• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
In Online Mode?
Does putting your computer back on the internet, switching to Offline Mode, then running it work?
When I had the router switched off.

Turning the router back on - so that FFX can actually boot, fiddling with some online DRM-bypass settings in the Untitled mod, then turning the router off (ie. putting the desktop computer offline), then launching the game - seems to allow the game to boot up offline.
However, this means dealing with having the Untitled mod installed - not exactly the most intuitive solution.

EDIT: When I had been playing a few nights before, I had have had the router turned off before shutting the game down - it seems that the online check only happens during bootup?

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
When I had the router switched off.

Turning the router back on - so that FFX can actually boot, fiddling with some online DRM-bypass settings in the Untitled mod, then turning the router off (ie. putting the desktop computer offline), then launching the game - seems to allow the game to boot up offline.
However, this means dealing with having the Untitled mod installed - not exactly the most intuitive solution.
But you didn't go to Steam -> Go Offline.. to switch to Offline Mode at any point, right? Just touching the router? Offline Mode is how you're supposed to play Steam games offline, and many people are reporting that FFX/X-2 does not boot in Offline Mode
So you had an internet connection when you hit Play in Steam, then turned the internet off?
Someone in here reported it checks when you hit play/when the launcher begins to boot, and this thing certainly doesn't have Denuvo, I wouldn't be surprised if they only do a simple check when you hit Play/when the launcher boots and that mods don't factor in

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
It's easier for me to flick the power switch off on the router, than to click the "Offline Mode" switch in Steam.

I'm Australian - we have physical switches on our power sockets for turning things on and off!

But, yeah. Without any mods bypassing the checks, I can't get FFX to boot without an internet connection. It will boot with an internet connection.
The Untitled mod does allow for bypassing the online checks, it seems.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Running it with Steam in Offline Mode does seem to get the launcher running, but prevents the game actually loading.

Different behavior to actually having no internet at all - where it'd just crash the launcher outright.

This MAY be latent behavior thanks to having to disable Untitled mod's bypasses, however. Maybe some of them still work for the launcher, but not the game itself? I dunno. Don't trust me or anyone else with that mod installed as a good reliable measure. :D

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's easier for me to flick the power switch off on the router, than to click the "Offline Mode" switch in Steam.

I'm Australian - we have physical switches on our power sockets for turning things on and off!

But, yeah. Without any mods bypassing the checks, I can't get FFX to boot without an internet connection. It will boot with an internet connection.
The Untitled mod does allow for bypassing the online checks, it seems.
Yeah. I was just asking since Offline Mode is how you're supposed to go offline long term on Steam. Online mode + a lost internet connection will eventually cause problems, so if someone is expecting to be offline for an extended period of time, they need to go into Offline Mode when they have an internet connection, and the reports say that FFX does not boot at all in Offline Mode

Running it with Steam in Offline Mode does seem to get the launcher running, but prevents the game actually loading.

Different behavior to actually having no internet at all - where it'd just crash the launcher outright.

This MAY be latent behavior thanks to having to disable Untitled mod's bypasses, however. Maybe some of them still work for the launcher, but not the game itself? I dunno. Don't trust me or anyone else with that mod installed as a good reliable measure. :D
That's what other people are reporting as well in Offline Mode (launcher boots but game is not playable), but I do not know if they are also mod users, and some are also reporting the same crash-esque behavior you experience in Online Mode w/o internet

So yeah, it seems there's no way to boot FFX/X-2 without an internet connection. Maybe someone more knowledgeable like JaseC can chime in, but if a game is booting to a launcher but refusing to launch the game when Steam is in Offline Mode, that seems like SE added DRM and not anything to do with Steam's Offline Mode itself, otherwise the launcher should also refuse to launch

Last edited:

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I just wish that it'd crash gracefully if you're just launching the game in Offline Mode. The way it is right now, it doesn't tell you WHY it crashed.

With the Internet outright disconnected, but with Steam running online, it at least tells you it struggled to sychronize online files. What files it's synchronizing is beyond me.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I just wish that it'd crash gracefully if you're just launching the game in Offline Mode. The way it is right now, it doesn't tell you WHY it crashed.

With the Internet outright disconnected, but with Steam running online, it at least tells you it struggled to sychronize online files. What files it's synchronizing is beyond me.
Yeah, not only is it scummy to add DRM without telling anyone, it's doubly scummy to not even tell you that it's stopping you from playing due to DRM.
Say what you will about Denuvo, but at least they have the decency to tell me "fuck off, you can't play because you aren't connect to the internet"

If Steam is telling you the synching files thing, it's probably just Steam Cloud flipping it's shit b/c you're in Online Mode w/o an Internet connection and it can't sync saves, even though it should be able to in Online Mode

Last edited:

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
If we roll back the previous version of the executables but keep the current version of steamapi.dll which was included with the latest patch, the game refuses to load.

explorer_UR7B9K4lNL.png

If we used the original version (v1.0.0) of the steamapi.dll, SpecialK simply displays the nag screen and can't proceed any further since it's expecting the official steamapi.dll (since the previous version is considered unofficial)

FFX_twG9VhYhMU.png

Either way, Squeenix was fucking up legitimate PC players like they always did.

Last edited:

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't people....pirate the game for three years?

Who is this gonna stop? Couldn't someone have done so already, or more crucially, just go for the version before this?

