• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess there's a defense on ERA for everything.

Stealth added online DRM and shity business practices. Lovley.
Technical incompetence and "stealth added DRM" are wildly different things. Unless you think that Final Fantasy Type-0 crashing on Windows 10 was "anti-Windows 10 DRM" or something.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Make's no sense they would add DRM after 3 year's, if they did they must have some personal vendetta against buyers to do that.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
That's sickening. Have the game in my library and was planning to play it with mods. Good to know that it's possible to downgrade.
Doesn't Steam allow disabling auto updates to avoid this type of customer abuse?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just wish that it'd crash gracefully if you're just launching the game in Offline Mode. The way it is right now, it doesn't tell you WHY it crashed.

With the Internet outright disconnected, but with Steam running online, it at least tells you it struggled to sychronize online files. What files it's synchronizing is beyond me.

Yeah this just sounds like a really bad bug, not DRM at all.

Possibly a Mistake

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm 99% certain this is a bug.
The question is how long it will take S-E to patch it.

Steam reviews are not bug trackers. The community forums exist for such feedback.
Writing a review based on the product you receive is perfectly fine.
Whether it's a bug or intended DRM doesn't have any bearing on the end result for players who expected to play the game offline.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if they gave the game a solid sale price piracy wouldn't jump so high.
Adding drm does nothing of value for those who already paid.
I mean...it has to be because of that. right?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the game where you have to mod it to access the Japanese voice track, that's actually already in the game files?!

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
lmao SE is mad they cant taste success on pc like capcom and from soft. they will go epic store exxclusive.
At least Capcom when remaster something you know it will be 20€ or 30€, in a way the game can be accessible to everyone. Square prices their release randomly, FFXII whish is a simple remastered costs 50 fucking €, the same price FFXV with all dlcs released on PC. Romancing Saga 2 is 25€, Lost Sphear is again 50€ like a triple A release, I'm Setsuna is 40€, how can they hope to sell as much as Capcom does? The baffling thing is when they started porting the FF games on PC the prices were very accessible, FFXII was like 13€ if I remember correctly, than they sold many copies and went crazy and saw they could charge more.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no DRM info on the Steam Store page, which I think all always-online games have? Has anyone tried contact Square Enix?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding reviews, are those being updated or removed if issues like this are fixed? Or dont people bother updating them with relevant information?

Maybe if they gave the game a solid sale price piracy wouldn't jump so high.
Adding drm does nothing of value for those who already paid.
I mean...it has to be because of that. right?
More likely a bug. I havnt heard of anyone adding online DRM to a single player only game about 3 years after its initial release. The update is also a small one (supposedly only fixes some smaller bugs), so its not a patch that brings new content to the game and try to breathe new life into it, or anything like that. If that was the case, maybe i could see them add DRM.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a bug, we can wait to see. I tried to boot the game. It worked first time, but controller support didn't work, so reset it, restarted it, and it crashed a couple of times. I am running Kaladien's mod, thankfully it has an autoupdate option, so I updated it and now it seemed to work fine.

However, I went offline on steam, and found that the game crashes even before the game selection menu pops up. Could be a bug, could be drm. We will see. I'm going to assume the former unless they never say anything or try to fix it. Hopefully they will respond soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Say it with me, folks.

DRM complaints are "off-topic review bombing"

Yes, they are. When a game description clearly states it has DRM denuvo on store page and you still buy it despite not wanting a game with DRM, it's stupid giving a negative review. Would be much better to not buy it at all if you want your voice heard.

In case it's confirmed that Square Enix stealthly added DRM after release that's scummy and deserves to be called out with a negative review.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
"ALWAYS ONLINE DRM!" on a game that does not in fact have always-online DRM is not. Kinda like those people who leave negative reviews complaining about FOV sliders on games that do in fact have FOV sliders.
No, not at all like that.

If a game doesn't work without an online connection, then from the consumer perspective it's always online. Whether that is by choice or by accident isn't actually relevant to the capabilities of the product.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a game doesn't work without an online connection, then from the consumer perspective it's always online. Whether that is by choice or by accident isn't actually relevant to the capabilities of the product.
It is wholly relevant when you consider how hysterical and paranoid and conspiracy-minded portions of Steam's userbase tend to be. The difference between noting accurately that a game is crashing for an unknown reason, and making (likely false) claims about always online DRM being inserted into a game is a very large one. Noting that Final Fantasy Type-0 crashes on Windows 10 is one thing. Claiming that Square Enix inserted anti-Windows 10 DRM into the game would be something very different. Steam's general community has a conspiracy-mongering problem. The way literally anything associated with DRM is handled is a good demonstration of this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they are. When a game description clearly states it has DRM denuvo on store page and you still buy it despite not wanting a game with DRM, it's stupid giving a negative review. Would be much better to not buy it at all if you want your voice heard.

In case it's confirmed that Square Enix stealthly added DRM after release that's scummy and deserves to be called out with a negative review.

I tend to agree, but I don't think the new system will make distinction between these two cases.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
"ALWAYS ONLINE DRM!" on a game that does not in fact have always-online DRM is not. Kinda like those people who leave negative reviews complaining about FOV sliders on games that do in fact have FOV sliders.

The diagnosis of why being incorrect does not change much about the validity of a review that something doesn't work.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The amount of software piracy on PC is astounding. IIRC, more than 80% of the people who played World of Goo on PC did it with a pirated copy. Square Enix probably got the same statistic and then decided to act upon it.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why reviews constantly have to be used for these sorts of complaints, when they also have forums.
Imagine this was an error on their part and they get review bombed for it Lol

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
The amount of software piracy on PC is astounding. IIRC, more than 80% of the people who played World of Goo on PC did it with a pirated copy. Square Enix probably got the same statistic and then decided to act upon it.
What a dumb statement. Three years after the release of the game, when the game is available to pirates from three years, you put a drm so that legit owners can only play it while connected to the Internet. It makes sense.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Not sure why reviews constantly have to be used for these sorts of complaints, when they also have forums.
Imagine this was an error on their part and they get review bombed for it Lol

Because that's what these reviews are for.
Imagine a product getting bad reviews because it does not work lol

Please tell me more

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
My personal speculation is that SE thinks PC piracy will cannibalize sales of the upcoming Switch/XB1 ports
That doesn't make any sense, but that's the only reason I can think of, not sure why else DRM would be added now

If that's true, really cute of them to think this would stop piracy.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

What if the game being released without online DRM was actually the bug, and they finally fixed it with this patch?

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
What a dumb statement. Three years after the release of the game, when the game is available to pirates from three years, you put a drm so that legit owners can only play it while connected to the Internet. It makes sense.
But in 2019 who dont have a "always on" home internet connection? This drama is just stupid.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's frustrating. Surely it's gotta be a bug since there's no point adding DRM to a 3 year old game.

I'd like to believe it'd get fixed but considering their track record with past ports...

Annoying it breaks mods too. Having to roll back to previous versions is kind of a pain since you have to play them with steam offline. :/