• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
www.eurogamer.net

Square Enix announces return of Dungeon Siege

Square Enix's dormant Dungeon Siege series is being revived - as voxel content in "metaverse" game The Sandbox. Dungeon…

As per press release:
HONG KONG – February 28, 2022 – The Sandbox, a leading decentralized gaming virtual world and a subsidiary of Animoca Brands, announced today that it has partnered with SQUARE ENIX® to bring the legendary RPG IP, Dungeon Siege, to The Sandbox gaming metaverse. The collaboration comprises two complementary parts. The first will deliver a Dungeon Siege LAND on Square Enix's estate with interactive RPG experiences players can enjoy while learning best practices for constructing Dungeon Siege adventures. The second will make Dungeon Siege voxel characters and items available for players and creators to incorporate into their unique experiences using The Sandbox's free VoxEdit and Game Maker #nocode creation tools.

Really coming out swinging here. If the video doesn't play the version hosted by Eurogamer on their website should.

Resurrect classic IP as part of a MLM scam riddled economy if old.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
But why Dungeon Siege? DS3 came out in 2011, and wasn't received all that well.

Also, I had no idea SE owned it, when did that happen?

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017

Why Dungeon Siege: Likely because it's a dead IP that S-E can throw out there as proof to investors that they're getting on the NFT train without jeopardizing one of their franchises that people care about. If the whole thing is a failure, oh well, not many people care about Dungeon Siege in 2022 anyway.

As for when, S-E bought Dungeon Siege in...2010, I think?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a boxed copy of Dungeon Siege 2 back in... 2006? Alongside Oblivion. Anyway, I never opened it, and have yet to play any game in the franchise.

This has been story time with Strings.

OP
OP
Zero-ELEC

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

They obtained the IP... sometime before Dungeon Siege III and were the ones that commissioned Obsidian to make the game to begin with. That story was always unclear to me.
I found news from 2010 explaining how SE own this IP

www.gamasutra.com

Legacy Gamasutra URLs are experiencing issues | Game Developer

An update on URL redirects, blog submissions, and newsletters
Oh, they just bought it straight up? Strange pick.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
That whole paragraph made me throw up in my mouth a bit. Square Enix's Estate? Sounds like some digital land Baron.

Count me out.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
This feels kind of like pachinko Metal Gear.

Not as bad, because I care less about Dungeon Siege, but worse, because it's NFT.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda suprised Square beat Konami to the punch on this one. Expecting Silent Hill, Castlevania and Metal Gear to appear as NFTs for some metaverse nonsense.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
riddle me this cryptonerds:
if these things a re worth a lot of money, why do these NFTs always look like the cheapest shit possible
day 1 "how to do pixel art" energy here
can't they hire a decent artists to do these? like I know all my friends keep turning down those DMs, but they gotta be able to find somebody right?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember there was a Movie, with Jason Statham, I think his name even was "Farmer"? lol

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Welp, we'd might as well use this thread to reminisce on Dungeon Siege's excellent theme:

That first game was really cool for its time -- it's basically Diablo, but instead of dropping into instanced dungeons and going back to town, it used this newfangled "streaming" tech that gave you one big load screen at session start, and then let you play for as long as you wanted. The multiplayer was also really neat: persistent, player-controlled worlds.

Also, that game had a spectacular UI simply for it's "dump everything on the (literal) mule and go" button.

The two sequels and mobile games didn't recapture the magic.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Incredible that the gaming industry found a worse way to use an IP than "as a gacha mobile game".

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems bizarre to use the name for this, but I guess it got me to click.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"The Sandbox, a leading decentralized gaming virtual world and a subsidiary of Animoca Brands, announced today that it has partnered with SQUARE ENIX® to bring the legendary RPG IP, Dungeon Siege, to The Sandbox gaming metaverse."

how many buzzwords can we squeeze in a sentence? i almost thought they'd fail to include 'metaverse,' but thankfully they got it in right before the buzzer

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Why Dungeon Siege: Likely because it's a dead IP that S-E can throw out there as proof to investors that they're getting on the NFT train without jeopardizing one of their franchises that people care about. If the whole thing is a failure, oh well, not many people care about Dungeon Siege in 2022 anyway.

As for when, S-E bought Dungeon Siege in...2010, I think?

This, yeah. I enjoyed Dungeon Siege III but not enough to finish it.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
They had to use the shittiest IP they have so people wouldn't lose their shit lmao

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
VRChat has crazy-ass user created content (avatars and worlds) because it is literally Unity. You can easily show off stuff you made in Unity (or Blender then imported into Unity) and instantly have it in front of an community of players and "makers". Maybe a streamer will play your map! Maybe you get popular enough to work on a collab map? Cool!

Dreams has crazy user created content because the creation tools are unique and novel – forged from a talented developer who learned how to make great content creation tools on a console via the LBP trilogy.

This... thing... will never reach the point of either VRChat or Dreams. Not by any metric – community size, quality of content, nothing.

Stop trying to make Fetch happen.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The only way for Square to understand we don't care about shit like this & quit this endeavor altogether is not to buy it. Please vote with your wallets before this infiltrates more of their properties.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the people handwaving their initial announcement as just something they were talking up for investors

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's legit sad to see.

Dungeon SIege deserves better than this.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Dungeon Siege was one of my favorite isometric RPG franchises until Square took over the franchise. Stuff like this really sucks. Everyone is just super greedy these days across the board.