• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Why? They realize that cracked version from 3 years ago won't be affected by this move and still be available to anyone? This is the most idiotic update I've heard of.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Why? They realize that cracked version from 3 years ago won't be affected by this move and still be available to anyone? This is the most idiotic update I've heard of.
The cracked version* is also superior to the version you can pay Square Enix money for (mods working, game not crashing in-game or at launch > "minor bugfixes")

(*You could also buy the game and then downgrade it, which is what you should actually do if you are a PC player and want to play X/X-2)

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the pirates will stop playing their pirated copy from years ago because they will be missing this awesome patch, good job square enix! /s

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
It's kind of ridiculous that despite owning this on both PS4 and PC, an emulator is still my best option.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty disgusting. It's true, I just tried launching it without an internet connection and it failed.

WTF...

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
Made a Steam backup of it's files way back in August 2018, and still have it. I guess I'll have to lug that 33 GB monstrosity around until the end of time now if I ever want to play offline...

But seriously, this is really dumb. I feel like I should backup my other SE games before they screw those up too, since I do tend to play games offline occasionally. Square-Enix continues to lose my interest... The latest "new" game I bought from them was FF14 1.0, and now they're even pushing me away from the old classics.

Oh well. Their loss, not mine as far as I'm concerned. I'm just not part of their "target market" anymore.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I did not get any error message, the game simply did not start and its status went from "-Running" to "-Syncing" right next to its name.
Thanks.
Made a Steam backup of it's files way back in August 2018, and still have it. I guess I'll have to lug that 33 GB monstrosity around until the end of time now if I ever want to play offline...

But seriously, this is really dumb. I feel like I should backup my other SE games before they screw those up too, since I do tend to play games offline occasionally. Square-Enix continues to lose my interest... The latest "new" game I bought from them was FF14 1.0, and now they're even pushing me away from the old classics.

Oh well. Their loss, not mine as far as I'm concerned. I'm just not part of their "target market" anymore.
If you follow this guide, you can get only the v1.0.0 files they changed and just back that up (~800mb), placing those files on top of a v1.0.1 install will revert you to v1.0.0
https://steamcommunity.com/app/359870/discussions/0/1839063537798763497/#c1850323802570327987

Oct 27, 2017
So console versions are the definitive version? I was going to buy the game as my spring game (bought it at spring many years ago, the memories), guess it is best I get it on PS4 then.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So console versions are the definitive version? I was going to buy the game as my spring game (bought it at spring many years ago, the memories), guess it is best I get it on PS4 then.
I'd probably still go with the PC version. The "Untitled" Project X mod adds a lot of features. You have to decide if you want to jump through the hoops to downgrade from v1.0.1 to v1.0.0 first, I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix won't fucking fix their games but they do this shit, they can get super fucked.

Does XII have any of this crap?

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Square Enix won't fucking fix their games but they do this shit, they can get super fucked.

Does XII have any of this crap?
XII and XV just straight up have Denuvo in them
VII and VIII still have the weird Square Enix account DRM in them too

edit: might as well finish off the mainline FF Steam sin list
FF I & II do not exist on Steam (not counted in total below)
FF III-VI are ports of the mobile versions (the mobile port of III is a port of the DS version though and not those shitty artstyle mobile ports, that one's good I think)
VII and VIII have the weird SE account DRM
IX: fine, except the music bug which plagues all of the new ports
X/X-2: see this thread
XI: fine, just downloads the client through Steam, you can even mix and match Steam and non-Steam base game/xpacs unlike XIV, key that Steam gives you is no different from anywhere else
XII: Denuvo
XIII trilogy: awful ports
XIV: fine, you have to buy xpacs on Steam if you bought the base game there, I don't really consider it a big issue, ESO does the same
XV: Denuvo

That's 4 (III, IX, XI, XIV)* out 16 decent ports, good job SE
*I'm not sure I'd count XI or XIV as ports, they were developed for PC equally alongside console versions, so drop it to 2 out of 14 if you want

Last edited:

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
My personal speculation is that SE thinks PC piracy will cannibalize sales of the upcoming Switch/XB1 ports
That doesn't make any sense, but that's the only reason I can think of, not sure why else DRM would be added now
But, the pirated version is already out there, for many years. Installing DRM on the paid version will not delete that one from the internet.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Yeah, about a week ago I thought I had done something weird with Untitled Project X because parts of it weren't working anymore, but when I saw the version number in the launcher my jaw hit the floor. After almost three years with the game at v1.0.0, Square just randomly makes a "bugfix" patch for this (without any patch notes, ofc) and publishes it??

