• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
With today's release of Dragon Quest XI S, Square removed the original version from Steam. It shouldn't come as a great surprise considering how these things usually go, but it's still a bit disappointing. S is a port of the Switch version and, despite some improvements, has some major graphical differences when compared to the original release.

Edit: Here's a direct link to the original version Steam Page as it seems the Embed doesn't work anymore.

If you REALLY want to secure a copy of the original release, Humble still has keys for it. No one knows for how long though.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks. This is a pretty different version and there are good reasons people may prefer to play the original release.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Even though the original Skyrim is unlisted, you can still buy the game directly from Steam.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
39577-FFB-A0754-F01-BB91-403983-B4996-C.jpg

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Square out there releasing full priced new versions instead of patching old ones just like Nier. They'll sell you fucking DLC but not fix their games or if they do it takes a couple of years to get round to it.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Prepare for original physical version to Price itself higher everywhere just because (happens with all Dragon Quest games anyways)

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could very easily give the original game for free with purchase of the new version, especially as they don't plan to sell it anymore.

But they won't because it's Square Enix.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
That's dumb. They should keep the original up. Hopefully they don't remove the original from PSN either.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly, I don't see the problem here? This new edition is better in pretty much every way because of the orchestral music and extra content I thought right?

OP
OP
cvbas

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This is some major bullshit by SE. It makes sense to maybe stop printing new discs of the original version, but why take it off storefronts? They could easily just add a banner to the pages promoting the new version for new players instead.

You can still buy the original Person 5 on PSN even after Royal. No reason why SE couldn't do the same.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Square pretty much always does this. Deus Ex Human Revolution. Sleeping Dogs. It's frustrating like always but unfortunately expected.

OP
OP
cvbas

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Honestly, I don't see the problem here? This new edition is better in pretty much every way because of the orchestral music and extra content I thought right?
On PC you could easily mod the Orchestral Soundtrack into the game and pretty much all players did that. The S version has the orchestral music built-in, but the graphics are much worse.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
To the graveyard along with The Last Remnant Steam.

The original version of Dragon Quest XI looks much better. Pretty messed up that they'd do this... glad I have the Steam version of the vanilla release already.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
lol would only be better if it were no words

but yikes. that stinks. too bad there isn't a true definitive version.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Someone is going to mod this all back in I suppose?
There's nothing to mod back in, the S version is better in every way except for the graphics being a bit worse. It's dumb that they based the S version on the Switch's graphics but I'd never want to go back and play the original over the new version, and I bought the original version twice.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolute bs. There is no reason why both versions can't exist at the same time. It would be different if XI S had the same graphics as XI but it doesn't.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least they had a replacement for it this time, instead of just removing it from sale... and then never doing anything.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I like what I'm seeing with the new one on PC, but it is disappointing to know that it has downgraded graphics. I've only played the Switch version though so everything is still an upgrade for me.

About the original one, does it at least have support for the following (new version does from what I tested):

- 21:9 support
- uncapped framerates
- exclusive fullscreen for proper gsync support

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing to mod back in, the S version is better in every way except for the graphics being a bit worse. It's dumb that they based the S version on the Switch's graphics but I'd never want to go back and play the original over the new version, and I bought the original version twice.

Says there's nothing to mod back in, instantly gives example of something to mod back in.

However I understand that it's basically impossible to do in this case. Oh well a shame there will never be a definitive version of this game.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me that The Last Remnant was taken down from Steam and the remaster was released for the PS4, Switch, and even mobile phones and they still haven't brought it back to Steam, lol. Wonder if they ever will.

Anyway I get it from the standpoint of preventing confusion but stuff like this is a little unfortunate.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Shows how much of a shit show the whole development of this game was.