the point?!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
That title banner is very fitting. That's a really dick move, SE.

Also if this is going to be the case with future Square Enix titles on Steam, looks like I would have to avoid them on that platform from now on.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
SE can't be bothered to fix the music loop bug in their half assed ports of FF7 and FF9 after several fucking years but they took the time to add DRM to this? Lol foh with this shit Square.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
That title banner is very fitting. That's a really dick move, SE.

Also if this is going to be the case with future Square Enix titles on Steam, looks like I would have to avoid them on that platform from now on.
Thanks. I was torn between Tidus laughing and Shinji Hashimoto laughing, it was a tough call

All of SE's new releases already include Denuvo and have for some time (FFXV, Last Alive, basically any full price SE game in the past year or so)

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I am no longer capable of being surprised by the moronic shit Square Enix do.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the most fucked up shit I've heard. The game is out there in the open. Both on Steam and pirate site, what's a DRM gonna do now?