Mmm, PC's still the best version right now. Autosave is godlike, and the boosters are a welcome relief for someone who's been through the games a ton.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, pirates can get their DRM-free copies of this quite easily, so it is only paying customers that suffer from this now.

Fuck off, Squeenix.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
But, the pirated version is already out there, for many years. Installing DRM on the paid version will not delete that one from the internet.
But we're dealing with SE
source.gif

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. But I just want to start up the game and play, no messing around. Already searching for a PS4 copy.
No worries. PC is the best version technically, but it is a bad version for someone who just wants to sit down and play

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah, about a week ago I thought I had done something weird with Untitled Project X because parts of it weren't working anymore, but when I saw the version number in the launcher my jaw hit the floor. After almost three years with the game at v1.0.0, Square just randomly makes a "bugfix" patch for this (without any patch notes, ofc) and publishes it??
There are instructions in the OP to get back to v1.0.0 and thus get Untitled Project X working again if you haven't done so yet

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I could give SE the benefit of the doubt that the always online change was somehow just offline mode being broken, but even if that were the case they probably aren't even going to fix it, or anything else this patched messed up.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I could give SE the benefit of the doubt that the always online change was somehow just offline mode being broken, but even if that were the case they probably aren't even going to fix it, or anything else this patched messed up.
Yeah, it might still be that (we don't have a lot of info), but like you said, they aren't gonna fix it either way. They have not acknowledged the problems the patched caused, and their support is apparently not saying anything helpful

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 of 2 things:

1. Accident of some sort, possible.
2. They have some paranoid shareholders that are like "The Switch and Xbox versions won't sell because people can pirate it on PC!" and Square has done this to appease them. Also, sadly possible, even with the context of it being out for 3 years.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
1 of 2 things:

1. Accident of some sort, possible.
2. They have some paranoid shareholders that are like "The Switch and Xbox versions won't sell because people can pirate it on PC!" and Square has done this to appease them. Also, sadly possible, even with the context of it being out for 3 years.
Neither would surprise me, but I doubt it'll get fixed no matter what the cause is

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This is the same Square Enix that removed The Last Remnant from Steam so they could sell a "remaster" on PS4

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Strange, I downloaded a copy of the game through Steam around the 15th of this month, and it's version 1.0.0.0, going by what Windows is telling me.

The Untitled and Sin Unleashed mods still work, so... I guess it's the unupdated version? I wonder what's going on.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This is so hilariously stupid that I don't really even know how to react lol

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
What.
Is this really true? Because this sounds insane and completely nonsensical???

I mean, SE is known to make nonsensical decisions, but this would be insane even by their standards

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, and the only way this came to surface is through those dastardly user reviews. If only they didn't exist, amirite.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Strange, I downloaded a copy of the game through Steam around the 15th of this month, and it's version 1.0.0.0, going by what Windows is telling me.

The Untitled and Sin Unleashed mods still work, so... I guess it's the unupdated version? I wonder what's going on.
Does the launcher tell you v1.0.0? I don't think the version number of the exe in Windows means anything, SE probably doesn't bother to edit those
If the launcher says you have v1.0.0, consider yourself lucky
Outrage aside, isn't this just flat out illegal?
I'm not a legal expert, but I don't a EULA would supercede any consumer protections that you would be subject to, if any would cover this situation
More importantly, no one will take SE to court over this

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Launcher says 1.0.1

Trying to launch it with the router turned off seems to prevent launching, so... yeah.

Fuck.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Can anyone here with the game do any testing so we can narrow down what SE actually did (either added DRM or broke offline mode)?
Does v1.0.2 launch in Online Mode if you disconnect from the internet first?
Does v1.0.2 launch in Offline Mode (answer seems to be no)?
Does v1.0.2 reverted back to v1.0.0 launch in Offline Mode?

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Launcher says 1.0.1

Trying to launch it with the router turned off seems to prevent launching, so... yeah.

Fuck.
In Online Mode?
Does putting your computer back on the internet, switching to Offline Mode, then running it work (the answer should be no, but I'd appreciate more confirmation given the limited amount of reports on this)?

Last edited: