• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
And yet somehow FFXII managed it:

latest

Our kind doesn't speak of this.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they did this on purpose.

There is no fucking way this was greenlit for final release.

They want the retweets and the memes.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that carbuncle design on twitter this morning and thought it was a photoshop, wtf

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The Chocobo Chick is intentionally meant to look like its has Cloud's hair as a throwback to Tifa telling Cloud his hair looks like a chocobo when you find a nest of baby Chicobos on the Corel train tracks.

I figured it was something like this, but they didn't have to make it look deformed with a head like 3x too large for it's face :(

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a minor disagreement on a design of a paywalled summon that the average consumer won't even see. No need to throw your toys out of the pram.

Nah, please just stop quoting me. I never said the design looks good, just said it's a possible explanation for the way the chicks's hair looks but then you came with the "justifing something you're excited about it" bullshit.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
XIII perfected the Chocobo chick so it seems weird to make such a dramatic change.

That new design looks too intelligent in the eyes that it just looks wrong.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Take Orville, take Bungle.

dGb2oTi.png

kshhF4c.png

Keeping the head the same size, shrink their faces.

You get Chocobo Chick and Carbuncle.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
why did they have to make the carbuncle and chocobo have such big foreheads...it looks like they have psychic abilities...the moogle also looks so weird now.

Hard to mess with the Cactuar design though

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Horrid design. FFXIV is basically an Eevee evolution, but it's basically perfection.

tumblr_nsktd6RVRE1rnbb4do1_r1_500.gif

The FFXV fennec-inspired Carbuncle is great too.

ad94e32bffb93b0c8dcc741d110dc58a8f80a8f9_hq.gif

Dunno how you go from those to this.

The moogle is really bad too. Looks like a teddy bear. Not sure how you can even mess that up when a blueprint of what it's supposed to look like is right in the name. Its Japanese name is a portmanteau of mole and bat. They're molebats.

And yet somehow FFXII managed it:

latest
This is a Cactoid, not a Cactuar. It doesn't even use 1000 Needles.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The Chocobo Chick is intentionally meant to look like its has Cloud's hair as a throwback to Tifa telling Cloud his hair looks like a chocobo when you find a nest of baby Chicobos on the Corel train tracks.

hqdefault.jpg
Those aren't Chicobos, they are Cockatrice chicks. You are given the option to take the treasure or leave it be. If you choose the latter, you get the above dialog, but if you choose the former, you are attacked by mom Cockatrice, and in a dark turn, you kill her and leave the chicks without a mother.

SzK9b63.jpg

A bit more generic sure, but I would take it over that abomination
I just don't care for the cutey "puppy/fox/kitty wiht a gem on its forehead" Carbuncle. To me, it's supposed to be a fantasy creature, not a known creature just with a red gem on its head. I mentioned in the other thread, original Carbuncle looks like a rabbit-lizard, and the MORE different animals you can use to describe a fictional creature, the more "fantasy creature" it is, especially animals as different as a rabbit and a lizard.
latest
latest

Red XIII is a wolf-lion. If he just looked like a wolf or just like a lion, that would ruin his fantastical nature, IMO, EVEN with the firey tail.

Besides, we need more hulked out Carbuncle, like in FFV. Such a failed opportunity to never see this one again, and yes, totally a fantasy creature. Instead of just being a rabbit-lizard, it's a rabbit-lizard-sloth-horse. Shoot that fantasy all over me.
latest

I prefer that kinda hodgepodge critter Chimera alchemy over the more Pokemon-looking "pet Carbuncles".

Last edited:

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Since we have summons from other games like Cactuar and Carbuncle, can we get some Diablos/Atomos and Gilgamesh action?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Those aren't Chicobos, they are Cockatrice chicks. You are given the option to take the treasure or leave it be. If you choose the latter, you get the above dialog, but if you choose the former, you are attacked by mom Cockatrice, and in a dark turn, you kill her and leave the chicks without a mother.

Yeah I know, but I always just assumed the cockatrice was just stealing the nest, because the little chicks are so yellow like chocobos (and because of what Tifa says).

Or it was them putting the cockatrice in as the nearest enemy they could for the battle because they didn't want to make you kill an actual chocobo.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know, but I always just assumed the cockatrice was just stealing the nest, because the little chicks are so yellow like chocobos (and because of what Tifa says).

Or it was them putting the cockatrice in as the nearest enemy they could for the battle because they didn't want to make you kill an actual chocobo.
I understand the assumption, but Cockatrices have always been "chicken-monsters" and chicks ARE yellow (even though when they become full-grown chickens, they lose those yellow feathers.

It always irked me to see baby chocobos being represented as looking LIKE chicks (or being as small as chicks, like in FFXIII). I'd figure baby chocobos to look more like, in comparison to adults, as baby ostriches do. Baby ostriches look like big ostriches, just considerably smaller.

In my opinion, baby chocobos should be similar. FFVIII and FFIX have my personal ideal take on baby chocobos:
latest
latest

Funny too, Nomura drew that art for FFVIII's Chicobo. Looks, basically, like a mini-version of the Chocobos you see in both FFVII and FFVIII.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
Carby looks atrocious. Seriously wtf were they thinking. I'm not normally one for one petitions or hashtags but ffs this has to be changed. It is legit extremely bad. Can't we have FF11 carby or hell anything that doesn't look like this.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
haha honestly I don't mind any of these. i dont know what they used to look like in FVII or how other final fantasy games portrayed them.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Why does Carbuncle look like a dog? I guess there is nothing wrong with that, but almost every incarnation he looked like a fox-like rabbit hybrid. I guess the lack elongated face like his previous incarnations.