Clearly the issues the game had were not severe if this is the first update in nearly three years.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So let me get this straight. Square refuses to acknowledge or patch a plethora of issues that are -- by all accounts -- pretty easy to address in their collection of piss-poor ports across various platforms. Square sells this particular game to people three years ago. Square still doesn't patch the laundry list of actual, extant issues elsewhere. Square patches this game with janky DRM and calls it a "bug fix," by and large punishing the community of people who legitimately purchased the game.

This is unbelievably scummy.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Fixing old games like Nier is a no-no, but they have no qualms in paying someone (internal or external) to add bullshit DRM to old games.
Go Square.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
XII and XV just straight up have Denuvo in them
VII and VIII still have the weird Square Enix account DRM in them too

edit: might as well finish off the mainline FF Steam sin list
FF I & II do not exist on Steam (not counted in total below)
FF III-VI are ports of the mobile versions (the mobile port of III is a port of the DS version though and not those shitty artstyle mobile ports, that one's good I think)
VII and VIII have the weird SE account DRM
IX: fine, except the music bug which plagues all of the new ports
X/X-2: see this thread
XI: fine, just downloads the client through Steam, you can even mix and match Steam and non-Steam base game/xpacs unlike XIV, key that Steam gives you is no different from anywhere else
XII: Denuvo
XIII trilogy: awful ports
XIV: fine, you have to buy xpacs on Steam if you bought the base game there, I don't really consider it a big issue, ESO does the same
XV: Denuvo

That's 4 (III, IX, XI, XIV)* out 16 decent ports, good job SE
*I'm not sure I'd count XI or XIV as ports, they were developed for PC equally alongside console versions, so drop it to 2 out of 14 if you want
Hey now FFIV is a good port of the DS version....

Sure it's not the incredible Complete Collection version but it still does the job well.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So let me get this straight. Square refuses to acknowledge or patch a plethora of issues that are -- by all accounts -- pretty easy to address in their collection of piss-poor ports across various platforms. Square sells this particular game to people three years ago. Square still doesn't patch the laundry list of actual, extant issues elsewhere. Square patches this game with janky DRM and calls it a "bug fix," by and large punishing the community of people who legitimately purchased the game.

This is unbelievably scummy.
They did actually add bug fixes apparently, they just added DRM and more issues along side them.
More post-launch support is always a good thing, but no one was clamoring for a patch like people are for Nier: A, and they didn't even tell us what they fixed
Hey now FFIV is a good port of the DS version....

Sure it's not the incredible Complete Collection version but it still does the job well.
Shit, you're right. I thought IV was a shitty new art 2D version like V and VI, not like III (DS 3D remake -> mobile -> Steam)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Wow! This is just malice at this point!

S-E literally don't benefit from this at all; people have already pirated it!

This is literally them throwing a middle finger at their PC customers.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
I had problems with the update but uninstalling untitled and reinstalling the latest version fixed that for me, also it seems that reshade included in this had some problems.

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Such a wrong decision from SE. I hope they don´t plan to poo this way on every pc-release they have ever published.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
But remember guys, review bombing games due to DRM changes is bad according to Valve and some people on this forum.

SE can fuck off with this. What a gigantic dick move for legitimate consumers.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
That's the dumbest thing I ever read.
This only fucks over the paying customers as the people that pirated it did it most likely years ago already and won't have this problem.
I mean isnt it normal to remove DRM months after launch? Cause the protection gets cracked and it isn't doing what its supposed to anymore?

This has to be a test or something.
I otherwise don't get it.
I mean it's just an HD Remaster.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Great. And thanks to Valve's new review bomb detection, customers can rail all they want and Square doesn't have to give a single fuck.

Double great.

550740084861960213.png

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But remember guys, review bombing games due to DRM changes is bad according to Valve and some people on this forum.
It's better than ill-informed people review bombing a game because of imaginary "always online DRM". Kinda like when people review bombed Sonic Mania because it had a bug preventing it booting offline.

Nov 1, 2017
It baffles me that Square Enix treats what you could argue is its most iconic and important franchise so poorly. All the myriad of issues with the older PS1 ports, Chrono Trigger, the less said about what they fucking did to FF6 the better.

Like, who is making these decisions? What the fuck are you people doing?

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I would argue that reviews often include notices/complains about bugs and as so we all consider them valid.
However, in our case here, we are not discussing about a bug but about a "feature".

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than ill-informed people review bombing a game because of imaginary "always online DRM". Kinda like when people review bombed Sonic Mania because it had a bug preventing it booting offline.
... If a game isn't functionning as it should, then a bad review is absolutely justified. The purpose of reviews is literally to inform potential buyers about the qualities of a product (good or bad, depending on the game). Besides, reviews can be changed once the problem is fixed.

So no, it's absolutely not better by any stretch of the imagination.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
However, in our case here, we are not discussing about a bug but about a "feature".
We are very much discussing a bug. There is zero evidence of "always online DRM" being implemented in the game. Previously, the game would boot without the Steam API dll. It is now hooked into Steam, but they seem to have done it wrong. Hence the game is crashing in offline mode, much like other Japanese/Japanese published games that crashed in offline mode.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
We are very much discussing a bug. There is zero evidence of "always online DRM" being implemented in the game. Previously, the game would boot without the Steam API dll. It is now hooked into Steam, but they seem to have done it wrong. Hence the game is crashing in offline mode, much like other Japanese/Japanese published games that crashed in offline mode.

Has SE confirmed this or it is another assumption?

Even if it is not a "feature" it does not change the fact that the point that you made about reviews is false.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I guess there's a defense on ERA for everything.

Stealth added online DRM and shity business practices. Lovley.